The Rant Box

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I am similarly brilliant in my analysis of Dalton's performances you must admit! :D
    Dalton is your Kryptonite, Kal-el-Higgins.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I'd like to hear Hardyboy's take on the election.

And maybe one of our US agents can help me:

I find it difficult to envision someone who voted for Obama 2 or 6 years ago now voting republican.
    I find it also difficult to imagine republican voter suddenly voting for someone like Obama.
    For sure there are some who protest with that kind of behavior but that can't explain the success of the republicans.

Is it more a question of mobilizing your own voters - so in the case of the recent elections, democrat voters protested by not voting at all.

So how porous are the borders between the 2 camps?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I am similarly brilliant in my analysis of Dalton's performances you must admit! :D

Okay, now you're going too far! :))

On a serious note, I absolutely agree with your analysis of the many contributiing factors to the disappointing (to me) results. I think perhaps your ability to view us from a distance helps to inform your opinion, but I think you are spot on.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Higgins wrote:
    And maybe one of our US agents can help me:
    There's always a bunch in the middle, the swing-voters. They are mostly impressionable people, easily swayed by advertising. That's how you buy an election here. Scare them to the candidate you want in.

On a serious note, I absolutely agree with your analysis of the many contributiing factors to the disappointing (to me) results. I think perhaps your ability to view us from a distance helps to inform your opinion, but I think you are spot on.

Thanks, old chap! -{
    I think that it has much to do with our media - particularly the tv programmes which are not private.
    They are often criticized but their journalists are really good and draw an accurate picture of the globe.

Another thing which always bothers me: I am meeting many US people on my travels who did not leave their country at all (and there are also many, who have served with the military abroad but never really connected with the countries).

In my opinion, you have to leave your own country now and then to get an input from foreigners about yourself and about their way of living.

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    My Mate is in the Army and he has served with American, French, Dutch Solders etc and he told me that some of the American Squadies had never left there own Towns or Areas before signing up !
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,810MI6 Agent
    Today's young American generation is the first who knows and understands less of the world outside the US borders than their parents did. I fear a gradual "dumbing down" of America. Not a real drop in IQ, obviously, but a lack of knowledge of history, culture and the outside world. Once F.D. Roosevelt asked the public to take out their world maps in advance of one of his "fireside chats" on radio. Robert Kennedy quoted classical poems in his speaches. How would anything like that go down today? And who would have believed thirty years ago that 'Creationism' would be a common and often respected theory?
    Higgins wrote:
    In my opinion, you have to leave your own country now and then to get an input from foreigners about yourself and about their way of living.

That's a good point. As I have mentioned before, my son has lived in Japan for the past decade or so, and I have been very surprised by his observations on how Americans are viewed abroad. I'm a proud American, and I love my country, but I think the notion of "American exceptionalism" (i.e. we're better than the rest of the world, and there is nothing we can learn from others) is misguided and destructive. It reeks of hubris, encourages unwarranted self-congratulation, and fosters resentment around the world. Expect more of it now that the pendulum has swung once again in the right-wing direction. (I realize the belief in "American exceptionism" is not exclusive to any one party, but the right-wingers are the main proponents.)
    Well one thing's for sure: now that they've been voted in, we need no longer fear a massive Eboli outbreak. *whew*

8-)
    It's similar to how some other Countries stereotype us Brits as being Drunks due to how some of us behave abroad (Getting drunk, acting rowdy and being complete Tossers) When obviously not all of us are like that.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    On Ebola, Russell Howard did a great bit on it this week showing
    British TV reports ( no panic, stating facts and well Balanced ) -{
    Then American TV reports ...
    Ahhhhhhhhh !!!!!!! EBOLA !!!! We're ALL. gonna DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PANIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)) :)) :))
    The difference in reporting styles was Amazing !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    On Ebola, Russell Howard did a great bit on it this week showing
    British TV reports ( no panic, stating facts and well Balanced ) -{
    Then American TV reports ...
    Ahhhhhhhhh !!!!!!! EBOLA !!!! We're ALL. gonna DIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PANIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)) :)) :))
    The difference in reporting styles was Amazing !

