Hope you Gents across the Pond are all ok!

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    , Greece is a damaged country due to membership,

Before I am giving a reply on this, please elaborate how exactly the EU membership damaged Greece.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I used to love William Haig''s speeches, he was always very funny , ..... and as
    tough as Bruce Willis ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Thanks Stag. I was rather hoping that Higgy would have given me the lowdown on my questions - he's the voice of EU love on here it seems.

As to Higgy's question on how EU membership has damaged Greece, could I turn the question around and ask what has the EU done to help, apart from offer loans? Why was membership of the EU granted to a country where the chief source of income is tourism, an income which due to the geographical position of the country, was always going to decline with conflict on it's doorstep.
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    , Greece is a damaged country due to membership,

Before I am giving a reply on this, please elaborate how exactly the EU membership damaged Greece.
    OK flip the equation other than a huge and costly bailout, how has the EU helped Greece? Greece is bankrupt has rampant unemployment and the euro has been a disaster there, it all started with the empty promises that Greece decided was worth lying about there true economic condition for, which was widely known by EU officials but overlooked to include them. mismanagement on both sides.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    The way the EU has treated or punished Greece. Shows it doesn't exist for the People but
    rather for the economists of the EU. A strong lack of compassion has been shown.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    stag wrote:
    Can I ask a simple question please?

Why does the world need an EU?

It doesn't. You have to ask yourself why the EU model hasn't been adopted in other parts of the world?

What good does it bring to the world and to those countries that are a member of it?

Not much. Had it stuck to it's original plan of a common market this thread wouldn't exist. Mission creep usurped that initial vision & has subsequently led us to where we are now.

Yes, I realise that's two questions ;)

Around the world there is an opinion that the EU was a way of trying to continue the control western Europe once held on the world and it's economy and to contain and control the wealth.
    The EU model is seen in some parts of the world as outdated and in light of a "smaller planet" and global economy no longer needed.
    The way the EU has treated or punished Greece. Shows it doesn't exist for the People but
    rather for the economists of the EU. A strong lack of compassion has been shown.
    -{ a rare glimpse of your insightful intellect tp. :)
    I'm listen to a collection of William Haig's best speeches. " Big Willy, tells it like it is, vol 2" ;)
    Chriscoop wrote:

Sorry, guys, I'll not even bother to reply to all that.

Barbel wrote:

Better still, Corbyn is then pictured looking stone faced.

Better yet, his deputy Tom Watson was sitting beside him struggling very hard not to laugh.
    Barbel, does sturgeon and salmond truly have Scottish affairs at heart in your opinion? I can't help feeling sturgeon in particular appears to use these events to further her own position. A Scottish view would be most welcome.
    I'm listen to a collection of William Haig's best speeches. " Big Willy, tells it like it is, vol 2" ;)
    Free willy I say
    stag wrote:
    Just on a 007 theme I must point out that I'm listening to my "Bond - the best of James Bond" CD while I'm reading this - the theme from OHMSS is currently playing, TMWTGG is up next.
    Funny I have that in the car, but at the moment I've listening to Queen, hammer to fall and one vision seem very apt in these days.
    "Every Prime Minister should have a Willy. ": Magaret Thatcher. :D
    Higgins wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Sorry, guys, I'll not even bother to reply to all that.
    Please Higgins,
    After all now you and your country men are the ones who signed the Greek bailout cheque and will unfortunately be the ones holding the EU chequebook.
    "Every Prime Minister should have a Willy. ": Magaret Thatcher. :D
    At the moment it's the opposition who have the biggest dick....leading them.
    With the EU controlling the purse strings, Does anyone think that Greece is
    an independent country ? :D
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Please Higgins,
    After all now you and your country men are the ones who signed the Greek bailout cheque and will unfortunately be the ones holding the EU chequebook.

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about and the perception that it's the EU's fault why Greece is in trouble could not be any wronger.

Greece had no access to the capital market (where was the compassion from the UK? - you could have borrowed or gifted them money as well!) because noone wanted to give/borrow them any further money the EU, the EZB and the IWF where the only ones who did.

Without that money, the banking system (like it or not - I don't like that as well but it's fact or why has your government bailed out british banks in 2008?) in Greece would have collapsed with horrible results for everyone - in Greece. Those effects would also have been present in other EU and non EU countries.

Higgins wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Please Higgins,

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about and the perception that it's the EU's fault why Greece is in trouble could not be any wronger.

