Comments

• double oh sevendouble oh seven Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    Count me in! -{
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I'll take an Istanbul, please.
  • WardlemWardlem Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    I'm in for all of them
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    I would be in for a "London National Gallery".
  • GaryD_007GaryD_007 Near the Bonnie BanksPosts: 579MI6 Agent
    006 wrote:
    Guys and girls,

I have just come off the phone with my contact at Tom Ford, and an inquiry is being placed.

I am putting an order for 10 ties for each style, the styles are:

Istanbul

London National Gallery

Granborough Road

Now I need numbers, I already have some expressions of interest, which means at this moment there are 6 ties of each style on offer. I am open to accommodating further expressions of interest and will be reflected in any final order.

I am seeing what the costs are and the availability of the fabric, once this has been agreed then I will post the process.

If you're interested or have any q's e-mail or pm me.

PM & email sent!

Hope I'm not too late. In any event, thank you for sharing! :D

Kind regards,
    Gary.
  • db5.007db5.007 SwitzerlandPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Hello

Hope not too late for me to come on board so if still on time count me in for :

London National Gallery
    Granborough Road

Suggest to put a thought also on the tie of the last sequence in the MI6 offices - thint that is also a great choice.

Plse let me know what I should do next.

Thanks
    "Surround yourself with human beings, they are easier to fight for than principles.”
  • 006006 Posts: 258MI6 Agent
    Hi all

Many thanks for your overwhelming support

I have noted all the expression of interests and will pm everyone once i've cleared my outbox.

If you still want to get involved please feel free to pm or e-mail me, the main thing is to ensure everyone has a fair opportunity to get their desired Skyfall ties(s)

Once again many thanks, and i'll be in touch

For England James?

Instagram: instagram.com/tie_another_day
  • db5.007db5.007 SwitzerlandPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    PM Sent
    "Surround yourself with human beings, they are easier to fight for than principles.”
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    All

Thinking of selling tf skyfall tie, accurate bar width. Unworn...

I was lucky enough to grab one of the 8 that appeared

PM offers if interested

M
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • rebentonrebenton Birmingham ALPosts: 276MI6 Agent
    007JBDCMWR wrote:
    All

Thinking of selling tf skyfall tie, accurate bar width. Unworn...

I was lucky enough to grab one of the 8 that appeared

PM offers if interested

M

PM sent
    Hi everyone

Thank you all for your enquiries

I am off to bed now and will post some pics when I have daylight to capture the tri colour

To clarify it is the rare tie from the HQ / meeting with Q scenes. Just normal TF width and not SA narrow / skinny version, you would need to have it tailored to be SA

Unworn

M

• othertravelothertravel Posts: 437MI6 Agent
    That was a great eBay sale. I wish all TF bond ties popped up in high quantities.
    edited October 2013
    All

Don't understand why but system keeps saying invalid file, guess its the size of the pic due to new camera

If you send me your email addresses, I will send you pics straight through

It is identical to the tie Welshboy has pics up of further back in this thread on page 8 (7th Dec)

Substantial offer received from a very reliable AJB'er, thank you

Will close today as want this to go to a true Bond fan on here rather than fleabay

Cheers

M

• GaryD_007GaryD_007 Near the Bonnie BanksPosts: 579MI6 Agent
    007JBDCMWR wrote:
    All

Don't understand why but system keeps saying invalid file, guess its the size of the pic due to new camera

If you send me your email addresses, I will send you pics straight through

It is identical to the tie Welshboy has pics up of further back in this thread on page 8 (7th Dec)

Substantial offer received from a very reliable AJB'er, thank you

Will close today as want this to go to a true Bond fan on here rather than fleabay

Cheers

M

Email sent.
    All

Thank you so much for all your interest

Wasn't willing to enter an auction and sold to first in - Congrats !!!

M

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Did anyone ever get the correct SKyFall tuxedo bowtie?
  • DBSDBS Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,015MI6 Agent
    Sorry to be the "Debbie Downer" of this part of the discussion, but I don't believe the "Meet Q" tie or the "Whitehall" tie have been positively ID'd. While there are certainly viable candidates for these ties that have popped up, there has been no positive confirmation. Same goes for the "Skyfall Lodge" scarf and the Liberty's "Whitehall" scarf. I think it would be correct to say that we've found "close enoughs" until someone is able to get confirmation from a credible source. Unfortunately, there won't be tie swatch cards from Rittenhouse - the only two that were released were the two that have already been positively ID'd - the PTS Istanbul tie, and the Granborough Road/London chase tie.

