Hope you Gents across the Pond are all ok!

1789101113»

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,798MI6 Agent
    Your plan isn't nearly as visionary as mine - and I don't mind the voices at all :)
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,235MI6 Agent
    Butch Cassidy said "I've got vision and the rest of the world wear bi-focals" (at least Paul Newman did in the movie) :))
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I am hearing that the UK financial minister announced social benefit cuts and tax hikes ( he seems to agree that Brexit will negatively the UK economy( but this is all scaremongering, eh?)) and at the same time tax cuts for enterprises.

Seems that all the experts who predicted that where not too wrong.

Maybe it would have been better just to pay the (already heavily reduced) EU fees and stay ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited July 2016
    :D You can't put a price on independence....... or maybe you can ?
    If we get a second referendum, I'll sell my vote for a copy of big jugs
    and a bag of chips. :))

On a serious note, do you think. Those forgotten people who voted out.
    With No jobs, no hope, no future, ... care ? They have nothing to lose, as they
    haven't got anything.
    The EU has been of no help to them, possibly it has helped the middle and
    upper classes, but for those on the bottom it's done nothing.
    So in my opinion, the out voters decided to shaft the establishment, many
    wealthy people will lose money in big drops in shares etc, but once again. I
    doubt many unemployed have big share portfolios :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well, my friend, I have to disagree.

First of all helping out people who have nothing is the duty of your national government. The EU does not hinder them helping them.

On top, there are a lot of EU subsidised programmes for developing regions - also in the UK and I am sure that some of the unemployed benefitted from jobs under those programmes.

I've mentioned EUR 76/citizen/year EU payments in the UK (Germany are over 190) - I guess that the "cost of independence" - which will end up in other dependencies is high and will be paid dearly.

With all the social cuts, I wonder, it at the end this will mean less money going there instead of the promised weekly 325 million: And I don't post a smiley here because it's bad for those who need social help the most.

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Interestingly the financial markets are bucking the doomsayers warnings. The FTSE is buoyant and has taken a slight knock due to construction output being low, this is a pre referendum issue, the real view of the UK economy is to look at the FTSE 250, this hasn't been doing as well, but is not deemed to be in trouble unless it hits 15667, it's currently at 16116, again hit by the construction industry report out today.
    The Chancellor did warn of an emergency budget to raise taxes and cut spending, this has been scrapped. Corporate tax has been too high for years and it's a good move to cut it, I said this in a post on here early last week. The truth is no one yet knows how the economy will react to brexit, what will happen to the dollar come the US presidential elections, or how the eurozone will cope, which at the moment is suffering due to the right wing populist movements rocking the whole EU, and with Merkel leading a " remove Juncker" call uncertainty is set to continue. A little soon for triumphalism Higgins ;)
    Also it was covered today in detail how not initiating article 50 on the back of the referendum is totally unthinkable. So we are going whether we like it or not but I suspect the UK will stabilise sooner than the EU, which is no good for anyone. :#
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    You could not be any wronger.

I don't feel any triumpalism.
    First of all, the UK is not out of the EU and stock markets may be fired by hopings that the Brexit decision will be ignored or that the negotiations will lead to the market access. It's all speculations at this point as the UK have not even officially declared that they will leave.

So that triumphalism is certainly out of place.

And why don't I feel triumphalism:

1. I fell very sorry for the people who have been cheated with all the lies during the campaign.
    2. I feel sorry and know people, that are depending on the already very poor benefits and those people will pay rthe price with their health and with their lifes, that are getting even more miserable
    3. I feel sorry, because we need UK's liberal and market-oriented pov in the EU. The "Southern States" that want even more EU, more spendings, and less market will get stronger and stronger and we need the UK as a counterpart for it.

What you are reading that Merkel is leading a "remove Juncker" call is wrong.

Higgins wrote " I don't post a smiley here because it's bad for those who need social help"
    Bloody typical, many of us live for the odd smiley, dropped from the richman's table ! :D

And I'm not wrongerer . You are wrongerer than what I is. ;)
    Forget all the EU business. This was a vote for the oppressed
    Working class to kick Cameron in the B*lls ! Simple payback
    For years of neglect , They have nothing so don't give a fiddlers
    If it ruins the country,
    That's my Impression of it anyway ....... I also do a fantastic
    Boris Johnson. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    I am hearing that the UK financial minister announced social benefit cuts and tax hikes ( he seems to agree that Brexit will negatively the UK economy( but this is all scaremongering, eh?)) and at the same time tax cuts for enterprises.

Seems that all the experts who predicted that where not too wrong.

Maybe it would have been better just to pay the (already heavily reduced) EU fees and stay ;)

Then you need to get your hearing tested :))

Nothing is scheduled to happen...except an interest rate cut -{
    YNWA 97
    edited July 2016
    Higgins wrote:
    You could not be any wronger.

