Skyfall Lodge Jacket

Comments

• PhilweezerPhilweezer Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    Traveler wrote:
    Just got mine back from the Barbour store after they did the button and zip modifications. It only took three weeks in the end. Collar without the zip looks perfect. The areas where the buttons used to be are a little 'pinched' but in theory that's supposed to flatten out and blend in over time.... We'll see. I asked about getting it re-waxed to smooth it over, and the store manager advised against it for now. Apparently someone had that done, and because the fabric of this jacket is so thin, the wax soaked all the way through and ruined the lining. Anyway, here are the pics, lighting not great as its already dark, but here goes :

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    So are they saying you shouldn't re-wax this jacket or just those spots where you removed those items?
  • TravelerTraveler NYCPosts: 65MI6 Agent
    She was referring to getting the whole jacket done - I guess they applied too much wax to the whole thing so it soaked right through. They offered him a refund as they couldn't get any more jackets. Just something to be aware of.....
  • VinnyMacVinnyMac Posts: 246MI6 Agent
    Traveler wrote:
    She was referring to getting the whole jacket done - I guess they applied too much wax to the whole thing so it soaked right through. They offered him a refund as they couldn't get any more jackets. Just something to be aware of.....

lol...

The jacket looks good. What was the cost?
    Traveler wrote:
    Well that sounds like a mess up on their end. I was told to get mine done every few years. I'm not saying you're wrong but there are lesser oz fabric they use and I doubt Barbour cannot service even those.
  • CrwilsnCrwilsn Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    I think the issue with the waxing is that the jacket is still relatively new. Most jackets don't get re waxed until a couple of years of use. By then some of the wax is worn off in the cloth can soak in more.
  • otacon 01otacon 01 Posts: 74MI6 Agent
    I've been lurking for a while around here, but the button spacing issue is making me come out of the dark. I hope no one minds too much if I return us to that discussion, as I had a question I don't think had really been discussed much. It'll be a little nit-picky.

My jacket, unfortunately, is with equal button spacing. It's almost a good thing, because the pocket buttons seem to line up with the bottom button, which is an equal distance relative to the others, but something about it seemed kind of off to me, and it might have been how much farther down it is than a typical sport's jacket's bottom button. I'm wondering if anyone asked Barbour about having another button added in the proper location, and also if they considered how to mend the erroneously placed button hole. Stitching it shut might be one option, or perhaps patching it as they would do in a repair? My only worry is that it'd mess with the clean-ness of the jacket. (I know the waxing really helps makes repairs disappear--I wasn't planning on having it rewaxed for a year or so though, even though mine is already showing some wear here and there. I'll probably have the sleeves shortened then, too.)

The alternative is to keep the button there and either get used to it or have them add a button hole and button where there should be one and just ignore the bottom one, but I worry this might be a little too busy.

Thoughts and ideas? Any pics of "filled in" button holes from anywhere else?
    otacon 01 wrote:
    I've been lurking for a while around here, but the button spacing issue is making me come out of the dark. I hope no one minds too much if I return us to that discussion, as I had a question I don't think had really been discussed much. It'll be a little nit-picky.

My jacket, unfortunately, is with equal button spacing. It's almost a good thing, because the pocket buttons seem to line up with the bottom button, which is an equal distance relative to the others, but something about it seemed kind of off to me, and it might have been how much farther down it is than a typical sport's jacket's bottom button. I'm wondering if anyone asked Barbour about having another button added in the proper location, and also if they considered how to mend the erroneously placed button hole. Stitching it shut might be one option, or perhaps patching it as they would do in a repair? My only worry is that it'd mess with the clean-ness of the jacket. (I know the waxing really helps makes repairs disappear--I wasn't planning on having it rewaxed for a year or so though, even though mine is already showing some wear here and there. I'll probably have the sleeves shortened then, too.)

The alternative is to keep the button there and either get used to it or have them add a button hole and button where there should be one and just ignore the bottom one, but I worry this might be a little too busy.

