Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    edited December 2016
    Higgins wrote:

You're right Higgins, Duterte has found the magic clue. Don't buy or sell drugs or you will be shot or imprisoned for decades. No second chance, no second warning you've already had it.

Good to see that in your country of choice - people (particularly those with firearms in their hands) never make mistakes.
    Sounds great - there is only black or white - good or bad.

These Amnesty International clueless treehuggers and evil human right activists only team up with the druglords to get their free weed :D

Has not much to do with our decadent liberal reality here 8-)

Many solutions have been tried before in many countries and all seem to have failed, this is something new (and drastically different, agreed) and still in it's infancy, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out in the end. For the moment the people are liking it and I will be the first to enter a post should things suddenly change.

Anyway onto other things, Higgins, have you been to HK lately? I was there recently for the annual Christmas shopping expedition, it's still as vibrant as ever -{

I went to Hong Kong many years ago to see the rugby sevens, amazing place I have two vivid memories one was how the planes used to come in to land between the skyscrapers! The other is while out shopping two Chinese men having a blazing argument, which went on for ages and was very animated, the argument ended when one shouted at the other fukka you! Ah English I thought it really is an international language!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    Strangely enough I saw two men arguing wildly on my recent visit - maybe the same two met up again :))
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Anyway onto other things, Higgins, have you been to HK lately? I was there recently for the annual Christmas shopping expedition, it's still as vibrant as ever -{

{[] {[] {[]
    No, I haven't been there this year because we did your long cruise to places like Bora Bora :D

But we'll be there again in April - I may have to go to Manila in Jan and hope that I am not getting shot there B-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Strangely enough I saw two men arguing wildly on my recent visit - maybe the same two met up again :))
    Can see that on AJB every day in the Off-Topic :D

Higgins wrote:

{[] {[] {[]
    No, I haven't been there this year because we did your long cruise to places like Bora Bora :D

But we'll be there again in April - I may have to go to Manila in Jan and hope that I am not getting shot there B-)
    I can just see sir M booking his flight to manilla now!
    nah, Sir Miles won't shoot me.

If he would be any consequently, I'd be gone from here for a long time :D

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

{[] {[] {[]

I'll spread the word you will be there :))

I only go to Manila when I need to visit the UK embassy I try to get in and out as quick as possible to be honest. Very crowded.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    {[] {[] {[] Sir Miles

I don't have numbers - but I know that innocent people have been executed evidently.

As for death penalty scaring people off - I don't really believe that this works.
    The sheer number of firearms in the US and knowing that if you do something wrong with it may end in yourself getting executed speaks against it.

Our system here theoretically locks up murderers (and not only murderers) that pose a threat for society - even after their regular sentence is being "sat out".

And - as life is not only black and white - the experts sometimes misjudge them albeight their expertise.

I may have told the story previously, but one of my wife's colleagues stabbed another colleague to death with a kitchen knife and my wife would have been the next - they where the ones that the killer had most trouble with.

She came free after 1(!!) year - without her coworkers getting notified - she even had the face to apply again with the company X-(

{[] Indeed

I respect your viewpoint :)

I also agree that the death penalty doesn't necessarily deter - but if it saves ONE life :v

The whole system needs a shakeup !
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited December 2016
    I sent a letter to Obama today :D
    To be honest it was just a standardized letter written by Amnesty International, I just signed my copy.
    The letter was in support of a pardon for Edward Snowden, a man I consider a hero. Freedom from surveilance is one of the most important civil rights issues today. It's possible the president won't read my copy of the letter :o , but leaders always find letters from AI uncomfortable.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Just completed my Sherlock collection today by buying The Abominable Bride in HD from
    Google movies for only £3.49 -{ now roll on series four :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    To answer TP's question...

...I believe the death penalty is wrong. I was a supporter for many years, but I have come to realize that that was because it satisfied my concept of bloodlust/revenge, not because it serves a societal good. It is state-sanctioned murder, no matter who it is applied to. I have never seen any evidence that it is a deterrent for anything, although that idea is consistently trotted out. I have also heard the argument that it's less expensive than life sentences, but I find that hard to believe given the massive amounts of time and money spent on death-sentence appeals. Even if it were a money issue (which is perverse when you think about it) the small number of people executed every year means any "savings" are infinitesimal as a whole. I understand and respect those who take a different view on this issue, because I did so myself until about five years ago. No specific incident sparked my turnabout; my thinking just changed.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Numbers from the US show the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison.
    Interesting answers guys -{ although, I don't feel that I am filled with any
    Blood lust or feelings for revenge. I do have a desire for Justice though ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'm nearly IT illiterate, so I can't copy the URL. If you want to see my sources, use the search words AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL COST OF DEATH PENALTY.

The page mentions several fact checks done by US States. In Kansas the death penalty costs 70% more than life in prison.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    I have no problem with the death sentence whatsoever in theory. I think if you kill somebody you should also be taken off this planet and not be out in 15 years etc for good behaviour.

My only problem with it of course is when convictions have turned out incorrect. If there was some magical way of knowing for sure then hell yes I would back it 1000%
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I again hark back to my previous point, if you can't accept the chance of an innocent
    Person being executed, then you must be happy to accept the fact that a guilty person
    Could be released, to kill again ? So either way an innocent is getting killed ? ;)
    Well, the basic question is: is it morally right to ask the state to kill for us?

But Welshboy78 brings up an important point. New cases of death row inmates who were wrongfully convicted turn up every year, making it likely that inocent people have been executed.

