Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I doubt it too.
    I was listening to Radio 2 this morning and they talking bond 25, and replayed an interview with DC where he was asked how long it takes to make a Bond film and he replied saying over 2 years, on that basis eon must already have some bones of Bond 25 laid out.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    If there were to be back-to-back Bond films why would they only announce one?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    ...As if in answer...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/movies/632581/Daniel-Craig-James-Bond-007-in-line-for-to-more-films

True - it's just another tabloid story - but the two-picture angle would appear to buttress the back to back shoot notion. We'll all add a dash of salt, and make of it what we will.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Looks like the tabloids are really going to run with the "Craig is back" story and embellish it with old rumors and a two picture deal. Unless they are going to shoot 25 and 26 back to back I can't see Craig doing two more with the time between Bond films these days.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Thank god, that Idris Elba speculation can be put to bed :s

He's had a bloody good run at something he wasn't ever on a 'list' for in the first place :s :))

I still talk to people who think he's been cast! :)) Had it not been for Amy Pascal's offhand remark in one leaked email, do you think anyone in the general public would have even considered Elba playing the role?

Amy Pascal didn't come up with Elba as Bond. That had been pushed by the media already for a few years at that point. Time magazine was suggesting Elba as the next Bond at the time of Skyfall's release, and Americans (including Amy Pascal) were loving the idea then.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    HowardB wrote:
    Looks like the tabloids are really going to run with the "Craig is back" story and embellish it with old rumors and a two picture deal. Unless they are going to shoot 25 and 26 back to back I can't see Craig doing two more with the time between Bond films these days.

The back-to-back theory would make sense for Craig, I suppose: coupled with the extra year in the meantime for him to do other things, and relax with his family, etc....then he puts his nose to the 007 grindstone in a major way, exercises all of his contracted options, makes bank...and then bids adieu.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    ....Bond is the family business and a cultural icon. Michael Wilson is 75 but Barbara is only 51. Wilson's sons are both involved in the Bond films now and I could see Michael Wilson stepping back a bit....
    good golly, I never realised he was so up there in the years department
    I'd been assuming they were both these kids in their 20s who'd inherited dad's business and didn't really understand what it was all about
    Barbara's my age, so she would have been a bit too young even during the Dalton era, i.e. college age
    but Michael must have been around when the original team were still doing those classic Moore-era films in the 70s. He must be very hands-off at this point, to have allowed it all to get so far astray
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

He's had a bloody good run at something he wasn't ever on a 'list' for in the first place :s :))

I still talk to people who think he's been cast! :)) Had it not been for Amy Pascal's offhand remark in one leaked email, do you think anyone in the general public would have even considered Elba playing the role?

Amy Pascal didn't come up with Elba as Bond. That had been pushed by the media already for a few years at that point. Time magazine was suggesting Elba as the next Bond at the time of Skyfall's release, and Americans (including Amy Pascal) were loving the idea then.

That shows how much attention I paid to that particular rumor. ;) As far back as Skyfall? I was giving Amy too much credit.
    Matt S wrote:

That shows how much attention I paid to that particular rumor. ;) As far back as Skyfall? I was giving Amy too much credit.

Actually, I just found it goes back earlier than Skyfall. Here's him addressing the rumour of him being the next Bond in September 2011, before Skyfall was even announced: http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2011/09/28/140870300/idris-elba-the-man-who-is-luther-was-stringer-and-could-be-james-bond

I think a lot of people here underestimate what a big deal Idris Elba being Bond is to the Americans.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    But you Americans have xxx :)
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Funny thing is....I am an American and other than the tab and internet stuff I've never really heard anyone talk about Idris Elba being Bond or the next Bond. Maybe I'm just out of the loop? :))
    welshboy78 wrote:
    But you Americans have xxx :)

Gag me :o :))
    HowardB wrote:
    Funny thing is....I am an American and other than the tab and internet stuff I've never really heard anyone talk about Idris Elba being Bond or the next Bond. Maybe I'm just out of the loop? :))

I've definitely had some conversations with people about it, but all of those people have been under the age of 35. And all of those conversations have been post-Spectre/slash my wrists. Americans of a certain age feel the need to make everything into a political statement because that's the climate they have grown up in. I think the Elba thing is directly related to that phenomenon.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    HowardB wrote:

I've definitely had some conversations with people about it, but all of those people have been under the age of 35. And all of those conversations have been post-Spectre/slash my wrists. Americans of a certain age feel the need to make everything into a political statement because that's the climate they have grown up in. I think the Elba thing is directly related to that phenomenon.
    ...and it isn't even a Hollywood movie.
    To Americans: in the unfortunate event that the rights are sold, keep your hands off of Bond. You have plenty of other franchises to destroy.
    a reasonable rate of return
    To Americans: in the unfortunate event that the rights are sold, keep your hands off of Bond. You have plenty of other franchises to destroy.

Ironically, it was actually "Americans" (well, North Americans) who successfully brought Bond to the screen. But Cubby and Harry were both Anglophiles and stayed faithful to and respected Bond's British origins, culture and traditions.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    It should also be said that America doesn't just have the XXX series, but also the far better Jason Bourne.
    HowardB wrote:

Ironically, it was actually "Americans" (well, North Americans) who successfully brought Bond to the screen. But Cubby and Harry were both Anglophiles and stayed faithful to and respected Bond's British origins, culture and traditions.

