Tom Ford Spectre Clothing Announcement and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,094MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Received my TF gear from London store...there were no tags in the box, no hanger for the jacket or protective suitor, not even a receipt...

And for what I paid on shipping I expected a much larger box...everything was squashed into one shirt box......groan.

Mantis, the unboxing portions of your reviews are always interesting, the N. Peal sweaters for instance. I really hope you speak about the fact all of your order was squished into a shirt box. I don't know how much you spent on shipping (with TF there would be a premium, without a doubt) but it certainly sounds like you did not get your money's worth.

Tintin, great photos. The Solden really looks lighter there than in the film scenes shown so far. The colors look great. Very good looking jacket. From your pics I know in TF I'm a 52 (well 51 if they have such a thing). {[]
    The only thing I don't love about the jacket is the zippers. Too showy. I think black would have been better. Just my opinion. Still 4 or 5 times what it should cost, though. :v
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    NPEAL always shaft me on the packaging too for some reason (cost cutting postage no doubt). I just get a transparent NPEAL bag
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ashwinsuresh1ashwinsuresh1 Los Angeles, CA, United StatesPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    And not to be a pest, but any confirmation from anyone whether Shiny Black or Havana?? ?:)

Nobody knows for sure and diff TF stores have diff opinions. I think the latest consensus here is that they are the black.
    Bah yeah this has been my experience. NY said shiny black, but my helper at BH yesterday threw the havanas in my cart.
    The Mantis wrote:
    Also, did anyone else pick up the sky pant? I found my size at Beverly Hills today and snagged it immediately. Tried hard to get it tailored as slim as humanly possible given the double pleat.

As a general question, do you guys see this pant as wearable with anything besides the extreme-style Solden boots?

Love to wear screen accurate stuff, but - while the cardigan, polos, suits, etc. look fine in the real world - I'm wondering how you guys think this pant might look with the N. Peal sweater/TF Solden jacket and TF oxfords/loafers. Might just return and use $$$ towards another suit but I'm torn...

I am sorry to say I think the pants are horrible (my opinion) and outside of sledding I couldn't imagine wearing them...I cancelled mine.
    Yeah I've been waffling on it since getting it measured up last night. Going to be tough to get wear unless I'm in Tahoe/Aspen wearing the boots as well.

Think I'm going to switch to either of the following from A-W 2015 to try to come as close as possible to the poster pant

Look 13 (STYLE NO: 61004K GREY FLANNEL HOUNDSTOOTH BUCKLEY 18CM PANT WITH BELT LOOPS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-13.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

or

Look 16 (STYLE NO: 756F42 CHARCOAL IRREGULAR MICRO HOUNDSTOOTH TAILORED FROGMOUTH POCKET 18CM TAILORED SPORT PANTS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-16.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

Maybe TF didn't make the poster pant, but I'll be happy if I get something pretty close considering the details like the frogmouth pocket and fit through the leg match perfectly.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    Also, did anyone else pick up the sky pant? I found my size at Beverly Hills today and snagged it immediately. Tried hard to get it tailored as slim as humanly possible given the double pleat.

As a general question, do you guys see this pant as wearable with anything besides the extreme-style Solden boots?

Love to wear screen accurate stuff, but - while the cardigan, polos, suits, etc. look fine in the real world - I'm wondering how you guys think this pant might look with the N. Peal sweater/TF Solden jacket and TF oxfords/loafers. Might just return and use $$$ towards another suit but I'm torn...

I am sorry to say I think the pants are horrible (my opinion) and outside of sledding I couldn't imagine wearing them...I cancelled mine.
    Yeah I've been waffling on it since getting it measured up last night. Going to be tough to get wear unless I'm in Tahoe/Aspen wearing the boots as well.

Think I'm going to switch to either of the following from A-W 2015 to try to come as close as possible to the poster pant

Look 13 (STYLE NO: 61004K GREY FLANNEL HOUNDSTOOTH BUCKLEY 18CM PANT WITH BELT LOOPS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-13.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

or

Look 16 (STYLE NO: 756F42 CHARCOAL IRREGULAR MICRO HOUNDSTOOTH TAILORED FROGMOUTH POCKET 18CM TAILORED SPORT PANTS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-16.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

Maybe TF didn't make the poster pant, but I'll be happy if I get something pretty close considering the details like the frogmouth pocket and fit through the leg match perfectly.

