New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent

He looks a bit cold, almost psycopatic, so he can't play a government assassin.....

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,283MI6 Agent

I've not heard of him, but he looks rather good, as No24 says, slightly cold and heartless, but I also think he could break into a wary smile. Looks good in a suit.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 250MI6 Agent
    edited August 2023

Paul Mescal and Aaron Pierre (two of my leading contenders) have a new film coming out called Foe.....It looks interesting

Though it will be very hard to replace this man.......

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,545MI6 Agent

Daniel Craig was officially announced as Bond in October 2005. I am expecting a similar timeline unless the SAG strike continues.

ATJ's Kraven movie is being released next August, hopefully its BO wouldn't harm a Bond movie with ATJ starring in it.

I've said before, elsewhere on this site, marketing deals, product placement deals have been done for the next Bond movie. Obviously most contracts have Force Majeure clauses so the ongoing SAG and WGA strikes would trigger such a clause if the strikes continue and impact production schedules.

ATJ had a very small role in Tenet. I'm not sure he would be Nolan's choice, if he has any say in the new Bond and I don't think he would have. I think that is BB and MGW's decision. Any Bond would be expected to be in more films than just Nolan's alleged trilogy.

I did notice in his interview with Happy Sad Confused, Nolan said on Bond that "you're working within a particular set of constraints".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWBJ-60L8Lg&t=1611s

I actually think the idea for Tenet, a time weapon, was that pitch that we heard he made to EON some time ago and Nolan's recent comments sound different to me to his previous comments about Bond films. I think Nolan has maybe grudgingly accepted he has to toe the line.

And he'll have to accept Purvis & Wade working on the script. I think BB and MGW have realised after the fiasco of the Spectre script process with John Logan and the good work they did with Cary Fukunaga to knock a script into shape quick time for NTTD, that Bond films benefit from experienced writers having substantial input,

Universal has the deal to distribute the next Bond, it wasn't just for NTTD. Warner Bros has the deal to distribute the movies after the next one.

Oppenheimer is a Universal Studios movie. Nolan left WB after a disagreement and went to Universal but the WB people he fell out with have since left WB.

I think Oppenheimer proves that Nolan has a guaranteed audience, and any Bond movie will make something north of $700 million.

Will ATJ be the next Bond, I don't know, but I think the odds that Nolan will be the director have improved.

edited August 2023

I don't think Nolan has any time travel in his Bond pitch. He's a Bond fan and knows that sort of thing isn't part of the Bond formula. What can be done or not done in a Bond movie is in my opinion part of what he was thinking of when he mentioned "particular set of constraints". He did however mention casting as something he has to have control over if he ever directed Bond. In my opinion EON and Bond would have to agree on the actors for the main roles in a contracts, especially Bond and the Scooby Gang. This is because EON will be "stuck" with these actors after Nolan leaves the series. There is a chance Nolan makes a self-contained Bond trilogy. In that case EON may give him even more freedom. It doesn't matter that much to EON who Nolan casts as Miss Moneypenny if they can re-cast her after tree movies.

edited August 2023

I think Nolan's chances of directing James Bond increased with Oppenheimer. Tenet showed Nolan indulging his interests too much with a plot about going backwards and forwards in time, and it didn't work very well. Oppenheimer on the other hand was very successful with both the critics and the audience. Oppenheimer focused on character and plot. Nolan edited scenes from three periods in Oppenheimer's life, but nothing outside of the usual.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

I think Nolan has outgrown franchises. The time has passed.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent

The success of Oppenheimer HAS to make Nolan more attractive to Eon (and whoever else has input on the decision). They want a billion dollar box office. Anything less is a failure in their books seemingly. And the buzz of Nolan directing Bond would be about as big as there is long before the film appears.

On the other hand, we've also gotten casting rumors about supporting characters and presumably these choices would belong to the director first and foremost based on his interpretation (and input) on the script. I doubt he'd sign on to Rebel Wilson as Q. Not that I believe Rebel Wilson will ever play Q.

The TL;DR here: I have no clue.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,760MI6 Agent

I think Nolan is unlikely as long as BB and MGW remain in charge. It would be PR gold to bring in Nolan, and guaranteed box office success, but in the end, I think they’d have too much trouble agreeing on a direction. And then there’s Amazon, who will want some say as well. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,148MI6 Agent

With both BB and CN both being big admirers of Tom Hardy, then despite his age I think there is still a good chance he will be cast. He's got 15 years on Tom Cruise, so they may not be too concerned he's mid-40s. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see TH cast as Bond with Cillian Murphy as the Villain.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent

I just recently saw someplace else someone mention Scottish actor Thomas Doherty would make a good Bond and I'd have to agree, just based on his looks.

He looks like a young Sean Connery. Whether he can act is another thing as I don't believe I've ever seen a film he's been in. But the resemblance is uncanny!

Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”

A mix of Connery and Malek, perhaps?

