Bond Girl Style Watercooler

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Barbel wrote:
    Probably you, Alessandra- I've never seen Dirty Dancing[i/]! :))
    I have, and Jennifer Gray was a cutie :x

Every girl in my high school saw Dirty Dancing. Multiple times! They'd recite lines in the hallway and swoon over Patrick. My history class was punctuated with the Swayze. It was like Duran Duran came to town. ;)

Then he made Roadhouse and all the guys would recite it!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,358Chief of Staff
    Alex wrote:

Now that one I have seen. "Opinions vary" was the catchphrase, I think...?
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Barbel wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Hey, Lady Rose: "I carried a watermelon?" Is that a Mystery Men reference? {[]

Hmmm to me that is a very clear Dirty Dancing reference!!! It's a very famous line from the movie, when Baby meets with the Patrick Swayze character at the place where all the dance teachers, waiters etc go dancing between themselves at night. And when Patrick asks "what is she doing here?!" the cousin explains she helped and she goes "I carried a watermelon!" And then once he's gone, realising how stupid that sounds, she says to herself: "I carried a watermelon?"

I am curious to see who is right :)) :

The gold star goes to the lady in Italy !! {[]

It is indeed from Dirty Dancing, one of my all time favourite films ... Just cant get enough of Baby and Johnny :x

And for the record Barbel, I've never seen Mystery Men so we're quits :)) :))
    Lady Rose wrote:

Ah, then you have that treat to look forward to- it's a quirky look at superheroes which people either love or hate (hm, reminds me of some film recently...) depending on whether they have a weird enough sense of humour. Watch out for Ben Stiller and the watermelon... :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Barbel wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

Ah, then you have that treat to look forward to- it's a quirky look at superheroes which people either love or hate (hm, reminds me of some film recently...) depending on whether they have a weird enough sense of humour. Watch out for Ben Stiller and the watermelon... :D
    Can I just place myself in the group of who love it? :v It is a terrific film, but is very weird and shouldn't be taken too seriously. The great Geoffrey Rush plays Casanova Frankenstein, a truly wonderful villain. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Barbel wrote:
    Alex wrote:

Now that one I have seen. "Opinions vary" was the catchphrase, I think...?
    That's the one. A daft, enjoyable, over the-top, guy flick.

To me Swayze will always be Orry Main from the miniseries North And South. I really, really, liked that series! (every wednesday evening in Germany)

Then I bought the dvd, and, it .. all looked like television production values ... :#

(but thank goodness Leslie Anne Down's cleavage remained the same) ;)
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Hey Alex, did you ever post a review of QOS? I didn't see what you thought of it. You too Dan!
    Alex wrote:
    (but thank goodness Leslie Anne Down's cleavage remained the same) ;)

:)) Somehow she slipped under Bond's radar- a supporting part in the 70s while she was on her way up would have been nice.

(Btw, it's nice here by the girls' watercooler, ain't it? :D )
    edited November 2008
    I haven't seen QoS yet, Mo. :o :o I don't want to bore you with an explanation but I am currently without a vehicle. So the sad story is no ride, plus working nights so it's difficult. Hopefully some time soon I'll wheel some of my good friends. :)
    Barbel wrote:
    Yeah mate, pretty comfortable spot... :D
  • AlessandraAlessandra Lake Garda, ItalyPosts: 633MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    I have, and Jennifer Gray was a cutie :x

Every girl in my high school saw Dirty Dancing. Multiple times! They'd recite lines in the hallway and swoon over Patrick. My history class was punctuated with the Swayze. It was like Duran Duran came to town. ;)

Ohhhh now we're talking!! we must be the same age more or less?? :D (and I won't mention my age publicly, obviously :v)

It is indeed one of my favourite movies too. And... Alex, what do you think, Jennifer Gray with a different hairstyle and refined clothes.. could she have been a Bond girl? Hmm... that's an interesting type of woman to work on, to turn into a Bond girl. She had an AMAZING figure, that is for sure.

Ohhh North & South!! I had forgotten about that one and swooning over Patrick for THAT one too! :)) It's true, it's surprising to never have seen Leslie Ann Down as a Bond girl. I find she is a very attractive, and sexy with a hint of dangerous woman. But if I could pick someone I absolutely adore from TV series to play a Bond girl now (and she'd be great with ahem.. Henry Cavill), I would pick Minka Kelly from Friday Night Lights. I love her, and she is drop dead gorgeous. AND very good Bond girl material IMO. Peter Berg (the creator of Friday Night Lights) says that she's "gorgeous, but with a hint of she might kill you someday". Isn't that what being a Bond girl is all about? :D And she is VERY classy, she ALWAYS has great outfits on red carpets. Unlike ahem.. Gemma and Eva?? :)) :))
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Hey, Lady Rose: "I carried a watermelon?" Is that a Mystery Men reference? {[]

Hmmm to me that is a very clear Dirty Dancing reference!!! It's a very famous line from the movie, when Baby meets with the Patrick Swayze character at the place where all the dance teachers, waiters etc go dancing between themselves at night. And when Patrick asks "what is she doing here?!" the cousin explains she helped and she goes "I carried a watermelon!" And then once he's gone, realising how stupid that sounds, she says to herself: "I carried a watermelon?"

