The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,840MI6 Agent
    edited October 2018
    Donald Trump's "60 Minutes" interview wasn't schocking. It would have been if any of the earlier US president had said these things. It would have been if any leader other Western leader said those things, but Trump has set his own bar very low.

When asked about when he mocked Christine Ford in in a rally, he just answers "It doesn't matter BECAUSE WE WON".
    In other words: it doesn't matter what I say or do if I win.

Video:
    https://www.indy100.com/article/trump-60-minutes-interview-climate-change-back-environment-reaction-twitter-video-8584196
    "There are tens of thousands of people [at the ‘re-education school’]... They have some problems with their thoughts"

- Xinjiang resident

China is jailing or sending to "re-education schools" one million Uighur muslims, about ten per cent of the whole minority. :o
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The " People's Re-Education " it's Brexit all over again :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    I'm worried about the mail bombs sent around in the USA, but I'm horrified and deeply saddened by the terrorist attack on the synagogue in Pittsburg. Let's hope the political and racial animosities in the country will calm down in the future.
    Yet another country has elected a far-right leader. Bolsonaro is the New president in Brazil. He is pro torture, rape, military junta rule and says a dead criminal is a dead criminal. He is anti gay, women's rights, native Indian minority, climate agreement and rain forrest. When he "debated With a woman who challenged him on his stand on rape, Bolsonaro said to her: "You don't deserve to be raped!"
    I'm really worried.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,501Chief of Staff
    End of an era: Angela Merkel announces that she'll be stepping down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46020745
    Here is an interview with ex-CIA John Sipher (great name!) for the SpyCast podcast. All of it is very interesting, but the reason I post it here is in the later part of the podcast they discuss the Mueller investigation, Trump, Clinton, Russia etc. Sipher discusses this from his background in the CIA and isn't involved directly then or now. His perspective is still interesting.

https://www.spymuseum.org/multimedia/spycast/episode/chief-of-station-an-interview-with-john-sipher/
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    End of an era: Angela Merkel announces that she'll be stepping down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46020745

She‘s pnly giving up the „CEO-position“ in her party, she still remains as chancellor (unfortunately) :))
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    An excellent documentory on drone warfare. In my opinion there should be an international treaty on the use of drones. Who is responsible when someone is killed by a drone? Should autonomous killer drones be legal at all? Is sending a surveilance drone into another country an act of of war? Is sending a killer drone an act of war?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/video/2015/feb/02/drone-wars-gamers-recruited-kill-pakistan-video
    President Trump about who is in the caravan walking towards the Mexican/US border:
    "Wonderful People from South America and ….. other parts ………. further south" :)) :)) :))

In the same meeting With the press he admitted there is no proof that there are any People from the Middle East in the caravan, in spite of the many claims he has made.
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Today's elections in the USA are critical.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    Yes, they are. They say the Democrats have a good chance of getting a majority in the House of Representatives, but the Republicans are likey to keep (or broaden) their majority in the Senate. Mind, "they" have been wrong before.
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    YES THEY HAVE -{

DEWEY.jpg
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    :)) :))
    Two leading Republicans say a Democrat win may be the best thing that can happen to Trump for the 2020 elections. Any problems and promises not fullfilled can be explained (away) by saying it's the Democrats in the House's fault. That's a good point.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,501Chief of Staff
    The Democrats have taken control of the House of Representatives, but the Republicans have retained control of the Senate.
    I think both parties won. The Democrats now has the House, ending the two years of not really having much power. They will function as a form of checks and balances to Trump, but Trump will use that for all it's worth in 2020. I also suspect a Democrat House will make Trump furious! The Republicans have a more solid majority in the Senate.
    Voter turnout was much better than in a usual midterm election and I'm normally a fan of that. but the reason so many people voted is Donald Trump, so perhaps this is mostly a sign of the severe split in the country.

The Democrats got quite a few new representatives, many of them women, young people and minorities. I think that's what the party needs in 2020, not presidential candidates like Elisabeth Warren or Oprah Winfrey.
    I know of one group that must be delighted with the results - the polling companies -{
    They actually got it right this time!

snoopy-happy-dance-meme.jpg
    Although it is funny, given how anti Trump the media and
    Hollywood is, that they didn't do better ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I think many of Trump's voters activly ignore the "mainstream" (i.e. fact checking) media. And in the 2016 almost all celebrities supported Hillary, didn't help much, did it? In this case the Trump voters are doing the right thing. Holywood actors don't know more about life and politics than ordinary people, it's probably the other way 'round.
    edited November 2018
    In the six weeks prior to the election the Republicans aired 60 000 anti-Nancy Pelosi ads :o
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,702MI6 Agent
    Although it is funny, given how anti Trump the media and
    Hollywood is, that they didn't do better ?

Indeed. I don't think we can write off the Trump presidency just yet. The Republicans did increase their representation in the Senate.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    To quote Bill Clinton: "It's the economy, stupid". The economy is going very well in the US today. I predict economists will debate for the rest of our natural lives how much Trump can take the credit for this (of course he will, but the qusestion is if he has reason to do so). The fact remains that this is extremely important when people vote, usually more important than who Robert de Niro thinks you should vote for.

It's intersting that Jeff Session, the US Attorney General, was sacked the day after the mid-terms. Trump has wanted him gone since Sessions recused himself from the Russia investigations because he had lied under oath that he never had any contact with Russian officials during the election. This means he couldn't sack or hinder Muller in his investigations, soemthing that made Trump very pissed of. The mid-terms means it will get easer to investigate Trump more, but even harder to impeach him. I wonder if Trump will appoint an replacement for Sessions who is willing to sack Muller. That will be an enormous political scandal, only comparable to Nixon's "Saturday night massacre".
    edited November 2018
    "Trump attacks Macron's call for EU army to defend against US as 'very insulting' ".
    When he's right, he's right. I can add stupid and ungrateful to the list of what to call Macron's statement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/eu-army-trump-macron-france-europe-military-us-russia-china-defence-a8627176.html
    edited November 2018
    I looks like a Brexit deal has been finished. I expect the deal will soon be made public and a thoughtful and open-minded discussion will follow. :v

trench.jpg
    :))
    I think from past experience whenever Europe
    Gets In to trouble, Britain has always come along
    To help...... as in 1914/18 and 1939/45 ;)
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,702MI6 Agent

Yes, and an "EU army" will be the first time in many decades that they've stood on their own two feet, without outside help.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited November 2018

Yes, but who is in the most trouble, the EU or Britain?
This discussion has been closed.