Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,812MI6 Agent
    I want little or no flashbacks, but I like what you write about SPECTRE is interesting. It would actually have been a better Bond movie if they had left out SPECTRE and Blofeld. They could have waited until there is a new Bond actor. Perhaps a Blofeld trillogy?
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    There have been speculations that Johnson is indeed the director of Bond25 and Knives out is a ruse to hide an early start in filming. Wishful thinking.

Even I don't believe that one!
    edited September 2018
    Wow. Nothing vague here, “I’m supposed to do the next James Bond, playing the lead bad guy.”

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/exclusive-la-haine-and-kite-runner-actor-said-taghmaoui-in-line-to-play-bond-25-s-lead-villain-1.768217

So much for the Russian villains, are they actually for the P&W script?

Then again, is Boyle's script somehow linked to SPECTRE as Spectre's surveillance base was in Tangiers. Is this why they wanted an ethnically Moroccan actor? Or is it to do with the Namibian filming?

And where do the Finnish actors fit into all this?
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    McQuarrie is an interesting name... in that he was able to write the last MI film pretty much on the fly during production ... McQuarrie is a writer as well but his greatest attribute is action and if all the Hodge script really needs is some action, McQuarrie would be the man. ...My only fear is, I just don't want to see Bond 25 become an MI wannabe and with McQuarrie and EON's latter day tendency toward imitation rather than originality it's a possibility.
    please, no, let us not wish for yet another film where they make it up as they go along. If that's the talent a director brings then we definitely don't want him.
    Those Mission Impossible films are pretty light on the plot as it is. The Bond refences within them are basically just recognisable images, visual tributes, without anything adding up to a plot, let alone a Bond style plot.
    And the recent Craig films themselves have had enough issues with endless action sequences and incoherent links connecting those sequences, little to add up to a greater whole. That's the problem that needs to be fixed.

As we all know, Eon Productions has never hired an American director so I can't see them starting now. I reckon it's not going to happen. Also, getting someone like McQuarrie (assuming he wants the job) will feel like the Bond franchise is desperate to copy Mission Impossible. Bond is not MI.
    edited September 2018
    Someone wrote:
    Wow. Nothing vague here, “I’m supposed to do the next James Bond, playing the lead bad guy.”

https://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/exclusive-la-haine-and-kite-runner-actor-said-taghmaoui-in-line-to-play-bond-25-s-lead-villain-1.768217

So much for the Russian villains, are they actually for the P&W script?

Then again, is Boyle's script somehow linked to SPECTRE as Spectre's surveillance base was in Tangiers. Is this why they wanted an ethnically Moroccan actor? Or is it to do with the Namibian filming?

And where do the Finnish actors fit into all this?

This seems legit. Very interesting. Of course the actors Screentesteded in Finland could play Russians.
    It looks like the Russian or Arab villan is the Hodge story what we now need to know is if that plot is kept.
    I would like to see Said Taghmaui playing a Bond villan. "La Haine", "The Kite Runner" and 'Wonder woman" are all good movies and he did a good job in them. I don't think it was a smart move to talk about Bond25 now. I fear he migh even get rejected for the role because of this. Lose lips sink ships.
    David Mackenzie seems to be ruling himself out for now for Bond25.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/outlaw-king-director-david-mackenzie-q-a-2018-tiff-1140669

You could see his answers as hedging his bets and not wanting to say anything that might jeopardise his chances.

But, I think, to just finish one film, and to leap into God knows what situation with Bond25, who would blame him?

He also makes it clear he's had no contact with EON for some time, before he started Outlaw King.
    Number24 wrote:
    I would like to see Said Taghmaui playing a Bond villan. "La Haine", "The Kite Runner" and 'Wonder woman" are all good movies and he did a good job in them. I don't think it was a smart move to talk about Bond25 now. I fear he migh even get rejected for the role because of this. Lose lips sink ships.

He probably already knows it's not going to happen.
    Someone wrote:
    David Mackenzie seems to be ruling himself out for now for Bond25.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/outlaw-king-director-david-mackenzie-q-a-2018-tiff-1140669

You could see his answers as hedging his bets and not wanting to say anything that might jeopardise his chances.

