Who should play the next MI6 regulars?

Comments

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent

An actress with a comedy background, Daisy May Cooper, said to be the new M.

The comments in the story reflect Barbara Broccoli's past comment that Bond goes on adventures and "has some fun along the way".

After gritty, sombre Daniel Craig Bond, maybe we are going to see a more Roger Moore like take?

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent

I don't see her as M.

I could possibly see her as a main villain a la Blofeld, or a henchwoman a la May Day.

She could be a baddie, she got the looks and style.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

We definitely need more fun.

• MI6_HeadquartersMI6_Headquarters Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    edited March 2023

Yes, but M is not a fun character from the start, he/she was always serious.

And I just don't see her as M! That role had some sort of high reputation, if any, the next M should be Admiral again, bring back the Bernard Lee style of M.

But a fun villain could somehow work, she could be a henchwoman a la May Day, or a female version of Blofeld.

But M? Heck no! Please! It's not that different to have Moneypenny played by a male rapper. 😄

If this casting happens, it would be much more worse than casting Denise Richards as a Nuclear Physicist, just miscast.

This casting of Daisy May Cooper as M would make Denise Richards as Nuclear Physicist more plausible in comparison.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

Yeh, sorry I was speaking generally, but I take your point.

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent

I couldn't agree more about M's seriousness. Furthermore, I hope they will bring back the "Fleming" relationship between Bond and M. This mutual respect with some severity from M and some apprehension from Bond.

In the novels, I like when Bond tries to hide his irritation or to keep his self control when he thinks the "old man" doesn't consider him the way he deserves.

In TLD, I love the briefing scene in M's office, with the fortnight's leave line and the way Bond says he wants this assignment.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

the M-Bond dynamic is part of the fun of the films, M should not be funnier than Bond, M should make Bond look like an cheeky schoolboy in contrast to his or her own reactionary ways.

Dench's M was not Lee's M, but did retain that dynamic, even with Mr Grumpy as Bond

I'm not familiar with this comedian you're all talking about. But I am reminded of when Catherine Tate was cast as Doctor Who's new Companion, the internet panicked and assumed the show would degenerate into farce. In fact the Donna Noble episodes ended up being the most emotionally wrenching of all, not at all what people expected from the actress.

on the other hand John Cleese was not a very good Q, and Q is supposed to be funny.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

It could also be a bunch of baseless nonsense that has taken on a life of its own....but that never happens on the 'net🤣.

• Word14Word14 Posts: 3MI6 Agent

I would love to see Colin salmon return as M.

His character Charles Robinson from the Brosnan era is one of my favourite MI6 cast ever.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent

Colin Salmon is good, but I'd rather see Idris Elba as M. I prefer him as an actor, but also because Salmon played Robinson. There's nothing wrong with Charles Robinson, but if Salmon is cast as M many will think it's Robinson who's been promoted to M. After Bond's death in NTTD this will easily lead to the cursed code name theory.

• SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 407MI6 Agent
    edited July 2023

He was absolutely excellent ! It's a shame Salmon's character is named Robinson. He would have been a wonderful Bill Tanner. I hope the next Tanner (if they decide to bring him back ) will be like Robinson in terms of charisma and personality, because when I see Rory Kinnear's performance, I think he portrays a man who has nothing in common with Fleming's character. At least, Michael Kitchen was funny !

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

I must be honest and say I've never quite loved Salmon in the things I've seen him in. There's something about his delivery, his words seem awkward in his mouth like he's putting an accent on, it's hard to explain. I don't find him very convincing. Kitchen on the other hand, is pure charisma. He'd have made for a wonderful M himself, but he's in his mid 70s now and might not be up for it.

I liked all the other actors in Craig's MI6 regulars, but no-one saw Kinnair's Tanner as James Bond's best friend in the service. I too think Michael Kitchen's Tanner was far better.

Hadn't considered that but a true point, continuity could get confused

The Robinson character was basically Tanner, but then once Salmon and Kitchen appeared together in TWINE it all got a bit confusing!

I think Tanner will return for Bond 26 considering the larger role he's been given recently

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent

Would love to see Salmon as M, but it might look like they're pretending the Craig era didn't exist in favour of continuing on from the 'classic' era. Interestingly, Robinson didn't appear in the TND novelization, with Tanner taking over his role, IIRC.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff

That's because the script Raymond Benson was working from had Tanner written in. Robinson was a later amendment when Michael Kitchen proved unavailable.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent

And then funnily enough Tanner was basically Moneypenny in QoS, and then they appeared together in the next movie!

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,157MI6 Agent
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • IndyRSIndyRS Posts: 17MI6 Agent

I'd love for Taron Egerton to be in the films recurring. He probably wouldn't be fit for a villain, but I think he'd make a good Q of an ally of sorts.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    edited August 2023

Late to this thread, but I really like the idea of Elba playing M. I know it won't happen. But there's not only a fittingness to it after all the stupid speculation about Idris playing Bond. There would also be an interesting new dynamic if M is convincing as a former 00 who survived his time in the field and knows the ropes firsthand. Of course Eon would then feel obliged to give him a few action scenes (there would be worse things IMHO). And I suppose you'd get lots of people in the audience making comparisons and saying, "Why isn't he playing Bond?" But the concept of M as a former agent still appeals to me in how it would change his relationship with 007.

In my opinion Elba is good at conveying authority too.

Is it a good idea to give M (Idris Elba) a lump or even place him in a wheelchair to make the Bond/M comparisons too obvious? M could've gotten the injury on active duty, but then had to switch to administrative work in London.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Jasmin Jobson would make a great Moneypenny

She's probably at a more practical level of fame than the actresses I've suggested.

• CarsonDyleCarsonDyle AustraliaPosts: 153MI6 Agent

M: Hannah Waddingham / Tom Hollander

Q: Peter Dinklage / David Walliams

Moneypenny: Phoebe Waller-Bridge

Tanner: Jack Davenport

Felix: John Cho

Blofeld: Mark Strong

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited October 2023

How about Jonny Lee Miller for M (keep it in the family). Miller is 50 now and I just saw him play an Army Colonel in "The Covenant" with the moustache and thinning gray hair he looked like he could be a convincing M (starting to look more like his grandfather). If not M, Miller would probably make a good "Tanner" or Tanner type character.

Jonny Lee Miller is a good suggestion.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Nicole Kidman or Cate Blanchett for M