Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Continuing from my post #292. I've received the chinos from Germany 3days to UK. Anyway these are a good product. Soft feel slightly brushed texture, slim fit and true to size. Most importantly the colour is spot on to some scenes. I would say the exact colour is most like this one
    IMG_20160222_185841.jpg
    And to compare

IMG_20160218_215940.jpg
    All in all I'm very pleased and these are a bargain.

Great! Glad it looks like they're going to work for you. If you're okay with it, I'll include your comments here in the post. Any chance of a real world pic?
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Any thought about adding watches to the site? Not everyone can afford an Omega or Rolex so I think it would be brilliant if we can come up with budget versions.

My first addition would be the Seiko SNXS77 as a budget version for the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra from Skyfall. Many available for under $100 on ebay it is a perfect budget option.

Thoughts?

Thanks for that!

A few pages back I asked if any of the watch experts here would want to help write a post about affordable alternative watches, but no one seemed interested. But some folks were kind enough to share their suggestions. So, yes, I would like to put together a list of alternative watches; I plan to start buy including a couple of suggestions in the upcoming "Extras" Bond Wardrobe post. Then I'll work on a dedicated article.

All the best!

I started this thread ages ago when i purchased a Seiko and popped a NATOP on it - i think it generated other suggestions for watch alternatives

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/45365/frugal-seamaster-300-alternative/
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Continuing from my post #292. I've received the chinos from Germany 3days to UK. Anyway these are a good product. Soft feel slightly brushed texture, slim fit and true to size. Most importantly the colour is spot on to some scenes. I would say the exact colour is most like this one
    IMG_20160222_185841.jpg
    And to compare

IMG_20160218_215940.jpg

Great! Glad it looks like they're going to work for you. If you're okay with it, I'll include your comments here in the post. Any chance of a real world pic?
    Yeah no problem, I'll post a pic in the morning.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    canoe2 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    IMG_20160222_185841.jpg
    And to compare

IMG_20160218_215940.jpg

• DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    edited May 2016
    Withdrawn
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • esk1020esk1020 Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    Any thought about adding watches to the site? Not everyone can afford an Omega or Rolex so I think it would be brilliant if we can come up with budget versions.

My first addition would be the Seiko SNXS77 as a budget version for the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra from Skyfall. Many available for under $100 on ebay it is a perfect budget option.

Thoughts?

I did some looking for a frugal seamaster alternative and picked up the Seiko SNZH57 and really like it. I added the NATO strap and it is very comfortable. This is the gold accent version, and they sell the standard version also (SNZH55). I hope to someday be able to swap out the bezel for the standard.

IMG_1572.jpg
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Dufus wrote:
    At the risk of asking a seemingly ridiculous question...........

Has anyone found a decent alternative to the white formal shirts in the Morocco scenes (with the BC jacket/trousers) and indeed with many of the suits? I realise there are millions of 'white shirts' available but I'm really looking for something which replicates the collar length and design.

Any thoughts?

The cocktail cuffs of the Morocco shirt will be the hardest thing to find to replicate that shirt. Budget cocktail cuffs don't exist, unless you try a low-end online shirtmaker that allows you to supply your own design. Natty Shirts may allow you to do that for about 30USD. I had a cocktail cuff shirt made by them with my design a few years ago, but it took a number of tries to get the shirt right because they didn't follow all of the measurements and specs I gave them.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    edited May 2016
    Removed
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
    edited February 2016
    esk1020 wrote:

Thoughts?

I did some looking for a frugal seamaster alternative and picked up the Seiko SNZH57 and really like it. I added the NATO strap and it is very comfortable. This is the gold accent version, and they sell the standard version also (SNZH55). I hope to someday be able to swap out the bezel for the standard.

IMG_1572.jpg

Mine is the same watch but the standard version (SNZH55) as per the thread, so both options are covered as frugal alternatives with pictures of both on NATO
    Dufus wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Dufus wrote:
    At the risk of asking a seemingly ridiculous question...........

Has anyone found a decent alternative to the white formal shirts in the Morocco scenes (with the BC jacket/trousers) and indeed with many of the suits? I realise there are millions of 'white shirts' available but I'm really looking for something which replicates the collar length and design.

Any thoughts?

