Last film seen...

Comments

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Did anybody here see Alien in the cinema upon its original release? Must have been pretty damn cool back in the day

I saw it at the Odeon West End London on on its initial release back in '79 - it was bloody terrifying. The dialogue was so realistic and the characters so believable that it was elevated from a standard Creature Feature to an absolute classic. The sense of claustrophobia and helplessness among the crew were palpable and the Alien design has IMO never been bettered. And the fact that here was the first film where a heroine rather than a hero triumphs was brilliant.

I saw it in the States when it first opened and I was completely awed. The sense of dread was palpable throughtout the movie and I agree that the dialogue had a very naturalistic feel to it. I was always a big fan of Yaphett Kotto and I really enjoyed his role. Plus I was glad to see that for once the Black guy didn't die first! :)) I was also very impressed by Sigourney Weaver. It was my first time seeing her and I thought she played the intelligent and tough Ripley brilliantly. Alien is still one of my top two or three sci-fi movies, although it could easily be considered a horror film as well.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Did anybody here see Alien in the cinema upon its original release? Must have been pretty damn cool back in the day

I saw it at the Odeon West End London on on its initial release back in '79 - it was bloody terrifying. The dialogue was so realistic and the characters so believable that it was elevated from a standard Creature Feature to an absolute classic. The sense of claustrophobia and helplessness among the crew were palpable and the Alien design has IMO never been bettered. And the fact that here was the first film where a heroine rather than a hero triumphs was brilliant.

I saw it in the States when it first opened and I was completely awed. The sense of dread was palpable throughtout the movie and I agree that the dialogue had a very naturalistic feel to it. I was always a big fan of Yaphett Kotto and I really enjoyed his role. Plus I was glad to see that for once the Black guy didn't die first! :)) I was also very impressed by Sigourney Weaver. It was my first time seeing her and I thought she played the intelligent and tough Ripley brilliantly. Alien is still one of my top two or three sci-fi movies, although it could easily be considered a horror film as well.

Interesting indeed, guess these days its hard to be impressed / scared etc as everything has been done to death.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Dirty, Filthy Nurses 2 - The Rise of MRSA
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The Lone Ranger :
    As others have pointed out, not a great movie ( boy does the story ramble on ).
    A few good set pieces, but at least half an hour could've been cut from the
    running time.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Just saw X-Men: Days of Future Past and I thought it was a very good addition to the X-Men film series. X-2: X-Men United is still my favorite, but this latest entry has a lot going for it. An interesting, although convoluted plot, good acting and exciting action sequences. Although it didn't quite blow me away like I hoped it would, I was thoroughly entertained. And the Quicksilver character, who seemed rather silly-looking to me in the photos and short clips I saw, was an extremely refreshing surprise. His action sequence was definitely a highlight of the movie. If I were to give it a rating I'd give this movie three and one-half stars out of five.
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Watched an old Australian film called Tim starring Mel Gibson. He plays a handyman with a learning disability who falls in love with an older woman who's a teacher. It was one of Gibson's early roles and it was filmed in the same year as Mad Max.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    Hitchcock :
    Despite the great cast of Antony Hopkings etc, It felt just like any other Bio-Pic, quite average IMHO.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Godzilla, much much better the 1998 Edition
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I haven't seen it yet But I have heard good things about the new Godzilla, so I think I'll
    give it a go. -{
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I hired "12 years a slave last night" one of the best films ive seen for ages ,and suprising some one touched on this subject ,made the film and got away with it ,it could have gone tits up ,but Mqueen has triumphed in this adaptation of a true story about
    one of the more darker periods of our history (there is now singular blame country wise ) everyone is guilty I urge you all to see this film
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    On a completely different vein ..............

MIB3, fun movie, not brilliant but nothing to upset anyone. Will Smith is his
    Usual wise cracking self but damn hasn't Tommy Lee Jones got old. :#
    I play a game with films for my kids in always trying to find a tiny Bond
    connection. With MIB3, I pointed out to my Daughters that Josh Brolin's
    Dad, screen tested for Bond. :))
    On a completely different vein ..............

