Hope you Gents across the Pond are all ok!

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Enough about Greece what about the Marbles ? ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    :)) :)) :))
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Enough about Greece what about the Marbles ? ;)
    :)) :)) I doff my cap
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    It is amazing some people's voting rationale, I know of one group of people who while really wanted to vote leave actually voted remain because they had a holiday booked to the USA and didn't want to get less dollar for their pound!!!!

Another reason why I am against Referendums 8-)
    It's more than enough when people of that kind have a saying every 4-5 years :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,214MI6 Agent
    My favourite political quote is: "If voting changed anything they would ban it".
    People vote and then either the present government continues or a new government is formed but basically it's the same old same old policies either slightly watered downed or slightly strengthened. This referendum has proved that the silent majority have a voice and all parties are aghast that the policies that they have championed for decades are policies that the majority disagree with. We will never be allowed a referendum again because just for once casting a vote HAS made a difference.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    and I have the feeling that that vote will be ignored in the months to come.

Who's taking bets that the UK will stay in the EU - I am not speaking about the common market.

Nothing surprises me about politics and I would not for one moment disagree with you that a democratic voting result will be eventually ignored.
    I am hearing that some of the UK leaders speculate for a better deal than what the UK had before.

Now let's step back one week: The UK decided to leave and as a result there have been a lot of turbulences.
    If UK people are now restarting negotiations with "Just kidding - we don't want to leave probably" - this will substancially weaken their negotiation power.

I know that the picture is that the EU is weak and divided, but it would be scuicide if the EU would give the UK an even better deal than what they had. It's time to stop UK's extra-sausages as we say here.

Just an example: UK citizens net pay EUR 76/year/person for the EU. Germans pay over 190.

It would be difficult to explain voters here if a better deal would be approved.

According to reports both German and French manufacturers want favourable trading terms for the UK - the car factories especially - Japan will be biting at the bit to give beneficial rates to supply a million more cars a year. France will want to maintain the wine trade - the New World will offer huge incentives to export even more of their chardonnay - it could well be that the UK gets a better deal than those inside the EU and that will be the cause of the collapse of the entire thing.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    and I have the feeling that that vote will be ignored in the months to come.

Who's taking bets that the UK will stay in the EU - I am not speaking about the common market.

I wouldn't rule that out...the UK is a complete mess politics wise (as usual many would say)...and the way forward isn't clear...but the EU needs reform...

I do think the UK would want a dollop of mash to go with those extra sausages though :D
    YNWA 97
    I would leave making trade deals with Germany and France at the end of the negotiations
    Get the little countries done first. That way the pressure is on the big Europeans to get a
    Deal, otherwise Britain leaves with the likes of Germany with no export deal, for their cars
    Into Britain. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited June 2016
    Let's be honest.

British consumers will continue buying Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes, Audis and others even if they'd be subject to a 15% duty ;)

I've heard comments from german industry leaders, who surprisingly did not demand to keep the UK in the EU for their good. The only thing they asked for was not to remain uncertain about UK's membership for a longer time.

You can't ban them entirely from your market, that would cause a riot from the London Banker boys :D - I can hardly see them all buying Fords and Toyotas :D

And I am pretty sure that none of the small EU countries would be allowed and willing to make seperate deals with the UK under these circumstances ;)

My point was, to begin negotiations with the smaller countries, cutting the time for the
    Bigger European countries, that way if they want to punish the UK. They'll be cutting off
    Their nose to spite their face. As with no deal. No imports or exports can be done ;)
    So they couldn't sell their BMWs etc. :p
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...but the EU needs reform...

No doubt about that. And it would be better if the UK would be actively involved in that process as a EU member instead of leaving and then only apply to the new rules :v

There are complaints about the EU in all countries here, but the degree of exaggeration and populist demonisation of it only exists in the UK ;)

My point was, to begin negotiations with the smaller countries, cutting the time for the
    Bigger European countries, that way if they want to punish the UK. They'll be cutting off
    Their nose to spite their face. As with no deal. No imports or exports can be done ;)

Ah, good old Thunderpussy - always on the edge for starting a (trade) war :D

"War has always been Man's greatest achievement " wise words :))
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ...but the EU needs reform...