Yes!!!! And it took someone from FOX News, of all places, to offer a voice of reason.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/shepard-smith-ebola_n_5992510.html
    Yes!!!! And it took someone from FOX News, of all places, to offer a voice of reason.
    Positively shocking.
    I won't watch Sky News over here because I feel it's a bit Biased. I watch
    The BBC and ITV. ................ Or just Make up stuff in my head ! It works for
    Fox. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I won't watch Sky News over here because I feel it's a bit Biased. I watch
    The BBC and ITV. ................ Or just Make up stuff in my head ! It works for
    Fox. :))
    Isn't Fox owned by an evil Brit? Rupert Drax, or something?
    :)) Yes, something like that.
    The name was Elliot Murdoch if I remember well

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/15/shepard-smith-ebola_n_5992510.html

Yes, that was great!
    I wonder if the guy has gotten fired for this.
    Whenever I have the chance, I am watching FOX.
    It has a great unintended comedy-factor for me :D

It's similar to how some other Countries stereotype us Brits as being Drunks due to how some of us behave abroad (Getting drunk, acting rowdy and being complete Tossers) When obviously not all of us are like that.

Really??

Once you meet Asp9mm , you can see all these stereotypes are having a mothership :D
    He even flashes his boobs :))

That's a good point. As I have mentioned before, my son has lived in Japan for the past decade or so, and I have been very surprised by his observations on how Americans are viewed abroad. I'm a proud American, and I love my country, but I think the notion of "American exceptionalism" (i.e. we're better than the rest of the world, and there is nothing we can learn from others) is misguided and destructive. It reeks of hubris, encourages unwarranted self-congratulation, and fosters resentment around the world. Expect more of it now that the pendulum has swung once again in the right-wing direction. (I realize the belief in "American exceptionism" is not exclusive to any one party, but the right-wingers are the main proponents.)

I totally agree. I've read nowhere in the bible the mentioning about the USA being "god's blessed country" so I cringe everytime that I hear that phrase. It's simply pathetic and there are for sure other nations who need more his blessings than the US.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:

Do you mean the Australian Rupert Murdoch ? :D
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:

Really??

Once you meet Asp9mm , you can see all these stereotypes are having a mothership :D
    He even flashes his boobs :))

:)) :))
    Higgins wrote:

I totally agree. I've read nowhere in the bible the mentioning about the USA being "god's blessed country" so I cringe everytime that I hear that phrase. It's simply pathetic and there are for sure other nations who need more his blessings than the US.

+1
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

Do you mean the Australian Rupert Murdoch ? :D

Could be Elliot Carver :D
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    edited November 2014

Haha - I think the Brit ladies are outdoing us men nowadays, hilarious program on TV the other day about Brit ladies getting legless and outdrinking / winning on bad behaviour stakes! My Chilean Mrs was quite appalled :D !! Reminded me of a night out in Cardiff!!!

I deal with and visit people from the Far East on a daily basis and have many friends there. I recently asked my long time Korean friend what the real image of Brits was from his country's perspective and he honestly said a bunch of drunken hooligans. Ive been legless in the Far East many a time and everybody is legless but I've never once seen any trouble (prob because they have no toleration). Interesting and amusing topic indeed
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    edited November 2014
    Dare I ask what the general perception/experience is with Norwegians? (present company excluded :D )
    edited November 2014
    Judging from the other Half's mum, a very kind and warm People :) Can't wait to go there in January -{
    You all wear wooly jumpers, talk like the Swedish Chef, and
    Your booze is very expensive ! :)) but only some think that :v
    Not me obviously.
    edited November 2014
    Two thirds right, TB. The Swedish chef sounds Danish :))

AlfaOmegaSin: We might be warm and friendly - once you get to know us. But that takes a while :#
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    That Norway would reach to Rome or something if you turn it another way - Morten Harkett from the band a-ha.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).