Coronavirus

BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,052Chief of Staff
The most important thing happening in the world today is spilling into various threads here, so I thought it appropriate that we have a specific thread to discuss it.

Italy is in lockdown. More cases are being discovered daily in many countries. The World Health Organisation has declared a pandemic. And, of course, as we all know the release of the new Bond movie has been delayed- trivial in context.

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    I see Tom Hanks announced he and his wife Rita Wilson have been diagnosed with Covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/entertainment/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-coronavirus/index.html

Its interesting because they're both in Australia right now. It's summer time in Australia and warm. Seems like I remember someone saying that Covid-19 wouldn't survive in a warmer climate.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited March 2020
    D. Trump has just announced that all travels coming from Europe are banned for the next 30days - with the exception of the UK.

He obviously doesn‘t know that travel between mainland Europe and the UK is practically unlimited, so leaving out the UK makes no sense if you are seriously concerned about the virus.

I can only speak about Germany, we have a little over 1000 confirmed corona cases with 3 deaths now - our situation is much better than in the US presently - and we have open borders :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    He just doesn’t want you coming in. Nice one Trump.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Cases are still very few here in South Africa. Curiously though, last week the first confirmed case was discovered in the town where my parents live - which really is a very small village and the last place I would have expected for the first case to appear.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I live less than 10 miles from New Rochelle, NY, one of the hotbeds of COVID-19. My 89-year-old mother-in-law is in an assisted living facility in New Rochelle, just 3 miles away from the precise epicenter, a synagogue in which Patient Zero worshipped. My 80-year-old father is in Southern California having just finished 4 months of chemo, so his immune system is seriously compromised at the moment.

So yeah, this feels real.

To paraphrase FDR, fear (which is different from caution) is our biggest enemy here. People are acting almost exclusively based on what they don't know, because there is so little that we do know. My guess (and that's all it is) is that we will look back and realize in hindsight that some of the protective measures were overkill, but we can't afford to assume that now, not until we know more about this virus and how widely it has spread. I also believe (or maybe just hope) that as testing (someday!) becomes widely available in the US, and more cases are thus identified, the death rate will trend toward that which Higgins has noted in Germany. In math terms, the current denominator is massively understated.

One more thing...I hate Donald Trump with a passion, and his lack of leadership on this issue has been appalling (although, sadly, not surprising). But I have to say, much of the recent coverage by most of the supposed mainstream media has been equally appalling -- it has focused far more on Trump's failings than on reporting what is actually happening with the virus. Calling out Trump is easy, and while it may be factually true, it does nothing to advance the conversation or our knowledge. It's a totally useless waste of time. People need to be educated, not reminded of the buffoon they elected President.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I can only speak about Germany, we have around 350 confirmed corona cases with 3 deaths now - our situation is much better than in the US presently - and we have open borders 

I wonder what factors contribute to different COVID 19 situations between Germany and Italy?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    I wonder why Trump stopped all flights between the US and Europe - exept the UK?
    Is at an award for Brext or could it be some real reason?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    As well as panic buying, there has
    Also been a huge increase of people
    Buying chest freezers!
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I wonder why Trump stopped all flights between the US and Europe - exept the UK?
    Is at an award for Brext or could it be some real reason?

Probably.
    He took a sly dig in his statement; "We had to move quickly," Mr Trump said, adding that the EU did not consult the US when raising taxes on American goods".
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited March 2020
    superado wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    I can only speak about Germany, we have around 350 confirmed corona cases with 3 deaths now - our situation is much better than in the US presently - and we have open borders 

I wonder what factors contribute to different COVID 19 situations between Germany and Italy?

One reason is, that in Italy ( just like in the US), there was almost no testing and no reporting for weeks because the leaders downplayed or ignored infections.
    So infections rose under „the radar“ and now the Jeannie is out of the bottle.

