Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I think he does.

I'll admit that he's more pleasant then say, Jeremy Kyle :)) At least Clarkson does not shout at Benefit Claimants and single Mothers :D
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Clarkson is an arse. And I hate Top Gear. There, I said it. :))
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes He is an arse ! But I love Top Gear. :D looking at all
    Those lovely cars ( which I'll never own) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,615Chief of Staff
    Although doesn't he own the top gear format, not the BBC...

Didn't he sell them the format a few months ago ? Or part of it ?

I love Top Gear...let's see what this 'fracas ' is first...
    YNWA 97
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Used to love top gear, then the slapstick three stooges ruined it by doing less and less informative journalism and more and more arsing about in cars.

The stupid tasks, the stages adventures and the complete fabricated segments are just old now.

"All we were waiting for now was for the hamster to turn up"

Cue Hammond arriving in clown car with off-centre wheels, doors falling off and custard pie on his head.

Yawn.

Remember when there was useful info on top gear about what to look out for when buying a certain car, or they actually road tested something you'd be able to afford?

Sack the lot of them, I really don't think they need to yet another scripted staged and make believe special.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I love Top Gear and Clarkson being an arse is a big part of it's success!

The show lives from his un-pc'ness - it will be tough to get a replacement - never change the formula!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I read somewhere that Top Gear is worth up to £150 million to the BBC since broadcast all over the world. Not sure if this is bull.

I guess if true and since its basically "The Clarkson Show" it explains how he is yet to be sacked. Im sure Sky and Co will snap him up if he is indeed let go
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Yep, he'll be snapped up sky. Even the original Stig has said it was an
    Argument between two blokes, with maybe a punch thrown. In some cases
    It could have been settled after calming down with a pint and a handshake.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    stag wrote:
    Time to get a real driver to fill the spot. Jason Plato for example, & subtly shift the focus of the programme back from the stupid to the believable.

If this happens then it's the end for Top Gear...they had him on Fifth Gear and that died a death...people don't watch Top Gear as a credible motoring program...and haven't done for years...the public don't want a 'proper' motoring program...Top Gear just makes too much money for the BBC - and most of that is down to Clarkson...
    YNWA 97
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

If this happens then it's the end for Top Gear...they had him on Fifth Gear and that died a death...people don't watch Top Gear as a credible motoring program...and haven't done for years...the public don't want a 'proper' motoring program...Top Gear just makes too much money for the BBC - and most of that is down to Clarkson...

Absolutely.

We watch Top Gear as a family.

The appeal of Top Gear is nothing to do with cars. Its the dynamics of the presenters and the lynchpin is Clarkson.

I have no idea what Clarkson's appeal is. He is fat, unattractive, mouthy, rude and full of himself ... and I love him !!!

To be honest he seems to fall into that very small category of people who seem to be able to get away with anything just because.
    'Oh,its just Clarkson being Clarkson' or 'its Boris being Boris'

If the BBC get rid of Clarkson he'll be off our TV screens for about 10 seconds before he reappears on ITV or Sky. The chances are Hammond and May will follow him.
    I for one have signed the on line petition to have Clarkson reinstated :D
    As I imagine the punch ( if one was thrown) would be like the fight between
    Colin Firth and Hugh Grant in Bridget Jones diary. :))
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iapVomK4eFA
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    I'd sign a petition to get him sacked. There are enough boy and girl racers on the roads these days doing daft and dangerous things without Top Gear encouraging them. A plague on all their houses I say! X-(
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    stag wrote:
    I for one have signed the on line petition to have Clarkson reinstated :D
    As I imagine the punch ( if one was thrown) would be like the fight between
    Colin Firth and Hugh Grant in Bridget Jones diary. :))
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iapVomK4eFA

Is there a petition to have him sacked?

There should be! :))
    The big plus point for Top Gear is that even people with no interest in cars
    Watch it. As Sir Miles points out, it's an entertainment programme. The market
    For a " Proper car" show I guess would be much smaller. Many other car review
    Shows have come and gone, but Top Gear rolls on. If you hate it that's a bad thing,
    If you enjoy it, then it's all good.
    Like the X Factor, I hate it, loath it, despise all aspects of the programme, hate the
    Judges with a vengeance, but I don't watch it. Those who enjoy it please watch away.
    I'll watch something else. ;)
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Absolutely.

We watch Top Gear as a family.

The appeal of Top Gear is nothing to do with cars. Its the dynamics of the presenters and the lynchpin is Clarkson.

I have no idea what Clarkson's appeal is. He is fat, unattractive, mouthy, rude and full of himself ... and I love him !!!

To be honest he seems to fall into that very small category of people who seem to be able to get away with anything just because.
    'Oh,its just Clarkson being Clarkson' or 'its Boris being Boris'

If the BBC get rid of Clarkson he'll be off our TV screens for about 10 seconds before he reappears on ITV or Sky. The chances are Hammond and May will follow him.

