Who will win the november election in the U.S.? Trump or Hillary?

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    It is beyond doubt the earth's weather patterns are shifting due to the climate warming, but the climate has been warming since the end of the last ice age. No doubt human behaviour is responsible for speeding up this event but by and large the planet has a long way to go until it reaches the high temperatures that were common before the ice age. In fact some parts of the planet today are still in that ice age and species that live there have evolved due to that situation. The speed in which the planet warms and the polar ice caps receded will speed up year on year just like a frozen lake or pond. If you take the outside edge as the equator the ice melts there first and middle stays frozen but the rate of thawing increases the smaller the ice gets. Very simplistic I know but relatively representative. We humans have been using so called green house gasses for a very short time in respect of the planets life, and we also can never have a truly accurate set of weather data except for the period we have been collating it which is insignificant in the grand scheme. When all the polar ice caps have melted and the sea has become less saline we will be at a point we were before the ice age. The task for the human race is to make sure we can adapt and evolve to live in the changing climate as there is nothing we can do to stop it, cutting out globally every harmful emission tomorrow will only slow down the inevitable. Unfortunately land masses will dissappear under water species will become extinct and people will suffer, we only lodge on this planet temporarily and life is fragile. We must harness nature and work with it as opportunity see to trying to control it....but that will be our children's job as the planet we leave them is not in a good way, oceans poisoned, mountains levelled for copper, forests cleared for grazing and a population we will struggle to feed.
    Will any of our politicians attempt to start resolving this? Doubtfull as none are brave enough.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Cheld: Is there anything - and I mean just anything constructive that you have to contribute? 8-) 8-) 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    cheld wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    cheld wrote:

Sanctions are a two-way street. When the government of country "A" imposes sanctions on country "B", country A's government is also restricting the right of its own citizens and companies to do business how they choose.

Trade wars also have a nasty habit of escalating into real wars:

"Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none." - Thomas Jefferson

Yes, sanctions provoked Japan to go to war against the US. But what would have happened without the sanctions? Japan would have occuped even more of Asia, bringing untold horrors on the population.

Not America's problem. Indochina was a collection of three French colonies obtained by a war of aggression: why don't you have a problem with European occupations of Asian territories?

What about the Philippines? I don't know the history of the Pacific very well, but wasn't the country an US colony at the time? And would the US really be OK with a militaristic and anti-American empire spreading over much of Asia?
    Chriscoop wrote:
    It is beyond doubt the earth's weather patterns are shifting due to the climate warming, but the climate has been warming since the end of the last ice age. No doubt human behaviour is responsible for speeding up this event but by and large the planet has a long way to go until it reaches the high temperatures that were common before the ice age. In fact some parts of the planet today are still in that ice age and species that live there have evolved due to that situation. The speed in which the planet warms and the polar ice caps receded will speed up year on year just like a frozen lake or pond. If you take the outside edge as the equator the ice melts there first and middle stays frozen but the rate of thawing increases the smaller the ice gets. Very simplistic I know but relatively representative. We humans have been using so called green house gasses for a very short time in respect of the planets life, and we also can never have a truly accurate set of weather data except for the period we have been collating it which is insignificant in the grand scheme. When all the polar ice caps have melted and the sea has become less saline we will be at a point we were before the ice age. The task for the human race is to make sure we can adapt and evolve to live in the changing climate as there is nothing we can do to stop it, cutting out globally every harmful emission tomorrow will only slow down the inevitable. Unfortunately land masses will dissappear under water species will become extinct and people will suffer, we only lodge on this planet temporarily and life is fragile. We must harness nature and work with it as opportunity see to trying to control it....but that will be our children's job as the planet we leave them is not in a good way, oceans poisoned, mountains levelled for copper, forests cleared for grazing and a population we will struggle to feed.
    Will any of our politicians attempt to start resolving this? Doubtfull as none are brave enough.

It's a well known fact that the climate has always been changing. This time it's different, however. First of all it's changing faster than ever. Second, much of the change this time is human made. We can allready see that the changes have dramatisk effect for humans, animals and plant life.
    As I said, human activity is speeding up a process that started during the last ice age.
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    cheld wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Yes, sanctions provoked Japan to go to war against the US. But what would have happened without the sanctions? Japan would have occuped even more of Asia, bringing untold horrors on the population.

