Random Chat!!! (All Welcome!)

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,793MI6 Agent

🤣🤣🤣

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent

It's rumoured that during some gambling sessions he spent as much as 50p.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent

Me and @Silhouette Man follow each other on Twitter but I don't seem to get his posts much - hey SM, on your feed there's loads of books from eBay posted without comment, I haven't seen these on my timeline. It may be an algorithm thing.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,689MI6 Agent
    edited November 2022

Yes, it might be that. Come to think of it I haven't seen any of your tweets for a while either. Mostly i just retweet Bond stuff. I'm trying to sell off parts of my book collection in order to raise extra funds. Sorry if it's spamming your feed but I find it helps the books sell, at least in some cases.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Well, it would be spamming my feed but like I say, I don't see them! It's only because I saw your post and then - somewhat suspiciously - looked you up to see if you'd surreptitiously unfollowed me! But you hadn't.

A way around this is to click on the star at the top of the timeline which offers you the chance to see Tweets as they occur, in real time, rather than the algorithm kicking in.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Ah, I see. I was deleting them as I went along before, and I'll have to get back to doing that as I know they might be annoying. I think I'll actually stop doing that as I don't think it makes much difference anyway.

It must be the algorithm, as you say. I do follow a lot more accounts than those who follow me back so that probably explains why I don't see a lot of stuff. I'll have to try your suggestion of clicking the star at the top of the timeline. I don't think I knew about that. I should greatly help the Twitter experience.

Well, once the Tweets are out there, they come and go - I mean, you don't have to delete them. They don't come back again. The only thing to avoid is Tweeting them all in rapid succession, say over five mins, cos on some timelines it will show up as a succession of Tweet with nothing in between, esp if the other account doesn't have many followers. You might also add a stray comment or two about each book you are tweeting as a heads up as otherwise you're leaving it up to the person to figure out what they're going to get out of clicking on the link.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited November 2022

Yes, I was thinking that myself to be honest. Tweeting them only occasionally would probably be more effective though I'm not sure it really makes much difference at all in terms of sales. As you say, more detail would probably help, especially on a few of the Bond books I have listed. I do sell about three to four books a month (sometimes a little more) so it all helps to supplement my wages a little in these tough economic times.

• DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent

Hi everyone, last Sunday I posted my first James Bond review on YouTube. Hopefully you guys like it. I do know however I talk a bit too fast, so I'll try to slow it down for my next video! Enjoy and please let me know what you think! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjmpyA648vc

Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

Thanks for that. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd never noticed the 'three blind mice' patrolling outside the Embassy before - a great spot. Perhaps a little more on the cinematic aspects of the movie, you sort of threw in those comments at the end when I'd have expected to see them during the main flow. Very good, nonetheless.

It's good, but I agree that you're talking too fast. Please keep making material, it'll only get better with time. 🙂

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,307Chief of Staff

You know you're a Bond fan when....

The UK Chancellor, currently making a budget speech, mentions Fleming and you start to smile before realising he's talking about the man who discovered penicillin.

"Only with Conservatives do you get both." 😉

Has anyone else been enjoying comedian Joe Lycett's Bond villain-style ultimatum to gay icon David Beckham for doing PR for Quatar?

Here's his latest missive:

https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1594657948525289473

Roger Moore 1927-2017

I have a James Bond-related question, but it's too random to start a seperate thread for. In TLD there's a scene in Bratislava just after Kara is arrested by the KGB where Bond looks for somewhere to look for her rifle in her cello case. He spots a man walking out of a door marked "WC MUZI". The next door is marked "WC ZENY". I assume Zeni and MUZI is Slovak for Ladies and Gentlemen. My question is: was the abrivation WC used in Warsaw Pact countries? It comes from two English words after all.

In my opinion just yet another social media savvy self-publicist who wants to make a name for himself by jumping on a bandwagon.

Why they gave the World Cup to somewhere as inherently unsuitable for a major sporting event as Qatar is anyone's guess, but no doubt corruption and bribery had a role to play. I'm sure it'll all come out in the post-match analysis...

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,562Chief of Staff
    edited November 2022

Lycett. It was obviously all just a publicity stunt as I'm sure nobody really believed he'd shred up a real £10,000. There's something to be said for those who support charities and good causes anonymously and quietly without theatrically making a song and dance about it. Sadly those days seem to be in the past, replaced instead with virtue-signalling and self-promotion.

For me Lycett is one of the good guys…he’d already donated £10k to LGTBQ+ charities…it’s not the first time he’s called people out - and it won’t be the last….Beckham trousered £10m for whitewashing Qatar…he’s the real savvy self-publicist in all this 😡

YNWA 97

Yes, Beckham is shameless. I just found it a little disingenuous or possibly even niave of Lycett to think that someone who loved money as much as Beckham would ever turn away a multi-million pound deal because he was going to shred £10,000. That'd be a drop in the ocean to Beckham. I've read his sticking by the Qatar deal has dented his image. He's certainly not as popular as he seemed to be when he "queued like everyone else" to see HM the Queen lying in state.

I imagine Lycett knew full well Beckham wouldn’t engage with him at all…it’s a way of getting more publicity for a VERY worthy cause…

You should see some of the propaganda…errr, promotional videos that Beckham has filmed of behalf of Qatar…😳

YNWA 97

Well, that's fair enough then. I'm no big football fan or expert but I was aware of Lycett's ultimatum.

I'm not at all surprised about Beckham. It seems you can never have enough money, especially if you have to stoop to whitewashing Qatar. In my opinion it should've never had the World Cup awarded to it in the first place.

Downtown Bergen last night.

Not everyone checks out Events page so here we are: No Time To Die premieres on UK TV on New Year's Day.

https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/james-bond-movies-tv-christmas/

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,307Chief of Staff

Oh, you've noticed? Sir Miles and I have been very busy recently dealing with that.

SMERSH = Spam Mails Emerging from Russian Sources and Handlers

Good to see that the spam issue is being tackled. That said, I've not seen any myself although that's surely down to the quick thinking actions of our mod team in taking it down.

It’s more to do with hundreds - yes hundreds - of fake account’s registered every few days 🫣

YNWA 97

I'd like to congratulate the three recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize today. One organization working for democracy in Belarus, one doing the same in Russia as well as gathering evidence on Stalin's crimes and one working with war crimes in Ukraine. The speech for the Ukrainian organisation made by a young woman was particularly good.