Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Chrusisall, how much fun is it going to be explaining
    A wankel engine ? :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    Is it the new i-phone 8 or X CoolhandBond ? Or do
    You prefer Android. ;) I myself am a big Samsung
    Fan ..... They actually make the screens for the new
    Apple phone. :))

It's a Moto G4 - a gift from Mrs CHB for our 11th wedding anniversary. I'm busy getting apps and finding my way round everything - it's not as difficult as I thought.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I have a new all singing and dancing cellphone - welcome to the 21st century my family have said :))

My technophobia (if that is a word) is legendary but hopefully once I have got used to it I can start to post some pics from Mactan.

I too have "complicated" relationship with technology and I haven't figured out how to post my own photos on the net. I'm looking forward to see your photos from the Philiphines :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    I just splurged and bought the closest thing to a Bond(like) car I could lay my budget-restricted hands on. Needless to say I'm very happy even though, you know, no ejection seat or goon-be-gone roof... :v

Have you figured out how to switch off the ABS yet? :v
    It's 6 years newer than my previous car so it's possible the technology has advanced to the point that the ABS on THIS one does not suck. First snowfall will tell. :D
    Oh, and no Wankel- that's old school Mazda. ;)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    What type of car is your new Bondmobile, Chrisall?
    My knowledge of cars is what a polite person would call "unimpressive". :#
    It's a Mazda 3. Kind of like a poor man's Aston Martin. :))
    Surely not poor, ...... Just Careful ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Surely not poor, ...... Just Careful ;)
    Hey, if I REALLY wanted an Aston Martin, I could HAVE one.
    But then, I'd have nowhere to live.... and no Wife.... ?:)
    From behind the wheel, ever car I've ever owned has
    Been an Aston or a Lotus ! ( in my mind at least )
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited September 2017
    chrisisall wrote:

Mazda you say? Zoom, zoom, zoom! :D

Health to drive! :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    chrisisall wrote:

Mazda you say? Zoom, zoom, zoom! :D
    200 horses, man! :v
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    "Nice car."

If I bought a Mazda in the future, it'd probably be the current generation MX-5/Miata.
    Such a bloody beautiful car and the fact that you have the ability to put a V8 in it is enough to warrant its (hopefully much lower) price tag in the future.
    a reasonable rate of return
    If I bought a Mazda in the future, it'd probably be the current generation MX-5/Miata.
    Such a bloody beautiful car
    It is that. But having a family as I do it's not somewhere I can go. Still, I happy with what I got.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    It is that. But having a family as I do it's not somewhere I can go. Still, I happy with what I got.
    Situations differ and seeing yours you made the best call possible.
    From what I've seen, it's a very good car.
    Drive it in good health!
    a reasonable rate of return
    chrisisall wrote:
    Situations differ and seeing yours you made the best call possible.
    From what I've seen, it's a very good car.
    Drive it in good health!
    Thanks. If only I could get my hands on a real Aston Martin.... or this...
    liZXtxY.jpg
    The great thing about Families is, ...... They have
    Organs to sell ! ...... That new AM is only a couple
    Of kidney operations away ! :D
    TP's family values :D

How is the election going, Higgins?
    Dull and dignified, I hope?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Voted this morning , thanks.

Pity that the populists will get over 10% and we'll hear some downright Nazis speaking in the Bundestag very soon :#

Had one from AFD on my door last week.
    Poor chap - I am pretty sure that he lost lots of motivation after our short chat :D

Told him that their stand on the 'unlawful' handling of the refugee crisis is like me driving him in an emergency to the hospital and he complains later that I broke the law by speeding ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    :))

W got communists in TV parliament for the first time since 1948, of at least one of them. Silly voters :#
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Voted this morning , thanks.

