Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Comments

• MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    After he's changed a few dirty nappies and wiped some sick of his shoulder a time or two, he might
    Kill to get out of the house to do another Bond 

The profound wisdom of Thunderpussy strikes again. :)
  • jiipeejiipee Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    If there would be some smugglin-theme then I remember Swedish own Bond named Hamilton doing something in Lapland area. Area which connects four countries up north. And many many more similar has been done over the years.

"Alec Treveleyan's Cossack parents backstory" sounds nice. It would be something familiar for Bond fans, but not something that has been used over and over again.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    A plot involving the EU would be interesting. Perhaps not the EU as such but some made-up alternative. I'm just thinking with the UK leaving the European Union - the infamous 'Brexit' - something like that could be added to the plot. Perhaps a Russian villain (a mixture of General Orlov and Vladimir Putin) threatens Europe? Wants to stop the import of mobile phones into Europe. How can people live without their phones? That's a fate worse than what Blofeld planned in Thunderball. :D
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Carl Hamilton is an interesting secret agent - a count and a communist! :D
    I agree using the Arctic part of the Nordic countries is ideal for Bond.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,546MI6 Agent
    jiipee wrote:
    About the cast scouts visit in Finland. Ilta-Sanomat tabloid says it is very rare thing that we get that level casting people to visit Finland. Now it seems that Debbie McWilliams has met in two days time at least twenty three Finnish actors/actresses. It might be 28.

Correct me if I'm wrong, jiipee, but hasn't Finland fought various wars with Russia? Maybe a belligerent Russian would try something in Finland, maybe over Arctic oil?
  • jiipeejiipee Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Finland has been under Sweden then Russia. Independence at 1917, Then 1918 civil war (reds vs whites. Not our finest hour) 1939 Winter war, Russia attacked Finland using fake reason. Russia believed to conquer us in few weeks. Well they did not do that. Then we lost Karelia and few other parts to Russia at peacetalks... 1941 We went to get ours back from Russia, and everything. Then there was all kind of hassle, and we did not get ours back.. Well, we are still independent and had our centenial year a go.

Arctic oil is a hot potato, as the nothern shipping route is melting everything is possible.

And the Baltic sea has also some action. russian SU-27 harashing American EP-3. Russian spyplanes flying little too close to our borders.
    But after WWII Finland lost their access to the Barents Sea, so Finland no longer has access to any sea with oil or natural gas. Any conflict between Russia and a Nordic country would probably involve Norway.
    The idea is interesting, though. The North-east Passage, petrolium and other valuable rescources could make a good plot for a Bond movie.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,971MI6 Agent
    John Gardner's 3rd novel, Icebreaker , takes place partially in Finland, and has as much to do with resurgent Naziism as it does with the Russians just across the border. A few tweaks to the plot and it could be a very timely story.

I like the idea of shipping routes along the thawed arctic passages being threatened. Us Canadians have to worry about that, the once sought after NorthWest passage is now being used by foreign boats often without official permission. Oil companies (amongst others) are exploiting the newly accessible resources even as they officially deny Global Warming exists. And the international boundaries are now under dispute since formerly frozen waters are navigable, as open water boundaries are intended to parallel the continental shelf, rather than simply being extended to the poles as they have been up til now. So its not just shipping, it's who own the resources under the sea that is now open to question.

And a plot around shipping would be a fine excuse for Craig to finally put on Bond's naval uniform.
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Icebreaker is my favourite Gardner novel. I wouldn’t mind that being adapted.
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    And a plot around shipping would be a fine excuse for Craig to finally put on Bond's naval uniform.

Bond using a cover as an active British Naval Officer in the capacity of an observer/adviser on a Finnish or Norwegian ship would work I think. It's always fun when Bond's cover gets blown by the bad guys. "That British Commander, I knew he looked familiar, I remember him in Iraq, he's no sailor boy, he was SBS......why is he really on this ship?. Find out what's really going on." Later on, "That Commander Bond who you recognized, you were right, he's no sailor but he's not SBS anymore, he's a bloody MI6 agent and he will need to be dealt with". -{
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    John Gardner's 3rd novel, Icebreaker , takes place partially in Finland, and has as much to do with resurgent Naziism as it does with the Russians just across the border. A few tweaks to the plot and it could be a very timely story.

