The Rant Box

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,625Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    My point is that you're wrong in blaming religion. You mention slavery, but wasn't the Soviet GULag a type of slavery? Opressive regimes try to justify their actions through belief systems and most of them can be used, including atheism.

Nice try...but complete tosh...in the countries you mentioned religion was in place...the worship of a dictator...but nice try ;)
    YNWA 97
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Didn't Fred Dibnah come from Bolton?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    My point is that you're wrong in blaming religion. You mention slavery, but wasn't the Soviet GULag a type of slavery? Opressive regimes try to justify their actions through belief systems and most of them can be used, including atheism.

Nice try...but complete tosh...in the countries you mentioned religion was in place...the worship of a dictator...but nice try ;)

Yes. my try is good. :v

The origional post seemed to claim that religion is bad - just look at all the evil things done by religious regimes and in the name of religion. This is all true. But you call my post "tosh" because the cult around the dictator was a substitute religion. I agree the cults around the dictators had undertones, but this doesn't undermine my post at all. Quite the oposite. My point was that opressive regimes use belief systems to justify their rule, something your post actually supports! :))
    Not a nice try, it was far too weak.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Don't worry I still believe in you Number24 ! ;) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Number24 wrote:
    My point was that opressive regimes use belief systems to justify their rule, something your post actually supports! :))

Well, you've lost me now :s

Religion IS evil...just look at all the barbaric deeds done in its name...

Dictators are evil...it's just transposing one God for another...
    YNWA 97
    You fail to see my Point Number24, no matter what you believe in
    Religion or Communism. If that's your belief it can be used to
    Justify anything.
    Once again your defence of religion ( supposedly from God, so
    Operating on the highest principles ) is to say it's just as bad as
    Other oppresive, hateful regimes. :)) which is brilliant praise. :D
    In fact I'm agreeing with you, many religious have used " belief " for
    Wars, killings and other atrocities. Just as other "belief" systems such
    As Communists, Nazis etc have. So using logic if all the others have been
    Proven to be evil and used to control a population and oppress any chosen
    Group, so too has Religion. :D
    Wouldn't you expect religion to act on higher principles ? Isn't it supposed to
    Come from a loving father figure ? Shouldn't it be acting against slavery and
    Injustice ?
    Yet history has proven that over the years it has happily, had holy wars, enslaved
    Entire communities, discriminated on sexuality etc.
    So all I'm saying it's not for me. ;) " I certainly didn't expect the Spanish inquisition !" :))

I actually say atheist regimes have been worse than religious regimes.
    Religion an states using/supporting religion has been around far longer than regimes supporting atheism has been around for thousands of years, "atheist" regimes only about a century. The death toll of atheist regimes is already as high as or higher than that of atheist regimes. (What shall we call the nazi regime? It clearly wasn't atheist, but it didn't really like the traditional religion either. It was more an extreme racist ideology with some occultism that sometimes But the movement to end slavery was mainly Christian and the first countries to bann slavery were all Christian.
    One would expect religion to have higher principles, and it disapoints far too often. Your claim in your origional post was still misleading at best. It seemed to want to prove that a lot of evil has been done by religions, so religions must be bad. Not talking into consideration the crimes done by atheist regimes shows just a part of the total and muddies the issue.
    But there are NO atheist Regimes ! Never have been. They replace the " God"
    Figure with a " Leader" :D , followers love their leader as they are told he IS a God
    ( as in N.Korea) :D
    Himmler was a devoted catholic ( attended mass every morning) and gave it all
    Up to follow his " leader" .
    I do find it funny that your defence of religion is that " it's just as bad as the others"
    :)) I think that sums up Religion nicely ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    My point was that opressive regimes use belief systems to justify their rule, something your post actually supports! :))

In your "tosh" post you seemed to say that since atheist dictstors like Mao were presented in quazi-religious ways and therefore ... what? Was your point that they no longer could be counted as religious atheist regimes and not atheist?
    That is like saying all our dirt is actually your dirt. Using the deeds of atheist dictators against religion does seem like playing dirty!
    My view is that dictators are evil - no matter if they use a religious or atheist belief system to support their regime. You seem to say that christian dictators are evil so religion is evil, and atheist dictators are really religious so religion is evil ?:)
    Number24 wrote:
    Justify anything.
    Injustice ?
    Yet history has proven that over the years it has happily, had holy wars, enslaved
    So all I'm saying it's not for me. ;) " I certainly didn't expect the Spanish inquisition !" :))

