Coronavirus

Comments

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Tom Moore, 100 year old veteran and anti-corona symbol, is now infected by the pandemic himself. I wish him a swift recovery.

He was being treated for pneumonia so has been unable to have the vaccine.

Everyone is keeping their fingers crossed for him.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited January 2021
    Lady Rose wrote:

I see he is also putting off a third lockdown in France. He should at least learn from us that delaying lockdowns only leads to more deaths.

Lady Rose - with all due respect:

The UK are not in a position to lecture other countries about how and when to do lockdowns.
    You have the highest numbers all over Europe, Johnson denied the dangers from the virus for months and delayed lockdowns as long as he could.
    Let‘s just remember how long the UK went with herd immunity and Johnson emphasizing everyone‘s right to visit a pub 8-)

Just as an info: France has curfews from 18:00 for weeks now.

This „Anti UK Vaccination“ crap is just used to initiate another Anti-EU rant and deflect from the horrible management of the Covid crisis in the UK!

As for John Bell, I am well aware who he is - but if he said what Politico has been reporting from him, he should get his mental sanity checked for putting out his pathetic and hilarious „demand theory“
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I see he is also putting off a third lockdown in France. He should at least learn from us that delaying lockdowns only leads to more deaths.

He should take a lesson from Down Under. Perth, the capital of the state of Western Australia, yesterday implemented a five day, city-wide, lockdown because one person tested positive.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    Britain seems to be an exeption to the rule that island nations (NZ, Taiwan, Australia, Japan, Iceland) seem to be doing well in this pandemic.
    JTM wrote:

He should take a lesson from Down Under. Perth, the capital of the state of Western Australia, yesterday implemented a five day, city-wide, lockdown because one person tested positive.

Absolutely! {[] {[]
    And not only him - may I say.
    Leaders and citizens can learn a lot from you guys {[] {[]

Number24 wrote:
    Britain seems to be an exeption to the rule that island nations (NZ, Taiwan, Australia, Japan, Iceland) seem to be doing well in this pandemic.

It's been a disgrace. We should have been able to contain Covid a hell of a lot better than we have. We should have closed the boarders until we had proper quarantine systems in place. I think the Australians have it spot on with their 2 week quarantine in a hotel, which you pay for. It really does stop all unnecessary travel. To put yourself through that and at that cost you really must need to get there.

We have one of the worst death tolls in the world and it could have been avoided. The delays over lockdown being a huge factor. Over 100,000 dead. It makes me so angry.

There is a little island here called Isle of Man. They have been able to end all covid restrictions including social distancing.

I was reading an article today that said the EU had invested heavily in one of France's pharmaceutical companies to create a vaccine and they haven't been able to deliver one. Another reason for Macron to throw shade at AZ.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Tom Moore, 100 year old veteran and anti-corona symbol, is now infected by the pandemic himself. I wish him a swift recovery.

Now this is an odd story. Because you'd think he'd be in the bracket to be vaccinated weeks ago. He's 100 for crying out loud! So how come he's got Covid? He lives in Bedfordshire - was the roll-out slow there? Can we take it he hasn't been vaccinated? Or did it sneak through anyway because tbf it's not 100 per cent effective.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Higgins wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

Lady Rose - with all due respect:

The UK are not in a position to lecture other countries about how and when to do lockdowns.
    You have the highest numbers all over Europe, Johnson denied the dangers from the virus for months and delayed lockdowns as long as he could.
    Let‘s just remember how long the UK went with herd immunity and Johnson emphasizing everyone‘s right to visit a pub 8-)

Just as an info: France has curfews from 18:00 for weeks now.

This „Anti UK Vaccination“ crap is just used to initiate another Anti-EU rant and deflect from the horrible management of the Covid crisis in the UK!