I am curious to see who is right :)) :

The gold star goes to the lady in Italy !! {[]

It is indeed from Dirty Dancing, one of my all time favourite films ... Just cant get enough of Baby and Johnny :x

Wooot! I KNEW we had to have that one in common too Lady Rose. I have the DVD, I had the original tape, I have the CD... both the white AND the blue one... obsessed much? :)) :)) I loved that movie and I still do, it's always a great treat, plus I love the soundtrack and I am in love with dance in general and latin dances in particular so... :D
    Alex wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

:D we aim to please gentlemen (ahem. ;% Forgot a "," in the middle there) :)) :))
    "Are we on coms?" (if you don't know where this is from... you've missed some really good stuff! :D)
    Alessandra wrote:
    :D we aim to please gentlemen (ahem. ;% Forgot a "," in the middle there) :)) :))

:)) :)) :)) Well, if I see any gentlemen I'll let them know- I doubt if I qualify on that score (go on, name the :007) film that comes from!) though I'm sure Alex does!
    When were you promoted Barbel? Must have missed that :)

I too loved Roadhouse but I always had this weird thing for Sam Elliot. Must be that mean moody thing he does.

Ah, the glory days of Patrick Swayze which culminated with the gorgeous 'Ghost'. I remember sobbing uncontrollably.He really did some great movies.
    edited November 2008
    Alex wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Its a place of respite for all as long as you can talk about chic flicks, shoes and handbags ;)

Oh, and dont forget to leave the place tidy and loo seat down :)) :))
    Barbel wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:

:)) :)) :)) Well, if I see any gentlemen I'll let them know- I doubt if I qualify on that score (go on, name the :007) film that comes from!) though I'm sure Alex does!

:)) :)) DAMN. I need my Bond girls to the rescue. I have an idea but I'm far from sure that is the correct one.. perhaps The Man with the Golden Gun? But I don't remember the full quote to be honest.

I think Thunderball had some of the BEST EVAH exchanges between Bond and the Bond girls. And well, Domino's Bond girl style? As we have previously discussed, Claudine was just divine :D I recollect a certain bikini photo? http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2857932800/tt0059800

:D
    Lady Rose wrote:
    When were you promoted Barbel? Must have missed that :)

A couple of months ago now, round about when my first article appeared here (I've written two more since, all on Bond music. And there are lots more to come...)- I can now leap over small buildings at a single bound, but run out of puff trying to race a speeding bullet.
    I failed the observation test then :))
    Alessandra wrote:
    I have an idea but I'm far from sure that is the correct one.. perhaps The Man with the Golden Gun?

{[] Nick Nack, prepare the celebratory meal! (But make sure it isn't Hai Fat) ;%
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Alex wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Its a place of respite for all as long as you can talk about chic flicks, shoes and handbags ;)

Oh, and dont forget to leave the place tidy and loo seat down :)) :))

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

I hadn't thought about how sad it is that Patrick Swayze is now so sick.. poor guy. I hope he recovers. It's really sad. :(

Barbel I thought you always were one of the big guns here? That's why I didn't notice the promotion? :)) All I know is I am always the one with WAAAYYY less experience and WAAAAYYYY fewer posts on here, so I'm always at the bottom of the ajb food chain :)) :)) :))

I love that bikini Auger has on. Isn't it still incredibly modern? Especially bearing into mind we've basically gotten back to bikini fits of the 60s lately.. :D And I love them! I also have a couple of very nice ones from an Italian brand called Pin Up Stars... the name says it all :)) They have gorgeous colours and materials, but wouldn't have been ok in the 60s, they aren't exactly very.. covering? :))

I think I found another Gemma gem. LOL. Need to figure out how to post it, if I can post the actual photo. Girl needs a stylist pronto. Or to call one of us! :))
    Barbel wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    I have an idea but I'm far from sure that is the correct one.. perhaps The Man with the Golden Gun?