The cocktail cuffs of the Morocco shirt will be the hardest thing to find to replicate that shirt. Budget cocktail cuffs don't exist, unless you try a low-end online shirtmaker that allows you to supply your own design. Natty Shirts may allow you to do that for about 30USD. I had a cocktail cuff shirt made by them with my design a few years ago, but it took a number of tries to get the shirt right because they didn't follow all of the measurements and specs I gave them.

Hi Matt

Not so worried about the cuffs (I have a lovely Anthony Sinclair shirt on order with those....) - it's more the collar I'm looking for in a white shirt.
    Marks and Spencer do a forward point collar shirt which looks similar on the collar.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Dufus wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Hi Matt

Not so worried about the cuffs (I have a lovely Anthony Sinclair shirt on order with those....) - it's more the collar I'm looking for in a white shirt.
    Marks and Spencer do a forward point collar shirt which looks similar on the collar.

Which style? Any chance of a link?
    Tennyson wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Dufus wrote:

Hi Matt

Which style? Any chance of a link?
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/2in-longer-ultimate-non-iron-pure-cotton-shirt-with-stainaway/p/p21044995
    Try that :D
    Thanks, that's awesome
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    Saw this over at dappered.com. Amazon has launched a new line of affordable men's wear including some pretty decent looking wingtip boots (Skyfall). There's also a possible Mexico suit!

http://dappered.com/2016/02/amazon-is-now-making-its-on-private-label-clothes/

May be worth checking out their other shoes and clothes as well. Prices look very budget friendly!

image.jpg

image.jpg
    drum007 wrote:
    Saw this over at dappered.com. Amazon has launched a new line of affordable men's wear including some pretty decent looking wingtip boots (Skyfall). There's also a possible Mexico suit!

May be worth checking out their other shoes and clothes as well. Prices look very budget friendly!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Saw those as well on dappered's post today. Could have potential, especially the suit. I'll add them as soon as I can.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    canoe2 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:
    IMG_20160222_185841.jpg
    And to compare

IMG_20160218_215940.jpg

Here we go photo of the Lee chinos, my photo shows them a touch lighter than they actually are, the eBay photos are much nearer the actual colour.
    DSC_0007.jpg
  • cederic0011cederic0011 UKPosts: 181MI6 Agent
    drum007 wrote:

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is full list of "frugal" bond alternatives here for Spectre from Dappered website:
    http://dappered.com/2015/11/steal-the-style-spectre/
    Next Bond Wardrobe post is up: Outerwear and Footwear:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/02/24/building-a-bond-wardrobe-outerwear-and-footwear/

I'm going to take some time to catch up on some of the other posts that are going out of date and to put together that Matchless Mod post. Then it's on to Wardrobe details and extras.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Next Bond Wardrobe post is up: Outerwear and Footwear:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/02/24/building-a-bond-wardrobe-outerwear-and-footwear/

I'm going to take some time to catch up on some of the other posts that are going out of date and to put together that Matchless Mod post. Then it's on to Wardrobe details and extras.

Thanks for the Topanga mention! I hope people like that shoe and eventually post comparison pics.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    Picked up the Croft & Barrow mock neck from Kohl's online to go with Daniel's Solden jacket.. @ $18 a really nice budget alternative that really does a decent job as a "close enough".... Thanks again for the great suggestions on your site Canoe

photo_2.jpg
    armenianmovieman: my pleasure! It was a great find!

MFisher: Looks good! Is that the Eclipse Heather? Looks darker than on the website. How's the fit?
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent
    Yeah.. that is the Eclipse heather.. kind of wish I ordered the cruise blue as well.. @ 18 bucks why not.. but it appeared too bright on the web page.. fit is slightly loose in the body and sleeves.. as I went with my standard size.. although if I had sized down I feel like it would have choked me out at the neck.. Curious to see if it draws up any after laundering.. regardless, I am content with the fit as I don't care much for really form fitting clothing..
    Just looking through the icon alternatives site (still loving your work) I was reading the new build the bond wardrobe and have a great (IMHO) suggestion for the brown chukkas, I've got some lucini Harrison suede chukkas in blue, black and brown they are really good boots £69.99 at schuperb, welted danite sole really good quality fir the price.
    Anyway just putting it out there.
  • IA-SteveBIA-SteveB IowaPosts: 62MI6 Agent
    I don't know if you all have Dillards in your area but they are having an amazing sale. Most fall/winter stuff is 50% off and an additional 40% off of that. I was able to procure several JB inspired additions to my wardrobe. Not bad adding a nice Daniel Cremieux leather jacket similar to the Skyfall model, regularly $495 for under $150. :)

