Bond Girl Style Watercooler

Comments

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    There was a nice little article in The Daily Mail today comparing Gemma Artertons premier outfit to some of the previous Bond Girls ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1081932/Dressed-thrill-As-new-Bond-girl-Gemma-Arterton-creates-stir-red-carpet-does-compare-previous-007-beauties-.html
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Sorry for the intrusion ladies, but I just wanted to mention that my wife got her Avon catalog over the weekend, and the James Bond Girl perfume was on the cover. It came with a little scratch and sniff thing which I checked out. For what it is worth, I liked the scent.

Carry on!
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Sorry for the intrusion ladies, but I just wanted to mention that my wife got her Avon catalog over the weekend, and the James Bond Girl perfume was on the cover. It came with a little scratch and sniff thing which I checked out. For what it is worth, I liked the scent.

Yes, it is nice..I bought the perfume a while ago...and it's really different. I like the fact that it can be used for day or night..so versatile too, and the mirror and lipstick are a great little bonus...:D
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

Yes, it is nice..I bought the perfume a while ago...and it's really different. I like the fact that it can be used for day or night..so versatile too, and the mirror and lipstick are a great little bonus...:D

Damn, I've been away for far too long and I have neglected the thread, but I promise I will go back and read everything now.

Avon sells a Bond girl fragrance?!??! :O Isn't that a tad too "mass market" for a Bond girl? Anyway, I am such a difficult client with fragrances at al that I only find one every x years that I like. And my current one (has been for a few years) is a Ralph Lauren one. But I'm curious, I will check this Bond girl one out. :D

About the sandals, I will comment later... MAJOR turn on accessory my darlings.... more than you would imagine :)) :))
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
  • ClaireClaire Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Wow! I am so glad to have discovered this forum--and this thread in particular, I've planned several Bond fantasy adventures for him over the years, so I know this forum will be a great resource for me. But I digress.

Grazie mille to Alessandra for starting this Bond Girl style thread. I blog about shoes and I was researching Bond Girl shoes for a new post I'm doing, when I landed on your discussion. I read every post in this thread and I feel like I've found some new shoe sisters!

I haven't had much success tracking down designers for Bond Girl shoes in QOS. Do you have any leads on that? Since the movie isn't out until later in the week (for those of us in the States) I haven't had the chance to personally see the newest shoes. But I did see the ones Gemma wore at the premier with that uh, interesting, uh, purple dress. I would love to get a designer on those shoes she wore. Maybe one of you know. Here's the link again, for a shoe photo:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1081932/Dressed-thrill-As-new-Bond-girl-Gemma-Arterton-creates-stir-red-carpet-does-compare-previous-007-beauties-.html
    Claire wrote:
    Wow! I am so glad to have discovered this forum--and this thread in particular, I've planned several Bond fantasy adventures for him over the years, so I know this forum will be a great resource for me. But I digress.

Grazie mille to Alessandra for starting this Bond Girl style thread. I blog about shoes and I was researching Bond Girl shoes for a new post I'm doing, when I landed on your discussion. I read every post in this thread and I feel like I've found some new shoe sisters!

I haven't had much success tracking down designers for Bond Girl shoes in QOS. Do you have any leads on that? Since the movie isn't out until later in the week (for those of us in the States) I haven't had the chance to personally see the newest shoes. But I did see the ones Gemma wore at the premier with that uh, interesting, uh, purple dress. I would love to get a designer on those shoes she wore. Maybe one of you know. Here's the link again, for a shoe photo:

Claire hi! And welcome! :D I think between all of us you INDEED have found new shoe sisters?? :)) :))

The link that Lady Rose provided for the outfits of the Bond girls shows quite a lot of their shoes .... and an awful lot of APPALING outfits I'm afraid! Yikes! :o:o

"Interesting" purple dress?? You've been kind :)) :)) My goodness, I can't even begin to say how totally wrong that whole outfit is??! :O I guess my main gripe there is I find it extremely unclassy.. which is just not right for a Bond girl.

