No Time To Die Navy Cap identification

Comments

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

I actually appreciate @MrE letting us know that he had a good idea of what it could be earlier on. Just some respectful constructive criticism, maybe throw out the brand next time even if just a hunch. I understand not wanting to be wrong but it’s a little different with this item vs an N peal or A&S henley.

And for all those that bought the wrong cap and are now having to reverse mortgage your house, the Bond community stands with you.

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Credit where it’s due, I also think Mattia has been prolific at identifying various items and then disclosing the information without any issues.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Double0zeroDouble0zero Los AngelesPosts: 220MI6 Agent

Honestly …

this will be just another easy pass for me just like the shorts.

instead of getting stuff with prints on them and having to remove them , why not get something that is already plain ?

last summer Orlebar Brown had almost identical hat and shorts. They were much better quality and already plain.

I respect those who will get it for screen accuracy. But I would never wear these.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

"instead of getting stuff with prints on them and having to remove them, why not get something that is already plain?"

I think part of the fun for some is the way this part of the hobby dovetails with prop recreation. Recreating something to be the way it's seen on screen is just as valid a hobby as the rest of the frivolous pursuits on these boards. And when it's a $16 hat or a $20 pair of gym shorts that need to be customized, it's even more harmless.

Right, and how much was the OB cap? I’m guessing more than $16.

• JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent

Getting plain stuff without prints would be good advice for the filmmakers. Not just to make life easier for collectors, but also it seems to be sensible, as opposed to all the altering that goes on. It's difficult to see why, given all the plain navy swimming shorts that are available, the filmmakers buy a pair of shorts, replace the drawstring with a different colour and iron off the logo. The navy cap is another example; it's not as if plain caps are hard to come by.

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

@Cg23 Thanks for the kind words. And I really do appreciate that some of you enjoy what I do. But the truth is I SUCK at identifying things! 🤣 In all the years I've been into Bond style, I think I've been able to ID two pieces before they were "common knowledge": The NTTD Croakies and the Anderson and Sheppard Henley (and even with that I got the color wrong!). Most of the time I'm deep in the trenches with you gentlemen, trying to figure things out based on blurry screenshots and, more often than not, missing key details (like the stupid patch on the N&F jeans, which I should have been able to ID in a second because I've actually owned a couple of pairs of N&F jeans for years!). Remember, I'm the guy that was absolutely, 100% positive that the ballcap didn't have holes along the crown. 😂

The true credit belongs to guys like @Mattia De Varti who is a genius when it comes to this work. The reality is I just sift through all the info out there provided by the experts and try to bring it all together in one place. And hopefully give credit to the right people along the way and create something helpful.

Having been a member of this community for over 16 years, I (and I'm sure many other old timers) have seen what's happening now many times before. And I do think that in the past, folks were a little more open with sharing information about their discoveries. Personally, I saw a real shift in some attitudes around the time of SPECTRE.

But it makes sense if we think about it: social media was really starting to peak; brands were finally recognizing the value of working with influencers who could reach target markets directly; the commercial value of being associated with Bond was proven once again with the way Skyfall revitalized Barbour and Crockett & Jones, helped launch OB, sparked new interest in N.Peal, etc. So of course brands wanted to start formalizing relationships to make sure their products were well represented in preparation for SPECTRE. And our "stars" of the Bond community were gaining solid followings on social media as they reached new fans and some of them saw the potential in it. I don't fault them for one second for wanting to reap the rewards of their years of hard work (which has frequently benefitted many of us here in the past), when they operated in the relative obscurity of a few Bond fan forums and websites. Even if it means some brands now attach conditions to those relationships that prevent us from getting the info we want as soon as we'd like.

I think those of us who have been around here for a while share a similar philosophy about researching and investigating products from the film: it's more fun when it's a team sport and it's okay to share guesses. No one's going to cry foul if your guess turned out to be wrong, as long as you were clear it was just a guess. If you know what something is, share that knowledge. If you know what something is but can't reveal it or don't want to reveal it, then keep it to yourself. Avoid posting anything that can be interpreted as, "I know what X is. But I'm not telling!" It's really not complicated.

Sorry for the essay, guess I was in a philosophical mood this morning 😁

Cheers!

John

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent

I imagine the costume department team like a challenge and enjoy the mods!!!!!

Instagram - bondclothes007
  • YoannDILUZIOYoannDILUZIO Posts: 5MI6 Agent

👌👏👏👏👏🤝

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

What John said.

However, there is an extra layer. As can be gleaned from some posts, there are members with friends or sources on the production team or clothing suppliers. These members can't publicly reveal any information until the movie is released, if even then. Perhaps they've shared this inside info with long time trusted friends, perhaps not. They are under no obligation to share anything and no one here is entitled to anything.

I've also seen some members with inside info get upset when someone else independently identifies an item and publicizes it, setting of the mad scramble for the item. These members also were wrongly entitled regarding what they thought of as their, and only their, information.