As for John Bell, I am well aware who he is - but if he said what Politico has been reporting from him, he should get his mental sanity checked for putting out his pathetic and hilarious „demand theory“

With all due respect Higgins 8-)

I'm well aware of the UK failings. I'm saying that as a country who have handled the virus very badly and that France and many others can learn from our mistakes. We have dithered many times over lockdowns and each time it has cost us dear. Lockdown at the moment seem to be only thing that brings down the R number. Curfews and the rest are a waste of time as far as I can see. The virus doesn't come out at 1800hrs. If they have had curfews from 1800hrs for weeks now, they don't seem to be having any effect as there seems to be a need and thoughts of another lockdown being necessary.

You post to me as if I am a fan of Johnson and his handling of the virus. You couldn't be further from the truth and you won't find me defending him but thankfully we do seem to have got the Vaccine rollout correct. We seem to vaccinating over half a million people a day.
    edited February 2021
    The EU has invested 336 Million Euros with Astra Zeneca....

And with a minimum understanding about how a virus is transferred - the main measure is to reduce contacts.
    If a country decides to leave the economy open - most people are working - so limiting contacts after 18:00 makes sense.

While it's true that the virus is still active after 18:00 - it's an oversimplification of a more complex strategy.

And I don't label you anything, I just don't understand why you insist on the Anti-UK Vaccination theory.
    You guys seem to be still obsessed negatively with the EU - you really should get over it soon.

• Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Now this is an odd story. Because you'd think he'd be in the bracket to be vaccinated weeks ago. He's 100 for crying out loud! So how come he's got Covid? He lives in Bedfordshire - was the roll-out slow there? Can we take it he hasn't been vaccinated? Or did it sneak through anyway because tbf it's not 100 per cent effective.

I've only caught a few snippets of the story, however I believe he contracted pneumonia originally upon his return from his holiday abroad & this meant that his vaccination couldn't be administered. It would seem that he has tested positive whilst in hospital care for the initial pneumonia issue. I do however stand to be corrected.

Wishing him a full & speedy recovery!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    I watched the news last night and there was a report from a funeral home in London. They worked twelve hour days, but the "que grew anyway. The owner's grand father is 92 and worked there during the Blitz and he said this is worse.
    Please stay safe.
    Higgins wrote:
    The EU has invested 336 Million Euros with Astra Zeneca....

And with a minimum understanding about how a virus is transferred - the main measure is to reduce contacts.
    If a country decides to leave the economy open - most people are working - so limiting contacts after 18:00 makes sense.

While it's true that the virus is still active after 18:00 - it's an oversimplification of a more complex strategy.

And I don't label you anything, I just don't understand why you insist on the Anti-UK Vaccination theory.
    You guys seem to be still obsessed negatively with the EU - you really should get over it soon.

We've tried curfews and a tiering system but when the R rate gets too high the only thing that really works is a lockdown.

I'm not insisting in an anti uk vaccination theory but the EU's behaviour the past week or so has been outright hostile and counter productive. It culminated with the EU throwing Ireland (one of it own members) under the at the weekend then claiming amongst other things it was a mistake. That is a lie. Someone there authorised triggering Article 16. The EU basically had a massive hissy fit.

Maybe if you took your rose tinted glasses off occasionally and developed some objectivity you may be able to see the the EU has it flaws and on this occasion have messed up quite spectacularly

One thing that has become apparent from this is regardless of all the good intentions of the EU working as one when it comes down to it every country wants to fight for themselves and their political leaders, like Macron, realise that being in the EU won't help him get elected when the time comes. I doubt the French people will tolerate Macron not getting a vaccine, so of course it is in his own interest to deflect blame and spout incorrect information about AZ. I am focusing on Macron because he has been the most vocal.

The contracts have been released and it would appear the AZ are in the right.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    General comment, not aimed at any one person-
    Things appear to have been getting a little heated in this thread. I understand that this is an emotional subject and, as I said in the opening post, the most important thing happening in the world today, but I do ask that we talk in a more general way.

Breaking that very rule, the best laugh in this thread was Higgins saying "If I was sarcastic" a few posts earlier. :D
    edited February 2021
    :D :D

You know that you can always count on me, Barbel

Having said all this, experts here confirm that the EU may be in the right re. the AZ contract, but it won‘t help us getting that confirmed at courts many years later.

