Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    BIG TAM wrote:
    What I do have a problem with is the need for lies. Both Sam Smith & Christoph Waltz did so on SPECTRE numerous times - Smith denying his involvement; Waltz stating he wasn't Blofeld. I appreciate they may wish to dodge such issues but surely there's no need for downright lying. It insults my intelligence & treats me like a chump - something I'm not keen on.

Waltz really wasn't Blofeld. He truly was Oberhauser and only changed his name to Blofeld. Maybe there's a real Blofeld locked up somewhere and Oberhauser was only pretending to be him.
    That is absolutely brilliant!!
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    The fact that people genuinely want a female bond is beyond depressing.

Why do people want to ruin this franchise constantly?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    So I take it, in the spirit of being politically correct and " up to date" we are all supposed to just betray everything Fleming wrote and the structure of his character that he created as a man?!?
    I'm absolutely on board that there should be female 00 agents and attractive, feminine and completely capable they should be! And also have absolutely no romantic links to bond!
    To change bond into a female serves no purpose at all except kowtowing to the right on pc brigade who attempt to make nothing sacred! I've said it before only white heterosexual men are fair game these days, could you imagine if Dr Jean grey into Dr John grey? .... Don't get me started on Michael Jackson being played by a white guy...wrong wrong wrong! And whilst we are on it absolutely no to Idris Elba.... Black 007 yes if James bond is killed off or retired ( God forbid) , black James bond absolutely no!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited May 2016
    Maybe should have put above post on the rants thread :(
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    This whole 'Jane Bond' thing is ridiculous, and I'll tell you why.

The decision would only be made, primarily, to please feminists who want everyone in movies to be women. That means Sony, who would have a say in this, would want an ultra positive image of a woman Bond, making her look like a perfect human being, who does no wrong. That's exactly what would happen. That would mean we'd lose all the traits of Bond. Alcoholism? That would be thrown out for a positive image. Seducing women? Even if it was changed to seducing men, this would be out as well, because a woman sleeping with many many men probably isn't the image threat to get across with a female Bond.

Exactly this!
    To be honest it's the exact same thing for me by going with a black Bond, or a homosexual Bond or whatever other progressive road you can take to show off Bond is going along with the times. I'm sure in the first few movies the main audience would be all "Look how much more modern Bond has become, it's no longer racist towards black people, or discriminating towards femenists! and such and such"
    But after a few movies that won't be that special anymore, and it would just end up being far away from Fleming and far from what the fans want, and it would end up being rebooted. And when that happens everybody would be like: "Did you hear? Bond returns to his roots! They're now actually going with an hetero sexual, caucasian male that uses women for pleasure! I've heared it's exactly like the old movies, and from the source material that that guy Fleming wrote about! It's going to be the best ever!"

So to me, they can just skip the political correct nonesense and just go with another caucasian hetero sexual male, like it's supposed to be.
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    The fact that people genuinely want a female bond is beyond depressing.

Why do people want to ruin this franchise constantly?

I believe it has more to do with the internet, twitter and the 24/7 News cycle that we live with today.
    Off handed quotes or "sound bites" start making the rounds and get blown up into much, much more than they really are.
    If the Mayor of London is really a true Bond fan, he should post here on the AJB site rather than the Huffington Post -{
    {[]

The decision would only be made, primarily, to please feminists who want everyone in movies to be women. That means Sony, who would have a say in this, would want an ultra positive image of a woman Bond, making her look like a perfect human being, who does no wrong. That's exactly what would happen. That would mean we'd lose all the traits of Bond. Alcoholism? That would be thrown out for a positive image. Seducing women? Even if it was changed to seducing men, this would be out as well, because a woman sleeping with many many men probably isn't the image threat to get across with a female Bond.

Exactly this!
    To be honest it's the exact same thing for me by going with a black Bond, or a homosexual Bond or whatever other progressive road you can take to show off Bond is going along with the times. I'm sure in the first few movies the main audience would be all "Look how much more modern Bond has become, it's no longer racist towards black people, or discriminating towards femenists! and such and such"
    But after a few movies that won't be that special anymore, and it would just end up being far away from Fleming and far from what the fans want, and it would end up being rebooted. And when that happens everybody would be like: "Did you hear? Bond returns to his roots! They're now actually going with an hetero sexual, caucasian male that uses women for pleasure! I've heared it's exactly like the old movies, and from the source material that that guy Fleming wrote about! It's going to be the best ever!"