Look 16 is a possibility since irregular micro houndstooth could describe the pattern. We just need a closer photo. Look 13 is definitely not it since the poster trousers are not houndstooth, and the pattern isn't that large.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • HoldenHolden UKPosts: 664MI6 Agent
    08658E19-FF23-41C6-BA5F-6C9E905273F4-943-00000034EADB4B22.jpg

BEEC33C4-CE91-4AD2-9B13-EF92CFBB1238-943-00000034EF9C3269.jpg

;)
    Very nice!! Now I'm guessing you picked up yourself in store!? :D
    How did you guess, P? :D

Yep, went this afternoon. Store policy to remove tags, so I insisted on 'virgin' ties from the catacombs. I think I've cleared them out of tie boxes, as well! :))

Had to cough up an extra £15, as the Rome tie is more expensive than the others.

For those that didn't get a hangar with the blouson, the explanation is that it's sold as knitwear, so won't normally be provided with one.

Tried on the navy polo. As others have stated, beautiful material and detailing on the sleeves and hem. But it's that neckline that made me hesitate. My boobs just aren't big enough to show enough cleavage....

Looked at all the suits. White dinner jacket was nice. The blue Prince of Wales is quite vivid in the flesh, but distinctive. The black herringbone and topcoat from Rome are, well, black and they was a foul black/grey check - haven't seen that in any preview shots yet. The most wearable are the blue sharkskin and the grey track stripe.
    The navy herringbone Chesterfield with teal moleskin collar is lovely. So beautifully soft to the touch and light in weight, also. But then it is 50% cashmere & 50% silk, so should feel special.

I'm undecided size wise over the blouson, so have left it in store at the moment (although, it's paid for long ago) Sleeves are plenty long enough and feels fine on the shoulders, but it's pretty tight across the chest. I was wearing a shirt and jumper underneath though. I know it's supposed to look very fitted, but they are just seeing whether they can get a larger size to try.

1DDAD1DD-72DC-411E-9A1F-67AEDF5F2636-1014-0000003952E198D7.jpg
    Ah maybe that's why nobody is getting separate tie boxes - low stock!!!

Thanks for all the info, very helpful indeed!!!

I believe the Rome tie is a slightly bigger tie (according to the buy book) so I guess they charge for that extra material :)

The blue sharkskin and grey stripe are the suits I like. How dark is the sharkskin? Milan sent me a pic but it looked bright (presume due to the phone flash)

Blouson looks very nice!!!
    I was going to take photos of the suit fabrics, but colours didn't look representative on my phone.

I would describe the sharkskin as navy - perhaps not as dark as midnight, but difficult to accurately determine colours in bright artificial lighting. Certainly not light in colour. The POW is much bluer and more vivid.

The sharkskin has a sheen to it though, which maybe explains it looking lighter. Just looked to be a very practical lightweight suit to me, whereas the grey stripe is a little more business formal, IMO.

Btw, I asked about the Sölden pants and was shown a picture of one of the staff wearing them. He commented about the double pleat and the excess material around the backside & thighs. Verdict, nice material, but not flattering, or practical for street use.
    Oh and the blue shirt with the fly back cuffs was nice. Not a huge fan of the pointed collar shape, but wouldn't stop me if I really wanted one.
    I was sent this pic of the Navy Sharkskin but guessing not accurate due to lighting and i guess that sheen you refer to

SPECTRE%20Sharkskin.jpeg
    Mmm.....don't recall it looking that 'blue'. The POW did.

I guess you are going to have to pay TF a visit when you come to London :D
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Returning this polo to exchange for a bigger size. From a 48 to a 50. The blouson I will be keeping.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    Yes indeed (make sure I leave my credit cards in the hotel) :)
    Quite! :)
    Blouson looks very cool David!!

Since your in great shape the polo looks pretty good too though I'm guessing it's too tight for comfort
    Yeah, just need a smidgen more room....
    Like the detailing on it!!!!
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,094MI6 Agent
    Holden wrote:
    Yep, went this afternoon. Store policy to remove tags, so I insisted on 'virgin' ties from the catacombs. I think I've cleared them out of tie boxes, as well! :))

Store policy to remove tags? That's ridiculous. Good for you for insisting on 'virgin' ties. Why were they were so short supplied with tie boxes? You'd think there would be enough supplied for the mail order pre-sales.
    Tried on the navy polo. As others have stated, beautiful material and detailing on the sleeves and hem. But it's that neckline that made me hesitate. My boobs just aren't big enough to show enough cleavage....

That's the thing, if you're not built like DC (or Mantis) I think the polos look a bit feminine. I wear v-neck undershirts, but deep skipper collars on polo shirts don't work on me.
    The blue Prince of Wales is quite vivid in the flesh, but distinctive.