Religion an states using/supporting religion has been around far longer than regimes supporting atheism has been around for thousands of years, "atheist" regimes only about a century. The death toll of atheist regimes is already as high as or higher than that of atheist regimes. (What shall we call the nazi regime? It clearly wasn't atheist, but it didn't really like the traditional religion either. It was more an extreme racist ideology with some occultism that sometimes But the movement to end slavery was mainly Christian and the first countries to bann slavery were all Christian.
    One would expect religion to have higher principles, and it disapoints far too often. Your claim in your origional post was still misleading at best. It seemed to want to prove that a lot of evil has been done by religions, so religions must be bad. Not talking into consideration the crimes done by atheist regimes shows just a part of the total and muddies the issue.

You need to re-read this post...it's got errors in it...or it just doesn't make sense at all ?:)
    YNWA 97
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

In your "tosh" post you seemed to say that since atheist dictstors like Mao were presented in quazi-religious ways and therefore ... what? Was your point that they no longer could be counted as religious atheist regimes and not atheist?
    That is like saying all our dirt is actually your dirt. Using the deeds of atheist dictators against religion does seem like playing dirty!
    My view is that dictators are evil - no matter if they use a religious or atheist belief system to support their regime. You seem to say that christian dictators are evil so religion is evil, and atheist dictators are really religious so religion is evil ?:)

Again...totally lost in trying to make sense of this post...sorry...

Are dictators only dictators because they see what people will do in the name of God - and therefore try and ape that ?
    YNWA 97
    I can't speak for Sir Miles but YES, I do think ALL religions are
    Evil, they have some of the weirdest warped ideas I've ever
    Read. :))
    You are not to live with your wife during her period.
    You are never to wear cotton and wool together.
    You are not to eat shellfish.
    You are to Kill all pregnant teens.
    You are to kill everyone who works on a Sunday.

Just some of the rules, if you're not doing that, you can't be a Christian
    Those are the rules. (You can look them up) the not eating shellfish, is
    Higher up than, Man shall not sleep with man :)) , so it must be more
    Important !
    Yet I have yet to see any christians killing pregnant teens, or camping
    Outside fishmongers shops, or killing Sunday workers ! So they're all
    Being hypocrites, yet as soon as they see a gay person, bloody hell they
    Can't wait to get into a campaign to ban that. :))

Although if it brings you comfort, I wish you well. Sadly I think Religion has
    brought far more, pain and heartache into the world and is still doing it today.
    I'm leaving this alone though, as it might get heated. Luckily being an atheist
    I'll never strap explosives to myself or kill my neighbour for reading a different
    Book to me or discriminate someone because of their sexuality. Ah, the joy of
    Being Free ! :))
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Again...totally lost in trying to make sense of this post...sorry...

Are dictators only dictators because they see what people will do in the name of God - and therefore try and ape that ?

My point is that belief systems are very useful tools for dictators, atheism no less than religion.

What I reacted to in TP's origional post is the notion that religion is evil because of all the evil done in its name, but all the evil done in the name of atheist ideologies has nothing to do with atheism and atheism surely isn't evil :D
    Surely not a very scientific outlook?
    edited December 2014
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Justify anything.
    Injustice ?

Religion and states using/supporting religion has been around far longer than regimes supporting atheism has been around. Religion has been around for thousands of years, "atheist" regimes only about a century. In spite of this the death toll of atheist regimes is already as high as or higher than that of religious regimes. (What shall we call the nazi regime? It clearly wasn't atheist, but it didn't really like the traditional religion either. It was more an extreme racist ideology with some occultism that sometimes
    supported and sometimesfought christianity.
    Christianity has been used both to defend an fight slavery, but the movement to end slavery was mainly Christian and the first countries to bann slavery were all Christian.

