Hope you Gents across the Pond are all ok!

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    And a wise British leader once said..
    A truly powerful leader is the one who listens to his people, who rules with impunity, who seeks friends not foes, who believes in the will of his sovereign nation, to have such a governed nation would be a thing of beauty, a thing of just cause and will stand tall against adversity. Should this be done then this nation will shine bright in the growing darkness of this world.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

A wise german politician once said: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"

Hehe, you guys are so predictable :D

FYI, it was Churchill who said it and he was right!
    In an ideal world all would be democracy, but we are living in a Murdoch Media Manipulation world of reckless populist politicians and the oh so democratic voters fall for their emotions instead of using their common sense ;)

Once every 4 or five year this kind of theater is more than enough {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I think a thought for the victims in Turkey is appropriate, amidst all this talk. It puts things into perspective.
    Higgins wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

A wise german politician once said: "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"

Hehe, you guys are so predictable :D

FYI, it was Churchill who said it and he was right!
    In an ideal world all would be democracy, but we are living in a Murdoch Media Manipulation world of reckless populist politicians and the oh so democratic voters fall for their emotions instead of using their common sense ;)

Once every 4 or five year this kind of theater is more than enough {[]

I think we were aware of that Higgins ;)
    Err, no?

Higgins wrote:
    Err, no?
    My uncle was a huge Churchill fan, so much so that in the main house bathroom in his house every time you turned the lights on the voice of Churchill delivering his speeches and his political anecdotes would be piped into the room. The most educational ablutions were had in that room, so, er, yes
    If you are such a fan of Churchill I must recommend you read a book on him written by that other famous German politician, Boris Johnson :D
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He also gives some great deals on car insurance. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    He also gives some great deals on car insurance. :D
    Ohhh yyyesss
    Like Churchill isn't Boris. Half American or could hold dual passports ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I believe you're right tp
    In many ways like any break up, we're at the stage of saying it was the other parties fault,
    But soon it will settle down and we'll be splitting the CD and DVD collection. Perhaps an
    Uncomfortable division of friends, but after that. We are free to see other countries, firstly
    As friends, but who knows where it will lead. I like to think romance is always in the air. ;)
    It is already tp, Australia has already been sexting us :x
    And also south Korea have asked us out to dinner.
    I'd be happier with S.Korea, as are'nt we sort of related to Australia ? :D
    But what about her sister N.Korea, old Kim regularly gets A massive Election !
    I'd be happier with S.Korea, as are'nt we sort of related to Australia ? :D
    But what about her sister N.Korea, old Kim regularly gets A massive Election !
    North Korea is the ugly fat sister, the one where you think jeez those two can't have the same dad!
    I'm enjoying the nature of this conversation though it has lost something since Sir Miles performed a smexit and pulled out of Higgins :v
    :)) :)) :))
    He was just running out of arguments and at the end agreed that I was right :D

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I would like to gingerly insert myself into a suitable opening now that Sir Miles has pulled out and left quite a gap.

I've also enjoyed this thread and can see arguments on both sides. My hope is that UK and Brussels can put aside further confrontation and come up with a positive plan, as any 'no pay, no play' knee-jerk reaction to ban negotiations before UK triggers article 50 would just play into the hands of those who believe we are better off outside of the EU entirely... And would also have an adverse impact on other countries considering an exit.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    I would like to gingerly insert myself into a suitable opening now that Sir Miles has pulled out and left quite a gap.

I've also enjoyed this thread and can see arguments on both sides. My hope is that UK and Brussels can put aside further confrontation and come up with a positive plan, as any 'no pay, no play' knee-jerk reaction to ban negotiations before UK triggers article 50 would just play into the hands of those who believe we are better off outside of the EU entirely... And would also have an adverse impact on other countries considering an exit.
    Yes your right, this would be the hope, at the moment their is an air of UK apologetics and political posturing in Brussels.and I can understand why, there is a lot at stake and hopefully sense and calm and mutually beneficial deals will be struck.
    I've heard sir miles has big erm... Shoes but the more the merrier I say :D
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,588Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    He was just running out of arguments and at the end agreed that I was right :D

No...I just decided to keep on running :D
    YNWA 97
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,588Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I've heard sir miles has big erm... Shoes but the more the merrier I say :D

That is true :D

Alas, like my big...err...shoes...it is also packed out with socks :#
    YNWA 97
    So was DC s in that famous La perla scene on CR
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Can I ask a simple question please?