Not America's problem. Indochina was a collection of three French colonies obtained by a war of aggression: why don't you have a problem with European occupations of Asian territories?

What about the Philippines? I don't know the history of the Pacific very well, but wasn't the country an US colony at the time? And would the US really be OK with a militaristic and anti-American empire spreading over much of Asia?

Answer the question: Why don't you have a problem with European occupations of Asian territories, but have a problem with Japanese occupations thereof? Do Norwegians suffer from "White Man's Burden" too?
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It's a well known fact that the climate has always been changing. This time it's different, however. First of all it's changing faster than ever. Second, much of the change this time is human made. We can allready see that the changes have dramatisk effect for humans, animals and plant life.

steepest-drop-global-temperature.png
    Your point being?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Your point being?
    None, basically. He's like Carver, playing with his headlines is all. -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    IMG_1945.jpg
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    [Edited by Barbel]

I'm sensing some unseasonal hostility on this thread :o
    [Edited by Barbel]

cheld wrote:

Answer the question: Why don't you have a problem with European occupations of Asian territories, but have a problem with Japanese occupations thereof? Do Norwegians suffer from "White Man's Burden" too?

How about you?

You haven't replied to a single counterpoint to your silly headlines that you prefer throwing around here.
    You are avoiding any discussion by doing that.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,358Chief of Staff
    Thread re-opened after discussion and editing. Whether it stays open is up to you.
    Thanks, Barbel {[]

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    IMG_1945.jpg
    THAT explains it!!! :o
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Nice one Barbel -{ I particularly like the "edited by Barbel" it's so much nicer than "I've deleted your post now behave" :D
    ...and yet some say I can't do subtle.... ;)
    I like to think of your modding style as an iron fist in silk tartan glove :)
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Nice one Barbel -{ I particularly like the "edited by Barbel" it's so much nicer than "I've deleted your post now behave" :D

How could you read his pm to me? :o
    I am sorry that I can't reply further here today because Barbel has locked me up in the naughty room :v

...where TP is waiting with his carpet-beater and, er, modified chair.
    cheld wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    cheld wrote:

I do have a problem with European colonialism, and I never said I don't have a problem with it. But Japanese colonisation was more brutal against the native population of those countries. The Japanese were also anti-American at the time, making a confrontation with the US in the 1940's likely, with or without Pear Harbour.. I think we've gone a bit off-topic, but I hope this answers your questions.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    ...where TP is waiting with his carpet-beater and, er, modified chair.

Where can we buy front-row tickets? :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Only last week both myself and Number24 had an argument.
    (He couldn't see the wisdom in my thinking ) ;) but we settled
    It in the traditional manner. ..... I screamed and stormed off to my
    Boudoir :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) :)) I though you were going say with virtual fisticuffs.
    They sold out in under 2 minutes, you can now get them from any number of online ticket sellers for only 8 times their face value!
    In other news, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that populist president trump might well become the worst president in us history, while not even in office yet he seems to have given back word on an enormous amount of pledges he's made, he's now just u turned on stepping back from his business interests, which he was doing to avoid conflict of interests, now that seems unimportant to him, can you really have a president making decisions who has vested business interests?
    1a7fdbadd24697b76065b996ca4b4982?t%5B0%5D=crop%3Awidth%3D6495%2Cheight%3D4098%2Cx%3D0%2Cy%3D0&t%5B1%5D=maxSize%3Awidth%3D990%2Cheight%3D0&t%5B2%5D=resize%3Awidth%3D990&accessToken=303f86b220c7c73f69ad0baff391c1b64ec4999ba66b84e06d88d7e32f7ace06
    Precisely
    Now I have some questions for you, Cheld. Some new and some I have asked before:
    - Do you agree that what we know about Trump's policy towards Russia is to Putin's advantage?
    - Do you think Tillerson is suited to be the Secretery of State, given his very close political, personal and economic ties to the Putin regime?
    - You claimed sanctions have "a nasty habit"of turning into wars. Can you mention any examples of this, other than Imperial Japan 75 years ago?
    - Do you think the sanctions against Russia should be lifted, even as the illegal Russian intervention in Ukraine continues?

Please reply to the questions, and not just post counterquestions. :)
This discussion has been closed.