So to me, they can just skip the political correct nonesense and just go with another caucasian hetero sexual male, like it's supposed to be.
  • Operation BedlamOperation Bedlam FinlandPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Waltz really wasn't Blofeld. He truly was Oberhauser and only changed his name to Blofeld. Maybe there's a real Blofeld locked up somewhere and Oberhauser was only pretending to be him.

Now this is something I'd like to see! -{ Maybe in Bond 25 the real Blofeld can put little Franz Oberhauser out of his misery so we can finally get a proper portrayal of Blofeld.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    BIG TAM wrote:
    What I do have a problem with is the need for lies. Both Sam Smith & Christoph Waltz did so on SPECTRE numerous times - Smith denying his involvement; Waltz stating he wasn't Blofeld. I appreciate they may wish to dodge such issues but surely there's no need for downright lying. It insults my intelligence & treats me like a chump - something I'm not keen on.

Ooh, I like that.

Respectfully, can the anti-PC hand-wringers keep this thread on topic? This is about BOND 25, not about the women and minorities coming to take your franchise away long after you're in the ground. Start another thread for that!
    Matt S wrote:

Now this is something I'd like to see! -{ Maybe in Bond 25 the real Blofeld can put little Franz Oberhauser out of his misery so we can finally get a proper portrayal of Blofeld.
    +1
    As much as I enjoy spectre, I've always taken oberhausers boast of being behind all bonds misfortune as him trying to get in bonds head and wind him up, I also feel Blofeld was badly written and it was a bit of a waste.....I'd have preferred him to stay in the half light and be fully revealed ( not as bonds adopted brother) in a later movie.
    edited May 2016
    Matt S wrote:
    BIG TAM wrote:

Ooh, I like that.

Respectfully, can the anti-PC hand-wringers keep this thread on topic? This is about BOND 25, not about the women and minorities coming to take your franchise away long after you're in the ground. Start another thread for that!
    There is a thread for your bond 25 ideas, this one is for next Bond after Craig rumours etc, as such Idris Elba is a rumour as is a female bond, so it's I think OK to comment on that
  • Operation BedlamOperation Bedlam FinlandPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    As much as I enjoy spectre, I've always taken oberhausers boast of being behind all bonds misfortune as him trying to get in bonds head and wind him up, I also feel Blofeld was badly written and it was a bit of a waste.....I'd have preferred him to stay in the half light and be fully revealed ( not as bonds adopted brother) in a later movie.

I think Spectre would have been vastly improved as a film even if Blofeld was fully revealed in it by simply making him Blofeld with no personal connections to Bond. That would have given the filmmakers much more freedom to use Blofeld again effectively in future films. If Blofeld is going to feature in Bond 25, they are probably stuck with the idea of Blofeld being Franz Oberhauser because I find it highly unlikely they are going to reboot the Spectre storyline after just one film.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't think there are many happy with the "Personal " connection. :#
    I think it was simply a bad idea, and didn't believe the early leaks about it.
    As I thought it was too like Austin Powers, so must obviously be a joke !
    How wrong I wad. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent

You wad wrong! :p

After Daniel Craig's comments about how Bond couldn't do many of the old things because they would make Bond more like Austin Powers. I though he was serious! This will make moving on to the next Bond trickier without a reboot.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    The Tanner suicide thing was pretty interesting - would have been a pretty dark Bond film.

Get mixed up which writer suggested that - guess Logan
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Yes anything other than what we got would have been an improvement, I'm not sure really how they will continue this line, in bond 25, I agree they won't reboot, but at least if TH gets the gig he's used to battling his brother.
    Matt S wrote:

You wad wrong! :p

After Daniel Craig's comments about how Bond couldn't do many of the old things because they would make Bond more like Austin Powers. I though he was serious! This will make moving on to the next Bond trickier without a reboot.
    Yes DC doesn't come out of those comments looking good, given how that element of SP panned out!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Maybe thats why he's wanting to quit. "FFS Babs - you made me look like a right tit with this Austin Powers script"
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Maybe thats why he's wanting to quit. "FFS Babs - you made me look like a right tit with this Austin Powers script"
    :)) that thought occured to me too!
    In my mind it was more,
    Brother!?!? Wtf I've told the world I don't do shtick and here's an effing script full of effing shtick @#(!?@....and an effing half baked Austin fecking powers brother pile of crap. Thats it babs, I'll do this one but then you and Mike can shove brother Blofeld up your trumpet!#@#
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    BIG TAM wrote:

Ooh, I like that.