We all know how deceiving the colors are on a TF tie. I've personally held 3 different ties that, at first glance, looked to be the Greene Planet Party tie from "QoS," but only one was the real deal. There were subtle differences in the colors that were only clear upon looking at them in person, and even side by side. In fact, there's one for sale on eBay right now that the seller insists is the correct tie; but rather, it's one of these variants. I think it wise that "alleged" or "close enough" or "suspected' be used when selling these ties in hopes of not misleading any prospective buyers. I'd hate to see someone cough up several hundred dollars for something they think is the genuine article, but in fact, it's not.

Dave, to answer your question, I almost picked up the bow tie from TF at the beginning of summer. It's a beautiful slim, grosgrain tie, but I couldn't justify the $245 price tag given that I wear a tuxedo once in a blue moon.

Kind regards,
    Craig
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    DBS wrote:
    Dave, to answer your question, I almost picked up the bow tie from TF at the beginning of summer. It's a beautiful slim, grosgrain tie, but I couldn't justify the $245 price tag given that I wear a tuxedo once in a blue moon.

Kind regards,
    Craig

Are you sure the SA bow tie is grosgrain? It's difficult to tell from the Blu-ray (I can't see any ribs), but the lapels of the dinner jacket are confirmed to be satin and a grosgrain bow tie would clash.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • othertravelothertravel Posts: 437MI6 Agent
    DBS wrote:
    Sorry to be the "Debbie Downer" of this part of the discussion, but I don't believe the "Meet Q" tie or the "Whitehall" tie have been positively ID'd. While there are certainly viable candidates for these ties that have popped up, there has been no positive confirmation. Same goes for the "Skyfall Lodge" scarf and the Liberty's "Whitehall" scarf. I think it would be correct to say that we've found "close enoughs" until someone is able to get confirmation from a credible source. Unfortunately, there won't be tie swatch cards from Rittenhouse - the only two that were released were the two that have already been positively ID'd - the PTS Istanbul tie, and the Granborough Road/London chase tie.

We all know how deceiving the colors are on a TF tie. I've personally held 3 different ties that, at first glance, looked to be the Greene Planet Party tie from "QoS," but only one was the real deal. There were subtle differences in the colors that were only clear upon looking at them in person, and even side by side. In fact, there's one for sale on eBay right now that the seller insists is the correct tie; but rather, it's one of these variants. I think it wise that "alleged" or "close enough" or "suspected' be used when selling these ties in hopes of not misleading any prospective buyers. I'd hate to see someone cough up several hundred dollars for something they think is the genuine article, but in fact, it's not.

Kind regards,
    Craig

I think the 'Meet Q' tie has been ID'd with high certainty. It's one of the only ties from the movie where we have a hi-def close up pic (thanks to the book).

Comparing the pics of the tie from the Skyfall book with the ones that popped on ebay a while back, it looks like a solid match. I've seen other colour variations of the 3-tone 'Meet Q tie', and none have been close to the blue, navy, charcoal shade that's seen in the movie.

The one on ebay right now is only 2 tones I believe. Not the skyfall tie.

Based on my visits to various outlets, all (or most) of the skyfall ties are from the same season. The Istanbul pattern is ubiquitous at the outlets, but not the movie-used colour.

I also found a close version of the grenadine/loose weave tie from the movie that has the same pattern but a different weave.

So in conclusion, I think the ties are from 2011-12.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Hmmm, debate on the bowtie.....looking to pick one up....
    Matt S wrote:
    DBS wrote:

Kind regards,
    Craig

Are you sure the SA bow tie is grosgrain? It's difficult to tell from the Blu-ray (I can't see any ribs), but the lapels of the dinner jacket are confirmed to be satin and a grosgrain bow tie would clash.

Almost positive that it's grosgrain. It's been a few months, but I remember being shown the tie as well as the TF Style Book with the details in it. I am positive that the bowtie is tagged as "James Bond" in the TF book, like the suits. Wish I had at least written down the style number.

Kind regards,
    Craig
    DBS wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    DBS wrote:

Kind regards,
    Craig

Almost positive that it's grosgrain. It's been a few months, but I remember being shown the tie as well as the TF Style Book with the details in it. I am positive that the bowtie is tagged as "James Bond" in the TF book, like the suits. Wish I had at least written down the style number.

Kind regards,
    Craig

Aren't there a lot of ties that are tagged "James Bond"? Are the suits correct in the book? I thought the Bond suits in the book were the button-two models? It doesn't give me much faith. I'll look at the film closer and see if I can spot any ribs in the bow tie.