Here, after the first cases have been reported, they have followed back all contacts, tested them and put them in home quarantene.
    In Germany, there is also a sufficient number of tests and lab capacities (so far) and patients don‘t have to pay. If someone is sick, he‘s still getting paid, so sick people stay home more likely when they feel sick and that reduces the risk of further virus infections at workplaces.

So far all measures have been quite well communicated and executed, in the end we will see, if it was really successful.

One word as I see in the US media Mrs. Merkel being quoted with 60% of the Population being infected in the end. This is out of context.

The context is, that experts look at the population in a pandemic and when 60-70% of the population have gotten infected, they are seen as immune because the virus can‘t spread anymore by strong growth. So the worst case scenario is that around 60-70 are getting infected in the end - and that may (hopefully) take years. And the goal of everybody must be to stretch the period of time as long as possible to avoid an explosive growth with all consequences for the medical sector.

We are at the beginning of all this.
    Maybe we in Germany have been just lucky.
    A full analysis will be done when the virus does not spread, all our ressources should be to stretch the infection period for as long as possible.

Wonderful. One can always expect real medical reasons and not political favouritism from that man …..

Norway just made offficial the most extensive measures against an epidemic at least since 1945 and I suspect many many European countries are doing the same these days. Even though we hate to wait even longer for NTTD I wouldthink mkst of us agree it was the right call by now.
    It’s a virus that mutates. So immunity isn’t guaranteed or even expected.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

One reason is, that in Italy ( just like in the US), there was almost no testing and no reporting for weeks because the leaders downplayed or ignored infections.
    So infections rose under „the radar“ and now the Jeannie is out of the bottle.

Here, after the first cases have been reported, they have followed back all contacts, tested them and put them in home quarantene.
    In Germany, there is also a sufficient number of tests and lab capacities (so far) and patients don‘t have to pay. If someone is sick, he‘s still getting paid, so sick people stay home more likely when they feel sick and that reduces the risk of further virus infections at workplaces.

So far all measures have been quite well communicated and executed, in the end we will see, if it was really successful.

One word as I see in the US media Mrs. Merkel being quoted with 60% of the Population being infected in the end. This is out of context.

The context is, that experts look at the population in a pandemic and when 60-70% of the population have gotten infected, they are seen as immune because the virus can‘t spread anymore by strong growth. So the worst case scenario is that around 60-70 are getting infected in the end - and that may (hopefully) take years. And the goal of everybody must be to stretch the period of time as long as possible to avoid an explosive growth with all consequences for the medical sector.

We are at the beginning of all this.
    Maybe we in Germany have been just lucky.
    A full analysis will be done when the virus does not spread, all our ressources should be to stretch the infection period for as long as possible.

Number of cases is not the best indicator since it is dependent on successful detection. On a proportional basis the US population at 32 Million is 4x more than Germany’s 80 mill, but the US’ confirmed of approx 90 COVID19 cases vs Germany’s 30 is only x3; Sadly, death is a more accurate indicator since proportionally the US has 10x more COVID19 deaths at 30 than Germany’s 3.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Trump still allowing travel to and from countries with Trump resorts.
    superado wrote:

Number of cases is not the best indicator since it is dependent on successful detection. On a proportional basis the US population at 32 Million is 4x more than Germany’s 80 mill, but the US’ confirmed of approx 90 COVID19 cases vs Germany’s 30 is only x3; Sadly, death is a more accurate indicator since proportionally the US has 10x more COVID19 deaths at 30 than Germany’s 3.

Entirely agreed.
    You don‘t test, your numbers are low.
    It was shocking to hear him refusing to let the passengers of the Diamond Princess back ashore because that would affect the numbers.
    Seems that it‘s more important to keep the numbers down than helping US citizens or getting an accurate pic of the situation.

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    As well as panic buying, there has
    Also been a huge increase of people
    Buying chest freezers!

Very interesting. I'm a grocery clerk for a small family owned grocery store (not my family). Nobody has bought the Styrofoam coolers we have. vent wildfires.