I love Halle Berry and Rosamunde Pike, both are very classy. And Talisa Soto as well, she looks great. Love Claudine Anger too.. very classy. The others? Some are acceptable (Famke Janssen, Teri Hatcher) others are just.. excruciatingly bad! Including Eva Green as far as I'm concerned! What a uselessly baroque style for such a thing :O

About the shoes, it's really difficult to find out because a lot are custom-made for the movie I think... I will try and do research on those sandals with the "interesting" purple dress. :))

I have seen a lot of similar ones here, but not the exact same, from different designers... let's see if I can dig up anything.. :D
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
    edited November 2008
    For now I can tell you that the WHOLE Bond suite at Hotel Bolivar in Panama has Made in Italy furniture and accessories.. all designed by B&B Italia (a furniture brand that I ADORE). No news on the sandals, but I'm working on it :D

Ok the purple dress she's wearing is BALMAIN (French haute couture).. I'm wondering whether the sandals are Balmain as well? Matching the belt? (unfortunately :))). So far the only info I could find is on the dress.

ETA: and I made it! According to her fansite, Arterton was wearing Balmain spring 2009 dress and sandals by.. (GASP!) MIU MIU. Now I know why I like Prada a lot, but not Miu Miu despite it being from the same fashion house :)) :)) Those sandals have gotten pretty interesting definitions over here, none of which is good to report here :)) :))
    By the way - does this mean we may get some makeover / fashion show snapshots in here? :007)

how did I miss this?? :)) :)) Nice try huh?? :)) Hey we may post some shoes, outfits and whatnot photos if we get our paws on them :)) I surely would in Sergio Rossi sandals :))

Now seriously, who knows, we might get devious enough to post photos... IF we get a discount at retailers for luxury shoes in exchange? :v

Claire, I'm having a look at Miu Miu to see if I can find the sandals in the Arterton photo. I confirm that her fansite says she was wearing the Balmain spring 2009 dress plus Miu Miu (so Miu Miu has got to be the sandals). I will check if I can verify this further :D
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Hello! I realize I may be way out of my depth here, but I just want to contribute my 2 cents to this thread in saying that I love whatever Sophie Marceau wore in TWINE. She always looked classy and sexy in that movie.

Then again, my view about the clothes may be slightly biased by how I feel about the person wearing them ;%
    edited November 2008
    Alessandra wrote:
    "Interesting" purple dress?? You've been kind :)) :)) My goodness, I can't even begin to say how totally wrong that whole outfit is??! :O I guess my main gripe there is I find it extremely unclassy.. which is just not right for a Bond girl.

About the shoes, it's really difficult to find out because a lot are custom-made for the movie I think... I will try and do research on those sandals with the "interesting" purple dress. :))

I have seen a lot of similar ones here, but not the exact same, from different designers... let's see if I can dig up anything.. :D

Thanks. I had originally heard the *interesting* purple frock was Balmain--I think I may even have seen a runway shot of it--but links here: http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/fashion/press/081103-westfield-opens.aspx?DisplayComments=true and here: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femail/article-1081932/Dressed-thrill-As-new-Bond-girl-Gemma-Arterton-creates-stir-red-carpet-does-compare-previous-007-beauties-.html and here: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femail/article-1082201/A-girl-typifies-new-female-vulgarians.html -- say the dress in Miu Miu, so there are conflicting reports. Anyway, I am definitely not enthralled with the dress, but I would like to know if the shoes are from a ready-to-wear collection.

Alessandra, I am also a Sergio Rossi fan. And I was just over there a few months back--Lake Como. Next time I will arrange to meet up with you for certain, for sure! We would have such fun together!
    edited November 2008
    Alessandra wrote:

This link says the shoes are from the same Balmain collection: http://www.shoewawa.com/2008/10/guess_whose_sho_28.html. Still, I would like to see confirmation of this, especially since the dress has been widely attributed to two designers. :))
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Alessandra wrote:
    "Interesting" purple dress?? You've been kind My goodness, I can't even begin to say how totally wrong that whole outfit is??! I guess my main gripe there is I find it extremely unclassy.. which is just not right for a Bond girl.