Yeah, if the rights are sold, they will just go from one group of American owners (EON/MGM) to another.
    Number24 wrote:
    It should also be said that America doesn't just have the XXX series, but also the far better Jason Bourne.

The XXX films are awful. The most recent one was as big a bomb as the second, even with Vin Diesel back for whatever that is worth.
    The first couple of Bourne films were very good. The last two, even with Matt Damon back for the most recent one, not so good.
    James Bond has had its ups and downs but has stood the test of time, generation to generation.
    I agree on all of the above.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

probaly wrong( usually am) but didn't Cubby offer the role to both Clinton Eastwood and Burt Reynolds in the early seventies and we're going to make him an American agent!!
  • nafets47nafets47 FloridaPosts: 939MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

The XXX films are awful. The most recent one was as big a bomb as the second, even with Vin Diesel back for whatever that is worth.
    The first couple of Bourne films were very good. The last two, even with Matt Damon back for the most recent one, not so good.
    James Bond has had its ups and downs but has stood the test of time, generation to generation.

XXX is AWFUL!! I couldnt believe that was really a thing :))

I however really enjoyed all of the Bourne films. Matt Damon is very good, and plus who else makes bad guys scared when grabbing a magazine

bourne-magazine.jpg

Best,
    Stefan
    superdaddy wrote:
    probaly wrong( usually am) but didn't Cubby offer the role to both Clinton Eastwood and Burt Reynolds in the early seventies and we're going to make him an American agent!!
    It's hard to separate reality from Hollywood myth when it comes to who Cubby offered the Bond role to. Some theorize that Cubby would put stuff out there like that to try to gain an upper hand when Roger Moore was playing hardball when negotiating a new deal. Cubby was also known to flatter his friends by telling them they could do Bond. We do know for sure that James Brolin was screen tested for Bond and John Gavin may have also been a serious candidate for DAF had Connery not come back. I always wonder if Cubby would have had Gavin or Brolin coached up to do a proper British accent or literally would have re-booted the whole thing and made Bond American (IMO a disaster).
    HowardB wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:
    It's hard to separate reality from Hollywood myth when it comes to who Cubby offered the Bond role to. Some theorize that Cubby would put stuff out there like that to try to gain an upper hand when Roger Moore was playing hardball when negotiating a new deal. Cubby was also known to flatter his friends by telling them they could do Bond. We do know for sure that James Brolin was screen tested for Bond and John Gavin may have also been a serious candidate for DAF had Connery not come back. I always wonder if Cubby would have had Gavin or Brolin coached up to do a proper British accent or literally would have re-booted the whole thing and made Bond American (IMO a disaster).

They might have just dubbed James Bond. They dubbed anyone they could in the old Bond films!
    Brolin was actually cast as Bond pre DAF, but when Connery returned he gave up his role and the contract.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    That's John Gavin, N24.
    Sorry, I mixer them up :s
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:

I tend to think that after a certain point the oft-screentested Michael Billington was being used as a bargaining chip by Cubby in negotiating with Roger Moore. He was well-built and handsome but the wig didn't help (though at least two Bonds used one) and I don't think he had the acting range. By the time of Octopussy he was perhaps a shade too old - only about 5 years older that Tim Dalton but those few years make a big difference in your forties.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    IanFryer wrote:
    HowardB wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:

John Gavin was signed up as James Bond. This is mentioned in the Making of Diamonds Are Forever DVD feature. Gavin retained his fee despite losing the role to Connery. He's the only American actor to have been cast as Eon's James Bond! Perhaps the ultimate James Bond movie trivia fact.

It's true to say many actors were approached to play Bond but not officially offered the part - actors like Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds, Adam West.

Timothy Dalton said he wasn't offered the part of Bond in OHMSS, he was merely approached and declined the role due to his young age.

I'm guessing the number of actors to have been given a formal offer is very small. John Gavin is one of an elite group of actors to get such an offer.
    Matt S wrote:
    They might have just dubbed James Bond. They dubbed anyone they could in the old Bond films!

I was thinking the same thing :)) . I would think that John Gavin was too big of a name to get away with dubbing. Gavin was probably a good enough actor that he could have been coached to have enough of a British accent to get away with it (he certainly looked like Bond). Lois Maxwell was actually Canadian. If you listen closely in the first few films her accent is very neutral, just a hint of Brit.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    bonded123 wrote:
    IanFryer wrote:
    HowardB wrote:

John Gavin was signed up as James Bond. This is mentioned in the Making of Diamonds Are Forever DVD feature. Gavin retained his fee despite losing the role to Connery. He's the only American actor to have been cast as Eon's James Bond! Perhaps the ultimate James Bond movie trivia fact.

It's true to say many actors were approached to play Bond but not officially offered the part - actors like Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds, Adam West.

Timothy Dalton said he wasn't offered the part of Bond in OHMSS, he was merely approached and declined the role due to his young age.

I'm guessing the number of actors to have been given a formal offer is very small. John Gavin is one of an elite group of actors to get such an offer.

I think it's bit like the British honours system where an elaborate dance around offer and acceptance takes place to shore the thing up and avoid embarrassment. I recall a rumour where David Bowie made it clear that he would not accept a Knighthood so one was never offered. You could imagine it now with Hiddleston for example " if we were to offer x how would it be received?" ...or indeed DC...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
This discussion has been closed.