Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    eric7064 wrote:
    If the rumors were true I gain a ton of respect for DC. Not many people could turn down that money. Ive loved him as Bond but if his heart is not in it then don't phone it in.

Some people's respect may grow - I am quite the contrary!

Let's face it - playing James Bond is not like cleaning the toilets in the SABS bar!
    There are worse things in life than spending 1 1/2 years playing the role and get 68 -:2 million quid for that.

While I am not saying that everyone should follow the money only - Craig redefined the role and made millions of moviegoers happy. He's still in good shape and would earn a shitload of money for being again in a popular role while sleeping in 5-star hotels, driving a company Aston Martin in his real life - free watches - free clothing and so on.

I am asking myself how lifted-off from reality a person must be to decline such an offer.
    IMO it's arrogant and obscene and incredibly stupid for him not doing it again!

There are thousands of talented actors which struggle to make a living from acting - they are working their arses off in other jobs and would be over the moon to receive such an offer.

But Mr. Craig feels to be too superior to do the role again.

Sorry, but I am slightly guttet.

I too can’t see any arrogance in walking away from a shitload of money. Money should not be anyone’s highest motivation, and if all those millions were thrown DC’s way, then perhaps it is EON who is arrogant, thinking that everyone can be bought, not DC. Yes, there are so many talented actors without work, but it only shows what is wrong with the movie world in general – we should never have a situation when one good actor is jobless when another earns millions. Even if there is a contract for 5 movies or so, such contracts are normally quite complex and would certainly allow for an early termination under certain conditions, such as health reasons for instance. In addition, DC can already afford anything he wants. Whether he gets an extra million, or a billion, won’t really change his life. If he has a passion for acting, let him pursue it rather than just pursue money.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    I agree. DC does a lot of charity work also when he could be sitting on a beach instead.

Besides all this talk has come from the Daily Mail chucking out unconfirmed and mysterious sources. I notice due to this every other newspaper is quoting the Daily Mail - they should know better.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I'm reminded of the old adage about stopped watches -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Well it does keep Bond in the news, at least in the UK. Lots of free pub for EON. The next big official announcement will be who EON and MGM will be taking on as a third wheel in the Bond films. The average film go'er could care less about that news.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Well it does keep Bond in the news, at least in the UK. Lots of free pub for EON. The next big official announcement will be who EON and MGM will be taking on as a third wheel in the Bond films. The average film go'er could care less about that news.

Exactly. I've now seen this news (or non-news) in America, and I'm sure it has made its way around the world. Why should EON publicise anything now when they're all over the news already? Letting the rumours run is probably better for them than shutting them up. EON has it good. At this point with the way public opinion is, I think within the next year it will be the perfect time to announce a new Bond. It's too soon now. It needs to be a full year after SP. All of the hype for the past few years about a new Bond will probably make a new Bond better than Craig returning again. People will be able to handle a new Bond. They've been prepared for it.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    'Could' care less? Meaning, they care to some degree or another?
    Or do you mean 'couldn't care less'?

Sorry- pet grammar peve... :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm certain all the publicity will give Spectre another boost in the rental sales. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,480Chief of Staff
    welshboy78 wrote:
    every other newspaper is quoting the Daily Mail - they should know better.

They do, they just don't care.
    So long as they don't print anything about my threesome with the olive oil
    in the pool. ;)

Agreed they don't care, it fills page space and helps sell papers. Does anyone belive
    anything printed in the papers these days ? I know I don't.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    in the pool. ;)

sssssht. You promised me never to mention it 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    in the pool. ;)

Agreed they don't care, it fills page space and helps sell papers. Does anyone belive
    anything printed in the papers these days ? I know I don't.
    does Popeye know about this? :))
    She was never good enough for him ! ;)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    It is hard work doing Bond. Think of that fight scene in the train in Spectre, it really has to be thought about and choreographed and rehearsed. There's a lot more of that stuff than in the Moore films, where he just sort of karate kicks someone and they fall back. Even in Dalton's films I can't think of any real fisticuffs fight scene off hand.

So Craig may be thinking, how much money to I have to accrue before I can call it a day? And once he gets to 52, what plum roles will come his way?

That said, it does make no sense of the whole Blofeld and Bond history begun in Spectre, where the two are meant to be roughly contemporaries, should a younger actor inhabit the role. Why bring back Blofeld with that kind of back story if you're gonna lose the main actor associated with it?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:

DC has put in some great performances, Flashbacks of a fool is a brilliant film, and also enduring love amongst others. I'm not of the opinion dollars at box office equals a good film.

Funnily enough, I watched Flashbacks just the other night... (one seriously underestimated Craig film imo) and it is a great performance. Enduring Love is also overlooked. Layer Cake is still one of his best... in fact, better than some of his Bond films. Whatever he decides to go onto, I will look on with my normal fan girl TM enthusiasm :x
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

DC has put in some great performances, Flashbacks of a fool is a brilliant film, and also enduring love amongst others. I'm not of the opinion dollars at box office equals a good film.

Funnily enough, I watched Flashbacks just the other night... (one seriously underestimated Craig film imo) and it is a great performance. Enduring Love is also overlooked. Layer Cake is still one of his best... in fact, better than some of his Bond films. Whatever he decides to go onto, I will look on with my normal fan girl TM enthusiasm :x

Don't forget his version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I've been a spectacle wearer for 39 years, but have never seen such spectacle-based stunt work as DC did in that film. That alone marks him out as one of the all-time great actors for me!! :D B-)
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
    Lady Rose wrote:

Out of interest Lexi, what do think of Poldak and Loki ?? Obviously us girlies see Bond slightly different to the guys. :)) :))

Okay, so after getting over the heartbreak of Craig leaving... :( and the choices of Hiddleston and Turner....