I am thankful for this forum because it really helped me build a good foundation and to break out of my comfort zone. It's kind of funny looking through the fine clothes and wondering if the Daniel Craig JB would wear it.
  • explore007explore007 Posts: 195MI6 Agent
    Dufus wrote:
    Id be interested in seeing the Esprit ones too - do it some pics up please

A budget Danner boot alternative are these from Clarks - really good quality, Goretex lined and very comfy - swap the laces for black and I have coloured the sole trim with permanent black marker pen and have a great alternative for only £60 at the moment (bought 2 pairs!) : url]http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26112570?cm_mmc=Google-_-Product-Listing-Ads-_-PLA-_-la&kpid=26112570&gclid=CLXalNTCmMsCFUUOwwodCUkC8wl[/url

Also picking up on the watch posts, a great budget alternative Omega 300 is this from Rotary - have changed the strap for the Nato and been wearing it for a month - it has the NH35A movement and has lost about 1 second a day - great quality at the price - not SA but not bad url]http://www.watchshop.com/mens-rotary-exclusive-automatic-watch-gb00488-04-p99987809.html?altproduct=1[/url
  • explore007explore007 Posts: 195MI6 Agent
    So, with Dan's Royale Filmware Solden jacket on the way, I've been trying to put together frugal alternatives for the rest of the outfit. For the boots, I was just going to use my Aldo alternatives to the Islay because my budget is running thin :D but, I would love to see some alternatives if anyone has found any. For the pants, I was going to go with black joggers to get an approximate look. The problem with joggers is that they are almost all drawstring. I did find one pair of Uniqlo joggers that has a botton front:

https://m.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-jogger-pants-176266.html?color=09

For the mock neck, there are the options from Lands End and LLBean, but none of the colors really match up. Here are the options I found that are closest in color (Cabellas is "Night" and D&J is navy)

http://www.amazon.com/Devon-Jones-Sueded-Cotton-Turtleneck/dp/B002VMB37Y?th=1&psc=1

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-first-fork-sueded-jersey-mock-turtleneck/_/R-8250#pdp_productFit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-DRI-BALANCE-SNOWY-RIDGE-MOCK-NECK-REG/1632081.uts?productVariantId=4110593&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=45-137818397-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04112785&rid=20

All of these options will likely fit big and will need to be tailored, but they are pretty cheap to begin with, so it shouldn't be too expensive in the end. I'm probably going to go with the Woolrich even though it has side vents because I like the color and it looks like the nicest of the bunch. I will always be tucking it in for a SA for, so the side vents don't bother me. Fell in love with this outfit watching Spectre over and over on ITunes. Would love to know if anyone else has found anything. -{

Replied to the wrong post - Apologies to everyone - meant to pick up on the suggestions for Danner boot alternatives

A budget Danner boot alternative are these from Clarks - really good quality, Goretex lined and very comfy - swap the laces for black and I have coloured the sole trim with permanent black marker pen and have a great alternative for only £60 at the moment (bought 2 pairs!) : url]http://www.clarks.co.uk/p/26112570?cm_mmc=Google-_-Product-Listing-Ads-_-PLA-_-la&kpid=26112570&gclid=CLXalNTCmMsCFUUOwwodCUkC8wl[/url

Also picking up on the watch posts, a great budget alternative Omega 300 is this from Rotary - have changed the strap for the Nato and been wearing it for a month - it has the NH35A movement and has lost about 1 second a day - great quality at the price - not SA but not bad url]http://www.watchshop.com/mens-rotary-exclusive-automatic-watch-gb00488-04-p99987809.html?altproduct=1[/url
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    I just purchased the Land's End slim fit cords. Only $15 with promo code. I also picked up some long sleeve polos for $11 each (Navy not on sale though).
    Hi all
    Next post is up: Bond Wardrobe: Extras and Details: http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/02/29/building-bond-wardrobe-extras-details/

Look forward to hearing feedback; I tried to work with some different ideas with this one.

Quick note: a lot of people suggested the Seiko 5 as a watch alternative, but I wasn't able to include everyone's name in the post. Since Tennyson started a thread about that specific topic, I referred people to it. Hope that works!

Chriscoop: I checked out those boots and your comment on the site. I added the link for you. Thanks again!

All the best!