Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Marry Christmas to everyone!
    Both those of us who celebrate Christmas today and those who do it on the wrong day :D
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Of the two days, Christmas Eve is my favourite - it's the anticipation. Both daughters and their BFs are here so we will start celebrating early.

And if course at some point we can keep an eye on where the big guy in the red suit is:

http://www.noradsanta.org/
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Marry Christmas to everyone!
    Both those of us who celebrate Christmas today and those who do it on the wrong day :D

Hahaha and +1
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    https://youtu.be/Vd79mpzBnJ4
    To get everyone in the mood, here's "silent night" by Chewbacca. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Merry Christmas to all here at Absolutely James Bond. Let us hope and prey for peace and happiness for everyone in our world whatever god they worship.
  • welshguy34welshguy34 Posts: 219MI6 Agent
    Merry Christmas to everybody at AJB. -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Sir M you are a man of impeccable taste -{

If only :))
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I lucky enough to see him there when he did the shows that were half blues and half his own with a bit of him doing hendrix. Also saw him at Sheffield arena and much to my surprise zz top supported and Joe cooker performed with him.

I've seen Clapton 4 times at Birmingham NIA - before it was called that !
    His best line up that I've seen was Clapton, Phillinganes, East & Collins -{ saw that line up a couple times...also seen his 'blues' line up and one gig with Mark Knopfler.
    YNWA 97
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I'm going to say something that I know is controversial, even blasphemous for some but ...

I hate live albums ... why on earth do you want to listen to something that's half the quality of a studio sound? 8-)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    I'm going to say something that I know is controversial, even blasphemous for some but ...

I hate live albums ... why on earth do you want to listen to something that's half the quality of a studio sound? 8-)

For certain types of music, particularly jazz, you get much different performances versus a studio album. Where improvisation is a big part of the music, different interpretations is a benefit to hearing live music alongside a studio album. A lot of rock is the same way. There might be a certain passion present in a live performance that you won't get in the sterile studio environment. Also, when many band don't record all their parts together in the studio, it's a much different dynamic to hear them all playing together live. For classical music, I see no benefit in hearing live performances because I want the clarity of the music for all the detail. In pop music where the polished studio product is a significant part of the music, you could lose a lot more than you gain in a live recording.

I take it you don't listen to mp3s? I don't understand why someone would purchase mp3s over a CD when the quality is far lower.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

For certain types of music, particularly jazz, you get much different performances versus a studio album. Where improvisation is a big part of the music, different interpretations is a benefit to hearing live music alongside a studio album. A lot of rock is the same way. There might be a certain passion present in a live performance that you won't get in the sterile studio environment. Also, when many band don't record all their parts together in the studio, it's a much different dynamic to hear them all playing together live. For classical music, I see no benefit in hearing live performances because I want the clarity of the music for all the detail. In pop music where the polished studio product is a significant part of the music, you could lose a lot more than you gain in a live recording.

I take it you don't listen to mp3s? I don't understand why someone would purchase mp3s over a CD when the quality is far lower.

No ... I listen to MP3's ... more practical these days.

I suppose I'm a bit of a heathen when it comes to sound quality from that perspective. I had friends that would try and convince me their music was better because it was being played through a certain speaker or because they were using gold plated plugs or something ... means nothing to me.

I just don't like live recordings ... and especially Jazz with all the scat, shoo be doo nonsense :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:

I love a live album "GENESIS " seconds out is one of my faves Also any live work by the man himself Phill Collins , his impromptu interaction with the fans is second to none ,he has sung and said things during his shows that are so unique that they couldn't be re-produced on recording medium /studio work ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    I usually prefer live albums to studio ones.
    And "Seconds Out" is one of my favourites too- probably the best of their many live albums.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    edited December 2016
    I prefer a lot of live albums, not classical or Orchestra based music. I find more atmosphere and the songs are performed with more..... Thrasos!
    Of course it depends on the style of music, any proper guitar based music or proper band meaning a group of people playing instruments live to create the music sound good live especially on those occasions where the gigs just take off. Obviously there's no point in one direction live as it's a backing track and the only difference would be the sound of the awful singing and screaming girls.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I prefer a lot of live albums, not classical or Orchestra based music. I find more atmosphere and the songs are performed with more..... Thrasos!
    Of course it depends on the style of music, any proper guitar based music or proper band meaning a group of people playing instruments live to create the music sound good live especially on those occasions where the gigs just take off. Obviously there's no point in one direction live as it's a backing track and the only difference would be the sound of the awful singing and screaming girls.