No doubt about that. And it would be better if the UK would be actively involved in that process as a EU member instead of leaving and then only apply to the new rules :v

That is undoubtedly true BUT the UK feels (look at me, speaking for a whole nation :D ) ignored...and what's worse, everyone knows the EU needs reform but no one is willing to do it...perhaps the British giving it a kick up the arse by leaving can start that process ?
    We are always told "you can't do that because Brussels says so" X-(
    Highins wrote:
    There are complaints about the EU in all countries here, but the degree of exaggeration and populist demonisation of it only exists in the UK ;)

Is that because only the UK has a backbone and will not take the crap any longer ? :v ;)
    YNWA 97
    I think the UK trade deficit is an important issue is the EU realistically going to start a imposing large trade tariffs? If so then surely the UK will impose similar levels of tariffs then offer EU export subsidies to companies reliant on export to the EU. If that were to happen the cost to EU members would be greater due to the EU and Britain would profit from the tariffs.
    I believe what we currently seeing is a shift in the economic power Base, investment in business that exports from the UK is seeing unprecedented levels of investment due to the weaker pound, so what if the companies in the FTSE 100 change? If the top 100 companies in the UK were export based then manufacturing here would be up jobs created and a dying industry revived.
    Further more we can now do more to help industry such as our steel industry, free from EU restrictions we could be more competitive globally, the EU has been impotent to stop China flooding the world with cheep steel.
    And just a quick note on Scotland the remain country, the area of Scotland with the biggest amount of exports which include, most the famous whisky, bachelors foods, and walkers, lost the leave vote by 122 votes. These companies are all global exporters and use current global export systems.
    edited June 2016
    Sir Miles wrote:

That is undoubtedly true BUT the UK feels (look at me, speaking for a whole nation :D ) ignored.

Better feel to be ignored than feel being hated like we do :D
    Sir Miles wrote:
    We are always told "you can't do that because Brussels says so" X-(

Yes, you are told by your lying and populist politicians. This is hardly the EU's fault because it's simply not true in most of the cases. Your politicians decide in Bruxelles and Strassbourg and it became a tradition to blame the EU for everything.

It's like telling a child "Because Daddy wants it" :D
    I am sometimes asking myself, what's worse: The one who tells that lie or the one who believes it {[]

So, you suggest to negotiate single deals with smaller EU countries to put pressure on Germany and France?

If you had the time to do so :D

1. I think it would be illegal by EU laws (not sure??) for those countries to negotiate with you at all
    2. Even if you had a deal, exports from the UK to there would be on EU territory and EU rules would apply then ;)
    3. France and German would certainly crack under the immense trade volume that you have managed to agree with countries like Malta, Cyprus and Luxemburg :D

I keep forgetting the EU is a collective, like The Borg not like the UK which
    is much more like A Federation of nations ;) my Brilliant plan, ( my wife
    told me it was fantastic of course that may have been to shut me up
    During Emmerdale ?) Merely moves some of the pressure off Britain.
    As we don't wish to be assimilated. :D
    Seeing all that hate towards the EU, I see that my hopes for the referendum results have been correct.

The UK wanted to leave, so leave.
    What I see is regrets of all kinds and the silence from leading Brexit activists speaks volumes.

I've said this before and stay with it: UK will be more affected than the EU from a Brexit.

Let's find out.

Out is out {[]

I want back in :# I miss having croissants at breakfast, I can spread chocolate
    on them. With no feelings of guilt, saying it's the french way. Same with kissing.
    I'll miss the French kissing, My post man probably won't, but I like to make him
    feel special. No going up a high tower with a riffle for him !
    French Toast, that will be taken off us too. Oh this is terrible, and how will I
    survive without my daily portion of German sausage ! ...... it's all Terrible.
    I won't have any double entendres either, just dirty meanings. :#
    Higgins wrote:
    I've said this before and stay with it: UK will be more affected than the EU from a Brexit.

I think the word is effective :v :p
    YNWA 97
    :)) {[]
    Sir Miles wrote:

That is undoubtedly true BUT the UK feels (look at me, speaking for a whole nation :D ) ignored...

No country in the EU has received more attention, better deals and better service than the UK.

This all in order to keep the UK onboard and this was annoyiong to all the others, who've been treated as "equals" and not as "privileged" like the UK.

Cameron used the EU as an excuse for his failures over the last 10 years and created a monster in the UK people's minds which has nothing to do with reality.

Other populists are trying to create a similar thing in other EU countries, hopefully they don't succeed.

I've been reading my N.Korean world history bumper book for boys. It's very
    Interesting, this chap Kim Jung-un regularly gets 100% of the votes. Now that's
    A popular leader. :D
    I want back in :# I miss having croissants at breakfast, I can spread chocolate
    on them. With no feelings of guilt, saying it's the french way. Same with kissing.
    I'll miss the French kissing, My post man probably won't, but I like to make him
    feel special. No going up a high tower with a riffle for him !
    French Toast, that will be taken off us too. Oh this is terrible, and how will I
    survive without my daily portion of German sausage ! ...... it's all Terrible.
    I won't have any double entendres either, just dirty meanings. :#
    PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER MAN!!! Take a cold shower, slap yourself or the postman round the face and gird your loins, you'll still get croissants, (they make them here as well you know) and French kissing is for wimps, you will have to adopt the proper British version of tonsil tennis or necking! And necking doesn't just doesn't apply to an English football fan drinking a can of lager!
    I've never had any complaints about my loins being girded, or the stiffness of my sinew ;)