Thoughts and ideas? Any pics of "filled in" button holes from anywhere else?
    If it were me, I'd advise against trying to fix it. I would try trading it with someone who does want a non-SA version. If that doesn't work, contact Barbour to see if they can do it.
  • MaturinMaturin Posts: 18MI6 Agent
    I too would leave it alone! More likely to make it worse than better....
    People are going to think "There's a smartly dressed chap in a great coat" rather than "ooh look at button in the wrong place"
  • PointfiveOPointfiveO Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Contact Barbour customer services they were swapping them out, not sure if they still have any as they had run out of XL when I tried to get mine exchanged.

Incidentally Aspecto and Cultizm had some XL's recently from what I can work out from what people are selling on ebay that had SA button placement. It's really hit and miss as to what you will get, I've seen M, L , XL and XXL's with both button layouts.

best bet is to try and swap it out or get a SA one and sell the other one on to cover the cost as they both seem to sell roughly for the same on ebay.
  • drugtestdrugtest Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    If you truly want a rare To Ki To Sports Jacket, check out the Japanese version:

http://maps1991.seesaa.net/article/299970038.html
  • ReturningsonReturningson Posts: 560MI6 Agent
    thats really cool. Almost like a stealth black. The green fits more with the roughin' it vibe that they were trying to convey though. Still like it! ;)
  • jnicktemjnicktem Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I just received my own Barbour lodge jacket- fits perfectly! I can see though how it doesn't really breathe very well. The lining somehow absorbs sweat by bypassing my shirt. Remarkable.

Question- people say these jackets were a limited edition. How many we're made?

Thanks again Returningson for the jacket!
  • otacon 01otacon 01 Posts: 74MI6 Agent
    Philweezer wrote:
    If it were me, I'd advise against trying to fix it. I would try trading it with someone who does want a non-SA version. If that doesn't work, contact Barbour to see if they can do it.

I've already worn (and sweat in) it quite a bit, so I don't think I'd find anyone wanting it haha. Thanks for the suggestion though. I just contacted Barbour. I'm not sure their repairs department likes answering my emails, but I sent one to their regular customer service email this time.
    Maturin wrote:
    I too would leave it alone! More likely to make it worse than better....
    People are going to think "There's a smartly dressed chap in a great coat" rather than "ooh look at button in the wrong place"

I probably will. It's more for my own aesthetic than anything--I think the SA version looks more authentic, somehow, and this ends up looking a tad bit more like a raincoat. Funny how much an inch and a half can change.
    PointfiveO wrote:
    Contact Barbour customer services they were swapping them out, not sure if they still have any as they had run out of XL when I tried to get mine exchanged.

Incidentally Aspecto and Cultizm had some XL's recently from what I can work out from what people are selling on ebay that had SA button placement. It's really hit and miss as to what you will get, I've seen M, L , XL and XXL's with both button layouts.

best bet is to try and swap it out or get a SA one and sell the other one on to cover the cost as they both seem to sell roughly for the same on ebay.

Mine's a medium so I'm probably out of luck. I actually bought this one on Ebay, too, and had to fight a bit for it. I bought it from a seller in the UK (I'm in the US) because the prices were so much cheaper. Thanks for the idea though, I asked Barbour about an exchange.
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    drugtest wrote:
    If you truly want a rare To Ki To Sports Jacket, check out the Japanese version:

http://maps1991.seesaa.net/article/299970038.html

Great find! I had only seen one pic of this style before; it's great to be able to see how many details are different with all of the different shots here. I can see this one being featured in SF if they hadn't used the whole "low-tech vs high tech" approach to the final battle...
  • UnionjackUnionjack Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    Just a note regarding rewaxing, from my personal experience. I had a Barbour long ago, and it saw about 6 years of daily use and was still waterproof as far as I recall. Anyway, the edges of the cuffs and pockets started to wear, so we sent it in to Barbour to get that patched, which came out nicely, and also decided to get it rewaxed as recommended.

Well, it came back with a lot of wax on it, which was getting all over things, and felt unpleasant. I never liked wearing it as much after that. So a note of caution, do not be in a hurry to get your jackets rewaxed. FWIW.

