Skyfall James Bond leather jacket

Comments

• ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    well, thats a tough one. You see, if this was made with ANY other leather I would have said yes. But this is distressed sheepskin which is VERY soft, pliable and prone to darkening when any agent is put on it (more so than others). this also has gone through an artificial distressing process so trying to rub leather conditioner on it may totally change the color of the jacket. Just be sure to avoid rain with it, hang it on a deluxe suit hanger when not in use (AVOID WIRE HANGERS). Just follow the standard protocols when it comes to any other leathers but as for leather conditioner or other chemical agents, im just not so sure.
    00-Shane wrote:
    If anyone here watches 'Suits', Harvey is wearing the jacket in the latest episode!

finally watched this episode (Blindsided). great show and love all the stuff the guys wear. It seems like this jacket continues to make the rounds

suits-s02e11.png

Suits_S02E11_HDTV_x264-ASAP_mp-2.jpg
  • CRBCRB Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    After much umming and ahhing, I've bought this jacket too. The thing that got me most was the fact that it's so light and will be great in the summer, especially those nights I need to get away from the family and pursue my new hobby of downing shots at scorpion infested beach bars.

I also quite like the fact that I bought it from the same shop that the Skyfall production team bought the one in the movie. The guys there were really friendly and helpful and told me that they bought three for the film at their shop. They also said it's likely, although not guaranteed, that we will see this jacket again next season. They only make very few numbers of these items and given the amount of hand distressing on the jacket I can understand why. Also why no two are identical. I bought a Large, which fits the same as the Medium I tried from a few months ago (previous run).

And to help RSon with his label collection, here's mine:

photo-5_zpsa435a601.jpg
    thanks for posting that label CRB. That is the standardized label for all the current issued ones. It has the made in italy tag located to the right and the tiny size tag to the left. Thats the way my labels are orientated on my jacket.
  • Chri360936Chri360936 Posts: 54MI6 Agent
    edited February 2013
    Update: The folks from Bench and Loom have a medium they can exchange it for, so sorry to anyone who may have been interested. However, reach out to Bench and Loom as they'll soon have a small available.

I have a brand new LVC distressed leather from the newest batch. I love it, but it is a small, which is too small for me. Anyone in the NYC area willing to trade a medium for a small, please let me know.

Chris

I'm also willing to sell at cost, but would prefer an exchange. I also posted this message in the exchange thread.
  • timibladetimiblade Posts: 157MI6 Agent
    Guys , I know nobody cares about the problem of weight and size of the new batch. But me I'm concerned and I contacted LEVIS about this problem, first I complain about the quality and after I joined the jared_nomak's pictures where we can see the differences. They sent me two answers and I want to share the second message :

Hello ......,

Thanks for sending through the images.

I am really intrigued by these jackets. Are they both yours? Could I inquire about where you purchased them?
    Also, we never released a new batch in 2013. It would be great to see these jackets in person, where are you located?

The black leather jacket was from our Spring Summer 2012 season, I have checked, and we do not have anymore of those in stock nor am I showing any available in other retailers.

Best,
  • gregroegregroe Newport Beach, CAPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    The plot thickens
    Roe, Greg Roe¤♪♫,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°♪♫•
  • CedricCedric Posts: 94MI6 Agent
    What the hell does that mean? That the new batch from b&l and mr. porter aren't actually levi's jackets?!
  • richi717richi717 Posts: 124MI6 Agent
    Maybe this contact didn't get the memo.
  • CedricCedric Posts: 94MI6 Agent
    I sincerely hope so.
    I just got mine from B&L yesterday. If its not a levis it's a pretty damn good knock off.
  • timibladetimiblade Posts: 157MI6 Agent
    The Levis guy took one week to contact me each time because he called the factory to check.

The first message he sent before I sent the pictures and confirm the new weight and the new sizes :

Hello .........,

Nice to meet you and thank you for reaching out.

I originally seen your email last week, but have been gathering intel on the jacket to ensure that I got back to you with the correct information. I went to our head designer and merchandiser, who then went to our developer. Below is what I have gather up.

