Who will be the director of Bond26?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,785MI6 Agent

Calvin Dyson is doing a live chat right now and he had a good point (but probably fairly obvious) point about Christopher Nolan: if a new movie (that isn't Bond) pops up on his IMDB page after "Oppenheimer", he won't do Bond26.

A director I haven't heard of before is being discussed in The other Place. Mark Mylod is a British director and producer. He started out in comedies, but in recent years he has directed more serious and big-budget TV productions like GoT and Succession. In fact most of his career has been in TV. Mylod has only made four movies (2002, 2005, 2011, 2022), all some sort of comedy. "Ali G in d house" was rather successful, the next two weren't. Then he made the dark comedy/horror/thriller The Menu, a critical success starring Ralph Fiennes. I haven't seen it yet. My take on Myloud is that sounds interesting, but his experience in movies sounds too thin. Directing GoT has a huge budget and locations in several countries, so shows like that are relevant. The obvious comparison is Fukunaga with some experience from TV, but he had made three good movies when he was hired to make NTTD. Any opinions?

edited June 2023

Honest trailers: Every Christopher Nolan movie. 😀

What does this mean? It means if Nolan makes a Bond movie 007 will wear a tan suit as he dreams of his drowned wife in a runaway train that the villain screams he just bought. Bond will be in bed with a beautiful woman wearing a mask who's secretly a traitor as the train is approaching a snowy villain's lair. In the dream Bond has a flashback to the PTS where Bond is a vigiliante. Don't worry, the dreams follow a strict list of rules. Everyone is coldly discussing the emotional meaning of those dreams, except Micheal Caine who is on the verge of tearing up. It will be amazing!

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Nolan is the last guy I'd want directing Bond - we've already had intimation Nolan since Skyfall. I want a new flavour.

• k5211k5211 UKPosts: 164MI6 Agent
    edited July 2023

I spotted this AI take on potential Bond directors, its pretty accurate and very cool. All props to ( I think) the designer Thanarat Tainarong

here's the link to his Facebook post https://www.facebook.com/groups/officialmidjourney/permalink/606819881609580/

Sneak peek of the James Cameron

edited July 2023

Nearly brilliant! 😂

It looks like Scorsese filmed Bond in Norway, so my vote goes to him!

I think Michael Bay's entry lacks a dozen American flags and a supermodel in white clothes.

edited July 2023

I see Christopher Nolan has been asked about Bond in an interview again. This is from the "Happy sad confused" podcast. Obviously he'd love to do it. I also feel this is the moment he's been waiting for. He said years ago that he would only do Bond if he gets to introduce a new James Bond, and a new Bond is being introduced to the audience in more than one sense in Bond26. Nolan also said he won't do work on any new movie until the strike is over, and I guess that's the honorable thing to be. Nolan also confirms the assumption that he'll want a lot of say in writing, casting etc.

Calvin Dyson on the possibility and spositives and negatives of Christopher Nolan directing James Bond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNaMt_Hdp6M

edited July 2023

In a podcast for Total Film Greta Gerwig is asked about the possibility of directing a Bond movie: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/greta-gerwig-cillian-murphy-christopher-nolan-barbie/id1477057257?i=1000621751538

"Oh my God. No, we’re going to just stick with some lions [and] some dolls for the moment. But you never know. I really like Barbara Broccoli [007 Producer], so…"

Thinking of her current Barbie movie this sounds silly, but please keep in mind that Gerwig also wrote "Lady bird" and "Little women". she didn't bring it up herself and she didn't seem too enthusiastic. Does the idea sound silly to you?

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent
    edited July 2023

This isn't a directors question, but I'll post here anyway. Are Purvis and Wade members of Writers Guild of America (WGA)? I ask because the members of WGA are on strike, of course. If they're members of the British writers union this can work in favor of Bond26 since P & W can write during the strike while while the writers for most big movies can't. I'll ad Phobe Waller-Bridge to the question since I hope she'll return to write more Bond movies.

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    edited July 2023

I believe yes, they are on strike. Recall that the last WGA strike got us Daniel Craig and Marc Forster writing large swathes of QoS.

Maybe. As I understand it P& W write the basic structure of the script, then other writers flesh it out. Could be it was those writers who were on strike? But that sounds unlikely since if that was the case, P & W would've finished the script.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,932MI6 Agent

miles messervy said:

. Recall that the last WGA strike got us Daniel Craig and Marc Forster writing large swathes of QoS

is this true? never heard that before, but after No Time to Die's surprise ending, nothing would surprise me. He wasnt credited for that one either though, and I think that ending was a "suggestion" (aka condition of returning) rather than him typing out a script. In that group interview with Fukanaga n Babs n Mikey, he does discuss raw ideas they all threw around (bad oyster) before deciding on one to be filmed, so I guess thats sort of writing.

what would be these bits of quantum Craig allegedly wrote? or suggested, lets say?

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,278Chief of Staff
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,932MI6 Agent

thanks boss, never knew that

heres the relevant bit...

