FIFA World Cup 2014

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Do you mean we had style in the 70s or
    We had style in our 70s ? :p :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,636Chief of Staff
    Another good game even though it's 0-0 after 90mins...USA have been terrific so far and nearly pinched it at the end...looking forward to extra time !
    YNWA 97
    Second goal for Belgium, sorry for USA, doubt they'll be able to
    Counter this.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Bloody hell, The USA scored. {[]
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Incredible action in extra time.
    Brilliant match, sorry to see The USA lose, they played with so much
    Heart and determination, they just wouldn't give in ! {[] -{
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    A deserved win for Belgium. They outplayed us for most of the match. Howard was the only thing keeping the game tied for a while. Valiant effort in extra time to try to make a miraculous comeback.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    LOL

bildschirmfotoh3l71u0sgv.png
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    :)) :)) :))
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Best match of the tournament so far. Gripping stuff, great chances and some tremendous skill. I didn't give the US a chance when Belgium got their second goal, but what a comeback. Fantastic ball from Bradley and fantastic finish by Green.

Belgium v Argentina should be interesting. I think Belgium is the better side but I'm still giving the edge to Argentina.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    OK, some thoughts after the round of 16:
    -- Count me as a thoroughly exhausted and proud American. Clearly we lost to a better side, but we were valiant. Performances like this one can only help grow the sport here.
    -- Tim Howard...are you kidding me? What an amazing performance in goal.
    -- Although group-winners prevailed in every game, and although all the favorites remain, my big takeaway from the round is that the gap between the top national sides and the next tier has gotten very narrow. Chile, Mexico, Algeria, Switzerland and the US all could have won their matches with a bounce here or a break there, even though they were the inferior teams. No, none of them actually broke through with a win, but in World Cups past most of these games would have been strolls in the park for the better sides. Not so anymore, and I have to think that is a trend that is here to stay.
    -- I watched the Netherlands-Mexico game at a house full of Dutch expats. Suffice it to say it was a rollercoaster of emotions. I was hoping Mexico would win, but wasn't stupid enough to let that be known. By the way, although I hate Robben and his theatrics, the penalty had to be called IMO.
    -- James Rodriguez is making himself an absolute fortune with his performance. So, for that matter, might his club Monaco, which just bought him for about $50 million. Does anyone doubt that he's worth far more than that now? They could flip him like a piece of real estate and make a huge profit.

Predictions for the quarterfinals:
    -- Germany will beat France. While France have been surprisingly good and Germany surprisingly mediocre, the Germans will figure it out. The biggest reason will not be at the front but rather at the back, where, if Low has half a brain, he will keep Lahm instead of playing him in midfield where he gets lost.
    -- Netherlands will beat Costa Rica, as much as I hope otherwise. Los Ticos are a wonderful story, but it's hard to see them as anything but another Mexico. The Dutch talent will win out -- hell, Van Persie can only improve on his invisible performance vs. Mexico.
    -- Argentina vs. Belgium. This is a toughie. I think Messi figures out a way to get it done. But the Argentinian defense had better have some answers for De Bruyne, who was far and away the best player on the pitch in the game against the US.
    -- Brazil vs. Colombia. By far the most interesting match for me. The most in-form side against the presumptive home favorites. The freewheeling, nothing-to-lose outsiders against the massive weight of national expectation. Neymar the established superstar vs. Rodriguez the emerging one. The Brazilians have been exposed as a side with one transcendant player and a bunch of serviceable component parts. Despite the crazy transfer fees for the likes of David Luiz, there is no equivalent on this team of Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka or Roberto Carlos to back-up the equivalent of Ronaldo. So, here's what I think will happen: Neymar will either grab a couple of quick goals to decide the contest early, or it will be a nail-biter like the Chile game. There is no in-between scenario in my eyes. But either way, Brazil wins.