Cheers.
    +1. A jacket rewaxing is only really necessary after probably a year and a half or more of HARD use. Ive bought plenty of pre-owned Belstaffs and never had to rewax one even though some were heavily used.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    +1. A jacket rewaxing is only really necessary after probably a year and a half or more of HARD use. Ive bought plenty of pre-owned Belstaffs and never had to rewax one even though some were heavily used.

I've never had to re-wax a Bar-B as regularly as that. Every four/five years of hard use is fine as long as you look after it with a tin of dressing.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    it just depends on how much wear you put it through. There is not concrete time frame as it varies due to the individual who wears it and the activities/weather its been put through. My brother had a barbour he wore when he worked construction and I rewaxed it after 18 months. It needed it but he used it literally every single day. These garments are made to last your entire life with proper care.
    cross-posted with the Budget Alternatives thread:

Here is the Barbour Lodge jacket with the Pringle sweater, ordered from the Edinburgh Mill Works, and the Sonoma Life + Style cords in chocolate torte, ordered from Kohl's and also findable on ebay:

2013_03_16_18_12_41_185.jpg
  • Andrew CraigAndrew Craig Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    drugtest wrote:
    cross-posted with the Budget Alternatives thread:

Here is the Barbour Lodge jacket with the Pringle sweater, ordered from the Edinburgh Mill Works, and the Sonoma Life + Style cords in chocolate torte, ordered from Kohl's and also findable on ebay:

2013_03_16_18_12_41_185.jpg

Nice crotch shot..lol just kidding you :)) . Thanks for the photo... You can get the same coloured sweaters from River Island for £20 i have two of them
    Thanks! I used a model who could really fill 'em out.

2013_03_16_18_13_43_67.jpg
  • VinnyMacVinnyMac Posts: 246MI6 Agent
    don p wrote:

I see that there's a 10 voucher for every 150 spent. It can only be used on future purchases, so it won't help with the purchase of this jacket, but if someone does decide to pull the trigger, it would be nice if they'd give the voucher to a fellow forum-mate to use towards his jacket.

#goodkarma
    drugtest wrote:
    Thanks! I used a model who could really fill 'em out.

2013_03_16_18_13_43_67.jpg

LoL just saw that picture on my phone at first .. i thought you meant a human model with a bigger crotch then you....now on my computer i understand what you meant by model :)) :)) :))
    I slept on that pillow last night, now I'm feeling a little queasy. Did I just have a "Crying Game" moment? :#
  • Mc_FlyMc_Fly Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    Is the original To Ki To jacket still available anywhere ?
  • redandwhitemonkeyredandwhitemonkey Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Mc_Fly wrote:
    Is the original To Ki To jacket still available anywhere ?

Hi,

I have a size small for sale at the minute, BNWT, just not the correct size/fit for me:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140933508479&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123
  • RobNRobN Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    JG007 wrote:
    Anyone in the uk or in the Manchester area (either dont mind) got an x to ki to size medium for sale? Don't wanna pay the ludicrous ebay prices. Would be great help and very much appreciated. Pm me please - cheers fellas

Hi,

I'm in London with a new To Ki To Medium for sale.

If you're still looking email me on robnielsen@btinternet.com

Cheers, Rob.
    I know this is off topic but just to let you know i have made a Dialer for the iPhone. I am an iPhone themer and though if anybody here has a jailbroken iPhone then they can download this via Cydia once i have submitted it

skyfall_Template1.jpg
    Others have made this point about the sizing of the jacket, but I'll reiterate: it does give a bit and stretch out after some usage. I opted for the Medium and it still felt too tight around the armholes the first couple times I wore it, but I do feel a little more comfortable in it. Could just be me getting used to it, but more I think it's that the jacket is stretching out a little.

I have a thin, light Patagonia Nano Puff jacket that I'm hoping will eventually fit under the Sports Jacket as a kind of lining to make it better suited to colder weather when layered and at first I thought this was a pipe dream, but I think it will end up working pretty well.

So do I need to send it to Barbour if I want the sleeves shorted a little?