Greece had no access to the capital market (where was the compassion from the UK? - you could have borrowed or gifted them money as well!) because noone wanted to give/borrow them any further money the EU, the EZB and the IWF where the only ones who did.

Without that money, the banking system (like it or not - I don't like that as well but it's fact or why has your government bailed out british banks in 2008?) in Greece would have collapsed with horrible results for everyone - in Greece. Those effects would also have been present in other EU and non EU countries.
    I only meant that it was German money predominantly used for Greek bailout and that Germany is the EU's main financial benefactor, nothing meant to offend you whatsoever.
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Well, if we take this thread as a microcosm of the whole of Europe (which is now a lot bigger than when I was at school in geography lessons), it would seem that normally friendly and sociable members are totally at odds over finances and politics.

If we, who are bound by our common love of all things JB, can descend into such a state, doesn't it demonstrate that to try and form a union based on finance and politics, over the whole of Europe - well, it's a non-starter! I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has to be honest.

Let each sovereign nation's government make their own decisions, based on what their populace tell them they want. Play nicely with each other, don't expand your borders, don't enforce your religion on others and do good with what you have.

Is that Utopia, or is it me just saying common sense things?
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
    I've just realised, I'm far too pretty for politics. I should be thinking about kittens and
    unicorns. :D sure it's fun annoying Higgins, but life isn't all about having fun otherwise
    we'd all be Nigel Farage
    TP, I am not offended.

I agree as the biggest net payer, it's a lot of german taxpayer's money and I can assure you that many of my countrymen are not happy to see their tax money spent to bail out greece - in particular greek banks

The "Ask Higgins questions about the EU" Thread here:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/47964/the-ask-higgins-questions-about-the-eu-thread/

Well, if we take this thread as a microcosm of the whole of Europe (which is now a lot bigger than when I was at school in geography lessons), it would seem that normally friendly and sociable members are totally at odds over finances and politics.

If we, who are bound by our common love of all things JB, can descend into such a state, doesn't it demonstrate that to try and form a union based on finance and politics, over the whole of Europe - well, it's a non-starter! I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has to be honest.

Let each sovereign nation's government make their own decisions, based on what their populace tell them they want. Play nicely with each other, don't expand your borders, don't enforce your religion on others and do good with what you have.

Is that Utopia, or is it me just saying common sense things?
    Utopia, is achievable if we got rid of the politicians.
    What you say makes sense other than here on a JB forum we all have something in common, to get a full picture we would have to see what the folks on the marvel and star wars forums had to say and they are dark dark places my friend.
    Sort of " Beware of Germans bearing gifts " ;)

I can fully understand the ideals being the EU, but feel it's basically a 60s solution to
    2016 problems. It's very slow to change, if at all. Or rather the perception of it being
    In able to change is very much evident.
    Perhaps the EU has made some changes to how they work, but they don't seem
    To publicise them if they do. It would be strange In deed if Britain left the EU, due to
    The lack of PR from the EU.
    stag wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone read article in the link I posted.
    I will read it tonight stag after work. It feels this thread is winding up a bit so I'll read it tonight and comment further if I feel compelled :)
    Yes, I get the impression most people are slipping on their coats and starting for the
    Door, shoving a few sandwiches in their pockets, and ordering a Taxi. ;)

Although Higgins has set up a voluntary help desk to answer any questions on the
    EU for us. -{
    Yes, I get the impression most people are slipping on their coats and starting for the
    Door, shoving a few sandwiches in their pockets, and ordering a Taxi. ;)

Although Higgins has set up a voluntary help desk to answer any questions on the
    EU for us. -{
    All in all I think Higgins should applauded on this thread for fighting his corner (a lonely one on this topic) and standing up for his beliefs. Higgins and I have not always seen eye to eye but I hope the good manner in which the exchanges have taken place serve as a precursor to our amicable future with our European brothers and sisters. -{
    Agreed, It's great to see someone so deluded and wrong stick to their argument even when
    All common sense and logic tell you how wrong and out of touch from reality, you actually are. :p :D

Although seriously, Higgins is holding his own ( no change there ) ;) and defending his views very
    Well -{ and as always with good humour, good grace and bad footwear. It is fantastic to have a
    Debate, and learn about some misconceptions about the EU.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,344Chief of Staff
    Agreed, It's great to see someone so deluded and wrong stick to their argument even when
    All common sense and logic tell you how wrong and out of touch from reality, you actually are. :p :D

It's not a new thing.... http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/400080/#p400080 He's consistent!
    :))
    That was lucky, I thought you'd found one off my foolish rants when I first joined AJB :))