Last film seen...

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes, all silly over the top stuff, but I was in the mood for it tonight, sadly
    the wife wasn't so I decided to watch White house down instead. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Yes, all silly over the top stuff, but I was in the mood for it tonight, sadly
    the wife wasn't so I decided to watch White house down instead. :D

I saw bits of it falling in and out of consciousness! My missus likes those kind of films! It was a bit Die Hard wasn't it from what I saw!

Never had much luck with the other similar Whitehouse one - passed out straight away. Christ I'm terrible at falling asleep thru rental DVDs :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Just watching the Sum of all Fears, and noticed the old Russian President
    Is played by the late Richard Marner, who played a Russian tec, doing the
    countdown in YOLT.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Whitehouse down :
    Great fun, a good mix of action and comedy. Can't help thinking with
    All these films about the Whitehouse being attacked, we in the UK are
    Missing out, how I long to see Dave Cameron and Nick Clegg, standing
    Shoulder to shoulder, in white Vests and firing machine guns to protect
    10 Downing St. :))
    My connection to the film, is that the general who burned the white house
    Gen Ross, basically came from my home town. :D. A long time ago, obviously.

So, were you childhood friends? ;)
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Certainty not, .............. I taught him at school . :))
    Death Race 3 (seriously I did not buy or rent it but it was on one of the movie channels)

Again I was dozing off however noticed the dude from Bros was the main star!!! Remember watching the original death race (not the remake) - hilarious viewing with Stallone and co!

I highly (dont) recommend it!!!

Off to the cinema tomorrow to watch the new X-Men (with both sets of cast). Anybody seen it????

I loved the first one (First Class), Fassbender was ace in it. The other X-Men (Wolverine and co) have churned out too much now and the spin offs have been shocking, will be interesting to see how both sets of cast appear in the same film. Hope its good!
    I loved the original Death Race, remember sneaking in to watch it
    At the cinema ( as I was far too young to watch it ) but I remember
    Reading all the fuss in the papers over it, so had to see it. :))
    Noticed on Google there was some poll recently claiming The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest movie of all time (didn't pay attention to who conducted the poll!)

Now I am a huge Star Wars fan, obsessed when I was a kid like most of that era, however I guess that the 1000000th viewing of the films has finally worn me down as I have not felt the urge to watch any of them much since the new trilogy tainted it for me. Anyhow after reading this poll I decided to watch it on the Apple TV whilst lazing around on Sunday. It is a rather epic film but I must admit I far prefer A New Hope which started the whole thing.

Anyhow after Empire I followed up with Return of The Jedi, however it really dawned on me (again) how Lucas really screwed up these great films with his mid 90's Special Editions. Now I'm not anti-CGI but merging the puppets and CGI together just doesn't work at all, the CGI looks soooo far out of place on these old films and the puppets are part of the charm. Simple things like fake CGI windows inserted into cloud city which was a blank wall etc looks naff as hell and the whole new Return Of The Jedi celebration ending which features the fake CGI worlds of the prequel trilogy look even more ridiculous (even spotted the Jar Jar and co chucked in).

What was he thinking???? Butchered!!

Coincidentally last night the missus was reading the news on her iPad and passed it to me as she came across a new Star Wars article with leaks from the new set. It claims they are putting puppets back into the film instead of using heavy CGI. I hope this is the case as the masks / puppets is part of the Star Wars character, CGI is just killing films for me.

I think the only time I've really been impressed with CGI characters was when I first saw Gollum in The Two Towers.

Anyhow is the Original Trilogy theatrical versions (non special edition) out on Blu Ray? I guess they never will be and my childhood memories of Solo shooting Greedo first will never be re-lived unless I dig out the VHS :))
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    There are Films far better then Star Wars, I've always found them to be stupidly overrated :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Death Race 3 (seriously I did not buy or rent it but it was on one of the movie channels)

Again I was dozing off however noticed the dude from Bros was the main star!!! Remember watching the original death race (not the remake) - hilarious viewing with Stallone and co!

I highly (dont) recommend it!!!

Off to the cinema tomorrow to watch the new X-Men (with both sets of cast). Anybody seen it????

I loved the first one (First Class), Fassbender was ace in it. The other X-Men (Wolverine and co) have churned out too much now and the spin offs have been shocking, will be interesting to see how both sets of cast appear in the same film. Hope its good!