I have no problem to admit that the UK rolled out vaccination faster than the EU and I am not happy about the delays that happen.
    And it was not a good idea to consider to block vaccination deliveries to Ireland - no matter what the reasons where for it. I am glad that this has been stopped immediately - but I repeat: Johnson in a similar situation would have blocked all exports in the blink of an eye and many here would have applauded him for doing so and defended him and that decision*

But the accusations and big amateur theories against Macron are just laughable.

* The accusations would be then that the evil EU where not playing fair game and would have robbed everyone else of a vaccine with all their money and power and egoism.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Oh, I absolutely agree with you...it’s the German vaccination committee that were casting doubt.

That is not correct!

Scientists have already complained the lack of data for elderly for quite some time - and it seems that not only the germans are hesitant (at this point - if better data come up - that all may change).

I am hearing today, that Italy only use AZ for <55 years, the French have their concerns, too.

But even if it would be all scaremongering by the „germans“, there is no „Anti-UK vaccine rhetoric“ in the german press like initially accused!
    They are only reporting what is being (controversially) discussed.

And if there was an „Anti-UK Vaccination“ state of mind here, we would not use this vaccine for our people <65 with our essential workers in the medical field at front.

So we can safely put this „Anti-UK“ crap to rest.

Where do I mention anything ’anti-UK’ ? ?:)
    Please don’t accuse me of things I haven’t said...

I just repeated that it was the German vaccination committee that was casting doubt upon using a particular vaccine on the older community...which was something YOU posted first :s

Then you tell me it’s not true...
    Higgins wrote:
    That is not correct!

Then you tell me it is :s
    Higgins wrote:
    Scientists have already complained the lack of data for elderly for quite some time - and it seems that not only the germans are hesitant (at this point - if better data come up - that all may change).

:o
    YNWA 97
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I disagree. While one can't be absolutely sure about the effectiveness and effects of the vaccines, but they're pretty close to sure. Testing was done in reccord time, but not because any part of the testing was skipped. Instead the phases overlapped. Testing on animals was not completly finished before testing on humans begun, but they were completed.

Unfortunately ’they’ are not ‘pretty close to sure’...it’s ‘best guess’ territory...vaccines take years to develop and test, these have taken a few months...coronavirus is mutating all the time and it’s not sure how these vaccines work against the different mutations - although some appear to work better than others...

There is some doubt about the mutations naturally.
    But with the standard virus we're not talking about guessing. The development was quick because so much talent and money was thrown at it. The vaccines went through all the stages of testing, but the process was compressed in time.

You cannot test properly in such a short time...scientists have no idea how effective these jabs are - anything from 33% to 70% (roughly) for the first injection...depending upon which ‘brand’ you get, and this percentage differs with the age of the patient...and they still have no idea how long these vaccines will work for - if that’s not guessing then I don’t know what is? ?:)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

Only the first 2 lines where directed as a direct reply to you:
    Higgins wrote:
    That is not correct!

Then I went a bit more general.

I thought that it was obvious - well - probably not for you :p

Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Only the first 2 lines where directed as a direct reply to you:
    Higgins wrote:
    That is not correct!

Then I went a bit more general.

Then you have my apologies -{
    Higgins wrote:
    I thought that it was obvious - well - probably not for you :p

No, I need things to be spelled out to me now I’m in my old age :o :007)
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

No, I need things to be spelled out to me now I’m in my old age :o :007)

I'll keep that in mind - until I forget - or don't care :D

Russia‘s Sputnik vaccine appears to have an efficiency of >90% - so who wants to get a shot? :v

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00234-8/fulltext

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    It's dispensed via the tip of an umbrella! :# :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    or a shoe ;)

Now seriously, this could be a solution for those countries that can‘t store/pay the other vaccines and went second or third when the rich West robbed the entire market with their multiple orders.

I do hope that there will be independent trials under the surveillance of the WHO or others to check, if it really makes sense.
    The question is just, if there are enough participants that are willing to test it.