:)) I really hate Gemma's dress. The color is actually pretty on her...but the cut..ugh...just ugh. I think those shoes have to be custom because they so perfectly..and oddly, match her belt! She has such pretty legs, I can see her wanting to show them off...but it's just wrong. It's funny, you don't see Olga's photo in that article, her red dress was quite lovely on her.

That was a great article Lady Rose..so fun to see their premiere outifts back in the day. The one I was the most taken with was Domino herself, Claudine Auger, she looked gorgeous. I also liked Talisa Soto's and Diana Rigg's dresses, even though they were both panned, they were reminiscent of their time period, unlike poor Gemma's! :)) I thought Britt Ekland looked very elegant too. The worst ones? Teri Hatcher...just awful, and the stunning Sophie Marceau. What was up with that floral number? So not her! Eva's was terrible too as well as Maud Adams!! :o

Hello! I realize I may be way out of my depth here, but I just want to contribute my 2 cents to this thread in saying that I love whatever Sophie Marceau wore in TWINE. She always looked classy and sexy in that movie.

Then again, my view about the clothes may be slightly biased by how I feel about the person wearing them ;%

I agree about Sophie in TWINE frostbitten, she looked fantastic. Did you happen to see her "wardrobe malfunction" at Cannes a few years ago on the red carpet? I have the clip somewhere, the strap of her dress fell down and exposed..everything!! She handled it with such ease and grace though! Europeans are so well adjusted about nudity! :))
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:

I agree about Sophie in TWINE frostbitten, she looked fantastic. Did you happen to see her "wardrobe malfunction" at Cannes a few years ago on the red carpet? I have the clip somewhere, the strap of her dress fell down and exposed..everything!! She handled it with such ease and grace though! Europeans are so well adjusted about nudity! :))

Hi Monique. I heard something about that incident, but I don't have any clip. You mean everything was exposed? :o Actually, maybe I should not view any such clip, or I might get a heart attack :)) I'm still recovering from seeing one of the scenes of her and Renard LOL

You're right about Europeans being so much more at ease with nudity than Americans. I still remember the first time I went to France (a long time ago), I was amazed by what was shown on TV during prime time, and by what was shown at some beaches all of the time! :))
    Claire wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:

This link says the shoes are from the same Balmain collection: http://www.shoewawa.com/2008/10/guess_whose_sho_28.html. Still, I would like to see confirmation of this, especially since the dress has been widely attributed to two designers. :))

Claire: Monique, Lady Rose and I have already decided to have a Sergio Rossi meeting over here whenever they make it, so I'm SURE you'd fit right in :)) :)) :)) Ah, the Bond girl meetings, ONLY for shoe- and handbag-obsessed :)) :)) :))

I think the mistake about the dress generated from her fansite.. they CLEARLY say the dress is Balmain, and afterwards they say she was wearing Miu Miu, so some people just mixed up things. The dress is definitely Balmain. I would think it makes sense for the shoes to be Balmain as well seen as they're matching the belt which is part of the outfit. Isn't there a way to find out, on Style.com for example where they have all the runway shows?? I will check. :D

Also, I know it is a freaking stupid question especially after those uhm.. 3 years or so I've been on here, but.. HOW DO I MULTIQUOTE?!? It's driving me nuts to be forced to edit posts all the time to go back and quote!! X-(
    Monique wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    "Interesting" purple dress?? You've been kind My goodness, I can't even begin to say how totally wrong that whole outfit is??! I guess my main gripe there is I find it extremely unclassy.. which is just not right for a Bond girl.

