Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Got inspired by the Daniel Craig Personal Effects thread (and my own selfish need for a bag): alternatives for the Belstaff 554 Colonial Shoulder Bag:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/03/29/belstaff-554-colonial-messenger-bag/

I have one of the 554 replicas. It has the cotton badge like the one you didn't care for, but without the "newer look" in the pictures. I'd guess it's like the one from Ser Bags, but I picked it up for under $20 off ebay over a year ago. It's fine for a cheap bag, but I've found that I prefer using a more structured messenger or laptop bag so it doesn't get much use.

I'd say whichever 554 replica you go for, don't spend over $20-$30.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    I have one of the 554 replicas. It has the cotton badge like the one you didn't care for, but without the "newer look" in the pictures. I'd guess it's like the one from Ser Bags, but I picked it up for under $20 off ebay over a year ago. It's fine for a cheap bag, but I've found that I prefer using a more structured messenger or laptop bag so it doesn't get much use.

I'd say whichever 554 replica you go for, don't spend over $20-$30.

I actually tried using my laptop bag for a while, but it just wasn't doing the trick; too big and too heavy (it's leather). I also tried a daypack, but it became a pain taking the thing on and off just to get a juice box or snack for the kid. So I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted going into the search: a small version of a diaper bag with a little bit of style :))

The pricing on these bags is all over the place; I saw the exact same bag I bought on a photography supply site. They wanted $99 bucks for it PLUS extra if you wanted the padded inserts for your camera gear. I was okay paying $35 for it; probably could of got it for cheaper but I was in a bit of a rush and Amazon fulfilled the order so I didn't have to worry about shipping from Asia.

You should see the price they're trying to sell them for on Aliexpress: $70 and up! 8-)

That was actually the first option I listed in the BR Peacoat post. Only 52% wool though, so some people may not like it.
  • VoxIsMyCowboyVoxIsMyCowboy Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:

That was actually the first option I listed in the BR Peacoat post. Only 52% wool though, so some people may not like it.

Ah I just stumbled upon it and thought I'd share.

Sorry if I came across a little short, wasn't my intention! Meant to be more "Great minds think alike!" {[]
    The look of the peacoat seems good . I do like the fact it comes in charcoal, but too warm where I live for even a 52% wool blend. My H&M cotton peacoat doesn't get much wear either. I've never even taken the tags off my Billy Reid cotton peacoat.
  • McQueenMcQueen Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Budget Merona brand harrington from Target - http://www.target.com/p/men-s-harrington-jacket-merona/-/A-50406432
    canoe2 wrote:

Sorry if I came across a little short, wasn't my intention! Meant to be more "Great minds think alike!" {[]

Ha nah I know :-)
    Just got my Banana Republic Kentfield Chinos. They are quite nice. While a little big in the waist (I had to go one size up as my size wasn't in stock) they look good. I may have them altered at a later time, but for now they are good and fit fine with a belt. More of a slim straight fit with the size up, but I prefer that to an overly skinny look.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    Canoe2, I just received my Cutter & Buck long sleeve polo. Great recommendation! Like you, I'd encourage AJBers to size down. I'm a large usually and the medium C&B is on the generous size of fitted for me.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Men's Warehouse is having a clearance sale with free shipping...... here's the suit and blazer sections. Haven't had a chance to look yet but there's bound to be some Bond stuff, no?

http://www.menswearhouse.com/clearance/mens-suits?cm_sp=2016_03_31-_-HP_HERO-_-50OFFCLRSUITS

http://www.menswearhouse.com/clearance/sport-coats?cm_sp=2016_03_31-_-HP_HERO-_-50OFFCLRSPORTCOATS
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
    Hi all. On vacation so I'm a little slow to respond.

Cheverian: glad you like the C&B! Question about the collar: is it a true self collar (i.e. the same material as the shirt) is it more like a true rugby shirt that uses a different material on the collar? It was hard to tell from the ebay/amazon pics what they used.

Armenianmovieman: I checked out MW about a month ago when their spring offerings were launched, but I will definitely give them another look when I get back. Thanks for sharing!

Thetinyman89: nice find! I also saw a great one in a Mango Mens store on sale for about $20, but I couldnt find it on their site. It was really close to the original, small flower print and all.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    not a bad alternative ,nice find.
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    The collar of the C&B polo is the same Pima cotton as the rest of the shirt but it isn't floppy. It's a nice looking garment, dressier than most polos.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    This is a repost but there's a decent sale at Civilianaire for whoever wants awesome looking henleys.... some said these were very reminiscent of Mikael's shirts in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and they're finally on sale!

Some very Dragon Tattoo henleys are on sale at Civilianaire...... you guys should check it out.

https://civilianaire.com/collections/mens-henleys

M51605000_9122_FRNT_2048x2048.jpg?v=1440810972

M51605000_4341_FRNT_2048x2048.jpg?v=1440811301

M51605000_9100_FRNT_2048x2048.jpg?v=1440811384

M51605000_4391_FRNT_2048x2048.jpg?v=1445899460

M51605000_9004_FRNT_2048x2048.jpg?v=1445899978

I ordered 5 after I saw this post and they were delivered today. Great fit and very well made. A steal at the sale price!
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    Cheverian: thanks! I hoped it was like that.

