Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Me too. Hats off to Higgins for an intelligent, articulate and compassionate post (I know it doesn't happen too often :D ). -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    "Though you carry "Herr" in your username, you obviously have no idea about how it is really in Germany (I am sure that you are reading a lot of populist crap that comes from here).

And I still remember your collection of Nazi-Literature and swastika-decorated bookcovers in your bookshelf on a picture that you posted earlier! So I have an idea about from where you are coming from!"

So everyone that collects WW2 stuff are nazis by that logic.....some people just happen to collect , say , autographs of bad guys (Hitler or various other dictators or people like Capone)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    So everyone that collects WW2 stuff are nazis by that logic....

That's probably your logic, not mine ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    What is obvious is that security must be working to an extent as the terrorists now struggle to find guns and explosives, it's very easy to point to the refugees but that is just political showboating, with the open border policy the perpetrator could be a home grown extremist from any European country and could travel totally unmolested, so to point fingers at any group of people is unfounded and unproven, if the driver of that truck, was born in France and radicalised there does that make all French people a threat? No. The terrorist organisations have many avenues of attack open to them, and for every attack committed many more are being thwarted.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, the intelligence/security organisations must be having a good level of success in
    Stopping these attacks, as they now have to use these techniques. Horrible as they are.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    UK security services stopped over 300 terror related incidents this year alone. I'm sure our European counterparts are having similar successes.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjQgBFe_Pw0

Amusing x-mas song (warning : language) :)) :p
    Well woke up this morning to a very festive white over hoar frost, new a girl called that once, anyway ice and thick frost covering everything made me feel all Christmasy, I've still got work tomorrow but finishing at lunch time then it's holiday for me until January 4th. Unfortunately this cold snap is ending to be replaced with storm Barbara, Scotland it seems is taking the brunt, but I hope everyone stays safe, there is no flooding and no one's Christmas is ruined by the weather. Batten down the hatches all those further up north. -{
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,413Chief of Staff
    Yes, the weather's terrible here today. Heavy rain, strong winds, some flooding. Home for the evening and hatches securely battened down!
    I live near a river and watch it with trepidation, even though my house is at no flood risk I always feel for those who are.
    Mrs coop is out for Christmas pizza with her colleagues, the step daughter is at her father's so me and the boy are feasting on a Chinese, currently watching the clangers but soon off to bed to watch a bond film..... Now which one to choose????
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,818MI6 Agent
    My sister surveiled the railway in the Ice Planet Hoth (Finse, 1200 m above sea level) earlier today. Normally there would be meters of snow there, but today it was less than 25 cm :#
    I don't want to start an argument with people who haven't accepted what's going on, but a warm and snowless Christmas is sad ...
    In the UK it's normal to have no snow at Christmas ( except in parts of Scotland) so I guess our Christmas's are mostly sad
    For us this is far from normal. Last week's temeperatures were more like a bad summer's day.
    Double posts are twice as good :D
    It's very unnerving, we don't normally get snow but it's usually colder, much colder, Christmas day is forecast to be very mild here.
    edited December 2016
    Perhaps I should explain the Ice Planet Hoth reference. The scenes In The Empire Strikes Back were filmed in Finse, near the highest train station (1222 meters/4009 feet over sea level), on the Bergen-Oslo railway. My sister works in railway maintanace on Bergen-Oslo as an engineer.
    Here is Finse during a normal winter;

IMG_1106_1000.jpg

Filming on Finse:
    1450443323541.jpg?chk=14BCB5
    I do like a snowscape, let's just hope la nina moves back soon
    edited December 2016
    Just heard the news that the bastard has been shot this morning in Milano/Italy!

The evidence is pretty clear - papers have been found from him in the truck driver cabin and his fingerprints were on the wheel and on the door handle.

He is Tunisian, came over 5 years ago via Italy and has spent 4 years in an Italian prison before he came to here.

So every connection with the recent refugee movement from Irak and Syria is non-existent and some people should think again drawing too fast and easy conclusions.

Let me also make it clear, that we've had attempted attacks by Syrian and Iraqui refugees and it'll happen sooner or later that one of them succeeds.

But as CC said - you can radicalize people in short time - no matter if they are born here or came as refugees. No matter if they are German nationals (there are 3800 of them as Islamic fighters for ISIS alone) or born somewhere else.

Having been born here does not make us any superior to others that weren't so lucky.