You should hear the Higgins-Family Flute-Quartett :D

Maybe you should put some family flute recitals up on YouTube for us all to enjoy.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:

I love a live album "GENESIS " seconds out is one of my faves Also any live work by the man himself Phill Collins , his impromptu interaction with the fans is second to none ,he has sung and said things during his shows that are so unique that they couldn't be re-produced on recording medium /studio work ,

I'm another Phil Collins fan. Got his double disc Best of CD recently and am playing it in the car. :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I hope you enjoy this my friends https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469Z8PDarq8

I have tried and made sure this works.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,326Chief of Staff
    The song that got me into Genesis- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK9a2jLEAfs

(not saying that this is the best version, though)
    I love that song, I like it as part of " old melody" on the three sides live album.
    Joshua wrote:
    I hope you enjoy this my friends https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469Z8PDarq8

I have tried and made sure this works.
    Love a bit of Gospel done well
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

No ... I listen to MP3's ... more practical these days.

I suppose I'm a bit of a heathen when it comes to sound quality from that perspective. I had friends that would try and convince me their music was better because it was being played through a certain speaker or because they were using gold plated plugs or something ... means nothing to me.

I just don't like live recordings ... and especially Jazz with all the scat, shoo be doo nonsense :))

If you listen to MP3s, you can't complain about sound quality. But it's completely okay to not like live recordings.

And you know, most jazz does not have scat. Vocal jazz is only a small amount of jazz, and many jazz singers sing only the words of the songs they sing with no scat. But it's okay if you don't like jazz without scat too.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Personally, I love live albums...it's the true representation of what a band can *actually* do 'in the moment,' IMO...the best live records are some of the best records from a fair amount of artists B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Personally, I love live albums...it's the true representation of what a band can *actually* do 'in the moment,' IMO...the best live records are some of the best records from a fair amount of artists B-)
    This is true, most of my versions of songs are live versions, Billy Joel goes to another level live and his remastered live tracks are my definitive. Pink Floyd as well both pulse and delicate sound of thunder have my definitive versions. Clapton is always better live, bowie, the definitive version of phantom of the Opera by iron maiden is the live at long Beach arena one. Buddy Guy, Robert Cray in fact all blues are better live, as with jazz it's the nature of the beast.
    Just one word: Saga!

Back in the days when my scalp was full, I've been a massive Saga fan and their "In Transit" album beat everything that they've done in the studio.
    Visited them Live twice and they've almost redone it with "Spin it again" in even better Sound Quality some years ago.

Michael Saddler is also blessed that his voice has not changed in 30 years.
    Highly recommended!

Saga?? they are somewhere in my peripheral memory, Canadian rock /synth band who the hasslehoff effect in Germany?
    Unfortunately in the UK saga is a company who caters for the over 50's.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    First thing that came in to my head, hoiays of older people, ..... So Higgins to a T :p :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,221MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:

Although I am well into the over 50's age group the thought of being on a group holiday fills me with dread. It's why the idea of a cruise holiday has put me off - to be stuck with a group of passengers for two weeks without any chance of escaping is horrifying :)) Higgins put up a decent case for cruising a few months back and Mrs CHB wants to go on one so at some point I am going to have to try one.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Chriscoop wrote:

Although I am well into the over 50's age group the thought of being on a group holiday fills me with dread. It's why the idea of a cruise holiday has put me off - to be stuck with a group of passengers for two weeks without any chance of escaping is horrifying :)) Higgins put up a decent case for cruising a few months back and Mrs CHB wants to go on one so at some point I am going to have to try one.

If you do try one ... make sure it's a short one ....

I went on my first cruise this year and hated it ... Everything was great. The boat, the food, the entertainment but it just didn't happen for me. The routine became a bit repetitive and I felt a bit claustrophobic.