Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I did infact use a photo of myself for ages, but was asked by the Mods. To remove it
    as too many members were "swooning" over it, causing all sorts of problems. ;)
    I actually printed that photo and kept it in my wallet :x
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I did infact use a photo of myself for ages, but was asked by the Mods. To remove it
    as too many members were "swooning" over it, causing all sorts of problems. ;)
    I actually printed that photo and kept it in my wallet :x

Then you are guaranteed to get it back untouched if it's ever stolen :v :D
    YNWA 97
    :o :))
    We have wall to wall blue sky here today :)

DSC_0189.jpg
    And as Mrs Coop is busy doing uni work to further her social services career and the dreaded stepdaughter is at her father's I'm making the most of it and taking my little boy to the Yorkshire air museum, he's become obsessed with planes since our recent holiday so he'll enjoy it and I'm looking forward to lunch in the naafi.
    Sounds like fun, I hope you both enjoy it. I hope you've done your research, as it will be all
    Questions, Questions, Questions..... " Why is the sky blue ?" Usually starts it. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) he's only 2 next week so just looking will be fine for him.
    :)) You should be able to handle it. -{
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    Blue sky on the west coast of Norway too!!!!
    Beautiful blue skies over N.Ireland as well. -{ :D
    Blue sky in October on the coast of Norway, North Yorkshire and Northern Ireland at the same time - and still TP doesn't believe in miracles! :D
    :)) Some confuse coincidence with miracle. ;) :p

Although on your special interest of WW2 etc. I heard on a recent BBC radio 4 programme that the
    Norwegian resistance, used the name of a fjord as a test against foreign spies, as only a Norwegian
    Could properly pronounce it.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,221MI6 Agent
    Beautiful blue skies over N.Ireland as well. -{ :D

Cloudy all day and now we have an electrical storm - paradise :D :))
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    It must be awful having to live in a subtropical paradise CHB! :D
    Well we had a great time at the air museum my little boy is now sampling the delights of those little polystyrene planes you put together with the little plastic propeller..... Anyone else remember them? Some interesting stuff I recommend a visit if you are around York. I've learnt that the Yorkshire squadrons motto was " tally ho" I never knew that.
    Number 24 might appreciate some of these.

DSC_0209.jpg
    The tall boy, first 10 ton bomb from ww2

DSC_0206.jpg
    Lewis machine guns

DSC_0204.jpg
    Secret communications room, is that a lektor in the corner?

DSC_0194.jpg
    Halifax bomber

DSC_0192.jpg
    Halifax rear guns

DSC_0201.jpg
    One for tp

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg
    Not forgetting the inevitable bond connection

DSC_0207.jpg
    Can't leave out the spitfire
    :)) Some confuse coincidence with miracle. ;) :p

Although on your special interest of WW2 etc. I heard on a recent BBC radio 4 programme that the
    Norwegian resistance, used the name of a fjord as a test against foreign spies, as only a Norwegian
    Could properly pronounce it.

I haven't heard of it, and frankly I doubt it. The Gestapo and SD had Norwegian double agents so this wouldn't make them safe.
    I think you migh be thinking of the word "jøssing". There is a story behind this:

In February 1940 Norway was a neutral country. The German navy support ship Altmark was trying to get home with British POW's onboard, and they were illegally using neutral flags such as the Norwegian. They were hiding in the fjords when Norwegian navy gunboat boarded Altmark, but failed to discover it was a Kriegsmarine ship carrying POW's. The Royal Navy followed the Altmark into neutral Norwegian waters and Altmark hid in Jøssingfjord, a fjord in the far south of the country. HMS Cossack managed to board Altmark and free the prisoners.

This episode was considered proof that Norway was unable to protect its neautrality by both pro-British and pro-German newspapers.
    After Norway was invaded in April and became nazi- occupied, the term "jøssing" was used by the official pro-German press as a negative term for people who supported the exile king and government in London. The resistance made the word their own, much like black people use the N-word today, and made it a word meaning someone loyal to the king and anti-German. A "good Norwegian".