If the bow tie actually is grosgrain, that's a significant mistake on the part of the costume designer. A grosgrain bow tie should never be worn with a dinner jacket that has satin lapels.
    The ties weren't tagged "James Bond" by TF. Those popped up on tags from Selfridges, etc. but TF wasn't responsible for that... and for good reason as they weren't the correct ties anyway. Not sure about the suits. I've read the debate about the 2-button vs. 3-button, but as those are out of my price range, I haven't been following that closely. I got a chance to view the "Skyfall" costumes on display at the FIDM here in Los Angeles, including the Macau tuxedo, and I'm almost positive that tie has a fine grosgrain on it. I'm reaching out to my contact at TF for more info. I think David is on the matter as well.

Kind regards,
    Craig
    edited October 2013
    DBS wrote:
    The ties weren't tagged "James Bond" by TF. Those popped up on tags from Selfridges, etc. but TF wasn't responsible for that... and for good reason as they weren't the correct ties anyway. Not sure about the suits. I've read the debate about the 2-button vs. 3-button, but as those are out of my price range, I haven't been following that closely. I got a chance to view the "Skyfall" costumes on display at the FIDM here in Los Angeles, including the Macau tuxedo, and I'm almost positive that tie has a fine grosgrain on it. I'm reaching out to my contact at TF for more info. I think David is on the matter as well.

Kind regards,
    Craig

From what I've seen and heard, Tom Ford doesn't sell the screen accurate suits ready-to-wear, since they sell button-two suits and Craig only wears button-three suits. Yet they label the button-two suits as the "James Bond Style", even though they aren't.

The Christie's auction featured a grosgrain bow tie with the dinner suit. Here's a screenshot from the Blu-ray:

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Skyfall-Bow-Tie.png

When I make some brightness adjustments to the image I can see faint lengthwise ribs:

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Skyfall-Bow-Tie-Enhanced.png

So it does appear to be grosgrain, but it's not the grosgrain bow tie from the auction. The grosgrain bow tie at the auction has the usual crosswise ribs, and the ribs are heavier, making that bow tie look more rigid. Nevertheless, it's a slight faux pas that the bow tie and lapels don't match.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys find out.
    edited October 2013
    The one on ebay right now is only 2 tones I believe. Not the skyfall tie.

Based on my visits to various outlets, all (or most) of the skyfall ties are from the same season. The Istanbul pattern is ubiquitous at the outlets, but not the movie-used colour.

I also found a close version of the grenadine/loose weave tie from the movie that has the same pattern but a different weave.

So in conclusion, I think the ties are from 2011-12.

Othertravel,

Apologies if I was unclear in my post. The tie on eBay that I referenced was a variant of the "QoS" Greene Planet Party tie, not a "Skyfall" tie. Here was the listing - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-TOM-FORD-Quantum-of-Solace-Blue-Diamond-Weave-Silk-Neck-Tie-/141077203555?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=1xZ2HSIlGjDXKyZJkZdPNsD5Dqo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
    My point was to emphasize the large number of subtle color variances in a single tie pattern that has become a standard for Tom Ford. You bring up the Istanbul pattern, which also drives home my point. I've seen at least 6 different color variants in this pattern alone; many have popped up here as reference.

As for the season that these ties were picked from, "Skyfall" was in pre-production in Summer/Fall 2011, so Fall 2011/Spring 2012 ties would certainly be available to Jany and her team to choose from. But I also think she had a pick from future season(s), most likely her choice from the full range of TF fabrics. While she chose familiar patterns, she selected some color schemes that clearly didn't make it into production runs at TF - sad news for all of us who wanted these ties.

Kind regards,
    Craig
  • 006006 Posts: 258MI6 Agent
    Guys and girls,

Just to let you know I am putting on hold of my order for Skyfall TF ties as Othertravel has managed to secure a production of the ties (http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/42740/skyfall-ties-are-available-to-order-open-this-thread/)

It makes sense to combine efforts into one and othertravel has managed to secure it at a great price!
    For England James?

Instagram: instagram.com/tie_another_day
    DC wore the same bowtie to last year's Brittania Awards ceremony. Here's a good pic of it -

daniel-craig-bafta-britannia-awards1.jpg

Kind regards,
    Craig
    Thanks for posting that photo, Craig. It's a very nice bow tie, but it's a shame he doesn't wear it so well.
  • 96mn1296mn12 Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Thanks for posting that photo, Craig. It's a very nice bow tie, but it's a shame he doesn't wear it so well.

why? That is, why do you say he doesnt wear it well?
    96mn12 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

why? That is, why do you say he doesnt wear it well?

In black tie, the bow tie should match the lapels, or at least be very similar. Satin lapels need a satin bow tie, and grosgrain lapels need a bow tie in grosgrain, faille or another texture (like barathea). The grosgrain bow tie is a poor match with the satin lapels. I don't know why this was done. It looks like Bond lost his satin bow tie.