And the UK variant of coronavirus has mutated again....
    YNWA 97
    Probably the consequences of the non-existent measures during last summer and fall?

The EU is under massive flak for being later in getting the vaccines compared to the UK and the US.

What has to be kept in mind is, that

1. the US initiated a war act which secured all vaccines and products from the country for the country.
    2. Similar the UK - where the 2 AZ sites are producing for the UK only and additionally the UK is buying from the EU, where vaccines are not only produced for the EU but for the rest of the world - including the UK.

I may sound like a sore loser ( I can take this), but the UK's behavior is a bit like in a hotel on Mallorca:

The Brits stand up early at 6:00 and take all available umbrellas and sunchairs - more than what they really need.
    The EU citizens wake up at 8:00 and realize that most of the sunchairs are gone and the Brits refuse to give some umbrellas to them from their stock because they where too late when the umbrellas where available.

- Now the question is, what we think of that and are they really sore losers?
    - Who is playing fair and who behaves unfair?
    - Who is making unreasonable complaints?
    - How would that change, if the germans are the ones that are cornering all sunchairs in the drawn scenario and the Brits are left unprotected in the sun because they have gotten too late out of their beds?

It's dispensed via the tip of an umbrella! :# :D

The good news is, that it‘s not very likely that Bill Gate‘s influence goes so far into Russia and China - so everyone who fears, that Bill Gates puts small microchips into the vaccine and gets them implanted into our bodies when vaccinating ( yes - many people really believe that exactly this happens....) should be safe with Sputnik and the stuff that comes from China....

Excellent news about the AZ vaccine.

In a new study it is believed it substantially cuts transmission which would be a major breakthrough. Some have described it as 'the Holy Grail'. Also, the one dose for 12 weeks policy is working.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55910964

https://news.sky.com/story/oxford-vaccine-may-have-67-effect-on-transmission-and-protection-remains-for-three-month-jab-interval-12206734

Also 9.6 million people in the UK vaccinated as of yesterday. All the oldies in my family have been done and my hubby had his this morning. (He was given the Pfizer jab) I'm waiting to get the call up anytime soon.

After the absolute shambles of the last 12 months it's brilliant how our vaccine roll out is going and apparently it's all down to Matt Hancock watching 'Contagion' :o

Here is an article from The Telegraph comparing the two vaccines. Telegraph are normally behind a pay wall but I was able to access this article no problem

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/pfizer-covid-vaccine-transmission-efficacy-oxford/
    Higgins wrote:
    Probably the consequences of the non-existent measures during last summer and fall?

More than likely...Johnson was under pressure from the retail sector to keep stores open and he should have closed the borders far sooner...his inaction then has consequences now :(

Higgins wrote:
    The EU is under massive flak for being later in getting the vaccines compared to the UK and the US.

What has to be kept in mind is, that

1. the US initiated a war act which secured all vaccines and products from the country for the country.
    2. Similar the UK - where the 2 AZ sites are producing for the UK only and additionally the UK is buying from the EU, where vaccines are not only produced for the EU but for the rest of the world - including the UK.

I may sound like a sore loser ( I can take this), but the UK's behavior is a bit like in a hotel on Mallorca:

The Brits stand up early at 6:00 and take all available umbrellas and sunchairs - more than what they really need.
    The EU citizens wake up at 8:00 and realize that most of the sunchairs are gone and the Brits refuse to give some umbrellas to them from their stock because they where too late when the umbrellas where available.

- Now the question is, what we think of that and are they really sore losers?
    - Who is playing fair and who behaves unfair?
    - Who is making unreasonable complaints?
    - How would that change, if the germans are the ones that are cornering all sunchairs in the drawn scenario and the Brits are left unprotected in the sun because they have gotten too late out of their beds?

This is a horrible case of countries failing to act together for the greater good...you can blame the US & UK for being quicker off the mark or you can blame the EU for being too slow and unwieldy in its decision making - something that has been levelled at it before. Perhaps that was why the EU tried to ban the export of the drug to Ireland? A decision that blew up in their face within hours :o I don’t believe anyone comes out of it looking good.