But, I think, to just finish one film, and to leap into God knows what situation with Bond25, who would blame him?

He also makes it clear he's had no contact with EON for some time, before he started Outlaw King.

Perhaps for Bond26? He's a great director.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    Yann Demange Talks Taking On 'White Boy Rick' After His Acclaimed Debut '71'
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/yann-demange-talks-taking-white-boy-rick-his-acclaimed-debut-71-1141605

This time last year were you considered the frontrunner to direct the next Bond. Was there any truth to the rumours? Did you even meet with Eon?

It’s all wild speculation! Everyone is so obsessed with gossip and rumors. And that’s all it was, honestly. I was in post-production and if it had been more than just a rumor, I wasn’t the one in the know about it.

With Danny Boyle now having exited, you’re back among the favourites again. Is it difficult to keep away from the endless speculation?

Not really. I’ve been in Chicago, shooting nights in the woods and getting bitten to **** by mosquitoes, and the furthest thing from my mind is gossip about a job that I’ve not even heard about.
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
    Very interesting indeed! This article is brand new, so if he's telling the truth EON hasn't contacted Demage after Boyle left. Mackenzie is also out. EON has to pick someone soon....
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    EON has to pick someone soon....

Tell you what... I'll do it!!! I'm not in the business and know nothing, but I have experience of shouting at kids and have a difficult wife, so it can't be much of a leap, can it? :))

Maybe EON should tempt Uwe Boll out of film making retirement :))
    Problem solved! :D
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Meanwhile, the studio financing “Rhythm Section” is filing for bankruptcy. EON be busy these days...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/global-road-bankruptcy-soon-1202923956/
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    This may well be a controversial/unpopular view but...if 25 is significantly delayed I would prefer a wholesale review and recasting. I'd like Craig to have a fitting final outing where it all finally comes together but time and tide etc. Clinging on and waiting for Daniel has contributed to the current sorry mess although far from the whole story. If it goes beyond a spring release I think it's time to move on.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    Number24 wrote:
    Very interesting indeed! This article is brand new, so if he's telling the truth EON hasn't contacted Demage after Boyle left. Mackenzie is also out. EON has to pick someone soon....

This may make Variety's story about Bart Layton and S.J. Clarkson being director candidates more believable, but they did mention Yann Demage too ….
  • CRBCRB Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    This may well be a controversial/unpopular view but...if 25 is significantly delayed I would prefer a wholesale review and recasting. I'd like Craig to have a fitting final outing where it all finally comes together but time and tide etc. Clinging on and waiting for Daniel has contributed to the current sorry mess although far from the whole story. If it goes beyond a spring release I think it's time to move on.

Wasn't Spectre the whole "come together" plot - everything has been mastered by Blofeld from when Craig started ?
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    CRB wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

Wasn't Spectre the whole "come together" plot - everything has been mastered by Blofeld from when Craig started ?
    That's what made Craig's return a bit of a surprise. Everything about Spectre seemed to tie up his tenure nicely. He defeated the "author of all his pain", quit M16, and found love again. There really wasn't a cliffhanger about it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree, if there is going to be a long delay. Better to
    Bite the bullet and get a new actor, who can do a
    Few films rather than just one. This would be a natural
    Point for a break.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Lea Seydoux would love to come back but it sounds like she hasn’t been approached and she has filming dates that would conflict...

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/lea-seydoux-wants-return-madeleine-swann-bond-25-thomas-vinterberg-wants-direct-exclusive-133914206.html
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    There could very well be a delay but as I have said before, Craig will be back in Bond 25 unless things go completely off the tracks.
    There are millions riding on Bond 25 and Craig's return is a big part of it. It has also been reported that pre-production is continuing on Bond 25. If that is accurate then it would appear that Hodge's script is still in play, Craig is very much still on board and if there is a delay in the release date, IMO, it would probably be no later than spring 2020. Just my opinion.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    edited September 2018
    CRB wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

That's what made Craig's return a bit of a surprise. Everything about Spectre seemed to tie up his tenure nicely. He defeated the "author of all his pain", quit M16, and found love again. There really wasn't a cliffhanger about it.