Why does the world need an EU? What good does it bring to the world and to those countries that are a member of it?

Yes, I realise that's two questions ;)
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
    I can fully understand it, as a trading block, but can't understand why it also needs
    Political unification. They seem to be two unrelated ideals.
    The answer to that is a huge matter of opinion, depending if you live in country benefitted by membership or one disadvantaged by it, and also your own political beliefs. The big members on the continent enjoy membership more than UK so to them it is important, Greece is a damaged country due to membership, Italy are struggling, Spain also sees little real term benefit, it is my opinion that if the EU dissolved after initial shockwaves the memberstates would make their own deals and things would become far more globally trade related. But that is just one example of one opinion on massively faceted debate.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    Metro's freebie newspaper had a superb front page for the death of Prince earlier this year.

Prince-newspaper-front-page.jpg

Now, from the sublime to the (appropriately) ridiculous.

_90134725_metro-p1-june-28.jpg

I can't begin to tell you the joy this cover gave me. For the likes of Higgins, who may be unaware of the context, a new Labour MP was inducted into the House of Commons yesterday at a time when the Labour Party is in unprecedented meltdown, with most of the Shadow Cabinet having quit.

David Cameron welcomed her to the chamber and said 'She should keep her mobile phone on - she might find herself in the shadow cabinet by the end of the day.'

What makes it better is that the the new Labour MP is a bit of a fox and is caught laughing at Cameron's joke, which was delivered with his best Roger Moore suavity and with a comic timing that has eluded most of the 007 incumbents of late, be it Craig, Brozzer, Dalton...

It's like the new kid at school caught out laughing at a joke someone makes about a teacher, but the teacher is useless so it doesn't really matter, and it's the last day of term.

That Cameron is standing down as Tory PM ensures the comedy is undiluted by mean political advantage. If he were in a strong position, the joke would just seem nasty.

Better still, Corbyn is then pictured looking stone faced.

The 'Night of Farce' headline regarding England's exit perfects the page.

All yesterday more quit the Labour front benches and it goes so beyond a joke it starts becoming a joke again. Corbyn 'I'm in charge!' all set to stay on while the ship is sinking, he's not going anywhere, he has a duty to the people who elected him! It's like, I'm going to scuttle this ship because everyone who bought a ticket has decided they'd rather be on a train!

It's kind of awesome. Corbyn reminds me of a comedy character that I can't place.

Then we have Higgins popping up on this thread like the U-boat commander in Dad's Army. :D

madoc_2159152b.jpg

He must be bemused at the way the UK is tearing itself apart, and making jokes about it.

Actually, perhaps a character from a Carry On film might be more apt. Bernard Bresslaw's Sheik Abul Abulbul, who watches on in delight and astonishment as his sworn British foes tear themselves apart in a dispute over who built the best sandcastle. :))

normal_scan0016~6.jpg

I suppose our Isis pals fit that bill. I mean, even they couldn't get two political parties to go into meltdown in 24 hours.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Dear ringers on BBC radio 4 had a very funny sketch about Scotland's views on the
    Referendum. ( I'm only commenting on the skill of the writing, not on any politics
    Involved )

Nicola Sturgeon was saying for the UK to leave a union to go it alone, was Crazy ! Then
    Said She was leaving the UK to go it Alone as it was the only sensible thing to do :))
    :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,344Chief of Staff

Better still, Corbyn is then pictured looking stone faced.

Better yet, his deputy Tom Watson was sitting beside him struggling very hard not to laugh.