:)) I really hate Gemma's dress. The color is actually pretty on her...but the cut..ugh...just ugh. I think those shoes have to be custom because they so perfectly..and oddly, match her belt! She has such pretty legs, I can see her wanting to show them off...but it's just wrong. It's funny, you don't see Olga's photo in that article, her red dress was quite lovely on her.

That was a great article Lady Rose..so fun to see their premiere outifts back in the day. The one I was the most taken with was Domino herself, Claudine Auger, she looked gorgeous. I also liked Talisa Soto's and Diana Rigg's dresses, even though they were both panned, they were reminiscent of their time period, unlike poor Gemma's! :)) I thought Britt Ekland looked very elegant too. The worst ones? Teri Hatcher...just awful, and the stunning Sophie Marceau. What was up with that floral number? So not her! Eva's was terrible too as well as Maud Adams!! :o

I completely agree Monique. Claudine Anger is by far the classiest of them all there. I also like Talisa Soto's dress... and seriously, what is up with Sophie's floral number?? Yikes! Eva Green's was terrible.. yes and Maud Adams too. Basically most of them, but a few exceptions. I also really liked Halle Berry and Rosamunde Pike. The rest is better forgotten :)) :))

Arterton's dress? Horrid. And I'll leave it at that :))

Monique wrote:

:)) hey, so we're not that prude. Doesn't mean we go around naked the whole time! :)) :)) I would definitely be extremely embarassed if something like that happened to me!! ;%;% Still yes we are well adjusted about nudity. If it's good-looking people :)) :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    I must confess, that from a male point of view :D I liked the first pic from her at the premiere very much ;%

GA.jpg

As I went a little bit further with the topic, I was not too embarrased ;% but had to remind, what someone said once about a dress: It is there to underline the positive sides of a lady and not to reveal her.

It certainly underlines her advantages ;% that's all I can say.

And by the way: I still can't see any shoes in these pics... :s
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Alessandra wrote:
    I completely agree Monique. Claudine Anger is by far the classiest of them all there. I also like Talisa Soto's dress... and seriously, what is up with Sophie's floral number?? Yikes! Eva Green's was terrible.. yes and Maud Adams too. Basically most of them, but a few exceptions. I also really liked Halle Berry and Rosamunde Pike. The rest is better forgotten :)) :))

I concur with both of you. I cant believe so many of them get it so wrong. Some of them seriously need a best friend :))
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I hated Gemma's premiere dress; it made her look cheap, but got her the photos, which I presume was the intention. Olga's was pretty horrific too.

But nothing can beat Eva's horrific ensembles at CR's premiere. Nothing...

http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_yourself/2006/11/fugga-green.html#more
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I must confess, that from a male point of view :D I liked the first pic from her at the premiere very much ;%

GA.jpg
    \

And by the way: I still can't see any shoes in these pics... :s

Bondtoys, the Gemma photo you posted is much more flattering than the widely viewed shot posted at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1081932/Dressed-thrill-As-new-Bond-girl-Gemma-Arterton-creates-stir-red-carpet-does-compare-previous-007-beauties-.html Even the color of the dress comes across better, and the side view shows off the lines of the design more favorably--kind of has a superhero flowing cape feel to it in that shot.

Follow the link above for a glimpse of the shoes.
    edited November 2008
    Alessandra wrote:
    Claire: Monique, Lady Rose and I have already decided to have a Sergio Rossi meeting over here whenever they make it, so I'm SURE you'd fit right in :)) :)) :)) Ah, the Bond girl meetings, ONLY for shoe- and handbag-obsessed :)) :)) :))

I'd love, love, love to join you Bond girls for a Sergio Rossi rendezvous!
    I've read that in QOS, Olga Kurylenko wears heels by Gina with a sleeveless black Prada dress and Gemma wears knee-high boots with a Burberry trench. Any leads on this footwear? Two more days...
    Claire wrote:
    Bondtoys, the Gemma photo you posted is much more flattering than the widely viewed shot posted at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1081932/Dressed-thrill-As-new-Bond-girl-Gemma-Arterton-creates-stir-red-carpet-does-compare-previous-007-beauties-.html Even the color of the dress comes across better, and the side view shows off the lines of the design more favorably--kind of has a superhero flowing cape feel to it in that shot.