Theres a small increase in ice sales, but not anywhere near the sales we had when the power company was shutting off power to prevent wildfires.
    To put things in perspective. On an average weekday when I'm in the check stand for 8 hours, I can bring in around $12,000 on a normal weekday. On Thursday (a normal weekday) I brought in around $17,000 in sales.

The store has seen an increase of around $55,000 a week.

We still don't have any hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes. I can't even begin to imagine what the nationwide chains are doing sales wise.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Norway actually has more than 800 cases of Corona, making the country the third most affected in Europe per capita. One person has died. There are two reasons for this (says the authorities): There was a holliday in week 8 or 9. Some went to Italy and Austria where there was a lot of Corona going on. The other reson is that Norway tests a lot of people. Yesterday the strongest messures since the Spanish flu were announced. Schools and universities closed, no visitations to Retirement homes, restaurants and pubs closed, cinemas and conserts stopped, all non-critical patients are sent home, medically trained proffesional aren't allowed to go abroad, everyone arriving from outside the Nordic countries must be in quarantine for two weeks if they enter the country. :#
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,118MI6 Agent
    I'm guessing all film productions will have to suspend for months. Good job NTTD managed to get finished before all this broke out.

The situation seems to be getting worse by the hour.. :( Stay safe everyone. :x
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    Yes, didn't the next Mission Impossibe have to stop filming because of Corona?
    By Thursday night 98356 US citizens had been tested for the Corona virus. I don't know the number for other countries, but at the same time 10 450 Norwegians had been tested. Our population is about 5.3 million and the US population is about 325 million. I think Americans should worry about these numbers.
    The numbers in Norway and Germany are pretty good - agreed.
    Contrary in Italy and Spain.

We are far from being over with it and it may all change any given day.
    I wish and hope for the best to everyone {[]

Well. Our testing numbers are good. The number of infected are high, the third highest in Europe per capita.
    Gymkata wrote :" they're expecting nursing homes and hospital patient populations to get decimated."

That should keep many remain voters happy, as several ( like Terry Christian ) called for that
    very thing ! ;)

There are clearly going to be many deaths mainly in the older community or people with on going
    medical problems. So follow the advice on not visiting older members of your family, and keep
    washing your hands and face, that's basically all we can do.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited March 2020
    Gymkata wrote :" they're expecting nursing homes and hospital patient populations to get decimated."

That should keep many remain voters happy, as several ( like Terry Christian ) called for that
    very thing ! ;)

You may rethink such a comment!

You are better than this

:))
    I guess, that you are missing the point.

In our internet age everybody can say anything.
    So this guy Terry Christian says something stupid, some people may agree with his stupid comment and you say that because of that many Remain Voters are happy to keep nursing homes decimated.

If you‘d keep it to that single comment - fine but you did not.

The main problem Higgins is that you have a problem with ME ! if I say up you'll say Down,
    I say Black you'll say white. It's very boring, very predictable and very easy to ignore, as
    It's simply a take the opposite position to me stance.
    You find offence at everything, always needing an apology, always needing some sort
    of validation of your opinion over mine.
    I know you're a long time member of AJB007 , so in any argument with you I'm going to
    lose as I'm just an ordinary member. So Once again in order to keep the peace and not cause
    any arguments. I will Once again withdraw My comment, I guess gallows humour doesn't scan
    in Germany. I will apologise For any Offence as Feelings beat facts in any discussion.
    Please carry on the discussion ..... -{
    Mulan, Mission Impossble 7, Fast and furious 9, The quiet Place 2, NTTD and Antlers are among the movies that are delayed or put on hold because of Corona. Of course compared to the deaths, suffering and economic problems none of this matters (other than NTTD, of course)
    I'm a little hurt, as Vin Diesel had posted that F&F9 wouldn't be delayed !!!
    Shatters my Trust in Hollywood Celebs ! ;)
This discussion has been closed.