New poll (2020): Who do you want as the next James Bond?

1424344454648»

Comments

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

Cillian would make for an interesting M or a pretty brilliant villain.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

Agreed.

Ana de Armas was interviewed by The Sun and said someting very sensibly about the idea of a female Bond and the role of women in the Bond movies in the future. I agree 100% with her.

"There's no need for a female Bond. There shouldn't be any need to steal someone else's character, you know, to take over. This is a novel, and it leads into this James Bond world and this fantasy of that universe where he's at."

Instead, de Armas says she'd like to see the existing female roles in the franchise be a bit meatier. "What I would like is that the female roles in the Bond films, even though Bond will continue to be a man, are brought to life in a different way," she said, adding, "That they're given a more substantial part and recognition. That's what I think is more interesting than flipping things."

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Cillian Murphy looks like he's in Arctic Monkeys.

Meanwhile....

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

Interesting female characters have always been part of the franchise. The producers didn't wait 1995 to show it on screen.

Pussy, Tracy, Andrea Anders, Anya, Holly, Melina, Octopussy, Pam...all of them do have strong personalities. And it's the same with literary characters like Tiffany and Domino.

Too many people unfortunately seem to have in mind the usual archetype of sexual object. Has Mary Goodnight become a standard after 1974 ? I don't think so. It always makes me laugh to hear comments from several actresses like: "If you expect my character to be the typical Bond girl only here to exhibit her figures, you will be disappointed". If they really mean it, I'm afraid it's the demonstration of a limited knowledge/understanding of this universe.

True. But de Armas is taking about well-written characters that are relatable and interesting, and she's right.

Of course she's right, and she even mentions the novels, which is a very good point. It proves she knows Bond doesn't come from nowhere. We need well-written characters indeed. Fleming knew that, Cubby knew that, BB knows that. I don't see why it would change in the future.

Nevertheless, it doesn't mean your story must always be built around the characters. After the last three movies, you can expect stakes much more appealing in terms of espionage/geopolitics plotwise, which doesn't prevent at all from having well-written characters.

edited March 13

Absolutely. Bond novels and movies had many strong characters, but the stories we're always plot-driven.

I especially hope for well-written female villains and henchme .... henchpersons that will attract the best actresses.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent
    edited March 18

Aaron Taylor Johnson will ink the deal this week according to UK tabloid The Sun.

The story goes on to say that Bond26 has been delayed due to last year's actor and screen writers strikes.

edited March 18

Finally a trustworthy source! 😉

If true, then expect a trade (Deadline, Variety, THR) to confirm this week and even an official EON press release. It would be kinda wild if the next Bond is simply a coronation and the first person rumoured gets the job. This is rather stark in contrast to 2005. Also hilarious photo in the Sun (they also put it on their frontpage)

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

He'll polish up nicely for Bond. I fully expect him to be more like this:

I know a guy whose concierge's rabbit met a turtle from Piccadilly. According to the turtle, Aaron Taylor-Johnson will sign a forteen-picture deal based on the John Gardner novels. Apparently, the idea is from MGW.

People in the neighborhood say the source can be trusted, but I'm skeptical because The Sun mentions a toad, not a turtle...

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff

Yea…it would be unlike The S*n to make something up 🙈🙉🙊

YNWA 97

I personally hope he keeps the long hair for at least his debut. We haven't had a Bond with long hair in a while...

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Are they doing Never Send Flowers first? If so, I'm on board.

P.S. I eat frogs for breakfast. 🐸

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited March 20

@Silhouette Man from what they say, they 're looking first for Nena Blofeld. According to The Sun, and this time confirmed by the turtle, Jodie Comer will sign the deal on Friday 😉

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent

Now that Blofeld's dead I'm sure his daughter will come to the fore. See, it all fits. 😉

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • NeverIsForeverNeverIsForever Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    edited March 21
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent

For the Henry Cavill fans, this fake trailer has racked up 2.1m views in just 3 days.

They've got right what most fake trailers get wrong, the music fits the images, and the voice over works. I like the fact that Quantum of Solace scenes are used for this trailer. Otherwise its material from The Man from U.N.C.L.E and a blink and you'll miss it appearance by the NTTD glider submarine.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,568Chief of Staff

At least it only shows Cavill either standing still or taking a couple of steps….anything else is beyond him 🫣

YNWA 97