X-Men: Days of Future Past is terrific and if you enjoyed X-Men: First Class, I'm confident you will enjoy the new one as well.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,884Chief of Staff
    Diane (1956), with Lana Turner as the powerful mistress of France's King Henry II, who apparently manages to stay sweet and innocent while wrecking marriages and causing political havoc. I DVR'd this one because of its Bond connections--Pedro Armendariz is King Francois I, while callow young Roger Moore plays Henri--and I regretted it: this is one of those huge Technicolor epics they spun out in the '50s, but Ivanhoe it ain't. The acting is limp, the script (by Christopher Isherwood) is dull and talky, and everything--including Roger Moore--is so gosh-darned pretty you have to wonder how the Black Death managed to flourish. My grade: Zzzzzzzz. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Oblivion

I generally dislike sci-fi action films and recent Tom Cruise movies. Yet I stumbled upon this while channel-surfing over the weekend, and it kept my attention. The plot is full of holes and cliches, but the CGI is quite good, and there was enough tension in the script that I actually enjoyed it. Or maybe it was just Olga Kurylenko! :x

Anyway, better than I was expecting. Cruise is actually good at this sort of thing.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    I thought Oblivion was excellent - I avoided it on its cinema release as assumed it would be crap! Pleasant surprise!

His new sic-fi one looks a bit naff though
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,661Chief of Staff
    I waited for Oblivion to come on Sky Movies...it was enjoyable enough - it was actually a decent premise...

I do like the sound of his new one more though....
    YNWA 97
    I too caught it on sky movies, thought it was pretty good but a couple
    Of friends have told me " Edge of tomorrow " is a bit disappointing.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,283MI6 Agent
    edited June 2014
    I got to see Edge of Tomorrow (in Imax 3D) yesterday with my brother.

The plot can be described as Groundhog Day mixed with liberal does of Aliens as Tom Cruise plays William Cage, a reluctant soldier inexplicably reliving the same day - a disastrous assault against a seemingly invincible alien foe on a European beach - over and over again. With each reset and the help of warrior babe Emily Blunt, our hero becomes a better soldier (and a better person) while slowly beginning to understand the nature of the enemy.

The movie uses its premise to good effect, cleverly altering more and more details with each pass thru the same day. Cage's repeated encounters with certain characters and often unsuccessful attempts at figuring out what to do or where to go next lead to a lot of funny moments. I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan but he, along with the rest of the cast, are quite good and I quickly became invested in the main characters.

The 3D is also used to good effect, especially during the epic battle on a beach which occupies a good chunk of the film, throwing all manner of debris toward the viewer to further pull you into the story.

Definitely worth a look for action/sci-fi fans in my opinion.
    Yeah, Cruise has done quite a lot of SCI-FI Films as of late.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    He's becoming Charlton Heston. :))
    Elysium :
    Great action SiFi movie ( oddly not with Tom Cruise :)) ) with Matt Damon
    Fighting against the odds to help the poor and sick in the future. Although
    Watching it, I couldn't help but think the gap between the rich and the poor
    Shown in the film wasn't too far away from what actually exists Today. :#
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    Godzilla. Very boring, but I loved the Godzilla monster itself. Really good.
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    I though it was good -{ Much better then the 1998 Film
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    I know the film is not out yet, but having read the book, which is brilliant.

I will be going to see 'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared'
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    Wolverine :
    Much as I like the character, I found this movie a little below par.
    You can easily work out the few twists. Although as pointed out before
    There is a scene taken straight out of DAF. :))
    " I didn't know there was a pool down there !"
    Yeah, I remember them taking that Line from DAF -{
    Pacific Rim :

Great Sifi fun, huge robots fighting huge monsters, it's every ten year olds dream. :))
    Brilliant special effects, basically it's Transformers meets Independence day. ;)
    Idris Elba, gives a commanding performance and a guest spot from Ron Perlman.
    TP bringing out the Inner Child -{
    Monsters v Robots, what's not to like. :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Pacific Rim :

Great Sifi fun, huge robots fighting huge monsters, it's every ten year olds dream. :))
    Brilliant special effects, basically it's Transformers meets Independence day. ;)
    Idris Elba, gives a commanding performance and a guest spot from Ron Perlman.

I loved it! -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I'm watching Machete again and have to say if you've never seen it you're
    Missing one of the funniest, bloodiest over the top action film ever -{
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    I know the film is not out yet, but having read the book, which is brilliant.

I will be going to see 'The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared'

I've seen it and enjoyed it. you could call it a Swedish Forrest Gump.
    I also saw Edge of Tomorow. It's on eof the best action movies I have seen for some time.