Sorry to hear that. I normally dislike windowpane suits, but in pictures this suit looked subtle and rather nice. If it's bolder in person it will only confirm my bias.
    Holden wrote:
    I was going to take photos of the suit fabrics, but colours didn't look representative on my phone.

I would describe the sharkskin as navy - perhaps not as dark as midnight, but difficult to accurately determine colours in bright artificial lighting. Certainly not light in colour. The POW is much bluer and more vivid.

The sharkskin has a sheen to it though, which maybe explains it looking lighter. Just looked to be a very practical lightweight suit to me, whereas the grey stripe is a little more business formal, IMO.

Btw, I asked about the Sölden pants and was shown a picture of one of the staff wearing them. He commented about the double pleat and the excess material around the backside & thighs. Verdict, nice material, but not flattering, or practical for street use.

I'm most interested in the look of the Navy sharkskin. The PTS sharkskin in Skyfall was my favorite of that film's suits. How shiny was it, Holden? Distractingly so?

I'm looking at having a suit made for my brother's wedding next year, and a navy sharkskin may fit the bill.
  • singhammersinghammer Posts: 108MI6 Agent
    Hi David, the blouson looks awesome. Is it size 48, too?
    In truth, I don't know whether they are particularly short of tie boxes, but when I asked for individual boxes, the assistant commented 'if we have enough boxes', whilst looking at the manager, who said, "It's OK, we have enough boxes" - although, I have bought quite a few things in person and had a coat made, from the store.

A couple of female friends said that the V-neck polo reminded them of what they wore for PE lessons in the 70s and to avoid it... :D

The sharkskin isn't in any way shiny like mohair, for instance - it's subtle, so nothing to worry about.
    singhammer wrote:
    Hi David, the blouson looks awesome. Is it size 48, too?

Yep...a 48..
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,343MI6 Agent
    Sounds like pulling teeth trying to get those things most companies give out gratis, and this after you spend 2 and a half grand on "knitwear" or a grand on a few ties...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    I must say I just had the usual great service from the Milan store this afternoon.

I simply enquired about what suits they had in stock etc and 5 mins later I'm getting whats app texts and pictures sent to me on demand whilst he is walking around the store! -{
  • singhammersinghammer Posts: 108MI6 Agent
    Yes, Milan is great! Thanks Welshboy for the tip.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I must say I just had the usual great service from the Milan store this afternoon.

I simply enquired about what suits they had in stock etc and 5 mins later I'm getting whats app texts and pictures sent to me on demand whilst he is walking around the store! -{
    Emanuele is the man.
    Took a TF day trip; happy to confirm at least one thing. 52mm lens Havanas are definitely in the film. Shiny blacks might be too, but this confirms for sure that the Havanas are in (I think the color has more character personally).

image001.jpg

I don't have an exact match on the frogmouth trouser fabric, but I went ahead and made my choice.

The closest swatches we could find (using MattS's computer rendering and the 300dpi photo of the poster) were look 16 from A-W 2015 (#1 below) and 2 others.

#1 (irregular micro houndstooth):
    IMG_4241.jpg

#2:
    IMG_4242.jpg

#3:
    IMG_4243.jpg

Sorry to not jot down codes. Let me know if you guys want them, and I'll grab them on my trip to pick up my dinner jacket.

I went w/ #1 because it looked pretty close, it's in A-W 2015 and the uneven weave had some character to it. Sizing is TIGHT (I'm normally a 30 waist [or 46 in tailored TF clothing], and both sizes 46 and 48 were too tight by a decent margin). To give you guys another data point, I grabbed the most recent TF slim fit jeans in size 30 and required no adjustment. Given the difficulty pinning down the right size, I went MTM vs. made to order (none of these pants are stocked, so you'll have to do one or the other... fabric #1 was available OTR but on pants with side tabs and normal pockets). The tightness of the fit here had me pretty convinced this is the right trouser, particularly given how tight these look on DC in the film.

Swatches #2 and #3 might be a little closer to MattS's picture from a microscopic perspective, but looked a little more like separated suit pants in my opinion.

Cost of doing these MTM actually came out less than the sky pant :). I'm sure I'll be the goat when Jany tells us these trousers were bought for $40 from Topman, but I'm content to say this is as close to screen accurate as I care to get for now. Look forward to sharing how they look in 6 weeks or so.
    I'm sure I'll be the goat when Jany tells us these trousers were bought for $40 from Topman

Haha - you could be right!!!!

look forward to seeing your dinner jacket and trousers when received {[]
    Trouser_Design_1.jpg

Actual film trouser fabric here. Might actually be #3 from what I posted. What do you guys think? Idk... I feel like I could debate this forever. #1 looked the best imo and #3 might be the most screen accurate.