{[] Nick Nack, prepare the celebratory meal! (But make sure it isn't Hai Fat) ;%

How exactly do you know that I can cook well? Family of gourmets/chefs here, and thank goodness I learnt well. Italian meal of course :D But modern, not just traditional :D
    Alessandra wrote:
    Barbel I thought you always were one of the big guns here? That's why I didn't notice the promotion? :))

Oh, I'm only a big gun in the music department, where I'm one of the resident boffins. Everywhere else I just try to make bad puns and defend Bond's Scottish origins! :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Alessandra wrote:

I love that bikini Auger has on. Isn't it still incredibly modern? Especially bearing into mind we've basically gotten back to bikini fits of the 60s lately.. :D And I love them! I also have a couple of very nice ones from an Italian brand called Pin Up Stars... the name says it all

:o the bikini is good, but the black Thunderball swimsuit with the transparent part under her chest is :o :o :o ;%
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited November 2008
    Barbel wrote:
    Alessandra wrote:
    Barbel I thought you always were one of the big guns here? That's why I didn't notice the promotion? :))

Oh, I'm only a big gun in the music department, where I'm one of the resident boffins. Everywhere else I just try to make bad puns and defend Bond's Scottish origins! :D

Right, the "Scottish peasant" part of it all :)) :)) (you know what I'm talking about :D). BIg gun in the music department! :O I had no idea about that either. My Bond girl attention span needs adjustment! :O

Bondtoys wrote:
    :O the bikini is good, but the black Thunderball swimsuit with the transparent part under her chest is :O :O :O ;%

We can aaaalways count on you for that type of detail Bondtoys, can't we? :)) That was very sexy indeed. Is it one of your sexiest Bond girl moments? Hm, we could have a chat about that too, after all it's us Bond girls here.. :))
    edited November 2008
    .... as if I was the only one, who was :o :o :o occasionaly, when she wore it. :D

And infact, that is THE sexiest Bond girl moment for me -{

Bondtoys wrote:
    .... as if I was the only one, who was :o :o :o occasionaly, when she wore it. :D

And infact, that is THE sexiest Bond girl moment for me -{

An impeccable choice, as far as I'm concerned. Claudine had it all. Looks, sexiness, style. Quintessential Bond girl. And she wore white in a fantastic way :D
    not to forget to mention, how she wore the black/transparent :D

• RavenstoneRavenstone EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Lady Rose wrote:

5'10" in my stockings ....

I hate you ;)

My Other Half is 5'10" !!!
    blueman wrote:
    Craig and Sienna Miller looked great together in Layer Cake,

Oooo....sore point. Were you not aware that they (allegedly) had an affair? Apparently. Not that it's anyone else's business, and all that.

Patrick Swayze never rocked my boat. Sorry. He's all yours. I have heard that he's doing very well, though, and isn't anywhere near as ill as was initially reported. Which is good news.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Ravenstone wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

5'10" in my stockings ....

I hate you ;)

My Other Half is 5'10" !!!

Oh dear...I'm 6'1"....am I hated too? :D
    Ravenstone wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    Craig and Sienna Miller looked great together in Layer Cake,

Oooo....sore point. Were you not aware that they (allegedly) had an affair? Apparently. Not that it's anyone else's business, and all that.

but they weren't married to anyone else...or engaged at the time, so I don't think that was a problem? I thought they had great chemistry....and that's why Craig wanted Sienna in a Bond movie...but well, she is now involved with a married man, so....

Ravenstone wrote:
    Patrick Swayze never rocked my boat. Sorry. He's all yours. I have heard that he's doing very well, though, and isn't anywhere near as ill as was initially reported. Which is good news.
    I never liked him either, but I did think he had a certain something in that movie....a man that can dance like that, well, it's very sexy....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Alessandra wrote:

I love that bikini Auger has on. Isn't it still incredibly modern? Especially bearing into mind we've basically gotten back to bikini fits of the 60s lately.. :D And I love them! I also have a couple of very nice ones from an Italian brand called Pin Up Stars... the name says it all :)) They have gorgeous colours and materials, but wouldn't have been ok in the 60s, they aren't exactly very.. covering? :))

To quote the favourite line of The Mantis:

Piiics, please

Alessandra wrote:
    I think I found another Gemma gem. LOL. Need to figure out how to post it, if I can post the actual photo. Girl needs a stylist pronto. Or to call one of us! :))

Piiics, please

• RavenstoneRavenstone EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    Oh dear...I'm 6'1"....am I hated too? :D

*sigh* Short-arsed runt, reporting for duty .... again ;)

Actually, the only reason I want to be taller is so I can ride different bikes. It's a bloody nuisance getting the buggers lowered all the time, getting new shocks made up, checking what suspension linkages are on the bike to be re-machined......Ah well, I've got a car now. Now I can just gloat about being able to get trousers to fit! :D
    but they weren't married to anyone else...or engaged at the time, so I don't think that was a problem?

Not married, but I believe Craig was with his still-partner. Whatever her name is. I don't pay that much attention. I just remember seeing somewhere about him getting into trouble because of it.

I never liked him either, but I did think he had a certain something in that movie....a man that can dance like that, well, it's very sexy....

Hmmm.....I suppose. I did like the film.

Another one I never got was Richard Gere. Yuck.

I know nothing about bikinis, but I can talk about men all night long. ;)