You need to re-read this post...it's got errors in it...or it just doesn't make sense at all ?:)

The lines in my post were jumbled, you're right. I think I have fixed that. Sometimes the cursor jumps back to previous positions and since I'm such a bad typist I need to focus on my keyboard when I type :# Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    The odd thing is that even though it was jumbled, it made
    Sense to me ! :))
    What does that tell us, and about whom? :))
    It means it's nighttime and we can talk rubbish into the early hours. :))
    I remember when dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I was studying at the time. On letting my course mates know to avoid anyone putting their foot in it etc, the resident god-squad nutcase announced my dad must have got cancer because he had done something wrong and god was punishing him for his sins.

A week after dad died I bumped into an old school teacher of mine who had left teaching to become a priest. He asked how I was doing and I explained that I'd been better. Hoping for some words of comfort or an offer of help in my time if need, I was quite shocked when he simply said "oh well, see you around" and walked off.

When I got married the vicar seemed ok during all the preparation, but on the day he was a right ****, he banned my photographer for taking pictures and then I thought he was going to implode when he told mrs geff to "sign your name here" in the register book to which she duly obliged... where she was supposed to write, not sign, her name. She did as he asked, yet still he went bonkers.

As far as I'm concerned the church can go **** itself.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    The only thing I heard from a priest about death that I always remember
    As I thought it was funny and true .....
    " We all die looking at a Lucozade bottle !"
    minigeff wrote:
    I remember when dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I was studying at the time. On letting my course mates know to avoid anyone putting their foot in it etc, the resident god-squad nutcase announced my dad must have got cancer because he had done something wrong and god was punishing him for his sins.

A week after dad died I bumped into an old school teacher of mine who had left teaching to become a priest. He asked how I was doing and I explained that I'd been better. Hoping for some words of comfort or an offer of help in my time if need, I was quite shocked when he simply said "oh well, see you around" and walked off.

When I got married the vicar seemed ok during all the preparation, but on the day he was a right ****, he banned my photographer for taking pictures and then I thought he was going to implode when he told mrs geff to "sign your name here" in the register book to which she duly obliged... where she was supposed to write, not sign, her name. She did as he asked, yet still he went bonkers.

I know there are people out there who believe accidents and sickness is God's punishment for past deeds, but I have never met any of them myself. Those teachings are actually contradictoryt to what Jesus himself says in the Bible, and I belive he some kind of a central character in the last part of said book. I'm sorry you've met some really unpleasant people preaching that version of the greatest publishing success ever. Good night. :)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    Old Testament:

Dieties Are Forever?

God's Finger?

New Testament:

You Only Live Twice
    Probably 'the book' and it'd be written in newspeak.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    stag wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Old Testament:

Dieties Are Forever?

God's Finger?

New Testament:

You Only Live Twice

I like it!

Also:

Live & Let Live

Do Unto Others

The Man With The Loaf & Five Fishes.

:)) :)) :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Old Testament:

Dieties Are Forever?

God's Finger?

New Testament:

You Only Live Twice

I like it!

Also:

Live & Let Live

Do Unto Others

The Man With The Loaf & Five Fishes.

From Heaven With Love
    Live Another Day
    Soulfinger
    Skyfall!
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Hellfall ?
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    From Heaven With Love

I'll forgive the plagarism...........but only this once! :D
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

Well said Mini G. I have my own reasons for frowning on the clergy, in my case it was the passing of my Mum and years later my Gran. Plus recent scandals and corruption stories speak for themselves.

Re titles "A Vatican To A Kill?" Meaning faith in that establishment.

My rant for today. - People in the cinema who fail to SHUT THE F**K UP!! During the film. In this case a couple who were too Braindead to understand how to whisper. I could have spat on them.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Watching the wonderful Dave Allen on bbc2 he tells of the Pope arguing
    With an atheist ........
    The Pope says " you are like a blindfolded man in a dark room looking for a
    Black cat that isn't there!"
    The atheist replies ..
    " sir that also sounds like you, you are blindfolded, in a dark room, looking for
    A black cat that isn't there! ..... The only difference is You've found it!" :))
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    With an atheist ........
    The atheist replies ..
    " sir that also sounds like you, you are blindfolded, in a dark room, looking for
    A black cat that isn't there! ..... The only difference is You've found it!" :))

I watched him also ,he was the best
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I'm a big fan :x
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    With an atheist ........
    The atheist replies ..

I was hoping that the different point is that the atheist man was allowed to shag :D

Anyhow, I respect all kind of faithful people as long as they stay peaceful and compassionate.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!