The Silencer & Black Garter

1307308309310311313»

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,880MI6 Agent

I think it's pretty clear that a lot of gay people have embraced ESC. The gay pride parade in the nearest town is for example on the same day as the song competition. While I haven't seen the whole of ESC in decades I do see bits of it on the news etc. The gay influence on the show isn't the reason I don't watch it, I stopped years before the gay factor became this strong. It seems pretty clear that a large part of the gay communities have embraced the ESC and the other way around. This year's winner is one example. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it just isn't my cup of tea.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,783Chief of Staff

There is an awful lot to unpack there, N24…some of it is probably offensive….

And “This year’s winner is one example.” Example of what exactly? 🤔

YNWA 97
    edited May 12

A recent example of the impact of LGBTQ+ culture on ESC. I'm surprised that saying ESC is popular with the LGBTO+ community and it has influenced the competition i scontroversial, since I've seen people from that community saying so in media many times and the whole show celebrates LGBTQ+.

• JillspectreJillspectre Posts: 13MI6 Agent

so bad "Thunderpussy", but I am Jill in the USA I think that you are entertaining

Thunderpussy is an other member of AJB. Was it him you were thinking of?

Is it me who's entertaining, or him? if it's me - thank you! 😀

edited May 12

i wonder, sir Miles, what you find offensive? I had no intention of offending, so please tell me what the problem is.

It's low on musical quality and high on the gayness scale.

That will do for a start…just exactly what is a “gayness scale”?

And…

This year's winner is one example.

I’d love you to explain that comment too…unless you just mean ‘a human being’? 🤔

YNWA 97
    edited May 12

I explained what I meant by the "example" comment a few posts ago. I stand by what I said about the quality of the music and how influenced the show is by gay culture, but please note that I never said the quality of the music is low because of the way LGBTO+ community has embraced ESC and the other way around. "The gayness scale" was a way to say the ESC is pretty influenced by gay culture. There is no such scale as far as I know, so it was just a light-hearted way to say this.

If you find a gay person who's hurt or offended by what I wrote I'll delete my post and post an apology. But until that happens, maybe we should find something more worthwhile to be upset about than me writing that the ESC rates pretty high on the gayness scale? 🙂

edited May 13

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion on the quality, or lack thereof, in the music…what I find irresponsible and a little ‘closed minded’ is you saying that “this years winner is one example”….the winner ISN’T gay….so I don’t know what you mean by your comment 🤷🏻‍♂️

YNWA 97
    edited May 13

He is LGBTQ+. I still find it amazing that someone gets upset because I say the ESC is influenced by gay and other LGBTQ+ culture.

HE is NOT….THEY are non-binary. Just like Ireland’s contestant Bambie Thug. I don’t think that’s too difficult to understand. You do know Nemo had to smuggle in their Non-binary flag as it was against ESC rules?

Be amazed then.

I’m more amazed that someone has a “gayness scale” 😕

Perhaps best left here…take to PM’s….

YNWA 97

Okay ...

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,780MI6 Agent

(TB2 is polishing glasses, while happily humming the main Star Wars theme)

25 years since Epiaode I was released!

Where has the time gone? Watxhed it last night and I still enjoy it as much as ever.

What's everyone else's take on the early days of a A galaxy far far away?

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,630Chief of Staff

It's never been a favourite but that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,421MI6 Agent

Utter garbage, and 2 & 3. Ruins the legacy of 4, 5 and 6.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,630Chief of Staff

I disagree that it's utter garbage. Sure, Lucas made many avoidable mistakes (JarJar, basing the plot on uninteresting politics, JarJar, some of the casting choices, JarJar, relying too much on still developing CGI, JarJar) but there's plenty to enjoy there. I'll name one- John Williams.

The next two were better, even if only incrementally. He was never going to top 4,5,6 and some might say he didn't try.

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,780MI6 Agent

I can tell you two bypassed the sequels!

They are written so badly it made my ears bleed.

I'd be the first to agree Jar Jar was too noisy and slapstick in all the wrong places. The politics form the bedrock of what comes later.

But in the end, I put it down as pure entertainment, and can enjoy it as much as ROTJ.

I can reccomend the Clone Wars animated series too. Fills in all the blanks and clears up the dead ends from films 2 and 3. Very well written too.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

I've seen most of the SW movies, but mainly because they're there. Those movies never set up home in my head like James Bond does. Maybe it's because I didn't see a single SW movie until I was in my late teens (Shock! Horror!!) and I have a theory that those movies has the strongest impaect on the minds of ten-year olds.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,421MI6 Agent

I actually enjoyed 7,8 and 9 😂 they were entertaining in a mindless way, and it was nice to see the old gang again.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

I'll be forward and promote the story "Partisans in the Arctic", an incredible and true WWII story most Norwegians haven't heard and I suspect next to no foreigners know:

Part 1: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/51043/real-stories-from-the-world-of-espionage-and-special-operations#latest

Part 2: https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/51043/real-stories-from-the-world-of-espionage-and-special-operations#latest

The "agent cave" that's at the core of the story:

edited June 1

Today I started thinking about pub names, something I rarely do due to bein a Scandinavian tee-totaler. Not ll pub names are as good and original as this fine establishment. Nor as up to date. How many Black Swan or Dragon & Lady are there?

Isn't it time we get pub names like The Influencer & The iPhone? Font & Meme? The Royal & Photoshop? 😁

edited June 1

I really think the pub business needs to modernize. I mean, is there even a "Fake News & Social Media" where one can drop in for a pint?

The Face Palm? The Chillax? The Manspread? Drunk-Curious?

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,717MI6 Agent

The Dragonpol would get my vote for a pub name. It's also nice to meet another teetotaler. We're few and far between these days. 🍺

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

It's very un- Bondian of us. 😆

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,717MI6 Agent

Yes, indeed it is. Still, it takes all sorts to make a world. 😀

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).