Think maybe I'm a little too into this? :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
    My thoughts are along the same line as yours Sir Hillary. I think France is better than Germany, have more skillful players and have played better...but like you said, I think Germany will 'figure it out' and win. Holland over CR. Love the Dutch, but love the underdog romance of CR doing well, but I think they've played to their limits whereas Holland still hasn't come close to doing what they're capable of. Belgium has been far superior to Argentina in every area of the pitch except one: Lionel Messi. If Belgium can take Messi out of the game without leaving two other Argentine players unmarked, they stand a chance...but I think Argentina will squeak through. Colombia have been the best team in the tournament so far. They are the only side who have been playing lovely football as an entire team. I think they can kick it up a notch too, but I think Brazil will win this one. They will be interesting though!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Brilliant match, sorry to see The USA lose, they played with so much
    Heart and determination, they just wouldn't give in ! {[] -{

Agreed. Loved the game last night.

Started off wanting Belgium to win but changed my allegiance when I saw the spirit in the US side.

Put us to shame.
    {[] they should show it to Rooney and Co, on a regular basis. :D
    Pretty much agree with the way Sir Hillary sees it for the quarter finals...

On James Rodriquez though - Monaco are arguably THE richest club side in the world (I know both PSG and Man City lay claim to that title), but they also offer a great tax-break :)) So why would they sell him for profit - especially if they want to be taken seriously as a 'big player' in European football ? He cost them €45m so they would be looking for north of €70m minimum ! Real Madrid really haven't got the money - although that rarely stops them - and Barcelona are spending all their money on Louis Suarez (a deal that could be complete by this weekend)...assuming Rodriguez wants to play in Spain (logical option), then it leaves him short of teams...they only chance for a move would be for Real Madrid to sell 3-4 players to fund the deal...eventually FFP will kick in and hurt some teams - just look at the business Chelsea have had to do !
    YNWA 97
    My thoughts are along the same line as yours Sir Hillary. I think France is better than Germany, have more skillful players

Here I disagree.

I am sure that Germany has the better players but the question is, if e.g. Özil hides again (what he always does in important matches, if Khedira gets more routined after his injury etc.

On paper, we have the far better players!

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Think maybe I'm a little too into this?

Nope says another proud American! {[]
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Think maybe I'm a little too into this?

Nope says another proud American! {[]

Not only did they make the US proud but made us true footie fans proud also ,that was a good day for football
    they walked off that pitch with (as John Wayne would say TRUE GRIT) real sportsman cant wait for the next world cup USA in the final possibly 8-)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Bondtoys wrote:

On paper, we have the far better players!

"On paper..." I agree that Germany have the better players, but we haven't seen that yet in this tournament. On the pitch so far, France have looked better and more skillful in my opinion. If the 'real' Germany turn up, it will be different, and even if they don't - and I have my doubts that they will - I still think you'll do enough to beat France.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    I reckon we will see an upset in the next round with either Brazil or Argentina to be knocked out
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Hope you're right. I'd like to see the World Cup go to someone new this year, so it would be fabulous if Colombia and Belgium made it through to the final four along with Holland/Costa Rica.
    our best player:

lustige-bilder-gif-fussball-wm-2014-18.gif

Suarez memorabilia:

article-0-1F56CA9A00000578-561_634x549.jpg

Well...not exactly the best game so far...Germany did *just* enough to get through...the early goal allowed them to sit back and close the game down...
    YNWA 97
    Well, it was one of the better matches in the worldcup.
    Our boys where really tired - sans Müller who ran like a rabbit :D

Glad that we are in the halffinal - probably against Brazil :#

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Well, it was one of the better matches in the worldcup.
    Our boys where really tired - sans Müller who ran like a rabbit :D

Glad that we are in the halffinal - probably against Brazil :#

Neymar is out which is a shame. Was really enjoying watching him.

Germany v France was pretty boring.

Think we were spoilt by the US game. I haven't seen a game since that has excited me.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    Suprised Neymar is out. Thought he was being a bit if a pansy! :D

My money is now on Germany
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Every once in a while, a team wins the World Cup by just knowing how to nip a win. This is one of those years. Unfortunately, there really are no outstanding teams this year. Colombia was the closest we had had to a truly exciting team to watch, but the rest of the best - Germany, France, Holland, Argentina, Brazil - are good, but none are great or particularly exciting to watch. Holland and Argentina could still up their games sufficiently to do something, but I suspect neither will and Germany will do just enough to win it all. Apart from some excellent group-stage upsets and a couple of individual matches - Belgium v the US most notably - I don't think this will be an especially memorable World Cup.
    Brilliant goal from Argentina. -{
    welshboy78 wrote:

My money is now on Germany

Finally 8-)