Altmark in Jøssingfjord:
    Altmark.jpg

altmark.jpg

A more detailed version of the story in English:

http://www.hmscossack.org/download/altmark.pdf
    Would that picture of the young lady be on an old Victor Bomber ? ( I'm such a geek ) ;)
    Nice to see Lewis Collins, personal machine guns too. :D
    Seriously, looks to have been a great day out, I built many an airfix kit in my day.
    Number24, I seriously doubt the BBC would lie to me ! ...... Although I do bow to your superior knowledge.
    It may be an Old story, like in England asking suspected German spies to say "Squirrel" ;)
    Would that picture of the young lady be on an old Victor Bomber ? ( I'm such a geek ) ;)
    Nice to see Lewis Collins, personal machine guns too. :D
    Seriously, looks to have been a great day out, I built many an airfix kit in my day.
    It is indeed "Lusty Linda" last time I went some years ago there was a vulcan ( another bond connection) where Lusty Linda now lives.

DSC_0200.jpg
    My boy and Lusty linda

You'd enjoy their shop then tp there are models of every plane imaginable!
    It's possible the Norwegian military forces used a word the Germans found difficult to pronounce as a password during the fighting against the Wermacht, but I seriously doubt the resistance used it after the occupation was a fact. Here is one of the reasons this was unwise: Henry Rinnan.

320x.jpg

Doesn't he look nice? :v
    He was a Norwegian Gestapo informer who ran his own informer unit staffed by Norwegians called "Sonderabteilung Lola".
    He and his people infliltrated resistance organisations posing as members of the resistance. They also tortured people for iformation.
    Back in the innocent days when. If I told my parents I had a glue problem. It was because I'd stuck
    My fingers to another spitfire wing ! :))
    Number24 wrote:
    It's possible the Norwegian military forces used a word the Germans found difficult to pronounce as a password during the fighting against the Wermacht, but I seriously doubt the resistance used it after the occupation was a fact. Here is one of the reasons this was unwise: Henry Rinnan.

320x.jpg

Doesn't he look nice? :v
    He was a Norwegian Gestapo informer who ran his own informer unit staffed by Norwegians called "Sonderabteilung Lola".
    He and his people infliltrated resistance organisations posing as members of the resistance. They also tortured people for iformation.
    B*stard! What became of him 24?
    Back in the innocent days when. If I told my parents I had a glue problem. It was because I'd stuck
    My fingers to another spitfire wing ! :))
    :)) oh and how quickly boys move from that to sticking magazine pages together! ;%
    :)) :)) :))
    I'm no expert on WW2 but from reading and watching a few documentaries, the Norwegians who welcomed
    The Nazi ideals, did so in a big way. I've read about handicapped children being killed, even in one case a
    Young girl was killed for not knowing her "catechism" , named by her local priest !
    It really is amazing how cruel and disgusting the human race can get, when they stop considering others
    As Human too. :#
    I can only hope Henry Rinnan got a suitable punishment.
    I'm always surprised to hear of nazi sympathisers, I simply can't understand how they ever got into power.... I mean I know how they did but I can't understand it, quite incredible really.
    I think it's the politics of fear, and finding a group to hang all the troubles on. :#
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Vidkun Quisling was the leader of the pack of Norwegian collaborators. He name became the shorthand for "traitor".
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I think for a while fascism was the "in" thing, with many countries having a branch. The Black shirts in Britain
    and in the Republic of Ireland "The blue shirts" which became the Fine Gael party. Oddly they don't mention
    that part of their history. ....... too much.
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    I think for a while fascism was the "in" thing

I think you could be right about that. John F. Kennedy, while travelling across Europe, wrote in his diary that it seemed the right system of government for Germany and Italy (1937). One sentence later he also mentioned what I think was one of if not the major factor why people supported or tolerated it: Their even bigger distrust / or fear of communism.
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
    Agreed, I remember reading that if Hitler had died in 1938, he would probably gone down in history
    As one of the greatest chancellors in history. Add to that if the economy had have been used for
    peaceful industrial growth ( instead of a war machine ) Germany may well have become one of
    the world's super powers, like America. ( much earlier at least )
    By the way just incase anyone thinks I'm defending the Nazi's . I'm not, merely playing " what might
    have been" I'm also willing to accept that my concept is totally wrong.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Yes, agreed, in that if Hitler had used his power for good in Germany and the wider world he could have done great things. As it was, he took a different path and chose to use his power for evil instead.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).