And I am not afraid so much of Islamist Terrorists.
    I am scared about the radicals that turn up now with their xenophobic racist thoughts, with their hate and lies and that they now are going public because they find that it's now voicing a majority opinion.
    I am much more scared what happens to us!

Additionally, just a thought:
    In the US 2 people are shot to death by Islamic terrorists on average per year.
    At the same time around 12000 people are being shot by Americans.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,279MI6 Agent
    Higgins, in a democratic country where people have the right to vote, the will of the majority must prevail. Those with differing views from yourself have their own fears and will vote for those who will act on their opinions. Democracy is better than the alternative.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    edited December 2016
    I absolutely agree.

There is one but: There is a mean and evil core in most of us.
    My country has horrible experience with "democtratic decisions" that are based on hate and radicalism.

And if you see what the populists worldwide do to bring these radical powers up and how successfully they are, I am worried.

I can't accept that humanity and everything else that we've reached in the last 150 years is being wiped out by radical powers. There are limits and red lines.

And I draw them at inhumanity, nationalegoism and radicalism - no matter if they would be sanctioned by democratic votes!

Just a very simple example:
    What if you could bring the majority of people to democratically vote for killing all people above 60?
    Would you still insist, that this is a democratic decision by the majority and that we have to accept*?

*and I can hear those vibes from people demanding for that blanco-cheque that the ones who are not happy with that - are per se anti-democratic....

I have not casted a vote for over 30 years. To put it simply, I have views that are both right and left wing and I can't honestly vote for anyone because half the time they have a different view than myself :D . Apart from that I distrust politicians as they are only in it for themselves, they could not give a toss about the general public (my opinion).
    Sorry, that's too easy and too general.

All politicians are liars!
    All bankers are fraudsters
    All Brits are Hooligans
    All Germans wear Lederhosen

You may find confirmation for everything above, but you could also look a bit closer and see that there are white sheep among them.

And if you don't vote at all, you must ask yourself, how your passiveness contributed to the circumstances that you are broadly criticising.

You don't vote - stop moaning.

And what you say, about your opinions which are inconsitent - that's exactly the dilemma that many politicians face everyday. The world is not black and white and if you come to a decision - there will be always someone that is throwing dirt on you.
    But if you need a surgery - will you tell the expert (doctor) to go away and let the housekeeper do the job?

Your leader, Merkel, is now after banning the burka to gain the "populist" vote because she is scared of losing her job in the forthcoming election. That is after welcoming in thousands of Muslims. If the very top is corrupt most of what is underneath is just as bad.

Not voting is not being passive it's exercising a democratic right and having the strength to say enough is enough I will not be part of the herd of sheep.

And I wasn't moaning about anything in my posts above just stating an opinion. I also said "to put it simply" which means I wasn't going to elaborate in detail.
    AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

I say, chaps, would you mind awfully continuing this by PM? Good show!
    Now, that is a chap I CAN trust :)) Terry-Thomas what a legend.
    edited December 2016
    Ah the legendary cad, wonderful chap but had a very unfortunate life as I believe.
    Just quickly and at the risk of upsetting Barbel ( who is probably trying to keep his roof on his castle) the rise of extreme violent behaviour has little to do with western democratic process, in fact it has nothing to do in reality with politics at all, it is simply a hatred born from historical acts and a total desire to inflict their ways across the world, the modern strain of Islamic extremism isn't recognised by most Muslims and once again I say it certain humans simply cannot coexist peacefully. We are a diverse race and our beliefs do not make happy bed fellows. What we witness today is not unprecedented in modern history, but how we can deal with it is now harder due to our western way of life.
    Also casting a vote in a democratic country is just one aspect of process, as we know what an elected government wants to do and what gets passed through is another.
    It is a true statement that politicians, bankers etc etc are simply representative of the people, in a room of 500 "ordinary" people some will be corrupt, selfish, morally bankrupt. There are many honest decent politicians just as there are people.
    I accept your demand, Archie.

But as it was stated above: If there is any politician, who's not corrupt, it'll be Merkel and she prove that on various occasions.

I have never voted for her - I think that CHB should apologize for that.

You can happily discuss that by PM.

Now, I shan't ask you politely next time...
    In other news, I've finished work :D well paid work, now I'm taking advantage of the empty house doing some pre Christmas cleaning and sorting while listening to Eric Clapton live in San Diego, havnt heard this album for years. Followed by some John Barry at very high volume in fact maybe all the way up to 11.
    Good stuff, CC! {[]