Skyfall James Bond leather jacket

Comments

• UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Thanks Uncle27, so going off Returningson's medium measurements, it would seem that the large is 1.75 inches larger than the medium from pit to pit; 0.5 inches longer in the sleeves and 3.5 inches longer down the back. This on the assumption that the sizes are consistent.

Again, if you take a 44 suit, I would have automatically thought a medium would be sufficient for me but if the medium is tight fitting on Sunny01, who has a slimmer waist than me then I might have to rethink.

Sunny01, do the measurements Returningson's posted compare to your medium? I'm especially concerned about the waist measurement which Uncle has @ 21.5 on the large?

Careful with the length... I measured from the top of the collar. Collar is 1.5"
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    Ah yes, quite right, so 2 inches longer down the back for the large as compared to the medium, cheers!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent
    Hi Smithers I am at work and the jacket is boxed up so I cant measure at the moment....my work colleagues might look at me a bit weirdly! If you normally take a 44 suit then there is no way you can get into a Size M. I am a standard 40 in a suit, 40 inch chest and 32 waist and if anything it is too small on me. I can zip it up and it fits like a glove and I prefer to have a bit of room in a jacket. I will send through measurements when others are not in the office!
    Hi Sunny01, in your own time of course.

No, I'm a 40 reg suit, 34 waist and on the face of it a medium would be correct but from what you're saying I'll be lucky to zip the jacket up with my waist size.

I'd also be interested to hear what your/ others thoughts are re the quality of leather, as I'd previously read that it's very thin, cheers
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited January 2014
    Ok got my small from Mr Porter and it's too small. Means my Med in the US is the right fit and on its way over the water.

So I have a small Levis Menlo and a small Wested version as well up for grabs

Seems AJBers have cornered the market as now sold out!

Looking to cover costs so Levis at cost £320 and Wested £100 plus registered postage (payment via PayPal). If you are interested PM me otherwise I will eBay them (by the way the whole deal from MR Porter means the box is huge hence plus postage!)

To assist on sizing on the Menlo I am 5ft 8 ins slightly longer arms (usually go for 34 or 35 ins sleeve on a formal shirt), 39 ins chest with broad shoulders and 30 ins waist weighing in at 11 stone. For me the fit was very fitted jacket was a tab too short and bellow sleeve on the rear was fully ext,ended when tried on. For Wested small fits fine :-)

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    Hi Smithers I just tried the jacket on again minus a v neck jumper and just a shirt and it looks awesome. There is definitely room at the waist so I think it would fit you very well. A size L would probably be too big on the chest unless you want a looser fit jacket. I'm going to keep mine. The leather is not thick and the jacket is very light but that suits me fine...it will make a nice jacket for summer. Leather is very soft almost like a suede, colour is great better than pics. I would not pay 600 quid for it but at 300 quid its a bargain.
    I measure width of jacket from base when laying flat on ground as 15 inches for a size M.
    Thanks Sunny01, good to hear this - as you say the large would likely be too big on the chest. I also suppose to properly "enjoy death", the jacket is worn open anyway!
  • Vesper007Vesper007 Enjoying Death,Country EnglandPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    Im about 5ft 9, 80kg, waist 34 , chest around 38 inch - the jacket was far too tight when zipped up across the tummy and chest - plus length sat above my waist .

They had run out of stock other the XL and the size diff from L to XL isn't huge so they are sending me that to try - if that's too big looks like that's that I wint have one unless I can swap it - I went for a medium as I read that they needed sizing down but the one I got sent was way too small and for the price even at the discount I didn't want a jacket that would annoy me because of the size.
    Also should have said, given that Blueblud didn't get the size medium, it might be a good idea if Sunny01 and/or Vesper007 provide the mediums measurements for comparative purposes?
    "007 Reporting for Duty"
    Size M now available on mr porter if anyone interested.
  • MeezusMeezus Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Hey guys, new member here, just received my L Menlo from Mr. Porter and I feel like it's too big.
    For anyone who's still trying to figure out sizing, I'm 5'11" 195lbs w a 44" chest and 34" waist (measured). I've never put anything on that is this much wider than my shoulders until today, so it's a little disconcerting. And this excess shoulder width doesnt just droop past my shoulders, but sort of sticks out and comes to a point beyond my shoulder; kind of has an 80's feel to it or it just looks like I bought the wrong size jacket.
    Oh and obviously the sleeves are also way long just like the Barbour Commander, but that can be adjusted (but seriously who has arms this long?).
    Couple pics:
    IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg

I've got an XL coming too so that's great. There's plenty of room in the chest so I'd like to try a M, but obviously it's sold out everywhere.
    Anyway if anyone with a M is looking for a L (or an XL), I'd be happy to swap. Otherwise these are both going back, and I'll have to wait until next year's Mr Porter sale. Or if anyone is selling a M near the sale price, lemme know.
    Or if you think I'm an idiot and this fits fine, lemme know too.
  • BRIXMISBRIXMIS Great BritainPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    Just received my Menlo from Mr Porter too. Went for a medium, but reckon I should have gone for a small . I have a 40 chest, 30 waist and am 5'8". The medium looks fine, I think, but just wish I had ordered both a small and a medium as at the time both sizes were in stock. Might be up for a swap if anyone has a small that wants a medium.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Good job I'm 6'4" with knuckles that drag on the ground then because my XL was delivered to CA on Saturday and I won't get to see it till April, but from all that's been said I think it will fit just fine. I hope.
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    BRIXMIS wrote:
    Just received my Menlo from Mr Porter too. Went for a medium, but reckon I should have gone for a small . I have a 40 chest, 30 waist and am 5'8". The medium looks fine, I think, but just wish I had ordered both a small and a medium as at the time both sizes were in stock. Might be up for a swap if anyone has a small that wants a medium.

I'm a 39 chest and I have owned a small and a medium for some time, I can wear the small for a fitted look but can't wear it closed as it is far to tight.

Ross
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    I went from my usual XL to Large. It is indeed a big jacket
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    As the medium I got sent was too tight and large was out of stock - they sent me XL which they said wasn't much bigger - arrived today and Id need to be a gorilla to fit it . the sleeves are crazy long and shoulders very wide. bit disappointing ;-(
    "007 Reporting for Duty"
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Like I said, I'm a knuckle dragger. :))
  • shilton125shilton125 SCOTLANDPosts: 355MI6 Agent
    I received my Menlo from Mr Porter in a size medium. I'm 6ft1 40 inch chest and 33 waist. I was quite disappointed firstly the jacket is nothing like the Peggs and son where a medium is perfect. This was skin tight and the texture felt poor so sent it back
    shilton125 wrote:
    I received my Menlo from Mr Porter in a size medium. I'm 6ft1 40 inch chest and 33 waist. I was quite disappointed firstly the jacket is nothing like the Peggs and son where a medium is perfect. This was skin tight and the texture felt poor so sent it back

I've heard about the comparative decrease in quality before but are you able to elaborate on this? One thing seems certain - the sizing of these jackets seems to pot!

Could it be that these Mr Porter ones are seconds or something?
  • Fredrick GrayFredrick Gray Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    BRIXMIS wrote:
    Just received my Menlo from Mr Porter too. Went for a medium, but reckon I should have gone for a small . I have a 40 chest, 30 waist and am 5'8". .

I'm 5' 5.5" and the small is way too short for me. The moment that I opened the box, I could see that it was too small. The small seems more like a child's or girl's size.

I reckon Nick Nack would struggle to squeeze in to it. It also seems a lot more "distressed" than the one worn by DC. I can live with that, but not the size.

I'm definitely sending it back.
  • PolynikesPolynikes U.k.Posts: 276MI6 Agent
    Ross has had a few if these..... He noted that the later versions were smaller and constructed from thinner leather.

shilton125 wrote:

I've heard about the comparative decrease in quality before but are you able to elaborate on this? One thing seems certain - the sizing of these jackets seems to pot!

Could it be that these Mr Porter ones are seconds or something?
    "I'm motivated by my duty"

1.SF 2.CR 3.OHMSS 4.DN 5.YOLT
  • QuantumMemberQuantumMember Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    For those looking for a "larger"/"looser" size medium I would try Peggs and Son. Additionally, I'll be returning a medium to Mr. Porter today.
  • ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    ive also had a few of these. I really couldn't notice "that" much of a difference between the porter ones and the ones released previously. I agree, sizing has been all over the place but the leather in terms of thickness and consistency has been about the same (at least in the 3 or 4 that ive had). I will say that each is distressed uniquely (I don't know if they are done by hand) but ive had some with more distressing, others less. The only noticeable difference is that a majority of the porter ones have striations rippling across the leather which takes away from the piece (this is a flaw in the leather itself). Perhaps tannerys were changed during production but I don't think Porter would sell "seconds". remember, leather once was a living thing and can change in consistency, texture and thickness despite any attempts at normalization even on the production level. Just my 2cents anyway
  • JBT0077JBT0077 GermanyPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    Received a s and a m. The s was way to tight and the arms are to short. That's was very surprising, because I thought that they run very baggy. But they more true to size. Send the s back to mr. Porter
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    The small was svelt fit to say the least for me and too short in the body according to the good lady and has others have said I could wear it but never do it up.