• Lee JohnLee John Beautiful British Columbia Posts: 90MI6 Agent

The Carhartt hat is actually decent quality, they last forever. Paying over 40$ doesn’t make a ton of sense to me but hey, I’m a “you do you” type of guy.

• JDJD Posts: 27MI6 Agent

Has anyone had any luck picking out the 'Carharrt' logo on the back strap to remove entirely?

I'm about one step away from buying another hat to get material to have a blank back strap but I do realise this may actually be crazy!

• MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent

Having grown up in the south and done seasonal jobs on farms growing up for extra money... (and being a Bond clothing collector) I can assuredly say you will get much more life out of a Carhartt piece than an OB piece.. and trust me I have plenty of OB pieces in my closet (albeit mostly picked up from places like Poshmark or therealreal.com I just don't like paying retail if I don't have to... point being.. the Carhartt stuff is bombproof.. I live in my coveralls when doing work outside in winter... and their jackets are excellent insulation and like a skin of armor..

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

I'm leaving the Carhartt in gold in the back. It's subtle, I like the brand, and from what I've seen here, I think it looks better than the Sharpie-fied versions.

I’m even leaving the Carhartt logo at the front, I have no reason to remove it like the production team did, for whatever reason that was.

Begs the question then, why bother buying a SA cap if I’m not going the extra lengths to make it SA…damned if I know!

• 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent

As I understand it the Cahartt model at the time was the Odessa . On the Caharrt site the canvas cap is described as being previously known as the Odessa.

I’m waiting on one. I’ve bought another caharrt cap in navy which I propose to get a seamstress to use to cover the logo.

still cheaper than a Burberry.

Anthony
  • CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

Just ordered one (thanks MikeG77). I may even leave on the patch.

While we're on the subject, I've gotta chip in for canoe2. As a latecomer to the Bond clothing game, I didn't know where to start. Well, John has found solutions for me time and time again. New IA posts truly are a highlight of my social media time. Kudos for your continued hard work, John and my wallet hates you. 😆

I edit, therefore I am.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,771MI6 Agent
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2022

I want to put this out there to correct some previous statements of mine...

Mr. Zaritsky is a quality gentleman and the only reason he withholds any information about product knowledge is when someone has asked him to which I find much more admirable (keeping his word) then running off at the mouth. There was a lot of frustration over the lack of information and a lot of confusion over items from No Time To Die, I pointed that out and how a lot of people possibly have the inside scoop on these matters, but I did not intend to single him out, didn't mean it like it sounded. I'm not kissing any butts here, I'm not even planning on staying on this forum. I'm just doing what I feel is right.

Mr. Zaritsky, consider this my official apology. Thanks for all your contributions.

• Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 460MI6 Agent
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

There seems to have been several sock puppet accounts made by a person on this thread, and in the tactical bag thread too now. I have no idea what their agenda is. It’s just bizarre behaviour whether benign or not. Said person seems to be pushing Flyye as the screen used bag. All these sock puppet accounts have one thing in common. They say they have evidence from the supplier or have the product code of said item used. Then they disappear from the discussion when questioned or go on the defensive when you question the incorrect information presented. Some of these accounts have now been deleted due to them sharing the same IP address. No doubt there are other accounts that haven’t been identified yet.

Incidentally, looking at this cap thread, the same thing seems to have gone on here too, but it’s not so prolific as other threads. The posts still exist, but some of the user accounts have been deleted. A lot of the accounts will show up as ‘deleted user’ on other threads too. So if you are unaware, and have relied on information given by these users. Please check. A few of these sock puppet accounts have caused major dissent on TF group buy threads and trouble and arguments on many other discussions going back six years or so.

Weird people about folks. Beware.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent

How sad - judging by the amount of deleted users it looks like he setup quite a few!

Some people need to get a life!

Instagram - bondclothes007
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent

Explains the recent plethora of seemingly newish members with antogonistic, aggressive and negative views...

Strange and sad behaviour. Reason why, we may never know. Good riddance.

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.

Some of the accounts are over six years old. So not just new members. The main account is still active and there’s no telling if there are others we haven’t rumbled yet.

“All these sock puppet accounts have one thing in common. They say they have evidence from the supplier or have the product code of said item used. Then they disappear from the discussion when questioned or go on the defensive when you question the incorrect information presented”.

Hmmmm🤔, I wonder who that be…

• CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent

As I've mentioned to Asp, some people have way too much time on their hands and apparently not enough mental health care.

I edit, therefore I am.
  • 007Downunder007Downunder Hobart, Australia Posts: 373MI6 Agent

Hi if I’m being slow apologies . Does this mean the cap identification still not certain? Noting that James Bond lifestyle and David Z confirmed it.

Anthony

@007Downunder The cap identified is the correct one. But if you go back through this thread, they say it isn’t and that they have the correct code. Then they disappear when asked what it is. That was BS just because they were called out for creating this whole thread and not having a clue what the actual cap was. It is the Carhartt.