The Rant Box

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,812MI6 Agent
    The American gun culture has gone off the rails, I agree. Having said that, I occationally shoot with pistols and revolvolvers for fun. I'm not a hunter, but I know many hunters and I'm positive to hunting.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " The American gun culture has gone off the rails " {[]
    Big Time ! :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I very much agree :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    To be honest I don't understand people who state they're bond fans but hate guns. :s

As for penis replacements, I'm unsure how that applies to all the female shooters I've met over the years.

For me, the sport of shooting that I participate in has no grounds on being 'manly', gung-ho and all tough guys blasting countless shells at anything that moves, in fact it's quite the polar opposite. With target shooting the guns used are very often low powered, especially where air weapons are concerned.

Often people jump to conclusions when they'll ill advised and on the majority of it, only have 'information' from the press to go on.

Target shooting actually started out as a form of darts, in fact air guns where originally shot on small ranges in public houses as a form of entertainment. The club I shoot at actually dates back to 1901, and many in the county I live have evolved out of home guard clubs that date back to the war. Much like every lad over 14 was taught how to use a longbow back in medieval times, so was youngsters at times of more recent conflict.

Not only does shooting involve great disapline and self control, but it also can be very rewarding for people young and old, a sense of acheivement, and when shooting as part of a team in competition, a sense of camaraderie. I've seen many people, from young kids going a little off the rails, and older people who've grown a little lonely in life brought together and turned around simply from the companionship of being in a club.

Now don't get me wrong, all that isn't unique to a shooting club, but it certainly is very evident in one.

And guess what, the card targets we shoot are even recycled, as is the empty brass cases that we often shoot many hundreds of thousands of each every night on the range. The lead pellets shot by air guns are caught, collected and then weighed in too.

I think it's pretty unfair and very ill-informed when people see the carnage of such things like the recent shooting in America and then tar every single shooter around the world as some gun toting mad paranoid fool just waiting to shoot anyone who pisses them off.

Sure, the Americans have a very different approach to how they deal with and treat firearms, and I honestly think it's about time things were made a little stricter. In comparison the UK has nowhere near the amount of gun related deaths per head that the USA does, and I honestly believe that's down to the strict regulation and approach to firearms that we have in this country.

I think the fundamental aspect of the difference in mentality with firearm ownership is the presence of the second amendment in the US constitution.

The right to own guns is written hard and firm into the American way of life whereas over here it has to be earnt and justified.

MG
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    I come from a country where this sort of thing was a regular occurrence.
    People going into a church or bar, with machine guns and , killing everyone
    Inside. :#
    So a mixture of hatred and access to weapons is not a good mix. Personally
    I wouldn't have a gun around the place, and think Britain has a very effective
    Policy on them.
    You can hunt and target shoot, but you can't have a collection of machine guns
    etc. Which I think is sensible. With a licence and vetting system, there is always
    A middle ground to allow shooting as a hobby but keep the public safe.
    Then again that might be me being a softie, left wing, liberal. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I think it's a very valid opinon TP.

I've been shooting since '98, own many guns but nothing past .22LR.... why? Because I don't need anything larger calibre. I've seen people buying huge calibre stuff, even one guy had a barret .50 cal, but he used that for shooting targets at a 1000yrds, so it warrented using it.

I've seen countless clips of shooting in the states, people owning m/c guns etc, and even saw one clip, perhaps it was from the 'shooting for columbine' film where there was even a neighbourhood defence brigade, all tooled up waiting for a black guy to break into someone's house so they could ring up....... "wanna know if you wanna come round and shoot it fur hur".

Why anyone on civvy street would ever need to own a machine gun I have no idea.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    From my own experience, I have a couple of mates in to hunting, and
    They seem perfectly normal. ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    yeah, there are only considerate smokers, too.

There is much to be said about MGs post, I'll stick to the major points.

I have no problem with hunters.
    Shooting on targets I have mixed feelings, never considered to shooting onto something being sports.

Penis-replacement: I have yet to see a woman posting "mood shots" from her guns here like blokes do :D

My main beef is owning a gun and obsessing about them.
    If gun discussions would not be banned on the Rolex Forum, we'd see "post a pic of your gun and your Rolex" threads multiple times per day.

Some may object, that guns (for target shooters) are kind of sports equipment, but I have yet to see "mood pics" from racebikes or footballshoes on pillows in an exclusive setting like so many guns are here on the forum.

There may be a share of people who don't obsess, but the number of people who DO worries me!

IMO, there is no reason for normal people to own or rather carry a gun with them! Period!
    I've just seen a comment in the mem&coll here where someone says how great it feels carrying his PPK around. THIS is what I am talking about.

2013, there have been 35.000 people killed by a gun! In Germany 960 people!
    And the US citizens are afraid about being killed by sharks or terrorists :))

For sure many of these cases would still have happened with stricter gun laws, but the number is still overwhelming.