Craig wrote most of the movie with Marc Forster, and he seems like his own biggest critic, stating, "There was me trying to rewrite scenes – and a writer I am not. Me and Mark Forster were the ones allowed to do it. The rules were that you couldn’t employ anyone as a writer, but the actor and director could work on scenes together. We were stuffed." (via NME). The writer and director didn't just make small changes, but the movie is drastically different from Haggis' script

...then offers M's death and Mr White's death as examples of what got rewritten. so yeh, sounds like "huge swaths"

still, I got more issues with the editing of that film than the script

edited July 2023

Maybe there was an editors' strike we didn't know about and the cook was the only one who was legally allowed to cut the movie? 😁

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent

I agree! The editing is far worse than the writing, IMO. It’s not the world’s best screenplay by any stretch, but it at least tells a tight story and doesn’t drag on for an hour too long. That said, it *probably* would have turned out better if real writers had handled the re-writes.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,543MI6 Agent

A-hem, I refer those in this discussion and its QoS preferences to my QoS "Expanded" script, where I fill plot holes and add a further "40 minutes" to create a more complete story, that links back to CR as QoS is a direct sequel. Download it here: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/53067/download-my-quantum-of-solace-2020-expanded-script-here#latest

As for who will be the Bond26 director, I think as Universal has the distribution rights for Bond26 and Oppenheimer was a Universal movie and Nolan has made a biopic about, for most people, an obscure scientist, and it made almost $800 million, I find it hard to believe that Universal isn't lobbying EON very hard for Nolan.

In his video, Calvin Dyson makes a good point about Nolan previously saying he would want to do it at a time when Bond was being reinvented, and BB and MGW have used that exact word.

I've seen people suggest a Nolan Bond trilogy, but Warner Bros have distribution rights to Bond after Bond26 and Nolan did quit that studio for Universal after some disagreements so would that be a spanner in the works for a trilogy?

Comments above have pointed out some issues with people being so enthusiastic for Nolan and also wanting a Roger Moore style fun Bond.

Nolan also has the problem that his films are very cerebral and Bond films do have a level of, shall we say, sensuality, that are, bar maybe Oppenheimer, completely lacking from Nolan's films.

I think BB and MGW see sensuality as a key part of the Bond genre and having Nolan work with Purvis & Wade can solve that problem. Other than Inception, I think Nolan's best films have included other writers, at a minimum his brother Jonathan and but also the Batman movies had David Goyer and others involved. So, my Nolan Bond film dream team would be the Nolan brothers and Purvis & Wade.

I also wonder if we'll get Zimmer again for the music as he has written so often for Nolan, who clearly does see how important the soundtrack is with his experiments with the Shepherd tone in Dunkirk for example.

I'd prefer it if we didn't have Zimmer, he just seems too wedded to his electronic music and Bond movies should have a more conventional soundtrack IMHO. I can imagine Nolan not wanting David Arnold because of his close association with two previous Bonds.

I think Ludwig Göransson must be in for a good chance as composer as he composed Nolan's last two films and he has a very broad range of movie soundtracks under his belt. I think he could be persuaded to try his take on the Bond/Barry sound.

I understand Edgar Wright's POV about serious Bond, fun Bond, but I think money talks and Universal and EON's investors are going to be salivating over an $800+ million Nolan Bond movie.

Here's hoping for a Nolan Bond movie announcement as soon as the WGA/SAG strike is over, which I hear may not be until the start of 2024.

Martin Campbell speaks on Bond26 to be "Bond reboot".

I would have had Campbell as one of my top choices for Bond26 before the box office juggernaut of Oppenheimer arrived, GE and CR are so great, but now I'll be stunned if Nolan does not do Bond26.

edited September 2023

Matthew Vaughn and not Nolan for Bond26 says Grace Randolph. Shocker!

Very surprising considering this from July on MI-hq.com.

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/director-matthew-vaughn-explains-why-he-may-be-ruled-out-230727

His new film Argyle, a spy movie with Henry Calvill is out next February, so a trailer should drop soon.

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Imagine a Bond film redefined by the visionary directors behind "Free Solo" and "The Rescue." The prospect is tantalizing, for their backgrounds in sports and their unparalleled ability to capture heart-pounding action on screen would elevate the iconic spy franchise to new heights. Jimmy Chin, the director of "Free Solo," is not only an accomplished mountaineer and climber himself but also a masterful storyteller who can bring the adrenaline-fueled world of Bond to life with gripping authenticity. With "The Rescue" director Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, we find someone who has a knack for portraying daring rescues and high-stakes missions, mirroring the intense action sequences Bond fans crave. Their combined talent would infuse Bond's world with breathtaking stunts and a deeper understanding of the physical and mental prowess required in high-stakes situations. Together, they'd create a Bond film that's not only pulse-pounding but also intellectually stimulating, providing a fresh take on a beloved cinematic icon. It's time for Bond to meet the edge-of-your-seat excitement and captivating narratives that Chin and Vasarhelyi bring to the table, making for a Bond film like no other.

Perhaps as assistant director working on that type of scenes? Like Willy Bogner on some ski scenes?

They are Academy Award winners for their documentary and have directed a narrative feature with Nyad which is getting Oscar buzz this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3anCgVSQb3Q

Framing a beautiful shot while hanging from a cliff is difficult and impressive, but it doesn't qualify you for directing actors in an emotional scene.

The Safdie brothers would nail a Bond reboot

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

It's legitimately surprising to me how Bond fans, after I belive three or more films now, keep falling for the Nolan rumors.