Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

I don't think Craig feels superior, it's just that money is not enough of an incentive.

Whilst I agree that I don't understand his motives, as in, who wouldn't take 68 million, BUT to him, it's not worth the money.

I think he's in a can't win situation. If he did one more BECAUSE of the money, he'd be criticised.
    Don't take the role, and he's still criticised :#

When actually...as Bond fans, we're just gutted because he obviously doesn't feel passionate enough to continue. (But, I'd rather he quit, than do a substandard performance)

I totally agree with you Lexi.

Craig, like Dalton, is an 'actor' first and foremost and I'm surprised Craig stayed for 4 movies tbh.

He already has enough money to do what he wants to do so maybe to him turning down 68 million ( :o :o ) isn't a problem.

I wouldn't want him to do it for the money only. If that is how he feels, he should move on.

Out of interest Lexi, what do think of Poldak and Loki ?? Obviously us girlies see Bond slightly different to the guys. :)) :))
  • Kaleema007Kaleema007 Posts: 322MI6 Agent
    Daniel Craig has reportedly turned down £68 million (approximately $99 million) to play James Bond in two more movies. its actually a lot more money in the states :o :o :o :o
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

I don't think Craig feels superior, it's just that money is not enough of an incentive.

Whilst I agree that I don't understand his motives, as in, who wouldn't take 68 million, BUT to him, it's not worth the money.

I think he's in a can't win situation. If he did one more BECAUSE of the money, he'd be criticised.
    Don't take the role, and he's still criticised :#

When actually...as Bond fans, we're just gutted because he obviously doesn't feel passionate enough to continue. (But, I'd rather he quit, than do a substandard performance)

I totally agree with you Lexi.

Craig, like Dalton, is an 'actor' first and foremost and I'm surprised Craig stayed for 4 movies tbh.

He already has enough money to do what he wants to do so maybe to him turning down 68 million ( :o :o ) isn't a problem.

I wouldn't want him to do it for the money only. If that is how he feels, he should move on.

Out of interest Lexi, what do think of Poldak and Loki ?? Obviously us girlies see Bond slightly different to the guys. :)) :))
    Shocking...
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:
    If the rumors were true I gain a ton of respect for DC. Not many people could turn down that money. Ive loved him as Bond but if his heart is not in it then don't phone it in.

Some people's respect may grow - I am quite the contrary!

Let's face it - playing James Bond is not like cleaning the toilets in the SABS bar!
    There are worse things in life than spending 1 1/2 years playing the role and get 68 -:2 million quid for that.

While I am not saying that everyone should follow the money only - Craig redefined the role and made millions of moviegoers happy. He's still in good shape and would earn a shitload of money for being again in a popular role while sleeping in 5-star hotels, driving a company Aston Martin in his real life - free watches - free clothing and so on.

I am asking myself how lifted-off from reality a person must be to decline such an offer.
    IMO it's arrogant and obscene and incredibly stupid for him not doing it again!

There are thousands of talented actors which struggle to make a living from acting - they are working their arses off in other jobs and would be over the moon to receive such an offer.

But Mr. Craig feels to be too superior to do the role again.

Sorry, but I am slightly guttet.

Well at least you're not taking it personally :)
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Im sorry DC's tenure has come to an end, but maybe it's time for a fresh face, I was a DC fan before he was bond and I'll look forward to his future projects. His films have and will continue to entertain me. I honestly think DC has found his integrity can't be bought and if can't give the role 100% he's done.... At any price.
    I also look forward to bond 25, and bonds future. Long may it last.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Im sorry DC's tenure has come to an end, but maybe it's time for a fresh face, I was a DC fan before he was bond and I'll look forward to his future projects. His films have and will continue to entertain me. I honestly think DC has found his integrity can't be bought and if can't give the role 100% he's done.... At any price.
    I also look forward to bond 25, and bonds future. Long may it last.

+1 {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    I would however add that I'd prefer a relative unknown to take the role now, not Loki or Poldark!

This won't come as a surprise to anyone who knew me here back in '05, as the first shots were fired across the borderlands in the Craig WarsTM...but I'm going to give Tom the benefit of the doubt -{ I don't think we'll get Loki, or Poldark.. we're going to get a Brand New James Bond; a fresh interpretation with its own distinctive fingerprint, as we have six times previously :007)

Once the requisite pressers have happened, Eon and MGM need to sign a distributor deal, and get back to work!

Good point. If it does turn out to be Hiddelston (or anyone else), it will be his, EON's, the director and the writers interpretation of Bond.
    Specifically regarding Hiddleston, it won't be a carbon copy of his role in the Night Manager either; that character is a guy with military background thrown into the world of undercover espionage, with no prior experience or formal training......not James Bloody Badass Blunt Instrument License to Kill Bond; It would not be a reach to believe that Hiddleston, a very good actor, will approach things a bit differently as Bond.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I worked in the film and television industry for several years and saw plenty of arrogance first-hand and it was pretty sickening. I can respect an actor with talent, but the reality is a great many actors can't really act and drift through well-paid careers by playing themselves and giving everyone else attitude along the way. I am nauseated by actors who think they're the most important thing in the world and despite having the IQ of a cucumber, thinking that they're world leaders. I have no time for anyone like that. However...

I see no arrogance at all in DC's supposed position. Quite the contrary, in fact. I heartily agree with those who've said he's showing integrity. Arrogance would be holding EON hostage and demanding silly money for the next film or two with an "I earned you a billion with Skyfall" attitude. Integrity is declining the money, politely walking away, and, presumably, instead opting to do whatever projects he chooses whether that's stage or indy films even though he knows he'll make way less money.

