The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    This is one of two reasons why I think it's my business to care about Trump even though I'm not from the US:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46351940
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    To use a terribly sad metaphor...when it comes to climate change denial, President Doofus unfortunately seems to be just the tip of the iceberg in this country.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    To use a terribly sad metaphor...when it comes to climate change denial, President Doofus unfortunately seems to be just the tip of the iceberg in this country.

MT.jpg

HT.jpg
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    Trump tweets: “A REAL scandal is the one-sided coverage, hour by hour, of networks like NBC & Democrat spin machines like Saturday Night Live. It is all nothing less than unfair news coverage and Dem commercials. Should be tested in courts, can’t be legal? Only defame & belittle! Collusion?”

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/donald-trump-tweets-nbc-snl-should-be-tested-by-courts-after-christmas-parody-sketch

I agree it isn't balanced, but that's not the job of a satire show, is it? But what we can really learn from Trump's tweet is a how democracy and free speech is second nature to him, how it lives in his veins and motivates everything he does :D
    A TV comedy show that mocks the President, how un-American can you get?
    Elizabeth Warren has joined the presidential race. Aparently there is no reason to be respectful or dignified about it. The most presidential president in the history of the US was asked what he thinks of her chances, and he replied "ask her psychiatrist". Can you imagine Reagan or either of the Bush Presidents talking about other candidates like that?
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    To be fair, they should have asked the President's Special Needs Coach.
    White House press secretary claims the USA is the only country in the world that cares about human lives and this makes the country unique. And she said it with a straight face. If any other presidential administration had said that it would be a scandal, but this one say so many crazy things, it's not even a big story. It's no wonder why conservatives in AJB don't want to post here when this kind of thing happens every wewk.

http://www.newshounds.us/chris_wallace_destroys_sarah_huckabee_sanders_border_wall_government_shutdown_lies_010719
    edited January 2019
    Sometimes Sweden seems strange even to other Scandinavians. In a TV debate on SVT (public broadcaster) during last election the leader of SD (the far right pupulist party) said "they (imigrants) shouldn't come here because they don't fit in here in Sweden". At least that's how I remember what he said. In most countries the journalists moderating the debate and the other party leaders present would confront him about that statement, and that's it. But the journalists turned to the camera and said the TV station (owned by Swedish taxpayers) rejected that statement!

More recently an audiobook was made of a book about gender by a psychiatrist. The actor hired by the state owned publishing company felt it was his role to stop reading the book to comment that the author was wrong! Not once, but three times! :))
    I dare say none of these things would have happened in any other Scandinavian country, and hopefully the rest of the world. In Sweden many feel this was the right things to do.
    I just heard in the News that Marxist students are being "disappeared" in China! :))
    There are no independent labour unions in China, so workers with grievances have to resort to illegal demonstrations and Marxist students support them. These students are expelled from university, in effect ruining the future of the students and their families, and in some cases they are taken away by men dessed in black and disappear. To quote Allison Morisette: "Isn't it ironic, don't you think?" :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,298MI6 Agent
    Daniel Craig is James Bond in:

A Special Place in Hell

Co-starring Donald Tusk as his arch-nemesis, channelling Kronsteen from FYEO.

download.jpg

However, the pts ends with Tusk begging 'Meester Bond, we can do a deal!!'

Co-stars the suggestively named Theresa May. A deadly femme fetale, whose side is she really on? According to her file, her secret weapons include boring folk into submission, while her deadly kink in bed is 'running the c*ck down'...

Her ally is Failing Grayling, who in the best Jaws tradition, tries and fails to carry out every task accorded to him. He is often given away by his ringtone, which goes 'One job... you've only got one job...'

Corbyn is the dithery old quartermaster who issues weapons on the proviso that Bond never actually uses them.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Sometimes Sweden seems strange even to other Scandinavians. In a TV debate on SVT (public broadcaster) during last election the leader of SD (the far right pupulist party) said "they (imigrants) shouldn't come here because they don't fit in here in Sweden". At least that's how I remember what he said. In most countries the journalists moderating the debate and the other party leaders present would confront him about that statement, and that's it. But the journalists turned to the camera and said the TV station (owned by Swedish taxpayers) rejected that statement!

More recently an audiobook was made of a book about gender by a psychiatrist. The actor hired by the state owned publishing company felt it was his role to stop reading the book to comment that the author was wrong! Not once, but three times! :))
    I dare say none of these things would have happened in any other Scandinavian country, and hopefully the rest of the world. In Sweden many feel this was the right things to do.

Honestly that seems good to me. I feel that people should be able to voice their opinions in these types of broadcasts, rather than presenting a 'face' that is not their own. If you strongly agree with some right wing asshole that you're interviewing, you should be able to turn to th camera and say 'what a dickhead. I do not agree with this guy!'
    Really? Or are you pulling my leg? I know I'm bad at picking up those signals. :))
    When he is recording an audiobook it's his job to record what's on the page. In any other situation he is free to say what he thinks about the issue.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Daniel Craig is James Bond in:

A Special Place in Hell

Co-starring Donald Tusk as his arch-nemesis, channelling Kronsteen from FYEO.

download.jpg

However, the pts ends with Tusk begging 'Meester Bond, we can do a deal!!'