Thanks Claire, but I still can't see any shoes in the mentioned link ;%

Bondtoys wrote:
    Claire wrote:

Thanks Claire, but I still can't see any shoes in the mentioned link ;%

Ahem... STOP focusing on other things, you WILL see the shoes :)) :)) :))
    edited November 2008
    I have tried so, but failed completely :))

I think, it's like you show chicken beef and corn to a cat. What are the chances, that the cat gets the corn at first ;%

Lady Rose wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:

I concur with both of you. I cant believe so many of them get it so wrong. Some of them seriously need a best friend :))

:)) yes and not one who tells them "Fabulous, FAAAABULOUS darling" no matter what they wear! Don't these people have ridiculously high-priced stylists looking after them? I know I should listen to my friends in London and New York and become a personal shopper for celebrities, I just know!! :)) :)) Sure as hell wouldn't let a Bond girl land on the red carpet with that purple number! :s
    I hated Gemma's premiere dress; it made her look cheap, but got her the photos, which I presume was the intention. Olga's was pretty horrific too.

But nothing can beat Eva's horrific ensembles at CR's premiere. Nothing...
    http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_yourself/2006/11/fugga-green.html#more

Good Lord, I think you're right. It was in the photos of the bad outfits, but this one underlines the "fugliness" of it all even more. How can someone who uses IMAGE for their job pick something so wrong on so many levels it's impossible to list them all?? Dress, accessories, makeup, hair. She didn't get ONE thing right!!:o

Ok at this point: list is open for those who are up for a Sergio Rossi (and Prada, Gucci, Valentino, Armani plus other Italian shoe brands I will get you guys to know) meeting in Italy. All the Bond girls are invited. Also Bond boys who may be interested in making their significant other a true Bond girl? :)) :))

Seriously! Message me with password "Rossi, Sergio Rossi" :)) :)) I will compile a list and we shall come up with a plan. :v
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I have tried so, but failed completely :))

Why am I NOT surprised... :)) :)) :))
    Claire wrote:
    I've read that in QOS, Olga Kurylenko wears heels by Gina with a sleeveless black Prada dress and Gemma wears knee-high boots with a Burberry trench. Any leads on this footwear? Two more days...

The CREASED Burberry trench appears throughout.. definitely NOT a classy outlook for a Bond girl :s About the boots, I can't say who they were from I'm afraid. Any help on this Lady Rose (I'm asking her because I think her and I are the only two girls who saw the movie already in this thread?)
    Alessandra wrote:
    Claire wrote:

The CREASED Burberry trench appears throughout.. definitely NOT a classy outlook for a Bond girl :s About the boots, I can't say who they were from I'm afraid. Any help on this Lady Rose (I'm asking her because I think her and I are the only two girls who saw the movie already in this thread?)

No help with the boots I'm afraid.Not my specialist subject.

Have to agree it was a rather odd look for an agent ... it looked like she would be naked underneath and was about to 'surprise her man' ;)

Loved Olga's black dress though - fabulous :D

( Really liked her in the movie - one of my favourite Bond girls in my least favourite movie :o )
    edited November 2008
    Lady Rose wrote:

Have to agree it was a rather odd look for an agent ... it looked like she would be naked underneath and was about to 'surprise her man' ;)

That exactly was on my mind! I have wispered to my wife: "She's not gonna be flashing, won't she" :D

Bondtoys wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

That exactly was on my mind! I have wispered to my wife: "She's not gonna be flashing, won't she" :D

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Wasn't exactly what I thought. I was too distracted by the creased trench, that even made the Burberry number look bad. :O Also I was trying to not throw anything at the screen :)) :))

About the boots: no news yet, but I have a lead. I shall report back. MI6 Agent Alessandra on a mission :v