No cliffhanger but the end was open to interpretation, Q says "I'd thought you'd gone?" gone where? Holiday?, left the building?, compassionate leave? Or left mi6 it could be any, Bonds response of "I have" is equally open to interpretation as in "yes Q I have gone on leave, but we are going on a driving holiday to Europe, you know, see if goldfingers factory is still there, but I need my car, that mi6 has just rebuilt in double quick time and are quite happy to give me back, which wouldn't happen if I'd left mi6 because it has frigging huge machine guns and lasers and stuff, and giving that to a civilian is just plain wrong".
    Should DC have stepped down then the ending would have made sense.
    As with a lot of Bond films continuity isn't an issue unless the new story retcons the previous instalments. Swan just becomes another Bond girl who disappears and Bond moves on. We could also see a story which hinges on Bond returning to the service, but Skyfall already did that.
    Let's not forget that at the moment Bond 25 is still officially in pre production, time yet to get a director on board, start filming and hit the release date....... I hope.
    Sorry Walther, only a bit of this post is actually a reply to yours :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Has anyone considered that we're all being played with ... let me explain.

They have announced Craig returning as Bond. We also know that a new actor will be playing Bond soon. What if this is the movie where Craig's Bond is in the opening 10mins only to give advice to the new actor (e.g. Elba) who then becomes a 00 and legally changes his identity to James Bond. Thus Craig is back as Bond ... sort of. But it's really the big reveal that Elba is the new "Bond" that we know.

Everything about this Tenure of Bond has been about realism, his ancestry, his weaknesses, his backstory. It would seem to out of place for the producers to just replace the actors face and continue with the continuity.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    CRB wrote:

They have announced Craig returning as Bond. We also know that a new actor will be playing Bond soon. What if this is the movie where Craig's Bond is in the opening 10mins only to give advice to the new actor (e.g. Elba) who then becomes a 00 and legally changes his identity to James Bond. Thus Craig is back as Bond ... sort of. But it's really the big reveal that Elba is the new "Bond" that we know.

Everything about this Tenure of Bond has been about realism, his ancestry, his weaknesses, his backstory. It would seem to out of place for the producers to just replace the actors face and continue with the continuity.

We could be being played with, but I sincerely hope you really don't believe we could just have a deed poll Bond? That would just ignite the whole codename theory fight again. :#
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    CRB wrote:
    zaphod99 wrote:

I meant in terms of character. Daniel is I believe capable of a more nuanced and complex Bond. We were promised the Bond we recognise after the rough Diamond in CR. I don't feel it fully developed or was fully realised. For me Bond went from' work in progress ' Bond to being dragged out to see as a warhorse without ever really passing go.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    CRB wrote:

Oh please....no, no, no, no....not the code name and Elba all at once. X-( :# :))
    HowardB wrote:
    CRB wrote:

Oh please....no, no, no, no....not the code name and Elba all at once. X-( :# :))

Too much, much too much. Make it stop I beg of you...I suspect leg pulling and being deliberately naughty.
    Who knows ? They could even spend the first half of the film focussing in Elba training then going on first mission, getting his two first kills - perhaps with the aid of Craig in a smaller role. Then by the end of the film Craig announces his retirement, and MI6 decides to make Elba the replacement 007. Not sure how they can subtely introduce the adoption of the name, but audiences have swallowed a complete change of actor before and got used to it. It's no more ludicrous than MI6 not even knowing about a terror organisation called Quantum or Spectre !
    CRB wrote:
    Who knows ? They could even spend the first half of the film focussing in Elba training then going on first mission, getting his two first kills - perhaps with the aid of Craig in a smaller role. Then by the end of the film Craig announces his retirement, and MI6 decides to make Elba the replacement 007. Not sure how they can subtely introduce the adoption of the name, but audiences have swallowed a complete change of actor before and got used to it. It's no more ludicrous than MI6 not even knowing about a terror organisation called Quantum or Spectre !

I'd rather slash my wrists........... :))
    CRB wrote:

This is such bonkers nonsense even I wouldn't believe this.