New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• lotusguy2001lotusguy2001 Posts: 132MI6 Agent

No, you were able to kind of say what I thought. I just couldn’t find the right words and at 44 and somewhat set in my ways I wasn’t sure how to say it without possibly offending any of our community.

Honestly I thought that with the Lucius picks they might have thought Bond should be 25 and LGBTQ in the controversial thread.

That would definitely be a huge change but I don’t know if the world would be ready, I have to say I wouldn’t be ready as it doesn’t seem the character that was created.

With that being said perhaps it’s time to organically introduce a side character or fellow agent that identifies as such?

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    edited November 2023

I wouldn't be opposed to Tanner or Leiter being gay. I liked the way the character "Steve Jinks" in the TV-series "Warehouse 13" was portrayed. The character was gay, but this was never a plot point or discussed at length. His sexual orientation was treated as an aspect of the character, not that different from another character's fondness for cookies (even though a person's sexual orientation is more important than a fondness for snacks, but in story terms they were treated equal). They both went on with their work and the show didn't focus on those aspects of the characters. This is unlike the otherwise brilliant movie "Barbie". I found it too heavy-handed in its message. I think a LGBQT+ character who is just another person who helps the story move along is the best way to represent that community in a blockbuster. An example of this is David Suchet's character in the 1998 triller "A perfect murder". His character is shown to be a muslim and I belive he prays in a scene, but nothing more is made of his religion. He's just a man, not a villain or hero, who moves the story along with his actions. Hollywood movies should probably have more minority characters like that who are just a person and not a message. Ironically that's the best message.

• lotusguy2001lotusguy2001 Posts: 132MI6 Agent

I Guess that is kind of how they handled Q in NTTD.

I’ve not seen Warehouse 13 I’ll look it up. I do agree with you that it’s more natural just to have a character go thru their day by day routine to give glimpses of who they are rather than try to overtly show you every aspect of a character’s life to reinforce the trait, belief, or sexual orientation the writer wishes you to see.

Exactly. The Craig era had an excellent Scooby gang, but it's important not to spend to much time on their private lives. Q waiting for his date was perfectly measured in that respect.

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 418MI6 Agent

Nic Hoult has been cast as Lex Luthor in James Gunn's upcoming Superman: Legacy movie. Does this mean he's out of the Bond race (assuming there is one outside of fan speculation)?

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

As long as it's done by 2035....probably not 😁

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

He'll complete a Superman trilogy before Bond gets going so I don't see any problem.😁

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • NeverIsForeverNeverIsForever Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    edited December 2023

This is the dude

Does he have a name?

• NeverIsForeverNeverIsForever Posts: 3MI6 Agent

The only one who fits the bill

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 250MI6 Agent

Jacob Elordi looking like the new James Bond in this trailer

edited December 2023

This secret agent wants YOU to read the 2023 Christmas Special! https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/56289/the-ajb007-christmas-special-2023#latest

There is an tendency among some male celebrity to sometimes dress in a transgender way. if they're really into dressing in female garb, then fine. it's who they are. But if they do it just to look progressive I'm not a fan and to me it counts as a negative for a potential Bond actor.

Paul Mescal is the current frontrunner according to the tabloids

And the tabloids are always right! 😃

Barry Keoghan would make a great 007

Fantastic actor, plus he has something unpredictable and exciting about him. He's edgy, cool and mischievous. He has soemthing similar to him like Daniel Craig. He isn't a generic pretty boy. He is quite fearless as an actor. Saldy he is only 5′ 8″ which I think is a little too short.

He isn't a generic pretty boy, but is he handsome at all? And to go shorter than Craig? He got cast in spite of being under six feet, not because of it. Being British, male and a talented actor isn't enough to become James Bond.

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent
    edited December 2023

Yeah, I really don't see anything that evokes Bond about the chap.

Okay, his Saltburn co-star will do.....

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

Elordi is far too pretty. Keoghan isn’t remotely handsome. And neither look mature enough to play Bond. Lucius, I’m curious. Have you read any Ian Fleming?

• JTBondJTBond Posts: 112MI6 Agent
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited December 2023

I also agree, but much harder pass on Keoghan; fine actor, nothing about him says Bond to me. Not a knock on Elordi's ability as an actor but the teen heart throb type is just not James Bond.

He's having a big moment and is really destined for big things. I think that BB must be looking at him

I recently watched both Margot at the Wedding and Belfast adn was struck by the fact that Ciaran Hinds could have made a good Bond in his day. He could have bought a darker edge to those 1990s

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

Jonathan Bailey again not doing his chances any harm whatsoever, modelling the new OB collection;

"Any of the opposition around..?"