Indeed, Jeremy Clarkson can be mouthy, rude and full of himself. But he is also a damn fine TV presenter. Not just Top Gear, but (for example) look at his war documentaries, and his Great Britons presentation of Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Clarkson also has charisma, speaks his mind, can be funny, and is not afraid to make a fool of himself. And that is probably why approx 300,000 people to date have signed a petition for him to be re-instated, which I think he will.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I can't stand Clarkson. I find him arrogant, abrasive and condescending, but I love Top Gear largely because of him! I can't imagine the programme lasting even a season with anyone else hosting. Clarkson is howlingly cringe-worthy, but that is one of the reasons the show is so popular. Yes, he's insulted everyone of every nationality, religion, gendre, persuasion and infirmity, but in a bizarre way that's why he still has (or had!) a job. If he'd only picked on one or two groups, he'd be in considerably more trouble than by picking on every group!

I too wish there was a bit more tech information as there used to be, but with 350 million viewers around the world, it's possible that they're now catering to that audience, ie people who have only a passing interest in cars but who enjoy being entertained in a novel way.

BBC do have a problem here though. The programme earns them GBP150m a year and is literally sold all over the world. They have to know that without Clarkson (and likely Hammond and May), there simply is no show. Does a political and PC organisation like the BBC allow Clarkson to continue, or do they walk away from a massive chunk of change? They either lose a lot of money or lose a lot of credibility.
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I love the way he is so un-PC and find him very entertaining, that is why Im with TP and many others and have signed the on line petition to have Clarkson reinstated :D

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson?after_sign_exp=member_sponsored_donation
    stag wrote:
    Top Gear has killed itself by its ever increasing absurdity..

And with a global audience of around 350 million - that's some death !

Top Gear has four live shows in Norway at the end of this month...I guess a decision will be made soon then...
    YNWA 97
    edited March 2015
    It the beeb stop the show "Dave" will lose around 70% of its programming ! :))
    Just signed it...they're at almost 400,000 signatures and it's only been 21 hours!
    Two blokes have an argument at the end of a long day, they get stroppy
    And ( probably) do a bit of macho pushing. They should have both got a
    Right good bollocking, told to grow up, shake hands and get on with it, after
    All we're British, not French ! ;) whatever happened to the stiff upper lip ?.
    There was a time if a chaps wife had been horribly killed in a yachting or
    Golfing accident. You could simply shake his hand, and he'd know you were sorry
    For him, then to avoid any embarrassment ( about emotions ) he'd quickly say
    Something like " Thank you, sad business ...... But not as sad as The Test score".
    That's the way it was until Jeremy Kyle, got everyone getting emotional over
    Every little thing.
    I blame Europe for all this. ;)
    Agree, his WW2 documentaries are fantastic. -{
    Only seen one of them...on his father-in-law who got the VC (?) but it was very good indeed.
    stag wrote:
    The Fifth Gear thing wasn't Platos fault, it was down to the producers attempting to mimic Top Gear. Top Gear has killed itself by its ever increasing absurdity. As for its inability to survive without JC, I suppose the same was said about Bond when Connery left. If it was handed to one of the other stooges to act as main presenter then recruit someone else, the programme would doubtless lose viewers but probably win back all those it has lost.

The problem there is that Clarkson did leave Top Gear some time ago and the programme literally sunk very quickly and was taken off air completely.

Top Gear only returned a couple of years later with guess who at the helm ??

I'm afraid JC is Top Gear.
    Somehow you see to forget the heroism of WW2, as we have so many modern
    Conflicts filling our screen. So it was amazing to hear of the actions of these
    Brave men who against the odds, including escaping with broken limbs etc
    Succeeded in their operations. Clarkson obviously has a great interest and
    A very high regard for those men and the army in general. I wish he'd make
    More of them.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    Nicola Sturgeon (Scotland's First Minister) is giving a speech on Saturday night in Pollokshaws, Glasgow. My band have just been asked to play afterwards. An interesting gig I'd think, but we've had to turn it down :( since we're already booked.

http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/glasgow-south-snp-candidate-adoption-fundraiser-tickets-15928877702 (we'd have been the "live music" bit)
    You're doing the UKIP conference, that night ? :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    ... in Scotland? :)) :)) :))

Na, just a bar. But we have 4 gigs there this year, and I can't risk those by cancelling this one at such short notice.
    As the saying goes " He who pays the piper...... " ;)
    I don't think Clarkson, Hammond or May are particulalry bothered about the current situation.

Their tweets over the past 24 hours do not indicate any kind of concern, quite the contrary. Lots of joking and Mickey taking.
    I really think wherever Clarkson ends up the other two will follow.

I've also been reading that the Director of BBC TV, Danny Cohen, has been gunning for Clarkson for some time and sees this as his chance to get rid of him. I get the impression Danny Cohen is pretty much up his own backside so theres probably a huge clash of egos going on.