New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

18 years since DC was announced today - will it get to 19 before we know?!

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 250MI6 Agent
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent

Oh goody .....

edited October 2023

The Bond Geek favourite for the next Bond actor is ....... Pierce Brosnan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17GhGgdzseU

We have mostly positive memories of Brosnan's tenure, but I think this is a terrible idea. We want the James Bond movies to progress (but not forgetting tradition), not to regress. Casting Brosnan now is saying : we were wrong in our Craig experiment and new we're just going to go back to what we did in the 90's. This perhaps the worst thing EON could do in the current situation.

That's my opinion, no more no less. What do you think?

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 409MI6 Agent

Considering it won't happen, I never asked myself whether it would be great or terrible. Brosnan is not my Bond but he deserved better scripts than the poor ones he actually got. To be honest, I don't know if I would have considered Moore without FYEO...

Even with some genuine Ian Fleming's James Bond story, having him back today would be quite weird and not very appropriate. NTTD already features a retired Bond, and having some new version of NSNA with Brosnan would not be very original.

Nevertheless, I'm not against making the link with what has been done in the past, but it has to be subtle. For example, Tracy in LTK and TWINE.

I agree, especially in that it will never happen.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

Lemme guess, you Elordi boosters have cooled on the prospect... 😉

I have to admit I'm not as strong in my support now.

Literally perfect

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent
    edited November 2023

If not Nic Hoult, Douglas Booth would be good. and also 35, as Bond should be, by the time Bond 26 comes out.

New Jacob Elordi photos in GQ are basically him auditioning for 007

Saw his enormous face on the wall at the local TAG Heuer boutique and wondered if that impacts such things as this.

I don't think this dude wants to be your next Bond... https://variety.com/2023/film/news/jacob-elordi-rejected-superman-audition-kissing-booth-ridiculous-1235789182/

“Well, they asked me to read for Superman. That was immediately, ‘No, thank you.’ That’s too much. That’s too dark for me.”

(On the "one for them, one for me" philosophy of doing movies) “That one’s a trap as well. Because it can become 15 for them, none for you. You have no original ideas and you’re dead inside. My ‘one for them,’ I’ve done it.”

(On slagging a previous franchise) “How is caring about your output pretentious? But not caring, and knowingly feeding people ****, knowing that you’re making money off of people’s time, which is literally the most valuable thing that they have. How is that the cool thing?” Had DC said that, you'd have folks on here calling for his head.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

Yeah, anybody but this guy. Last thing we need is another over-pretentious “artist” inhabiting Bond.

Surely the role is his for the taking?

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

Not really. Elordi is the newest hot thing right now. EON likes to find someone and make them the next hot thing.

Elordi is a bit too "giraffe like" for me. He's a good enough actor he still looks too young (I think Michael Wilson said they were looking for a mid 30's Bond). Great suit though. He looks like James Bond's nephew in it.😁

edited November 2023

I think Elordi is one of those 20's actors who can pass as 30-something. Today Elordi is 26, so by the time Bond26 is likely to be released he'll be the age Lazenby or Connery were when they made their first own Bond movie. I'm not completely won over, but he is an interesting candidate.

• lotusguy2001lotusguy2001 Posts: 132MI6 Agent

I don’t want to be someone judging someone here, but I can’t help but notice that nearly every candidate that Lucius puts forward has either played or is possibly a member of the LGBTQ community? Elordi, Dickinson, Mescal, the Cinderella guy.

So I’m not sure if that is their criteria for a choice? Just an observation.

As for Elordi, he looks fine until you see him with others. I mean look at those huge wide leg jeans and black overcoat above, he’s seriously tall, it would be like JAWS he couldn’t fit in any exotic car they give him, he’d be a foot taller than his leading ladies(men) etc. How is he supposed to be stealthy? Or for that manner how do you find a Red Grant or Mr Hinx or Stamper type villain for the guy?

Brosnan had a gay love scene (if only as a mob trap) in The Long Good Friday, his second screen role. Dalton played a character presented as gay or at least bi in his first film role (The Lion in Winter). Craig had a gay sex scene (with Truman Capote!) the same year CR came out, in the biopic Infamous.

If it's not just a coincidence, it's probably something closer to do with very good actors not being closed off from roles that others would worry about being bad for their "image." A good actor isn't hung up on such things.

Oh I agree, Craig had plenty of scenes like that, as did the previous two. It just seemed as if possibly that was a criteria in their (Lucius) picks.

It was meant as an observation not a judgement but it seemed as if it may have been a factor in their picks and why they seem contrary to a lot of the traditional names that were being thrown around.

People such as Cavill, Hardy, and Aaron Taylor Johnson. Those actors have played it, but the more modern actors are possibly more open about it or actually publicly identify as such.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

Jonathan Bailey anyone? Looks like a very good candidate (perhaps a bit short at 5'9") but ticks a lot of boxes and his wiki page reads well (some extracts below);

Jonathan Stuart Bailey (born 25 April 1988)[1] is an English actor. Known for his comedic, dramatic, and musical roles on stage and screen, he is the recipient of a Laurence Olivier Award and a nomination for an Evening Standard Theatre Award.

Bailey has been described by the media as a sex symbol whose fans, according to the Los Angeles Times, span "all genders and orientations."[77][78] TIME magazine included Bailey in its annual class of Next Generation Leaders in 2022, writing that he is "redefining the 'Hollywood Heartthrob'"

An avid cyclist, Bailey has also competed in marathons and triathlons, in addition to being fond of paddleboarding and mountaineering.[88][89][7] In 2018, he climbed the Everest base camp in Nepal, and the following year climbed Ben NevisScafell Pike, and Snowdon within 24 hours to raise money for MND Association Scotland.[32][90] Resident on the Sussex coast in Hove,[91] he regularly takes cold sea swims in the morning for "exhilaration, ... invigoration, and resuscitation.

His sexuality shouldn't matter, btw😉

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Definitely has that look, I’m not familiar with him myself. I don’t care about his sexual orientation, he’s an actor.

I simply noticed that Lucius whether male or female seemed to be picking possibly LGBTQ candidates which I read as a possible “type” or criteria for the picks they championed.

No difference to someone picking only muscular or tall actors or for that matter Caucasian or only people of color or only straight actors.

I kind of like Jack Lowden, seems to play the kind of condescending character well in a few things I’ve seen.

That being said Bailey is 5’ 11” according to imdb. He does appear to be possibly LGBTQ which even though he’s just playing a character, could that be not in his favor?

If he’s supposed to be the embodiment of male fantasy, can the public separate characters from reality?

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 211MI6 Agent

Depends on the actor. Luke Evans seems to have zero problems playing lead heterosexual characters even though he's completely open about being gay.

For that matter, Luke would have made for a great Bond about 10 or so years ago.

I agree about Luke Evans as well.

edited December 2023

Actors are actors and can and should in general be allowed to play any type of role they look a bit like. But I do have problems seperating actor and role and actor when it comes to Bond, probably because Bond is such an icon of Britishness and heterosexuality. I wouldn't like it if the actor playing Bond spoke American English in interviews or having a male partner. I know it isn't strictly rational or even necessarily a positive trait, but that's how I feel. I think I'm fairly liberal-minded, so this begs the question how a gay Bond actor will be seen in the many parts of the world where some people often are less liberal than much of western Europe. Generalistions , I know, but there's truth to it.

edited November 2023

Should I've posted it in the "Controversial Bond 26 opinion" thread? 🙄