Pity that the populists will get over 10% and we'll hear some downright Nazis speaking in the Bundestag very soon :#

Had one from AFD on my door last week.
    Poor chap - I am pretty sure that he lost lots of motivation after our short chat :D

Told him that their stand on the 'unlawful' handling of the refugee crisis is like me driving him in an emergency to the hospital and he complains later that I broke the law by speeding ;)

I'm assuming Mrs Merkel will cruise to victory? And I'm sure that makes her the most successful woman politician of all time..... And why not?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Surely Theresa May, will be seen as not only the
    Greatest British Politician. But in the World ! :D
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    I think Angela Merkel will get in again as German chancellor. I see also that she's led her party since 2000! I couldn't see that ever happening in British politics myself.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Congratulations with the election, Higgins. It's nice to see a successful and stable democracy these days.
    edited September 2017
    Sorry, but that result is far from successful.

Merkel's party lost over 8% (from around 41% to 33%)
    All these went to the right-wing Populists obviously

Her government Partner SPD shrinked with over 4% to 21% - the worst result for them ever.

During the election day, there have been strong Twitter attacks by russian bots retweeting posts in favor of AfD and spreading "facts" about election fraud.

In the next days, we'll see the results in details - I wouldn't be surprised if the AfD came over 20% in all eastern states and is the strongest political power in most of them.

The coming government will look and act very different.

Today there was a pretty smart analaysis about the success of the AfD. The traditional parties assumed that the AfD voters would come from low-income households - losers of the globalisation and are mainly motivated by social inequity.
    That may be true in some parts, but we have to accept that this change of power reflects in strong cultural disagreement with the mainstream (globalisation, tolerance, openess cultural and religious diversiviacation ) and so on.

I don't want to imagine how our country will change if the traditional parties try to cater those groups..... :#

Higgins wrote:
    Sorry, but that result is far from successful.

Merkel's party lost over 8% (from around 41% to 33%)
    All these went to the right-wing Populists obviously

Her government Partner SPD shrinked with over 4% to 21% - the worst result for them ever.

During the election day, there have been strong Twitter attacks by russian bots retweeting posts in favor of AfD and spreading "facts" about election fraud.

In the next days, we'll see the results in details - I wouldn't be surprised if the AfD came over 20% in all eastern states and is the strongest political power in most of them.

The coming government will look and act very different.

No need to say sorry Higgins (though it's quite a novel from yourself) it's not your fault, and we all know how you don't like it when voters misbehave :)
    8-) yeah, the old story about me being undemocratic.

I'll give you a counter-argument (though that may be too political for off-topic).

There was an interview recently with a swiss political scientists regarding referendums:

He basically said (and I agree) that the Swiss population is used to that system and therefore inform themselfs broadly and are exactly aware about the consequences of their vote. That is based on their long-standing tradition and experience with direct democracy.

He said, that the UK voters obviously wheren't ready and well enough prepared for such and he brought the example that there where far more more UK Google searches for "Brexit" the day after the referendum than in any point of time during the campaign.

While I accept the results of democratic elections (I step toes on everybody who tells me that he doesn't vote...) I think that we'd all be shocked knowing where a large percentage of voting decisions is based on ;)

I agree, a vast amount of the UK population are totally uninformed, I made that point during the last UK General election where 3 times more people watched big brother than watched any debates. Like you I dont like non voters and refuse to discuss politics with them.
    That's the problem with democracy ...... Normal people just don't vote the way
    the politicians want :)) Not being German, I may be talking crap here ( but that's
    never stopped me before ). ;)
    From a few election reports on the BBC news channel, the gap between the rich and the poor
    is really starting to show in parts of Germany. Which sounds very similar to how the North of
    England was forgotten about by the political elite. Leading to People voting for a change, ... any
    Change, even the " Nasty" end of the spectrum.
    oh, you are absolutely right about the last point (wealth gap).

Problem is that the "Protest Alternative" has no interest to help the people that elected them at all.

Unusually for me I haven't read or watched any news reports so far tonight, so I didn't know any results. But after all it's no political earthqake. The way voters for AfD are described sounds very familiar. It's a group I think you'll find among Brexit voters, Trump supporters, Marie le Pen supporters and so on. It's tempting to blame it all on ignorance, but I think there are other factors (too). EU integrasjon may have gone to fast and integration of immigrants may have gone too slow. Just my two phennig (spelling?)
    It looks like the Russians didn't meddle in our election, probably because the country isn't politically divided and we don't have any "caos candidate" the Russians like to back. In spite of those it was decided to count all the votes both electronically and manually just to make sure.