The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,697MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    :))
    I think from past experience whenever Europe
    Gets In to trouble, Britain has always come along
    To help...... as in 1914/18 and 1939/45 ;)

Yes, but who is in the most in trouble, the EU or Britain?

The EU, obviously. They just haven't realised it yet, in their arrogance.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited November 2018
    :))
    Until the EU learns Cricket, I doubt there's any hope. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    So it seems that the brokered Brexit deal will mean Northern Ireland will remain in the single market, essentially putting a border between there and the mainland UK, I can't see the DUP propping up Theresa May on this, and with Labour trying anything to grab a headline or score a cheap point I'm doubtful this deal will get past the house of commons, how many government ministers will resign tomorrow I wonder?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    Some people say the left has an advantage in comedy and the right in action movies :))
    The whole British cabinet is backing the Brexit deal. Comments? Rants? Anaysis?
    I predict a couple of resignations ;)
    At first glanse the deal looks like the Norwegian treaty with the EU - no custom tax to the EU market and a lot of shared rules and regulations with the Union. I repeat, that's just my first impression.
    I'm now hoping for a second vote, so I can again vote Leave.
    Adding " didn't you hear us the first time "

What a bunch of completely useless politicians X-(
    They have made a series of bad desicions, we can agree on that.
    I predict a couple of resignations ;)

50 Points for TP
    After that pizza meeting, the Dominoes continue to fall. :D
    I'm curious for someone who knows what they're talking about to say if the Brexit deal is similar to the Norwegian-EU deal. It's bound to happen …

If the deals are basically similar, I think the deal is fairly good for Norway because there are few of us and we sell a lot of oil, fish and things useful in wars to other countries. It's not as good for the British because there are far more of them. Look, a political analysis without difficult words. It can be done :D
    I'm just wondering who'll take over from May ? :D
    I womder what will happen first: a Brexit deal signed by all EU member states + the UK or a Swedish cabinet.
    It really puzzles me why May didn't anchor her negotiations in the cabinet as they went along. I understand she couldn't involve everyone all the time, but checking where she stood with the rest of the cabinet a couple of times during the negotiations seems sensible. Giving an orientation or two for the 1923 Commiteee and listening to their opinions would make sure she at least had her own party more or less behind her.
    The only person in the world who has ever managed to lose an elelction to Donald Trump thinks she's the right person to beat him in 2020 :o :o :o

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/12/clinton-aide-2020-run-983684
    It is amazing to think the Democrats have one one else
    To stand against him !
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,298MI6 Agent
    Michael Gove says he will stay on and has absolute faith in Mrs May.

This means he's likely to resign in the next few days having reconsidered his position!

Unless, of course, he'd pledged to resign to his Brexit mates, and he's already changed his mind!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) giving his history, I agree. Soon he'll ( politically) shove his
    Knife in May's back.
    It is amazing to think the Democrats have one one else
    To stand against him !

It seems like the Democrats have several well known politicians who are too old and several good vice president candidates , but I can't see any obvious candidates to the presidency. I've heard the Central committee of the Dems are all in their seventies or older.
    It's a wonder how little the Democrats have managed to take advantage of the fact that Trump is the leader of the Republicans, a man no-one (especially himself) knows what will say and do the next day.

The American system is different. In Europe we have parties with appointed leaders and party programs that everyone runs on. In the US the parties seem to be little more than election machines. Do you know of any other countries with a system like the US one?
    On Brexit: I get the impression that May tried to placate bot the hard Brexit crowd and the soft Brexit crowd. She made the deal a compromise, but ended up placating neither crowd. Is there some truth to this?
    Only my opinion obviously, but this deal seems to be a
    Remainers idea of leaving. Keeping the UK either still in
    Or as close to the EU as possible.
    Odd given how David Cameron and Nick Clegg made it
    Very clear in their speeches that voting to leave, meant
    Leaving Everthing !
    Only after the vote did the discussion about a hard or soft
    Brexit began. Up until then, it was a simple " We're Leaving "

I think for us over here in N.Ireland it is actually a pretty
    Good deal, .... but it won't make it through a house of
    Commons vote.
    Do you think the hard Brexiters really were ready for customs for both people and commodities going in and out of the EU?
    Given how plenty of countries have boarder crossings with their neighbours, and seem to be
    able to trade, without the world collapsing around them. I guess it wasn't a problem. :D

But please understand, I'm just a Bloke ….. I'm not on any negotiation Team, EU or British.
    Recently I made a political joke which a member thought was in poor taste. I immediately
    deleted it and changed it to a less offensive joke. I would like to make it clear to everyone
    I don't wish to offend anyone, as It's mainly N24 who haunts the political thread on AJB, I
    like to poke his cage occasionally, as I think he understands, I'm no political animal, and
    although it may be a serious subject, I don't have to treat it seriously.
    At times it's impossibel to treat today's politics seriously ...
    The thing I find funny about politics, both here in Europe and in America. Is that we are
    all democracies, so if you dislike the politician, if you can persuade enough people, you
    can vote them out again.
    If you don't like Trump, put someone to stand against him who has at least a chance of
    winning.
    I'll come out and say it: I think the Brexit vote was a huge mistake. I'm not saying Britain shouldn't leave the EU. But voting to leave while no-one has the faintest idea what the resulting deal will be is crazy. I'm not blaming the British people. David Cameron must take the blame. If possible the question in the first referendum should be "do you want Britain to negotiate an exit for Britain from the EU?" If practically possible there should be a couple of follow-up questions such as "Is customs at the UK/EU border acceptable?"

Then the second referendum would ask if the Brexit deal is acceptable. If the result was No the negotiations could go another round, but this couldn't go on forever.

I don't know if the EU would accept negotiations without an actual decision to leave and there are other problems with this, but the process we see today isn't working great either. It looks like the British PM has spent the last two years negotiating this deal instead of running the country, and she hasn't even informed her own cabinet about what she's doing in the negotiations!
    Mistake or not, I think it boils down to a question of
    Those who think it's a terrible idea and those who
    Think it's a great opportunity ;)
    Ivanka Trump and her husband both used private e-mail accounts while communicating with government officials while they were working in the White House , such as sitting in on the meeting between Canada's PM and her father. Almost certainly this is less serious than Hillary Clinton's use of a private server, both in the number of e-mails and how important they were. But Donald campaigned very aggressively against Hillary for doing this, so the smart thing is not to do the same :))

https://www.newsweek.com/ivanka-trump-personal-email-account-white-house-670700
This discussion has been closed.