Arrogance was Christoph Waltz saying on the red carpet at the premier that all of that was ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Arrogance was not DC working the red carpet for ages, signing every single autograph within reach until his arm fell off and posing for every selfie thrust his way.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Though many people here want Craig to stay on, the public is now ready for a new Bond. I'd blame this mostly on the media and not on Craig. But Craig's negative comments only made matters worse. I'm aware that I'm still in the minority of people who don't like his portrayal, but I'll admit his portrayal has the least to do with public's desire for a new Bond.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • OmegamanOmegaman Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    Tom Hiddleston or Aiden Turner for Bond. Please no Idris Elba, Tom Hardy or Damian Lewis.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I agree with almost everything that you said above TDE - but still can't understand his decision - particularly if he really has the 5 movie contract.

{[] {[] {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I agree Higgy-poo, I really thought he'd make the fifth one his last - assuming that it's true that he had a four-film contract with an option for a fifth (the option presumably lying with both him and EON). I'm DC's age and I'm very active and in decent shape but over the past few years I've really noticed the aches and pains, the sore back, the wonky knee etc from years of playing football etc etc. In other words, although I may look like a 17 year old and act like Thunderpussy :) , I'm getting old. There's a big part of me that thinks that maybe DC is feeling the way I'm feeling and that he's not sure that his body is up to another 3-6 months of pre-production 8-hour days in the gym plus the filming of the action sequences. Yes, he could handle a less-physical Bond, but that wouldn't be the DC Bond. So, rather than dilute his Bond, he steps away and hands the reins to someone else. Just a guess, but based on the way my body creaks and groans these days, I suspect that if I was him, no matter how much I enjoyed being Bond I might also reach a similar decision.
    Higgy-poo

tve7990-208-19821111-0.jpg

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent
    There's video of Wilson saying "we don't have a contract." The stories about the five-film contract - you can go and Google them - have no source attribution.
    Someone previously stated, that this was a bad game-move by MGW and that Craig confirmed somewhere that he had a contract of five.

• Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Agreed. I hope Mendes is out. Between Newman, Temime, and the excessive color filters (in that order), there are just too many elements I don't like.

I feel exactly the same way.
    Based on Mendes saying he wasn't doing Bond 25.

He also said he wasn't doing Bond 24.

Didn't Mendes announce that he was going to do that movie with Spielberg about the voyeur?
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Arrogance was Christoph Waltz saying on the red carpet at the premier that all of that was ridiculous and completely unnecessary. Arrogance was not DC working the red carpet for ages, signing every single autograph within reach until his arm fell off and posing for every selfie thrust his way.

I'm glad you said that about Waltz.

I liked him as an actor and was delighted when he was cast in Bond but felt he did all the promotion like he had a bad smell under his nose. I have really gone off him.
    Omegaman wrote:
    Tom Hiddleston or Aiden Turner for Bond. Please no Idris Elba, Tom Hardy or Damian Lewis.
    Channel 5 news has done a 5 minute article on this tonight in the UK, citing hiddleston, Idris Elba (groans loudly) and Damien Lewis as the favourites for the job. And of course as everyone these days has to be soo pc the reporters cooed about Elba being the first black bond......what utter tosh, one of the reporters also referred to qos as the film we don't mention!
    Again what tosh....I know qos has many detractors for various reasons but IMHO it's a great film, it has a great score ( title song not withstanding) a great wardrobe, an Aston Martin the ppk returning, some great locations and it was the film that made bond accessible. Look 007s wearing jeans (as did Fleming's) Look 007s drinking a beer.....from a bottle!, look 007 headbutts bad guys... What's not to mention -{
    Lady Rose wrote:

I'm glad you said that about Waltz.

I liked him as an actor and was delighted when he was cast in Bond but felt he did all the promotion like he had a bad smell under his nose. I have really gone off him.
    Waltz is an odd odd fellow I think
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    this "Daniel Craig quits Bond" tabloid has really caught like wildfire, its everywhere on social media. Probably best for Craig to officially call it quits as the momentum seems to be heading towards whose gonna be the next Bond?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,486Chief of Staff
    Well, it's certainly generating publicity- which is perhaps the object.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " I have no objection " ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    There's no public denial from Eon that I'm aware of. It looks like the pump has been primed, the gears have been greased, the balloon has been floated...pick your metaphor. Silence can speak volumes.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The ball has been placed in the mouth ? :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent
    BBC entertainment say that Daniel Craig has not decided on whether to come back and won't be deciding for a while
    Anthony
    I'd like to hear an unambiguous denial from Craig's people or Eon (attributed by name, rather than 'anonymous sources').
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I'd like to hear an unambiguous denial from Craig's people or Eon (attributed by name, rather than 'anonymous sources').

I don't think we'll hear anything until they have something to announce. They don't usually address rumours. They'd be very busy if they did!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:

I don't think we'll hear anything until they have something to announce. They don't usually address rumours. They'd be very busy if they did!

Well, that's the paradox. They do have something to announce, :s but it's clearly not advantageous to do it yet. They must be watching for the right planetary alignment.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,486Chief of Staff
    ...which is generating publicity as I said earlier!
    edited May 2016
    Barbel wrote:

:)) Yes, the simplest explanation is probably the right one...and free publicity is the best kind.

Ah, the frustrations of die-hard fandom ;%
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

:)) Yes, the simplest explanation is probably the right one...and free publicity is the best kind.

Ah, the frustrations of die-hard fandom ;%
    Quite.
    I love Dan. He put in his time. He worked HARD at it.
    Buddha bless him if he doesn't want to continue.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
This discussion has been closed.