Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Would be nice if you told us his name ....
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Can I firstly say, I don't want DC to stop at 4 - I think his tenure has been probably the most enjoyable Bond era for me and I've been lucky enough to live through all the Bonds, bar Connery.

However, when I watched Spectre last year, the end of the film did feel like an ending - job done, that's your lot. Drive off in THE car with the girl by your side.

If there's to be a new actor taking the role, can I put forward this contender:

rafespall.jpg

I recognize him....he was a waiter at my friend's daughter's wedding reception :D :s -{
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Would be nice if you told us his name ....

It's little-known actor and friend of DC, Rafe Spall.
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Sir Rog has tweeted that DC has not quit, the plot thickens!!!!
    I remember Rafe Spall as being a big, heavy guy...he has really slimmed down. Definately looks to leading man material now.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:

I've gotten the sense Sir Rog and Daniel Craig have a good relationship, so my guess is that Roger's tweet was less about him having inside info and more and him bristling at what he deems disrespectful tabloid gossip regarding Craig.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:

Interesting! {[]
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    superdaddy wrote:

I've gotten the sense Sir Rog and Daniel Craig have a good relationship, so my guess is that Roger's tweet was less about him having inside info and more and him bristling at what he deems disrespectful tabloid gossip regarding Craig.

Yes indeed. And there is a big 'wait for an official announcement' movement among fandom on Facebook, which is understandable; I was in that camp until I heard what I heard from a solid source ;) Still, formalities must be observed, so we wait for the proper phase of the moon, or whatever :p
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

Out of interest Lexi, what do think of Poldak and Loki ?? Obviously us girlies see Bond slightly different to the guys. :)) :))

Okay, so after getting over the heartbreak of Craig leaving... :( and the choices of Hiddleston and Turner....

As Poldark, OH MY.... yes, yes and yes :x (I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers :)) )
    26D65D1100000578-0-image-a-19_1427707227357.jpg

As Bond, I think he has it too... the 'cruel mouth' for sure - and the brooding look, the angry stare.

As for Hiddleston, well, :#
    I'm not so keen. I haven't seen him as Loki - and I do think he's too slight for Bond.

He was way too smiley in The Night Manager - but I'll wait to see him in the role (if rumours are to be believed) and then decide.

As an aside, I was really against Cavill for Bond, but then I saw him on GN a while back, and he interviewed really well. My views have definitely changed about him - however that boat has now sailed.

Aidan would be my top choice and I would not be surprised if the producers pick him for a number of reasons. One, he physically looks the part. Two, he's already proven himself in the acting dept. Three, he's young and could pack in a good number of films as Bond. Four, he's not as well known internationally as the other picks, which gives him an edge in being more accepted in the role as Craig eventually was. Five, as he's not a top earner like the others yet, his contract would not probably cost as much. Six, he would probably love to do it since it would really cement his career as well as make him wealthy. Seven, his scheduling availability might be more flexible than the other more well known choices.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent
    I was in that camp until I heard what I heard from a solid source ;)

Might need to re-skin that drum, at this rate it's going to get worn out!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited May 2016

Nah; done beating it, and my sincere apologies if you're tired of hearing it. The ritual Kabuki drama must play out, and there's nothing else to say on this thread. Events will play out as they will.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Operation BedlamOperation Bedlam FinlandPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    If the choice for the next actor is really going to be between Aidan Turner and Tom Hiddleston, I would definitely choose Hiddleston. He's not perfect but I liked him in The Night Manager and I think he could do a solid job if they give him a good script. I could see him finding a good balance between charming and menacing as Bond.

Turner on the other hand looks more like a cast member from Made in Chelsea :)) I just can't see him delivering the necessary physicality and violence that the modern cinematic Bond in my mind requires.

My dream choice would have definitely been Michael Fassbender but as we all know he was probably never a realistic option to begin with.

Still hoping that the next Bond actor will be someone a little Daltonesque mixed with a QOS-era Craig from the Mr. Slate fight scene.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent

Nah; done beating it, and my sincere apologies if you're tired of hearing it. The ritual Kabuki drama must play out, and there's nothing else to say on this thread. Events will play out as they will.

No need to apologize; I just want to hear more!
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    My wife solidly agrees with Lexi whereas I am leaning towards Hiddleston. I believe that Hiddleston can bulk-up, have his hair styled more appropriately and have his forehead surgically reduced. I am afraid that I do not believe that there is an industrial lawnmower anywhere in the world that is capable of aiding Mr Turner's transition into Bond. :D
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I'm warming up to Hiddleston more but still not there. I'm still on the Fassbender camp as unlikely as it may seem. I really do think he'D make a great Bond.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    All these names!

Now I'm going to have to reserve the domain names Tom Hiddleston is Not Bond and Aidan Turner is Not Bond to go with my sites Idris Elba is Not Bond, Dan Stevens is Not Bond, Henry Cavill is Not Bond, Tom Hardy is Not Bond, Michael Fassbender is Not Bond, Damien Lewis is Not Bond, and Rowen Atkinson is Not Bond (to be on the safe side).