So, MG is right, he can find counter-arguments about people not being obsessed or needing a firearm, but there is a large number which I am talking about and these are worrying me, not the random target shooter, who borrows a gun at the range .
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    We NEED our guns! I mean, what if the Russians invade? Or an alien race?
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    it may be more effective stopping the russians like that:

3urUOLz.jpg

I come from a country where this sort of thing was a regular occurrence.
    People going into a church or bar, with machine guns and , killing everyone
    Inside. :#
    So a mixture of hatred and access to weapons is not a good mix. Personally
    I wouldn't have a gun around the place, and think Britain has a very effective
    Policy on them.
    You can hunt and target shoot, but you can't have a collection of machine guns
    etc. Which I think is sensible. With a licence and vetting system, there is always
    A middle ground to allow shooting as a hobby but keep the public safe.
    Then again that might be me being a softie, left wing, liberal. ;)

I agree with you on this, TP. Should I be worried about this? Should you worry? :))
    :D No you are becoming Wise, young Jedi. Just as when preparing
    Lunch peeling the potatoes etc. My Master said the same to me, I
    Wasn't sure but he said " search your peelings, look ! You know it
    to be true " :))
    Sorry I must have bad joke tourrets :))
    I actually worry when carrying my guns and always make sure they're secure etc instead of parading around with them :))

And just for you higgybummykins, because you've never seen moody admiration shots of bikes or shoes;

JanelleOnBike530.jpg

3822959_barcelonas-lionel-messis-reveals-his-new_82462a38_m.png?bg=272425
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Not a single Spek of Green :D
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    I saw a female workmate wearing bright fluorescent pink trainers recently and I immediately thought of Higgins. :D -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I saw a female workmate wearing bright fluorescent pink trainers recently and I immediately thought of Higgins. :D -{

LMAO :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007

You sure it wasn't Higgins himself? :))

Hey, that's funny! :)) :)) :))

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

Hey, that's funny! :)) :)) :))

The lady is off on maternity leave at the moment. :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    I welcome Donald Trump's nomination as the Republican candidate. Never mind the politics - Republicans have the most entertaining politicians :))

Donald-Trump2.jpg
    Speaking as an outsider, The Republicans have candidates that look like
    Cartoon characters. :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Speaking as an outsider, The Republicans have candidates that look like
    Cartoon characters. :D
    Speaking as an insider I agree. :))
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    I am amazed at the dignity and humanity of the families of the victims
    Of the Charleston church shooting, many who have forgiven the attacker.
    I am amazed at the dignity and humanity of the families of the victims
    Of the Charleston church shooting, many who have forgiven the attacker.

Indeed, it reminds me somewhat of Gordon Wilson who forgave those behind the IRA Enniskillen war memorial bombing in NI in November 1987 which resulted in the death of his daughter Marie, among others. It must be a terribly difficult thing to do, but Christians are taught to forgive and to pray for their enemies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Wilson_(peace_campaigner)
    Yes, I'm full of admiration for black methodist churches in the South in general. The dignity and compassion is impressive after all these years of opression is fantastic. Obama said that there is a reason things llike this doesn't happen in the rest of the developed world, namely the American gun laws and gun culture. Sadly this isn't completely true, many of us remember the Utøya killings and other gun massacres outside the US. But Obama has a point. Gun killings are 15-20 times more common in the US than in other developed countries. Americans are buying more and more guns mistakenly believing crime is on the rise.
    Indeed yes, SM the late Gordon Wilson is a shining example of all the good
    Decent people over here, and to quote Martin Luther King.
    " We either learn to live together as brothers.
    Or we perish together as Fools. " -{
    ( I might have misquoted it a bit)
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Rant of the day.

I just moved home. I gave BT plenty of notice online and even spoke with them to ensure I'd get (a) to keep my same phone number (b) phone connected within 24 hrs and (c) broadband in 24hrs. They assure me that was all fine.
    Then on moving day they phoned and says it would be a 2 day delay. So after 2 days I rang and they admitted they didn't know why I had been told it would be 2days, and said it would be another day. So I rang the next day and they said there was yet another delay and it would be the following day (yesterday) and admitted they kept getting my order wrong. Then I got an email (fortunately via my mobile) to say they had arbitrarily changed my number! So I rang again and they said it would be another 24 hrs and another 3 days for broadband. X-( {:) X-(
    So you can imagine my mood and why I haven't been around for a few days.
    The rest of the move went gone but it shows how much we rely on the internet (and also how appalling BT is).
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Sorry to hear C&D, Marcus Brigstocke had a long going joke on the service
    From BT broadband .
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1CLskFIKQ
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    Yesterday I switched to TalkTalk- no problems so far, though I was worried that I might get the same runaround as C&D evidently did.
    Yesterday, I was looking at a talk-talk offer for mobiles.
    Unlimited calls & texts and unlimited internet for only £12 per month
    Although you have to switch your home broadband to them, but I am
    Considering it. ;)