I like the idea of shipping routes along the thawed arctic passages being threatened. Us Canadians have to worry about that, the once sought after NorthWest passage is now being used by foreign boats often without official permission. Oil companies (amongst others) are exploiting the newly accessible resources even as they officially deny Global Warming exists. And the international boundaries are now under dispute since formerly frozen waters are navigable, as open water boundaries are intended to parallel the continental shelf, rather than simply being extended to the poles as they have been up til now. So its not just shipping, it's who own the resources under the sea that is now open to question.

Icebreaker is great, would make a great film.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Icebreaker would be a fantastic name for an action film as well.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0179861/
    It's a 2000 action flick, staring the Legendary Bruce Campbell -{ a sort of low budget "Die Hard" at a ski resort ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    ...ahh well nevermind then :)) 3.9 IMDb rating—hopefully B25 can get a better response than that.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:

Icebreaker is great, would make a great film.

Eon has never shown any interest in adapting John Gardner's books. Raymond Benson's Bond work never considered. I think it's fair to say Bond 25 will not be an adaptation of Icebreaker. The title remind me of the snow scenes in Die Another Day when Bond's rocket car is chased by the satellite's laser beam. That truly was an icebreaker! :D
    But they did use Colonel Sun in a scene in SPECTRE. That's the first time EON has used material from a continuation novel.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    Toronto Kicks Off With Hot Package: Daniel Craig Stars, Rian Johnson Directs Murder Mystery ‘Knives Out’
    https://deadline.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-rian-johnson-knives-out-james-bond-25-star-wars-the-last-jedi-toronto-film-festival-auction-1202456539/

Craig has committed to star in November, while his James Bond 25 film regroups following the exit of director Danny Boyle.

[...] Boyle’s abrupt exit from Bond 25 gave Johnson and Bergman an opening to pursue Craig, if he was up for squeezing in a movie before returning to his 007 franchise. When Craig sparked to the script and signed on, a hot package came together, just in time for the Toronto market. Besides the Bond films, both Johnson and Bergman followed Craig’s career closely since his strong turns that included Road to Perdition, Munich, Layer Cake, Defiance and Logan Lucky. They’ve seen his stage turns, and Johnson has met Craig socially several times. It made for a quick and easy alliance on Knives Out.

“I have been a huge fan and always wanted to work with him and as I worked on the script, trying to get it right, Ram and I were wringing our hands over who could be the detective,” Johnson said. “Then, serendipitously, we heard Daniel might have a small window, and it worked out. He’s an actor of extraordinary range, and we are looking forward to the fun of finding that modern detective, and collaborating with Daniel on creating a new Poirot.”
    James Bond Australia - Website | Twitter | Mastodon | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Newsletter

Bond on the Box - Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LetterBoxd | YouTube
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Red_Snow wrote:
    Toronto Kicks Off With Hot Package: Daniel Craig Stars, Rian Johnson Directs Murder Mystery ‘Knives Out’
    https://deadline.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-rian-johnson-knives-out-james-bond-25-star-wars-the-last-jedi-toronto-film-festival-auction-1202456539/

Craig has committed to star in November, while his James Bond 25 film regroups following the exit of director Danny Boyle.

[...] Boyle’s abrupt exit from Bond 25 gave Johnson and Bergman an opening to pursue Craig, if he was up for squeezing in a movie before returning to his 007 franchise. When Craig sparked to the script and signed on, a hot package came together, just in time for the Toronto market. Besides the Bond films, both Johnson and Bergman followed Craig’s career closely since his strong turns that included Road to Perdition, Munich, Layer Cake, Defiance and Logan Lucky. They’ve seen his stage turns, and Johnson has met Craig socially several times. It made for a quick and easy alliance on Knives Out.