First, I would like to reassure you that we pride ourselves in producing quality garments that not only reflect great craftsmanship, but that display historical accuracy—the 1930s menlo jacket is no exception.
    -In both the original and second run of these products we never used split leather. If you were to look behind the interior lining you would be able to see that the jacket is not made of split leather; I understand that this may be hard to prove as you would not want to damage your jacket in the process. Also, non-split leather price does not change between the thickness of 0.3-1.5mm.
    -Throughout our menlo jacket production we have used a leather thickness of 0.8-0.9mm and so is the leather quality, substance and treatment.
    -The varying qualities in the jacket you may be seeing may be a by product of leather's natural and unique quality. As a jacket of this size takes 6/8 skins to produce, which may come from multiple animals, it can vary in age/weight/structure.

I hope this gives clarity. I would love to take a look at your jacket because if there is a quality issue we would surely get you taken care of.
    Please do contact me back.

Kindest Regards,
    Raul
  • CRBCRB Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    Well done timiblade, good to see that Levis are interested in their 'new' sizing. Where are they based ? I'd be happy to show them mine. Not that I want to change it as its fit me perfectly, but they should at least know that effectively the wrong size labels have been put on the newer jackets.
  • PolynikesPolynikes U.k.Posts: 276MI6 Agent
    richi717 wrote:
    I just got mine from B&L yesterday. If its not a levis it's a pretty damn good knock off.

How did you find the sizing?
    "I'm motivated by my duty"

1.SF 2.CR 3.OHMSS 4.DN 5.YOLT
    Polynikes wrote:
    richi717 wrote:

How did you find the sizing?

It fits me very well. Best fitting coat I have. I wear a size large and ordered that same size for the levis. I had to order an XL for the billy Reid and an XL for the Barbour.

The sleeves are longer, but aren't rediculously long. I am 6ft 215lbs 42 inch chest, 34 waist. If that helps.
    Thanks.... Similar size to me

• PPK packerPPK packer Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know of a North American retail shop that has these jackets?
    "No man is any good who has no enemies..." Major-General Percy Hobart.
    here is a comparo between the original season that Craig wore in the film and a 2012 rerelease.

A.) Levis Menlo Leather Jacket Size Medium

(correct season that Craig wore)

DSC06657.jpg

DSC06656.jpg

DSC06654.jpg

DSC06589.jpg

DSC06590.jpg

measurements

chest (armpit to armpit across front) 21 Inches

Sleeve Length (Shoulder seam down arm to end of cuff) 25 Inches

Backlength (base of collar seam down back) 24 Inches

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back: 19.5 (which is responsible for that droopy shoulder look)

2 Inches in waist side adjusters

B.) Levis Menlo 2012 Reissue Size Medium

DSC07097.jpg

DSC07095.jpg

DSC07096.jpg

DSC07074.jpg

DSC07075.jpg

DSC07099.jpg

DSC07100.jpg

measurements

chest (armpit to armpit across front) 20.5 Inches

Sleeve Length (Shoulder seam down arm to end of cuff) 26 Inches

Backlength (base of collar seam down back) 25.5 Inches

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam across back: 19 (which is responsible for that droopy shoulder look)

2 Inches in waist side adjusters

the main difference between the two is the measurements. I will say that the OG season jacket was well worn (I was the second owner) and the rerelease is brand new so the 'breakin in' of the jacket may account for some of the measurement disparity. The color looks relatively the same though, a deep SA chalky black. Notice the different tag placement between the two.

sorry for the crappy fit pics. They make the jacket look black but its just the lighting...
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Ive had two of the reissues (same size) and they were totally diff fit wise lol
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    agreed that the reissue fits me way better than the OG season...weird huh.
  • JG007JG007 Manchester , United KingdomPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

For sale , inbox for info , replica.
    Finally menlo number 2 arrived! I've been very nervous about this. I got rid of a large I bought before Xmas as I wasn't entirely happy with the fit which I think is essential when it is do expensive!.... I pre ordered with bench and loom in the US and then lo and behold mr porter gets a restock! I felt pretty stupid. Reports then came in that the new batch were inferior quality and a bit smaller especially length wise.... As I'm 6/3 I became even more nervous. Thankfully the bench and loom restock is every bit as high quality as the pegg and sons one was. And the fit is as advertised. 21.75 inches across chest. Just big enough. After the customs bill and the long anxious wait I finally feel ae to enjoy death! Excuse poor pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyway size wise I'm 6/2.5 215 ibs. 44 chest 34 waist. For those who still don't have one and are looking to get it: I can't recommend it enough! I think with the original batch the advice to size down is correct.... I'd normally be a large. The new batch are apparently more true to size. Hope this helps