This is similar to the short film All Hail the King, which Marvel made after the backlash of Iron Man 3 and the Mandarin. Since I saw this post, I've whipped up a story idea and posted it in the story ideas thread that follows this idea.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I saw 'Man from UNCLE' again yesterday for the first time since I saw it in the cinema last year. All I can say is, what a shame that Cavill won't be the next Bond (unless he suddenly gets sacked as Superman). I was never a huge Cavill-for-Bond fan, but watching that film again he physically just looks born to be Fleming's Bond. Oh well.
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Vicsane007 wrote:
    Next Bond will hail from Bollywood.

Bollywood or Nollywood... either way it will work for me. Asha Bosle would be great with the title song!

I take it you are not very familiar with feminism if you think that feminists want everyone in movies to be women who are also perfect human beings. And we should not forget that we have already had a blond Bond, so nothing can stop further evolution now.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:

I take it you are not very familiar with feminism if you think that feminists want everyone in movies to be women who are also perfect human beings. And we should not forget that we have already had a blond Bond, so nothing can stop further evolution now.

IMO you cannot compare a blonde bond to a female bond. True, fleming's bond was not blonde, but to make bond a woman is too far. In other words, there is a line.

Why should bond be female? Most pointless thing ever. Make a new series with a female agent by all means, and it would achieve exactly the same thing, so why interfere with bond? It's ridiculous tbh.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Exactly this!

The only way for Bond to really return to his roots would be if the movies were set in the 1960's again. But they're not, and cinematic Bond has been moving away from the literary Bond, in small increments, ever since Dr No. it may be convenient to blame it on political correctness, but it misses the point. Bond has stopped smoking not to be politically correct, but to reflect 21st century. Likewise, we no longer see gender identity in binary categories, but as a continuum. Not many of us want to see movies in black and white only, literally and figuratively. So why not a female Bond? It should not be about whether the next Bond actor is male or female, but whether they are up to the job.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    If they want to cast a woman as a spy they should invent their own character and leave Bond alone. Bond is a man and should always be one.

If people don't like it then invent a new character that can be a trans male, gay, something other than white and perhaps even disabled. That way they include everyone to their hearts content without having any person(s) feel excluded.

Leave Bond to us dinosaurs. We like HIM just the way he is. -{
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    If they want to cast a woman as a spy they should invent their own character and leave Bond alone. Bond is a man and should always be one.

If people don't like it then invent a new character that can be a trans male, gay, something other than white and perhaps even disabled. That way they include everyone to their hearts content without having any person(s) feel excluded.

If you are feeling like this now, then just think what will happen in just about 20 years' time, when Fleming's works go into the public domain. Anyone can write a book or make a movie about James Bond, and make 007 whatever they want.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Jag wrote:

If you are feeling like this now, then just think what will happen in just about 20 years' time, when Fleming's works go into the public domain. Anyone can write a book or make a movie about James Bond, and make 007 whatever they want.

...as long as they ONLY adapt from Fleming's books (or create new stories out of whole cloth) and don't touch any intellectual property created and owned by Eon, who will jealously guard their logos, themes, film-specific characters, etc. And then of course the market will determine success or failure, once the lawyers have been paid.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    A 1960s film starring Joanna Pettet as Mata Bond coud have been good for a female Bond ...
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Jag wrote:

...as long as they ONLY adapt from Fleming's books (or create new stories out of whole cloth) and don't touch any intellectual property created and owned by Eon, who will jealously guard their logos, themes, film-specific characters, etc. And then of course the market will determine success or failure, once the lawyers have been paid.

Of course, but this has turned out well for Sherlock Holmes, so I am optimistic it will work out for James Bond too.
This discussion has been closed.