Who will be the director of Bond26?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited October 2023

Christopher Nolan is one of the most famous and accomplished directors working in the action genere today. He's British and and he's a huge Bond fan too. Why would rumours about Nolan directing Bond surprise anyone?

• LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 249MI6 Agent

Jeff Sneider reports in his newsletter that Edward Berger had been rumored to be among a handful of directors under consideration for the next James Bond movie, but opted to direct Jason Bourne instead...

https://www.theinsneider.com/p/bikeriders-new-path-2024-lex-luthor-nicholas-hoult-jason-bourne-returns

• Bentley007Bentley007 Posts: 2MI6 Agent

So its possible that the list has at least been cut down or possible a Director has been contacted. I cant imagine you would forgo doing a Bond film with a new actor for a redo of Jason Bourne and having to handle the history of Matt Damons version.

Mark O'Connell tweeted about Emerald Fennell as someone who could be a good candidate for the future of Bond and I completely agree. Promising Young Woman was a really interesting film.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff

That won’t make a difference…be two years before they need a director 🤣

YNWA 97

I'm going to watch "Napoleon" directed by Ridley Scott this weekend. I think Scott would be a a great Bond director. In some paralell universe there's a version of LTK directed by him that I want to see. Scott is ... not lacking in self confidence and would probably want a lot of say in making a Bond movie, but I think it's worth it.

• HarryCanyonHarryCanyon Posts: 198MI6 Agent

Near as I can tell, he doesn't have anything in development after GLADIATOR 2 wraps. That's unusual as he typically has 3 projects lined up at any given time. Maybe he could have the bandwidth to crank out a Bond film.

Scott has made historical epics, Sci-fi, crime fiction and other generes, but he's never made a spy action/adventure movie. Perhaps it's about time?

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

It would be interesting who Scott would want to cast as Bond. EON's preference notwithstanding, my guess is Scott's choice would be Michael Fassbender. Scott has worked with Fassbender in a couple previous films. Fassbender has always been a personal choice of mine for Bond but unfortunately he's a bit too old at 46 and expensive for EON. From a physical looks and type standpoint, Fassbender might be closest thing to Fleming's Bond. IMO, the best Bond to never get to be Bond.

Not too far back many hoped we'd get something, preferably the game of the director, by the end of this year. Unless EON are planning a Christmas gift to news-hungry Bond fans this won't happen. Now I'm thinking we have to get some real news next year if EON is to be taken seriously as a movie producing company.

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

2024: "We're still celebrating the wonderful tenure of Daniel, the best Bond of all, and have no plans for their to be any other James Bond for the foreseeable future. We are very tired, thank you for understanding. P.S. Please visit the 007 Store and buy some £700 underpants signed by Daniel"

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

I think they'll be fine regardless of what we think 😂

They also don't tend to time their announcements to holidays and such. (I feel like we have goldfish memories about this, but it wasn't THAT long ago we were in here with people seriously saying "I have inside info that they're announcing the title as GENOMA OF A WOMAN on James Bond Day" like a week before they announced the NTTD title.)

Always important to remember that "we fans don't know anything" ≠ "nothing is happening." It's fun to speculate but never forget that, in general, fans aren't kept abreast of the actual work. Eon can say nothing or even outright lie for three years; the box office will not be affected by impatient longtime fans.

In fact - and this is nothing that anyone in here wants to hear - one could argue that a wider gap between films might be part of a long-game strategy in making sure the next Bond is aimed squarely at the NEXT generation, as opposed to simply being perceived as the next course served to the current fanbase. If there's enough of a reset via content and time, there won't be the feeling amongst Zoomers that this is their dad's franchise which - alas for older fans - is the smart play to keeping the franchise going for ten or twenty more years.

edited November 2023

Obviously EON won't do anything because someone in a fan forum thinks they should, but having those opinions ia sort of our "job". I've been saying what you're saying about EON probably doing something in secret while they claim to do nothing for some time now, so we agree there.

I don't think EON is waiting for a new "generation". I don't think the series has that much time, not while Marvel is churning out movies and Tom Cruise is making as many MI movies he possibly can before his age is catching up with him.

Could be, but Marvel is certainly demonstrating something about supply and demand at the moment.

My "generational reset" theory is just a theory, of course, but economically speaking, Eon isn't some big studio with massive overhead that needs to float a whole fleet on the rising tide of one franchise. They're a relatively small outfit that can afford to take their time. So why wouldn't they?

And as I've pointed out before, their new partner Amazon makes 1.29 billion dollars per day. In other words, the biggest Bond hit in the world is just an average fiscal day for them. They'd love to have more Bond product, I'm sure, but they're not panicking either.

It's in both partners' interests to make the return of Bond a true event, and sadly for us that means, in all likelihood, a sizable incubation period.

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent

What was the last big box office hit Marvel had?

My take is that we may very well get good and/or successful Marvel movies in the future, but they won't dominate cinema like they've done for some years.