I also think the social and ethic problems with the death penalty is worrying. A poor black man is more likely to be sentenced to death than a well-off white man, even if the crime is the same.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I again hark back to my previous point, if you can't accept the chance of an innocent
    Person being executed, then you must be happy to accept the fact that a guilty person
    Could be released, to kill again ? So either way an innocent is getting killed ? ;)
    Not really, because you assume that no death penalty = chance of release. What if you simply (and I realize this is nothing near simple, but humor me) replaced the death penalty with life in prison with no possibility of parole? We'll never eliminate convictions of non-criminals or acquittals of criminals, but it's quite easy to eliminate executions of non-criminals -- just don't execute anyone. You can also minimize the chance of releasing a recidivist by never releasing someone convicted of what today is a capital crime.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I also think the social and ethic problems with the death penalty is worrying. A poor black man is more likely to be sentenced to death than a well-off white man, even if the crime is the same.

This is true. It's also more likely for an innocent poor black man to be sentenced to death than a guilty rich white man is. That's how it works in America.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Number24 wrote:
    Well, the basic question is: is it morally right to ask the state to kill for us?

But Welshboy78 brings up an important point. New cases of death row inmates who were wrongfully convicted turn up every year, making it likely that inocent people have been executed.

In some parts of the world yes, in others a white man is more likely to receive the death penalty.
    It's an uncomfortable thought, but some people just do not fit into a modern civilised society that we believe we've become, and some will never be rehabilitated no matter how you go about trying to do it, now in the absence of natural selection and any kind of nature's law to control us we struggle to deal effectively with deviant or miscreant members of society. I don't sit on either side of this really, I have nothing against the death penalty in certain situations, but I also believe rehabilitation of particular convicts is a good step forward. Some I would happily beat to death myself while others would get a clip to the ear. I don't believe any system has this worked out yet.
    I think you make a very good point Sir Hillary Bray -{ I think one of the reasons many people in the UK feel
    ( Rightly or wrongly) the justice system has failed them is. Originally when they did away with the death penalty.
    It was supposed to be replaced by "life in prison" , but over time this has been reduced to as little as 15 years !
    So with 50% remission and time on remand taken off a murderer could be back on the streets in 7 years or so.
    I honestly do believe the death penalty should remain an option.
    I think the real issue is (well UK anyhow)

Sentences are too lenient in many cases
    Prisons are overcrowded (probably influences the above point)
    Prisoners have an easy life due to their lawyers and human rights.

I dont see any solution really. Shove them on a desert Island surrounded by sharks? No - not the Falklands :))
    :)) How about highly trained attack penguins ?
    edited December 2016
    Penguins are fast, nippy buggers!!!

I think the whole human rights thing does have a lot to answer for.

Are criminals even bothered about going to jail!? Appears to be more drugs inside jail then outside :D

I remember years ago a huge uproar in the UK press as one jail had bought a sh@tkoad of flat screen TVs for jail cells (was it in Scotland?). I think last year I also read an article about what they were having for xmas dinner, Turkey with all the trimmings - sounded way better then mine!! No wonder the numbers are high for reoffending!

If unemployed, not too soft, maybe prison is not a bad place to be or certainly not a deterrent to attempt a crime
    edited December 2016
    Here I was, planning to be unpolitical .... :#
    Norway probably has some of the most comfortable prisons in the world, but also some of the lowest repeat offender rates. That must mean the level of comfort in prisons isn't the main factor. (I should find some other country to be my exactly in the future :)) )

Now for something completely different: People taking selfies is very popular now, but it's nothing new. This is the Russian princess Anastasia (yes, the one in the Disney movie) taking a selfie in 1913.

lead_large.jpg

But selfies were old news in 1913. Robert Cornelius took the world's first selfie in 1838:
    img20131124115334716150464.jpg
    This made me search for vintage photos from "lost worlds". Hope you find it interesting :)

A girl from the native American Kiowa tribe (1894)
    vintage-native-american-girls-portrait-photography-8-575a67c04228f__700.jpg

A samurai in 19th century Japan:
    last-samurai-photography-japan-1800s-11-5715d1029452f__880.jpg

And geishas making the international see, hear speak no evil gestures:
    2309312083_9540c476ee_z.jpg?zz=1

An eskimo:
    Old+Photos+of+Eskimo+(3).jpg

Zulu warriors, 1879
    49f3b7f8fc823650568f8459a0399c28.jpg

Cutting ice for refrigeration, year unknown. Both my father and my grandfather did this job.
    03.JPG
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/8790890/

14 yr old in Norway killed cuz he owed 70$
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Here I was, planning to be unpolitical .... :#
    Norway probably has some of the most comfortable prisons in the world, but also some of the lowest repeat offender rates. That must mean the level of comfort in prisons isn't the main factor. (I should find some other country to be my exactly in the future :)) )

Now for something completely different: People taking selfies is very popular now, but it's nothing new. This is the Russian princess Anastasia (yes, the one in the Disney movie) taking a selfie in 1913.

lead_large.jpg

But selfies were old news in 1913. Robert Cornelius took the world's first selfie in 1838:
    img20131124115334716150464.jpg

For a moment I thought you had poster a picture of Robert Shaw :))
    http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/8790890/

14 yr old in Norway killed cuz he owed 70$

So sad. And a kindergarden teach er was killed too, maybe because she tried to help the 14 yr old.
    I would like to congratulations the Nobel prize winners today :007)
    A special greating to president Santos of Colombia. His country hasn't had peace for 50 years, I hope manages to find it for his country :007)