As Poldark, OH MY.... yes, yes and yes :x (I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers :)) )
    26D65D1100000578-0-image-a-19_1427707227357.jpg

As Bond, I think he has it too... the 'cruel mouth' for sure - and the brooding look, the angry stare.

As for Hiddleston, well, :#
    I'm not so keen. I haven't seen him as Loki - and I do think he's too slight for Bond.

He was way too smiley in The Night Manager - but I'll wait to see him in the role (if rumours are to be believed) and then decide.

As an aside, I was really against Cavill for Bond, but then I saw him on GN a while back, and he interviewed really well. My views have definitely changed about him - however that boat has now sailed.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Don't forget his version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - I've been a spectacle wearer for 39 years, but have never seen such spectacle-based stunt work as DC did in that film. That alone marks him out as one of the all-time great actors for me!! :D B-)

:)) :))

It's a shame that series has been stopped. He was great as Blomkvist - and I'd take Craig if he wore florescent coloured trainers ;%
    Lexi wrote:
    - and I'd take Craig if he wore florescent coloured trainers ;%

First strike for you young lady for provocative behaviour!
    6_8_s_full.jpg

• bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:

I too can’t see any arrogance in walking away from a shitload of money. Money should not be anyone’s highest motivation, and if all those millions were thrown DC’s way, then perhaps it is EON who is arrogant, thinking that everyone can be bought, not DC. Yes, there are so many talented actors without work, but it only shows what is wrong with the movie world in general – we should never have a situation when one good actor is jobless when another earns millions. Even if there is a contract for 5 movies or so, such contracts are normally quite complex and would certainly allow for an early termination under certain conditions, such as health reasons for instance. In addition, DC can already afford anything he wants. Whether he gets an extra million, or a billion, won’t really change his life. If he has a passion for acting, let him pursue it rather than just pursue money.

Yeah, you could argue EON trying to buy Craig's services in a greedy way is just as tacky as Craig's post SPECTRE filming interview saying he'd only return for the money/slash his wrists. Obviously Craig's comment gave EON the impetus to offer him some insane amount but Craig might have said "only for the money" as a throwaway remark. I'm guessing he went into SPECTRE knowing it was his last Bond film. If Barbara Broccoli thinks Daniel Craig is the only actor in the world capable of playing the part and he must return at any cost - I think she's just had a rude awakening. Craig doesn't need Bond, doesn't need to do another.
  • Catching BulletsCatching Bullets Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    As it seems the rumour-peddlers are making us leave the primaries and look towards the general election of a new 007 whether we want [or he] really wants it or not, who might fit the frame if the Bond roulette is indeed ready for its seventh spin of the wheel?

And is it really time to start looking for the white smoke coming out of EON HQ's chimney just yet...?

THE 007TH MAN FOR THE JOB
    http://markoconnell.co.uk/the-007th-man-for-the-job/

next_bond_10.jpg
    Mark O'Connell | Author, Writer, Bond Fan

facebook.com/catchingbullets
    www.markoconnell.co.uk
    Higgins wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    - and I'd take Craig if he wore florescent coloured trainers ;%

First strike for you young lady for provocative behaviour!
    6_8_s_full.jpg

Ooh...am I on the naughty step? :v
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    Personally, for me it's Tom Hughes who I'd give the 00 prefix to. He really impressed me in "The Game", has longevity for being 30 and the suit tailors would love him!
    Murder | Employment.
    Lexi wrote:

Far beyond, my dear! :D

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent

I can't believe someone is still pushing Elba. It doesn't bother me because we all know he has no chance at getting the role. He's looking older than Daniel Craig!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    _Stocks wrote:
    Personally, for me it's Tom Hughes who I'd give the 00 prefix to. He really impressed me in "The Game", has longevity for being 30 and the suit tailors would love him!
    {[]
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,342MI6 Agent
    I won't lose much sleep over Craig's decision to stop at 4 films.

I am concerned about who will replace him though.

Let me just put this out there- Hiddleston...a younger, thinner David Cameron :#
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I can't believe someone is still pushing Elba. It doesn't bother me because we all know he has no chance at getting the role. He's looking older than Daniel Craig!

I'd wish they'd stop with the Idris Elba thing. I quite like him but apart from not being right for the role he is also ageing quite badly I think. He looks a lot older than 43.

Same with Damien Lewis. At one time I'd have thought he was a possible but again he is ageing badly. I saw him in 'Billions' and he looked rough for 45.

I'm not a Tom Hardy fan either. Very overrated.
    Higgins wrote:
    Lexi wrote:

Far beyond, my dear! :D

Promises, promises ;%
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

I'd wish they'd stop with the Idris Elba thing. I quite like him but apart from not being right for the role he is also ageing quite badly I think. He looks a lot older than 43.

Same with Damien Lewis. At one time I'd have thought he was a possible but again he is ageing badly. I saw him in 'Billions' and he looked rough for 45.

I'm not a Tom Hardy fan either. Very overrated.

I agree...and Damien Lewis, blehh...not Bond at all.
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Can I firstly say, I don't want DC to stop at 4 - I think his tenure has been probably the most enjoyable Bond era for me and I've been lucky enough to live through all the Bonds, bar Connery.

However, when I watched Spectre last year, the end of the film did feel like an ending - job done, that's your lot. Drive off in THE car with the girl by your side.

If there's to be a new actor taking the role, can I put forward this contender:

rafespall.jpg
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
This discussion has been closed.