Co-stars the suggestively named Theresa May. A deadly femme fetale, whose side is she really on? According to her file, her secret weapons include boring folk into submission, while her deadly kink in bed is 'running the c*ck down'...

Her ally is Failing Grayling, who in the best Jaws tradition, tries and fails to carry out every task accorded to him. He is often given away by his ringtone, which goes 'One job... you've only got one job...'

Corbyn is the dithery old quartermaster who issues weapons on the proviso that Bond never actually uses them.
    :)) :)) :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Very funny :))

While Tusk said it in the worst possible way ("special place in hell") I do agree with him. Deciding to leave the EU without a plan or even much of a thought on how it should happen was irresponsible. I guess part of the reason was that the referendum was Cammeron's dicision and he didn't want Brexit and he didn't think that would be the result.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,696MI6 Agent
    It's rather ironic as the EU has been a special kind of hell all of its own for many years now.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Yes. Emergency sessions has become the normal type of sessions for the EU parliament. :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I find it an amusing thought, that large parts of the Brexiteers (still) have the image, that Juncker and Tusk are sitting in their Brussels offices - stroking their white cats - and thinking all day long about ways to punish the UK.
    And this image has been there since Maggie Thatcher.

It's quite easy: If the UK leaves - they don't follow EU rules and don't pay EU membership fees anymore.
    Without that it's not possible to benefit from the EU market anymore - it has nothing to do with "punishment".

It's called common sense.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    And while we are on the topic: Ireland:

I wonder, why noone in the UK parliament is standing up and is saying the obvious:

There is no solution to solve the Ireland/N. Ireland issue.
    Everybody wants keep the borders open there, but it can't happen as for today and for a forseeable future

If the UK are leaving without a deal, that would mean that they would not need to follow EU industry/agricultural regulations.
    These regulations make production expensive and the UK could theoretically flood the EU market with their unregulated (and much cheaper) products thru the open border in Ireland.

Now people may tell me, that this is not the intention, but the 40 year-or so hate against the EU and Mays thoughtplays about competing the EU in the future with the concept of a tax-haven speaks against it.

So all the talks about coloniaism, handcuffing and the EU still dominating the UK is just talks around the still obvious:

The Emperor has no clothes (which nobody wants to say) - which means an unregulated BREXIT and open borders in Ireland are NOT POSSIBLE!

Now some people are saying, that it's up to the EU to find a way out of this issue.
    May I then remind politely, that the UK decided to leave the EU and not vice versa?

I can't see any obvious solution to the problem with the Irish border after Breixit either. It's just another problem the Brexiters didn't think through before voting leave, I suspect.
    edited February 2019
    I am just reading that the illusion about getting tons of new trade deals once that the UK are leaving was just that.

Well, I‘ve said it before the referendum, but it was put to scaremongering.

Mr. Fox even failed in most cases to verbatim copy existing (EU) trade deals and continue them with the existing trade partners because those are not willing to give the same concessions to UK land alone like they are doing with the EU.

Time to wake up, but at least the trade deal the Føroyar islands stands :D

And as many Brexiteers are still betting on the EU to budge last minute in the eye of disaster:
    We have elections for the EU parliament this summer and campaigning just starts after March 2019.
    Guess how the voters will treat the MPs that would have cracked last minute. Not gonna happen

The UK just signed a trade deal with Switzerland. I don't think getting a trade treaty with Norway will be a big problem. The supply of chocolate, cuckoo clocks, fish and oil will be secured! :D
    Let‘s not forget Rolex watches :D

I'd say that covers the most important needs of the UK. :))
    To be serious the UK will need a new trade with the EU, but I think negotiating trade deals with other countries won't be too difficult. The UK will probably secure deals with the main countries in America, Oceania, Asia, Africa as well as the European countries outside the EU. The exception may be Russia because of the political tension between the UK and Russia.
    download.jpg

And so you're back
    From outer space
    I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face
    I should have changed that stupid lock, I should have made you leave your key
    If I'd known for just one second you'd be back to bother me

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 2019
    I reluctantly have to admit I didn't get that one at all. Who's in the photos?
    A thought about the ongoing theatre that is playing in Westminster.

Imagine for a minute, if the EU were as chaotic, inconsistent, sneaky, aggressive and divided as the UK parliament is.

It would be a fest for the Murdoch Press slamming on all the useless, life-far, decadent MPs of the EU who are simply disgusting and that one must get rid of all of them as fast as possible....

edited February 2019
    :)) :)) I am just hearing Steve Colbert: So, March 29th when everything is going ---- teakettle up :)) :))

Number24 wrote:
    I reluctantly have to admit I didn't get that one at all. Who's in the photos?

images-stories-2019-2019-02-2019-02-15-bring-home.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Thanks, now I get it. Honestly I think we should be very careful letting those people back in. I also think the government should have been brave enough back then to say: "If you yoing the IS, you'll never be allowed back in Europe again."
    edited February 2019
    I disagree.

If we have immigrants that plan to commit crimes in Europe or join terrorgroups, we are very quick deporting them.
    But we set other standards when „our“ people do the same in Syria and Afghanistan.

In my opinion, the chances that they end up at court and in prison (and stay there) is higher when they are „back home“.

This discussion has been closed.