I don't feel any triumpalism.
    First of all, the UK is not out of the EU and stock markets may be fired by hopings that the Brexit decision will be ignored or that the negotiations will lead to the market access. It's all speculations at this point as the UK have not even officially declared that they will leave.

So that triumphalism is certainly out of place.

And why don't I feel triumphalism:

1. I fell very sorry for the people who have been cheated with all the lies during the campaign.
    2. I feel sorry and know people, that are depending on the already very poor benefits and those people will pay rthe price with their health and with their lifes, that are getting even more miserable
    3. I feel sorry, because we need UK's liberal and market-oriented pov in the EU. The "Southern States" that want even more EU, more spendings, and less market will get stronger and stronger and we need the UK as a counterpart for it.

What you are reading that Merkel is leading a "remove Juncker" call is wrong.
    I was just trying your anti triumphalism shoe on Higgins :D . But why put smileys on a bad news post?
    The weak and vulnerable will not be hit by benefits cuts, anyone living in the UK can tell you where benefits can be cut, my wife is a practicing adult care social worker. She puts care packages in place for people, these packages are not part of the benefits budget. We have a very disjointed welfare system here. One example is the winter fuel payment for pensioners, they all get it, if you are a multi millionaire living in a 10million pound mansion you will get the same as a war widow living on a pension in a rented bedsit. There are many, many more areas of benefits that can be cut, the truly in need have little to fear if they go through the correct channels.
    For your perusal,
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/merkel-tells-juncker-britain-needs-plenty-time-invoke-article-50/
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/03/angela-merkel-to-oust-jean-claude-juncker-as-europe-splits-deepe/amp/#
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/685809/EU-referendum-Angela-Merkel-sack-Brussels-chief-Jean-Claude-Juncker-Brexit-gloating/amp#
    I live on the border with the Republic of Ireland and so far business is up !
    Euro is worth a bit, so plenty of Southern shoppers coming up to spend,
    Spend, Spend :D So no problems to report yet. ;)
    I'd guess smuggling will increase, as if there's money to be made, it's
    Across a boarder.
    I Intended to walk to the nearest town, then cycle back, that way I can sell
    a bike a day ! :)) This time next year Rodney ............. :D
    .....you'll have lost weight, got fitter and put Halfords out of business :007)
    edited July 2016
    The pound also strengthened against the dollar and euro, while Wall Street's rally continued for a second day.
    Some investors say last week's sell-off was overdone, while others are betting on central banks to rescue the global economy if needed with more stimulus.

Today below 1,30

6ytbhtfk.png

FTSE250 on it's way down as well:

vgdzbt5n.png

It's not over yet....

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    ^ Bank of England won't let it affect business...the fall is due to 'uncertainty' - when the political scene sorts itself out then we will see the markets 'steady'...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles can you change the title of this thread to "Higgins thread of UK doom"?
    edited July 2016
    Higgins wrote:
    The pound also strengthened against the dollar and euro, while Wall Street's rally continued for a second day.
    Some investors say last week's sell-off was overdone, while others are betting on central banks to rescue the global economy if needed with more stimulus.

Today below 1,30

6ytbhtfk.png

FTSE250 on it's way down as well:

vgdzbt5n.png

It's not over yet....
    :)) dear old Higgins, in the spirit of being even handed can you also post the graphs showing all the upturns as well please?
    The current markets are reflecting an announcement on commercial property output being down, which has been the case for 7 years, the great thing is that making the announcement now brexit takes the spotlight off the industry. Brexit aftershocks will be coming for a while yet. Every normally small hiccup is being compounded in an already panicked market place.
    ?:) my graphs are showing up- and downturns from the last month ?:)
    Just showing that the GBP has not recovered as many said here and the FTSE250 reflects best he UK companies - better than the FTSE 100.
    I'll update in 6 months and we'll see then to where they went.

Higgins wrote:
    ?:) my graphs are showing up- and downturns from the last month ?:)
    Just showing that the GBP has not recovered as many said here and the FTSE250 reflects best he UK companies - better than the FTSE 100.
    I'll update in 6 months and we'll see then to where they went.
    Its just I didn't see the post from you showing ftse100 last week at its 12 month high is all.
    I've learned recently, that the FTSE250 reflects the UK economy better than the 100 where lots of multinational companies are represented.

Higgins wrote:
    I've learned recently, that the FTSE250 reflects the UK economy better than the 100 where lots of multinational companies are represented.
    Yes I mentioned that last week in post about the two indexes, the 250 has been artificially high leading up to brexit. There is no question confidence is shot at the moment and the pound is finding a new lower level imho