Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Our Voting System is really a Relic of pre- ww2 Britain.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    It seems to me that your system favours the largest political parties, making it hard to change.
    How does it work in Norway?
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It seems to me that your system favours the largest political parties, making it hard to change.

We had a referendum on the half-way house that was the Alternative Vote (AV) in 2011 as one of the Tory concessions to the Lib Dem Coalition Govt partners. It failed. I voted against it then and would do the same today. That said, we've had Proportional Representation voting in Northern Ireland since I believe the early 1980s but of course once again what is good for NI is not good for mainland GB.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    votes

To put it simply: the parties get a number of representatives roughly in proportion to the number of votes they got.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    And we've had the case over here (N.I) of a seat being won by One vote. 8-)
    So I'm a fan of PR, as it would stop that sort of thing.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Number24 wrote:
    votes

To put it simply: the parties get a number of representatives roughly in proportion to the number of votes they got.

That seems more fair.
    Watching " Election Debate NI" ( which I think is being shown all over the UK)
    Hoping we'd get a more grown up political debate, sadly 15 minutes in, and it's
    turned into the usual shouting match :#
    On a side note apart from the lady, all the politicians have grey hair, grey suits
    Grey voices, grey ideas ............... 8-)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    votes

That seems more fair.

It's not that straightforward....say your constituency votes Con but gets a Labour MP because of PR...or how do you split the country up ? Then you have local elections....how would you work those...?
    YNWA 97
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) Ed's trying to be "interesting " :D

And meeting Joey Essex won't have helped either!!

At least one thing can be said for 'Dave' is that he did have the good sense to not do the interview with Joey Essex. It amazes me so many of them did There is no dignity in left in electionering.
    Agreed, looking at the advert for the show tonight, I did comment that Dave
    seemed to be the only one not in it. ;) no one apart from " Joey" is going to
    Come out of this show looking good. :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    My local MP is Jim Murphy, leader of the Scottish Labour Party. I've met him a couple of times and he seems a good guy. Still, he hasn't a chance of beating Nicola Sturgeon in any poll.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    My local MP is Jim Murphy, leader of the Scottish Labour Party. I've met him a couple of times and he seems a good guy. Still, he hasn't a chance of beating Nicola Sturgeon in any poll.

The solution - vote Conservative. It confuses them. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    Watching bbc news, now this is only one poll but, it states the SNP could win all
    59 Scottish seats ! Love them or hate them, this would be an earthquake in British
    Politics.
    Watching bbc news, now this is only one poll but, it states the SNP could win all
    59 Scottish seats ! Love them or hate them, this would be an earthquake in British
    Politics.

I saw that too.

Have to hand it to The SNP. They didn't get Independence but are surely going to get the next best thing and have a say in English Parliament. They're playing a blinder to be honest.

Stick it to the Sassenachs !!!! :))
    I know they're not everyone's cup of tea but yes, they have handled themselves
    Brilliantly. From a small protest party to now a huge major force in politics. :D
    I wonder if they dropped the independence theme, how much support there'd be
    In the north of England for their more " left of centre" views ? ;)
    When I went to school around 1990, we learnt that there were only two parties with real power in the UK - Tories and Labour. Now they are completely dependent on a few smaller parties. Yes - Things have changed.
    I think Russell Brand is a very smart, intellectual but sadly is too smart for us ordinary
    Voters. Perhaps he'd have better luck going to Syria, China or N.Korea to explain how
    Democracy doesn't work ? :D
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    On a lighter note, yesterday I was driving through Pratts Bottom (yes TP ,its a real town in Kent ) on my way to see my gorgeous dentist, :D .Any way as I was caning the Bee Emm down the highway ,in the distance coming towards me was a
    United States Army 6x6 truck ,that some one had pains-takingly renovated .(you don't see many 6x6 in Pratts Bottom or for that matter, any one elses bottom) :)) , But It immediately bought a smile to my face, as thoughts of Robin Williams flashed across my mind in Good morning Vietnam. For that split second seemed very real (I wasn't there obviously) .But, the memory of Robin ,chatting to those young guys on their way to the front line ,in that brilliant film, will stay with us always .
    it made my day
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Is it near Pert Bottom ? :))
    Bond's Aunt Charmian was from Pett Bottom in Kent of course.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    Yes, but TP can never resist a joke! :))
    .... Or a pert Bottom ! I'm a big Beyoncé fan. ;)
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Watching James Bond Radio's new podcast. The Collectors Of Bond Part 2

https://youtu.be/PGa6AqleToo
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    .... Or a pert Bottom ! I'm a big Beyoncé fan. ;)

Could be worse ... Where I live we've got 'Trotters Bottom' :)) :))
    :)) It sounds so romantic.
    :)) :))
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Just spent the last 5 minutes watching our 4 month old pup encounter his first creepy crawly insect in the garden, I have not laughed so much in ages.
    There was a lot of sniffing, barking and pouncing back and forward .... 'That's my boy' :))
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    I drove to Sweden to shop groceries today. Just a lot of snow and pine trees, but I got to break in my new sunglasses B-)
    Why is the road so much better on the Swedish side of the border? But the big question is: are we the only people on earth who see Sweden as a low-cost country, a sort of extremely well-functioning Mexico? :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Congratulations to H.R.H Prince William and The Duchess of Cambridge (Kate) who now have a new member to their family a baby girl . (ive already run up the Union flag on the front of me house)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?