• VinnyMacVinnyMac Posts: 246MI6 Agent
    Cedric wrote:
    What the hell does that mean? That the new batch from b&l and mr. porter aren't actually levi's jackets?!

For the sake of all of you, I sure hope that's not true, but it would make for one heck of a story, hahaha
    Having had an " old batch" menlo, the new one I have is identical enough for me not to care wherher it has been officially sanctioned by levis or not. There are lots of subtle differences between batches/seasons some have been identified by Ross and Returningson in this thread. And as they are designed to be unique in the distressing process I doubt that any two are exactly the same.

• ObiwangObiwang Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Polynikes so did you end up going with a Medium for the Bench and Loom retock? Is that the one in these pics?
    Polynikes wrote:
    Finally menlo number 2 arrived! I've been very nervous about this. I got rid of a large I bought before Xmas as I wasn't entirely happy with the fit which I think is essential when it is do expensive!.... I pre ordered with bench and loom in the US and then lo and behold mr porter gets a restock! I felt pretty stupid. Reports then came in that the new batch were inferior quality and a bit smaller especially length wise.... As I'm 6/3 I became even more nervous. Thankfully the bench and loom restock is every bit as high quality as the pegg and sons one was. And the fit is as advertised. 21.75 inches across chest. Just big enough. After the customs bill and the long anxious wait I finally feel ae to enjoy death! Excuse poor pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyway size wise I'm 6/2.5 215 ibs. 44 chest 34 waist. For those who still don't have one and are looking to get it: I can't recommend it enough! I think with the original batch the advice to size down is correct.... I'd normally be a large. The new batch are apparently more true to size. Hope this helps
    Yes mate medium. The size is as per the chart on their web page. I found the large much too roomy in the middle.

• alphaagentalphaagent Posts: 433MI6 Agent
    Polynikes wrote:
    Yes mate medium. The size is as per the chart on their web page. I found the large much too roomy in the middle.

I got an L but way to long in the arms, Anyone have an M they willing to swop?
  • abberlineabberline Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Hello everybody. Just wanted to share with you my new Menlo, from Bench and Loom. Its a size S and Im 5'8" height and 38 chest. I have to say about the pictures that the color of the jacket is very accurate. Maybe I wish the jacket were little more fitted, but Im very happy with it.

ss1_peq_zps7edc62cf.jpg
    ss2_peq_zps39ddc17c.jpg
    ss3_peq_zpsa7f31191.jpg
    ss5_peq_zpsde887628.jpg
  • DBSDBS Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,015MI6 Agent
    abberline wrote:
    Hello everybody. Just wanted to share with you my new Menlo, from Bench and Loom. Its a size S and Im 5'8" height and 38 chest. I have to say about the pictures that the color of the jacket is very accurate. Maybe I wish the jacket were little more fitted, but Im very happy with it.

Welcome to the Forum, abberline! Great first post - your pics look very professional. And may I say the jacket looks fantastic! I think the fit looks great, aside from the length of the sleeves. I have the same issue with my Menlo - just waiting to find a competent leathersmith to make the adjustments. Again, welcome aboard, and I look forward to seeing more of your pics in the future.

Kindest regards,
    Craig
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    DBS wrote:
    abberline wrote:

Welcome to the Forum, abberline! Great first post - your pics look very professional. And may I say the jacket looks fantastic! I think the fit looks great, aside from the length of the sleeves. I have the same issue with my Menlo - just waiting to find a competent leathersmith to make the adjustments. Again, welcome aboard, and I look forward to seeing more of your pics in the future.

Kindest regards,
    Craig

It really does look great in those pics; some of the "catalogue" pics make it look really light in colour. I'm really liking the darker look in these pics.