Enjoying Death: I ordered two henleys and a t-shirt, but still waiting for them. Great to know you like them.
    Glad you guys liked the henleys because the sale is done and the website has done a complete overhaul..... apparently coming soon.

Unfortunately I missed out on this sale.

Oh, well.... next time! But I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • TeenageBondTeenageBond London, UKPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    I wonder where NEXT got their inspiration from for this navy polo with a banded bottom... ;)

20160402_114142.jpg

20160402_114147.jpg

20160402_114154.jpg

20160402_114200.jpg

20160402_114212.jpg

The detailing on the sleeves also rings a few bells :007)
    No'johnny' collar though.
    I wonder where NEXT got their inspiration from for this navy polo with a banded bottom... ;)

20160402_114142.jpg

20160402_114147.jpg

20160402_114154.jpg

20160402_114200.jpg

20160402_114212.jpg

The detailing on the sleeves also rings a few bells :007)
    No'johnny' collar though.

I thought we'd start seeing more options in this style with the spring offerings from different brands. Honestly, I havent done much to update the post for TF SPECTRE polo options. IMHO with Magnoli's more SA accurate option on the market at such a reasonable price, I dont think most Bond fans need to look much further.

I still think it's interesting to see how the design of one shirt in one Bond film trickles through a whole industry in such a short amount of time!
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent

This is fantastic! Thanks for the find. I have nearly all my "Skyfall outfits" but was struggling to find an Enjoying Death shirt that came close to the original.
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
    Hi everyone,
    I have some new posts coming soon, but I needed to get caught up on some real world work.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I also want to let everyone know about a change in the site. As most of you know, I started Iconic Alternatives as a hobby to help myself and the community here keep track of budget Bond clothing options on the market. The fact is, this hobby is taking up more and more of my time and I'm really enjoying it! Also, the site is now receiving significant traffic from search engines and other forums, even though I haven't done anything to promote it other than improve some SEO.

Long story short, I've decided to start using an affiliate link service on the site called VigLinks. Basically, and affiliate link service allows the site owner to earn a commission when a visitor clicks on a link and buys something. For example, if you read an article on alternatives for the Harrington jacket, click on the link to Marks and Spencer's option and buy it, then M&S pays me a commission of 5% of the purchase price. The price of the jacket is NOT affected for the buyer.

I've decided to go this route for 2 reasons: first, as I said, I find myself devoting more and more time to the site and I really want to keep producing quality content and features for myself and all the visitors; to justify the extra time needed to do this, I would like to earn some income. Second, although the site is not expensive to host and maintain, it does cost some money to run and I would like to offset those costs.

So that's it! Most people won't even notice that an affiliate link program is being used in the posts, but the site started here and has grown thanks in large part to the passion, experience and support I have found being part of this community. That is why I want to be completely honest and open with everyone about this decision. I will also be including a disclosure about the use of VigLinks on the site so that everything is transparent (and legal!).

Thank you again for your help, sharing and support! If anyone has any questions, please ask away!
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    Sounds like a great idea and in my opinion you're very much entitled to a little percentage for all the hard work and the links you've provided. I love IA!
    Murder | Employment.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I have some new posts coming soon, but I needed to get caught up on some real world work.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I also want to let everyone know about a change in the site. As most of you know, I started Iconic Alternatives as a hobby to help myself and the community here keep track of budget Bond clothing options on the market. The fact is, this hobby is taking up more and more of my time and I'm really enjoying it! Also, the site is now receiving significant traffic from search engines and other forums, even though I haven't done anything to promote it other than improve some SEO.

Long story short, I've decided to start using an affiliate link service on the site called VigLinks. Basically, and affiliate link service allows the site owner to earn a commission when a visitor clicks on a link and buys something. For example, if you read an article on alternatives for the Harrington jacket, click on the link to Marks and Spencer's option and buy it, then M&S pays me a commission of 5% of the purchase price. The price of the jacket is NOT affected for the buyer.

I've decided to go this route for 2 reasons: first, as I said, I find myself devoting more and more time to the site and I really want to keep producing quality content and features for myself and all the visitors; to justify the extra time needed to do this, I would like to earn some income. Second, although the site is not expensive to host and maintain, it does cost some money to run and I would like to offset those costs.

So that's it! Most people won't even notice that an affiliate link program is being used in the posts, but the site started here and has grown thanks in large part to the passion, experience and support I have found being part of this community. That is why I want to be completely honest and open with everyone about this decision. I will also be including a disclosure about the use of VigLinks on the site so that everything is transparent (and legal!).

Thank you again for your help, sharing and support! If anyone has any questions, please ask away!

Best of luck canoe2!
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c945950/mens-haggar-tailored-fit-pinstripe-travel-performance-suit-separates.jsp

I don't know the details on the actual Tom Ford suit Bond wears when he sees the DB5 and gets the smartblood but this seems to be a good alternate, though the pants have only 2 sizes left, and if you have a Kohl's card you can get 30% off once a month on given dates.

$120 total.

c945950?wid=882&hei=882&op_sharpen=1
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • explore007explore007 Posts: 195MI6 Agent
    Not really a budget alternative but a good deal for UK abjer's - END Clothing have the Barbour Beacon in olive on sale for just £269 which is better than some ebay used jackets are going for - all sizes in stock as well: url]http://www.endclothing.com/gb/brands/barbour/barbour-beacon-sports-jacket-mwx0007ol71.html[/url