No matter what happens, I figure I got the situation wired.
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    Even though there is a large degree of rumour mongering in these press stories it does appear to have an air of truth about it. I have to admit I will be pretty shattered if they are indeed true and Daniel is stepping away. I feel that it's not quite mission accomplished yet, and that he really needs to do a fifth film to round everything off. But if he's done he's done. It kinda feels like Connery in 67, the pressure and the demands of the role got to him and he left. However as Connery came back to Bond twice more it is pretty evident that he hadn't actually got the role out of his system and should have stayed on after YOLT. I'm not saying Craig will feel the same way (obviously, who knows what he's thinking) But I do think he should stick around for one film and round off the Blofeld story that they have embarked on. I actually think that if Daniel was to leave now it will feel quite jarring after Spectre left that storyline wide open. This isn't the 60s and you simply won't get away with continuing the same story line with a new actor. They will have to start completely again which will do a terrible disservice to Blofeld and to Spectre as a plot device. Furthermore if they counter this problem by recasting Blofeld and the Spectre crew that as well will be jarring. Basically do one more Danny boy :)) As for Hiddleston well...I was totally against it. However I have now seen the Night Manager and I have to admit, he would be great as Bond, and if he is indeed the next one well I'll be pretty happy with that. Sure he may not be the buffest of potential Bonds, but he is a great actor and there is something incredibly likeable about him. My ideal situation would be for Craig to do one more, and then Hiddleston to take over from there. That would be the smoothest transition for the series I think. Anyways, we'll just wait and see :)
    I just finished Episode 5 of The Night Manager and Hiddleston is really starting to grow on me as a potential Bond. In that episode his hair wasn't quite as poofed up and it looked much better for Bond IMO. There was also a very brutal fight scene and I think he acquitted himself well despite the less than stellar cinematography...certainly that will be vastly improved in a Bond film. Hiddleston does have a swimmer's physique but he is not far off from looking right for Bond; he's a bit slight in the upper arms and forearms which could be easily fixed with some time in the gym. He also looked good kitted out in military fatigues...it looked natural, not like some model wearing military gear.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I just want some news already... Daily mail says he's out, BBC and Roger Moore say he's not quit.... I want him to stay, but above all I just want some official news now otherwise I will go crazy and drive a firetruck through San Francisco
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    edited May 2016
    I think EON will just let it roll and drive us all crazy.

I mean its huge FREE publicity on the back of SPECTRE with nothing even happening film wise - they must be over the moon!!
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

Yeh, silence does that. :#
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Yeh, silence does that. :#

I can't see its in Eon's interest to make an announcement, not now, or for some time yet. The next film is so far off the Radar that Hiddleston or anyone else probably cannot plan for it. They run the risk of being hostage to fortune for no discernable benefit. For Daniel I doubt it matters as he may feel he has made his position clear. He might prefer an 'official' announcement in the public domain, but for now all he can do is to say as he has done, that he is 'out'. It also leaves a chink in the door for a last minute change of heart, but I think it's unlikely. For the time being we are in 'death valley'. Best get used to it.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    He might prefer an 'official' announcement in the public domain, but for now all he can do is to say as he has done, that he is 'out'.

Yeah but I don't think he has said he is "out" which is why all the speculation
    welshboy78 wrote:

I mean its huge FREE publicity on the back of SPECTRE with nothing even happening film wise - they must be over the moon!!

The workings/machinations within EON are a mystery. They are an odd outfit on my view. What I do get from talking with some chums in the industry that its well known that they want to be taken seriously as a credible force. Hence their mostly stalled attempts to do more than just Bond (remember the Jinx fiasco?) The current position makes them look directionless and a little out of control, so I guess they may have mixed feelings about it but we can't be sure.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:
    He might prefer an 'official' announcement in the public domain, but for now all he can do is to say as he has done, that he is 'out'.

Yeah but I don't think he has said he is "out" which is why all the speculation

"Hello hello, you say goodbye and I say hello" ;)
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    If the choice for the next actor is really going to be between Aidan Turner and Tom Hiddleston, I would definitely choose Hiddleston. He's not perfect....

If Bond 25 is out winter 2018 filming will start early 2018 or late 2107. In theory the new actor can be picked/announced autumn 2017. Craig was announced autumn 2005 - 14th October 2005.

There is no rush to pick the new guy so it doesn't mean it has to be Turner or Hiddleston. Who knows what new names may pop up in the next 12 months? Best to keep an open mind.
  • Operation BedlamOperation Bedlam FinlandPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    bonded123 wrote:
    There is no rush to pick the new guy so it doesn't mean it has to be Turner or Hiddleston. Who knows what new names may pop up in the next 12 months? Best to keep an open mind.

Yes this is true of course. The most probable candidates for the role might be some under the radar names who haven't even been mentioned in any media speculations. Still keeping my fingers crossed for Fassbender, however unlikely that is.
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    I still think Dan will be back .Dan has said him self "don't take any notice of the Internet "
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    lotus wrote:
    I still think Dan will be back .Dan has said him self "don't take any notice of the Internet "

But when the bookies 'close the book' on a contender it generally means something...
    YNWA 97
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    Everything is rumours and rubbish. Get the blue ray bond collection on and enjoy them .until something official is said it's all a waste of breath
This discussion has been closed.