I think you misunderstood my point. There is certainly a case of Marvel fatigue happening at the moment, a result of endless content spewing out of the pipeline.

Funnily enough, both that issue (and how it relates to Bond) are mentioned by Edgar Wright in this interview that went up shortly after my post.

The director referenced the James Bond franchise as an exception. There are currently no 007 movies on the release calendar as Eon Productions takes its time to figure out where to take the franchise next following Daniel Craig’s last Bond movie, 2021’s “No Time to Die.” A new Bond will eventually be announced, but there’s no rush to do so.

“They’re pretty smart actually because they’re willing to kind of put a pause on things to build anticipation. They are the exception,” Wright said. “They are smart enough to put the brakes on and build anticipation so you’ll be excited for the next one. I think one of the problems now is that I wish some films and series that people would understand it’s ok to take a break and build anticipation.”

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent

I usually argue for a return to the 2 year schedule, but I gotta concede they may have a point.

certainly it worked with Goldeneye, even if that wasnt their intention. anecdotally I'd given up after Octopussy, missed three BondFilms in a row completely, yet when the series was revived after a long gap I was excited enough to go see the new film in the theatre and became hooked all over again. If goldeneye had come out two years after License to Kill, whether it starred Dalton or Brosnan, I probably wouldve skipped it too, it wouldve been easier to ignore.

what was the last Marvel hit? well the last several have gotten weak reviews and I havent seen much discussion of any of them. The last ones I saw were SpiderMan vs Mysterio and Black Widow, which both came out shortly after EndGame. I think there was a built-in flaw with their longterm plan: as long as the first twenty films were building to a larger end they kept audiences interested. Once that culminated with EndGame they were back to smallerscale standalone films and trying to start new franchises with obscure C-list characters. The Marvel Age of Cinema may be over.

• SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,544MI6 Agent

It's a bit of stale news now but I don't see anyone posting it here, it seems Matthew Vaughn might not be available for a while for Bond as he has been talking to James Gunn about the new DC universe movie.

https://screenrant.com/dc-movie-rumors-matthew-vaughn-james-gunn/

The momentum for Nolan to become the Bond26 director must have been given a boost with Oppenheimer's Golden Globe wins last night.

The Globe's are seen as indicators of strong Oscar contenders and Oppenheimer won key categories in the Globes, Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor.

Oppenheimer was distributed by Universal which also has the rights to distribute Bond26. If Oppenheimer does equally well with the Oscars I can imagine the Universal, and Amazon (owners of MGM), executives hammering on EON's boardroom table for Nolan.

Oddly, Warner Bros has the rights to distribute Bond27 and the rumour is that that studio will be up for sale, and Universal has been named as a possible buyer.

The acquisition of Warner Bros by Universal would further strengthen the pro-Nolan executives' argument as there would be a greater potential for a Nolan Bond trilogy. Can you imagine the positive impact on the Universal share price from an announcement of a Nolan Bond trilogy?!

As MGW is expected to be retired from EON by Bond26 and BB seems to be more interested in other projects these days, I wonder if Nolan will get to film "his Bond" but within constraints. I can imagine EON still saying, 'OK, it's yours, but within this framework, no Tenet time travel BS'.

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent

What other projects is Ms Broccoli working on?

edited January 8

Weirdly, a Gerard Butler thriller called 'Remote Control'.

The screenplay writer is Mark Burnell who wrote The Rhythm Section so I don't hold out much hope for it.

BB was an executive producer on '007: Road to a million' which has a second season in the works with filming planned for 2024.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/007s-road-to-a-million-james-bond-amazon-mgm-season-2-brian-cox-1235722105/

edited January 8

They're only exec producing both of those so I don't think they're very hands-on. Especially not with the TV show, which is a Gregg Wilson project. Remote Control has been going for three years, I don't think it's a main priority.

It was announced in 2020 but obviously we had the pandemic. On Butler's IMDB page it is listed as "pre-production".

Executive Producers organise financing and top tier casting.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-an-executive-producer-whats-the-difference-between-an-executive-producer-and-producer#7taSIOu07sD7vkybkR4SGX

edited January 8

Exec producers can be hands on or very hands-off: the meaning tends to vary depending on who it is and what the production is. George Lucas was credited as an exec producer on the latest Indiana Jones film for example: you really think he was organising financing?

Basically what I'm saying is that the idea that Ms Broccoli is 'more interested in' and completely tied up on a TV project which Gregg is making rather than herself, and a film which she's only exec producing and not much seems to be happening with is a little bit of a stretch.

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

I worked with a Greek woman once who was the company's area secretary - on her CV she had Executive Film Producer and I asked her what she did. "You don't do much," she said, "just spend time squeezing flesh for funding."

I get the impression the title can mean anything from a full time job to a movie star who wants the title for prestige and to get the power to chose his co-star.

Yes indeed. I’m pretty sure I’ve even seen dead people get the credit! 😄

Squeezing flesh for funding sounds quite the commitment to me. ;-)

edited January 10

Squeezing flesh? I can't be sure, but I very much doubt this is the job ....