I just returned my small for a medium seems we are all swapping sizes. Also have a med coming over from the US so will keep the best fit and sell on the other

Sizing is a big of a buggers muddle on these guess you just have to keep trying

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • jared_nomakjared_nomak Posts: 1,942MI6 Agent
    For those looking for a "larger"/"looser" size medium I would try Peggs and Son. Additionally, I'll be returning a medium to Mr. Porter today.

If someone on here wants it phone mr porter and they will put it on your keep list and phone you when it arrives to get it at the sale price, if you do that it won't actually be put up for sale to anyone else.
    Ross
    ive also had a few of these. I really couldn't notice "that" much of a difference between the porter ones and the ones released previously. I agree, sizing has been all over the place but the leather in terms of thickness and consistency has been about the same (at least in the 3 or 4 that ive had). I will say that each is distressed uniquely (I don't know if they are done by hand) but ive had some with more distressing, others less. The only noticeable difference is that a majority of the porter ones have striations rippling across the leather which takes away from the piece (this is a flaw in the leather itself). Perhaps tannerys were changed during production but I don't think Porter would sell "seconds". remember, leather once was a living thing and can change in consistency, texture and thickness despite any attempts at normalization even on the production level. Just my 2cents anyway

I think this is right, my Mr Porter supplied one doesn't seem any different from others I have looked at, going back to last spring. The ageing is very unique and this has an impact, as for the sizing, I don't know. Oogled a few and handled them, but never tried one on before. Further to my post yesterday, I am now happy to keep the medium, and think the small will be too small. My concern was the shoulder looked boxy, but it had creases along the top of the shoulder where it had been stored. These have almost dropped out now, and it drapes much better. Also cinched the straps on the kidneys in a bit. Really like the look of it now, and think the quality is great and the aging looks spot on, in my view. Interestingly, I called Porter to see if they had a small. They didn't, but the assistant said that they didn't have a mechanism to notify anyone if an out of stock size was returned. It is a case of checking the web site . Not a criticism of Mr Porter, there service has been superb, and the assistant , on her suggestion, gave me size differences between a small and a medium. As already mentioned, nice included suit carrier, with my name tag in it, and a Mr P pocket square in the welcome pack. I think any suggestion that they are selling seconds is so wide of the mark.
    Thanks for your input

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting they are selling seconds, rather just speculating on why there seems to be such an inconsistency regarding these jackets. Certainly, it would appear that a good deal of the recent purchasers of the reduced jacket from Porters seem dissatisfied to one degree or another with their purchase. Theres also been comments in the forum that suggest the leather in the Porters jacket is in some way inferior. As a very interested potential purchaser of the jacket, I'm just weighing up the pros and cons before taking the plunge, so I'm grateful for your feedback.
    Thanks for your input

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting they are selling seconds, rather just speculating on why there seems to be such an inconsistency regarding these jackets. Certainly, it would appear that a good deal of the recent purchasers of the reduced jacket from Porters seem dissatisfied to one degree or another with their purchase. Theres also been comments in the forum that suggest the leather in the Porters jacket is in some way inferior. As a very interested potential purchaser of the jacket, I'm just weighing up the pros and cons before taking the plunge, so I'm grateful for your feedback.

I think with any garment that has a degree of mechanical ( I presume) and hand ageing is going to have inconsistencies. As for sizing, we have seen that with the Skyfall Barbour in its 2 guises, having 'reported' size differences. Others said the original Barbour and the department B version are sized the same. All a bit of a minefield . As for my Mr Porter purchase, I think its a bargain at the 50% reduction, for essentially a hand made and hand aged high quality leather jacket.
    Mines gone back and I'm on a waiting list in case of a return - really I think you need to try one on somewhere the sizing seems really odd - My medium which a teenager would have struggled to zip up and my XL fit for a gorilla - Hopng to get a L which by a process of elimination might do the job - Mr P customer service is good and no hesitation in sorting out returns
    Thanks for your input

"007 Reporting for Duty"