Definitely a bit of Sam Neill in there too. Overall though, he doesn't really do it for me.

Jacob Elordi makes a case for himself as the new 007 in the Saltburn trailer, which was shot by Linus Sandgren

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent

He barely says anything?

I feel like I've seen that film a few times before. Someone will die at the end as the summer takes a tragic twist, either Keoghan or Elordi's characters.

I think Elordi fits the classic Byronic hero mould. He would be a good mix of Dalton (brooding and intense) and Brosnan (classically handsome and smooth). He would also add a youthful quality whilst still appearing masculine.

edited September 2023

Universal has the distribution rights for Bond26 and it is the studio behind Nolan's Oppenheimer whose worldwide gross is now more than $850 million and will probably finish its theatrical run at almost $1 billion worldwide. For a 3h long movie about an obscure scientist, admittedly who ran one of the most important scientific projects in human history, that's very impressive.

For this reason, I can imagine that Universal is lobbying BB and MGW hard for Nolan to direct Bond26 and so what Nolan has said about Bond actors should be noted. I can also imagine BB and MGW saying, Nolan has to agree to this, this and this.

Hopefully Nolan also recognises that David S. Goyer, a comic book writer and screen writer, helped him enormously on his Dark Knight movies. Purvis & Wade have a great depth of knowledge of the Fleming books and I think would be great co-writers on a Nolan film. But to the actor...

Nolan has said that Dalton is his favourite Bond. He has also said OHMSS is his favourite Bond film.

For me, Dalton has done the best in embodying Fleming's Bond. Craig was an entirely different take, Pierce and Sir Roger played themselves to a large degree, and Sean was the rough blue collar Bond, reflecting his background.

When Dalton was picked as Bond he was 40 years old, so older than BB's comments suggest the age range they are looking for. Dalton is tall too, according to IMDb he's 6' 2. That does fit with BB's comments. I'd say that Dalton has a classic handsome look, while Craig I'd say has a unique look. While Dalton was born in Wales, he does sound English.

If you look at who Nolan picks as his leading actors they are experienced actors, maybe only Dunkirk with its ensemble cast deviates from that but even then Tom Hardy and Kenneth Branagh both have small roles. Even with his first significant movie, Memento, Guy Pearce at that point had been an actor for a decade and was in LA Confidential.

For Dunkirk, I think only Jack Lowden and Hardy from that cast have been suggested on AJB007 threads as candidates,

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4110963/?ref_=tt_cl_t_10

I don't think Hardy will be picked as Bond. He's now Venom.

Funnily enough, when you use IMDB name search and look at the UK male actors in the right age range, and check their bios for height, Aaron Taylor Johnson, is high on the list with 20 years of acting under his belt. He's not my first choice and I agree with Grace Randolph that ATJ has not proved to be a box office draw. Moore and Brosnan did have that audience attracting charisma IMHO which helped them.

Other names that have been proposed in the media are Richard Madden and James Norton, but Norton will be 40 in 2025 (likely date for Bond26 now there is the writer's strike) and Madden is short at 5'9 and I thought Citadel could be his Bond audition role and TBH he wasn't very good.

I'll throw a new name in, well I think its new, Sam Clafin. Right age, right height, I think he has the right sort of look, and he's been an actor for 10 plus years.

One other name I've suggested on AJB007 before also stands out with the Nolan criteria, Tom Brittney. And he was in BB's Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool. A small part but BB has worked with him. And he was considered for the new Superman movie.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nicholas-hoult-tom-brittney-david-235900598.html

Interesting points @someone

I didn't realise Dalton was CN's favourite Bond. I like Dalton' Bond so would be happy if they went down that route.

I've suggested Sam Claflin before (after seeing his brief but excellent performance in Last Night in Soho), https://dcbicki.tumblr.com/post/670486475718180864/christian-slaters-sam-claflin-in-last-night-in

Not sure he's BB's type though.

edited September 2023

Jacob Elordi looked great at the Venice Film Festival promoting Priscilla

Who knows what really is BB's type but I think he looks the part in those pics. He looks like a man who has some life experience, not a lad.

edited September 2023

He'll only be 28 in 2025, he's far too young based on BB and MGW's comments so far. We know they want a Bond in his 30s who has some life experience, to paraphrase MGW.

In my opinion Elordi looks more mature than most actors in their 20's today. I don't think the two years matters a lot.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,332MI6 Agent

Can someone be TOO tall to play Bond...?

edited December 2023

Elordi is so tall the question needs to be asked. My reply is: maybe ....

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,728MI6 Agent
    edited September 2023

I'm still at a bit of a loss as to what folks are seeing in Elordi. I feel like it's a joke I'm not getting! 😁

I personally think he's too tall to play Bond.

He’s too pouty looking. Looks like a spoilt child. Not what we need for Bond. I think he’d be an appalling choice.

I’m not really familiar with Claflin but I agree that he looks the part!