Although I’m not sure why you only blast the UK and not the US as well ?:)

To continue with your analogy...the UK haven’t taken more of the available umbrellas/sun chairs than they need...we still need far more...although it’s the first time I’ve ever heard a German complain that the Brits have nabbed all the sun loungers :))

I do agree that a fairer system would have been preferential...perhaps the EU does need a ‘root and branch’ update? ;)
    A pity the UK decided to leave then, instead of staying and helping push through changes.
    YNWA 97
    edited February 2021
    Yes, my analogy is flawed, but the point still is valid:

What about if the EU would have been faster - how would that be seen in the UK?
    Admittedly, the EU where too slow in that brutal race for squirreling as much of vaccine no matter about others - but the glee and the „rub in the face“ from some here is hard to take.

Why not criticizing the US?
    1. With Trump‘s America First, what else would you expect?
    2. The UK are supplied by sites that are located in the EU while ordering their 2 UK sites to supply the UK only. The US are not getting any vaccines that are produced in Europe.

Now about the Ireland thing:
    As far as I know, it was a draft and not a final order and it has been immediately stopped by some main European leaders (so much for the supposed „Anti UK Vaccination“ spirit here).
    It was a mistake and Europe should Never act as selfishly as the UK and the USA are in terms of their locally produced vaccine!

Just as I have said earlier - now let‘s imagine how BOJO would act, if he was in that position: Lack of vaccine locally and local production goes to everywhere. He would not hesitate to order local factories to supply the UK first and only!
    And many here would find it „fair“, „reasonable“ „In the National Interest“ and would defend and applaud that decision.

So that outrage about that horrible EU draft particularly from the UK is a prime example for hypocrisy!

Sir Miles wrote:
    This is a horrible case of countries failing to act together for the greater good...you can blame the US & UK for being quicker off the mark or you can blame the EU for being too slow and unwieldy in its decision making - something that has been levelled at it before. Perhaps that was why the EU tried to ban the export of the drug to Ireland? A decision that blew up in their face within hours :o I don’t believe anyone comes out of it looking good.

Although I’m not sure why you only blast the UK and not the US as well ?:)

To continue with your analogy...the UK haven’t taken more of the available umbrellas/sun chairs than they need...we still need far more...although it’s the first time I’ve ever heard a German complain that the Brits have nabbed all the sun loungers :))

I do agree that a fairer system would have been preferential...perhaps the EU does need a ‘root and branch’ update? ;)
    A pity the UK decided to leave then, instead of staying and helping push through changes.

I think it's a case of everyman for himself.

In an ideal world everyone would work to gather and spread the vaccine.However, with one of the biggest deaths tolls in the world the UK's way out of this was always going to be vaccine.

Germany have been snapping up extra doses of vaccine which goes against EU vaccination agreement. France and Denmark have also started doing this. Germany are procuring lots of extra vaccine leaving other EU countries disgruntled.

If you have the money, you will ultimately do the best for your country and put their own citizens first.

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-buys-extra-coronavirus-vaccine-doses-from-eu-countries/
    edited February 2021
    The EU vaccination purchase plan stands.
    Germany stayed calm and supportive until all contracts have been finalized and that includes timelines for supply.

Buying additional vaccine does not take anything away from the EU vaccination quantities and does not weaken the EU negotiating position because all contracts are done. And it doesn‘t delay any delivery which has been negotiated and contracted by the EU.

Biontec has surprisingly shortened supply for some weeks now for the benefit of increased production capacity. Entire Europe suffers from these shortages and Germany purchased some of the „extra“ production from a later point of time.
    Nobody receives less vaccines or later from it because of this.

Astra Zeneca surprisingly shortened their supply from the EU factories and will not be able to catch up. So I find it legitimate that Germany buys more Biontec from the extra stock to speed up their own programme which has been delayed by that breech of contract from AZ.

This discussion has been closed.