MIB3, fun movie, not brilliant but nothing to upset anyone. Will Smith is his
    Usual wise cracking self but damn hasn't Tommy Lee Jones got old. :#
    I play a game with films for my kids in always trying to find a tiny Bond
    connection. With MIB3, I pointed out to my Daughters that Josh Brolin's
    Dad, screen tested for Bond. :))

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when you told your daughters that Josh Brolin fact
    if they are any thing like my one ,I would expect the words Life dad get one :))
    :)) like all Dads I love annoying them, if after one of my ( very interesting ) facts
    or jokes,if I don't see them rolling their eyes. I feel I've failed :)) I joke with them
    that's it all good training for them for when the Alzheimer's kicks in. :D
    I feel sorry for your Kids :))
    .. Most people do ! :#
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Iron man 3.

Utterly ridiculous, but massively entertaining, and very funny.

One of the best movies I've seen in a while, and I wasn't expecting it to be so. :D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    Iron man 3.

One of the best movies I've seen in a while, and I wasn't expecting it to be so. :D

I enjoyed it (fan of the first but not the second) however hated the end where there were a zillion iron Man suits flying around remotely!! I dont mind daft but not keen on Very daft lol
    I also enjoyed Ironman 3 -{ thought it was great fun. :D
    Muppets Most Wanted

Took the kids to the cinema to see this last weekend. It was pretty dire and felt crazy low budget compared to the comeback film a few years back with Amy Adams and Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory. This time we had Ricky Gervais who was terrible (has he really done anything good since The Office?)

Anyhow even my little one thought it was crap :))
    Lexi wrote:
    Iron man 3.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 quite a bit, too. And unlike many other fans, I was not infuriated by the Mandarin reveal, mostly because of the brilliance of Ben Kingsley's performance. That was the highlight of the film for me.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,590Chief of Staff
    And unlike many other fans, I was not infuriated by the Mandarin reveal, mostly because of the brilliance of Ben Kingsley's performance. That was the highlight of the film for me.

That and the fact he was a Liverpool fan :D
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Iron man 3.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 quite a bit, too. And unlike many other fans, I was not infuriated by the Mandarin reveal, mostly because of the brilliance of Ben Kingsley's performance. That was the highlight of the film for me.

I thought that was one of the best parts of the movie tbh! Brilliantly acted...
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Watched The pirates of the Caribbean, don't know which one but
    It had Black beard and the fountain of youth in it. As always great
    Fun and very entertaining, some of the action/chase scenes were full
    Of imagination. {[]
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    Iron man 3.

I thought that was one of the best parts of the movie tbh! Brilliantly acted...

Yes, me too - a brilliant twist and one I never saw coming!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    total recall last night ,still a good film
    I'm guessing it was the original film and not the remake ?
    I'm guessing it was the original film and not the remake ?

yes it was the Arnie version , I want to see the re-make as some of it was filmed in Toronto
    I enjoyed the remake, some great action set pieces and the sets/ design
    Is fantastic.
    Whitehouse down :
    Great fun, a good mix of action and comedy. Can't help thinking with
    All these films about the Whitehouse being attacked, we in the UK are
    Missing out, how I long to see Dave Cameron and Nick Clegg, standing
    Shoulder to shoulder, in white Vests and firing machine guns to protect
    10 Downing St. :))
    My connection to the film, is that the general who burned the white house
    Gen Ross, basically came from my home town. :D. A long time ago, obviously.
    Whitehouse down :
    Great fun, a good mix of action and comedy. Can't help thinking with
    All these films about the Whitehouse being attacked, we in the UK are
    Missing out, how I long to see Dave Cameron and Nick Clegg, standing
    Shoulder to shoulder, in white Vests and firing machine guns to protect
    10 Downing St. :))
    My connection to the film, is that the general who burned the white house
    Gen Ross, basically came from my home town. :D. A long time ago, obviously.

Is that the one where they are hammering around on the Whitehouse lawn in the limo or whatever whilst getting shot at?