“I have been a huge fan and always wanted to work with him and as I worked on the script, trying to get it right, Ram and I were wringing our hands over who could be the detective,” Johnson said. “Then, serendipitously, we heard Daniel might have a small window, and it worked out. He’s an actor of extraordinary range, and we are looking forward to the fun of finding that modern detective, and collaborating with Daniel on creating a new Poirot.”
    So I suppose that means there will be a delay?
    edited September 2018
    It sounds and reads like it's credible and accurate. I just find it a bit odd that EON didn't get out in front of this and announce that there would be a delay on the release date of Bond 25. Unless.......the Rian Johnson film is a relatively quick 4 week shoot and filming on Bond 25 will begin in January instead of December and can still make the fall 2019 release date. This quote from Johnson is interesting "“Then, serendipitously, we heard Daniel might have a small window, and it worked out."
    Another thing I noticed is the possibility of EON going for a late spring 2020 release for Bond 25. Just looking at some of the planned releases there are some gaps between the "big" releases that Bond could slip into unlike other late May and early Junes where the box office competition can be crowded and daunting.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    I never thought Daniel Craig was one to try to squeeze in extra projects. He likes his rests.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Maybe so it takes the pressure off of rushing to find a replacement director. If this Rian Johnson film takes a few months or less to shoot then that gives time for EON to sort out what they have to. Either way Bond kind of seems like an afterthought to Craig and EON now.
    So Bond25's release date is clearly delayed. :# :(
    "Knives out" isn't even on his IMDB page yet.
    IndieWire says "Knives out" is a murder mystery in the style of Agatha Christie and Craig will play the detective.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I can't cope with a delay, please don't let a delay happen.

2 bond films in the 'tens' decade??
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    IndieWire says "Knives out" is a murder mystery in the style of Agatha Christie and Craig will play the detective.

While I'd hate to see Bond 25 delayed, "Knives Out" sounds like a movie I would very much like to see.
  • MrGoreMrGore Posts: 129MI6 Agent
    James Bond Will Return....

Eventually
    The most optimistic members over at MI6community belive it's possible for Craig to do his bit in "Knives out" in eight weeks and then start on Bond25 in December.

A less optmistic member reminded people what happened when Timothy Dalton wanted to do only one more Bond movie after the five year gap after LTK. Cubby said he had to do at least two Bond's after such a long pause, a standalone after five years wouldn't work. Dalton agreed with Cubby, but didn't want to spend that many years playing 007. He released EON from the three movie contract and Pierce Brosnan stepped in.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    A less optmistic member reminded people what happened when Timothy Dalton wanted to do only one more Bond movie after the five year gap after LTK. Cubby said he had to do at least two Bond's after such a long pause, a standalone after five years wouldn't work. Dalton agreed with Cubby, but didn't want to spend that many years playing 007. He released EON from the three movie contract and Pierce Brosnan stepped in.

Craig has a more special relationship with Babs than Dalton had with Cubby. Cubby would have allowed Connery to do one standalone (and did), and I think it would be the same for Craig.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Gymkata wrote:
    A delay will shortly be announced, I'm sure of it. As such, we'll be pretty close to the gap between movies that we had between LTK and GE. As such, I honestly think that Craig will be done and 25 will start fresh with a new actor in the lead role.

IMO, whether Bond 25 is released in November 2019, Spring 2020 or Fall 2020 Craig will be Bond in the film. Too much is riding on Craig returning for one more, too much has probably been invested to just start over at this point.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,093MI6 Agent
    Deadline is reporting that Craig will star in Rian Johnson's new film Knives Out, scheduled to start shooting in November.

A couple excerpts:
    Boyle’s abrupt exit from Bond 25 gave Johnson and Bergman an opening to pursue Craig, if he was up for squeezing in a movie before returning to his 007 franchise. When Craig sparked to the script and signed on, a hot package came together, just in time for the Toronto market.