Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    edited October 2016
    my new vedoneire arrived today
    http://www.vedoneire.com/mens-vintage-w … 057-brown/
    Excellent quick service from Northern Ireland. I'm very happy with it, button closure with an unobtrusive quality zip ( brass) which will help keep the warmth in, colour is olive/ brown and the material is very soft and light, it doesn't feel over waxed and wears like a coat I've had for years.
    The build quality is superb, no loose ends or stitching pulls, it has a very well put together feel.
    An excellent find, and Mrs coop who is a woman of great taste and of only 32 said " oh I like that, very on trend and a nice colour.....that would look nice with your new cords"
    She also thought it was well worth the £39.95 I told her it cost :v ...
    Reduced from £129.95 of course :D mission accomplished, now to explain another pair of chukka boots when they arrive tomorrow!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Excellent quick service from Northern Ireland. I'm very happy with it, button closure with an unobtrusive quality zip ( brass) which will help keep the warmth in, colour is olive/ brown and the material is very soft and light, it doesn't feel over waxed and wears like a coat I've had for years.
    The build quality is superb, no loose ends or stitching pulls, it has a very well put together feel.
    An excellent find, and Mrs coop who is a woman of great taste and of only 32 said " oh I like that, very on trend and a nice colour.....that would look nice with your new cords"
    She also thought it was well worth the £39.95 I told her it cost...
    Reduced from £129.95 of course :D mission accomplished, now to explain another pair of chukka boots when they arrive tomorrow!

Pics!!
  • hcantrellhcantrell CharlottePosts: 170MI6 Agent
    Dang it's back up to 129 :( Looks to be a wonderful alternative from the photo's on the website!
    "I don't think the dead care about vengeance."
    canoe2 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Pics!!
    There will be pics tonight glorious one :D
    hcantrell wrote:
    Dang it's back up to 129 :( Looks to be a wonderful alternative from the photo's on the website!

I think Chriscoop was joking about the low price. But when you visit the website, there is normally a pop-up that offers 15% off if you give them your email. So that should help a little.
    Well, I asked him 4 or 5 times. And armenianmovieman has finally written his first article! He takes a look at a non-Bond item: the white Henley from Jack Reacher ...

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/10/20/jack-reacher-henley/

Thanks armenianmovieman! {[]
    canoe2 wrote:
    hcantrell wrote:

I think Chriscoop was joking about the low price. But when you visit the website, there is normally a pop-up that offers 15% off if you give them your email. So that should help a little.
    Oops yes it was a joke, sorry but as canoe2 says, I got 15% discount and free shipping. Again sorry about that I should have put the appropriate emoji in. :#
    canoe2 wrote:
    Chriscoop wrote:

Pics!!
    Some pics of the vedoneire vintage wax blazer.

20161020_195831.jpg

20161020_195809.jpg

20161020_195746.jpg

20161020_195907.jpg

Just out the shower so no head shot you lucky chaps.

20161020_195633.jpg
    Looks great! Glad to hear you're happy with the quality as well. My Vedoneire is still going strong. Wore it a ton during this last rainy season.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Well, I asked him 4 or 5 times. And armenianmovieman has finally written his first article! He takes a look at a non-Bond item: the white Henley from Jack Reacher ...

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/10/20/jack-reacher-henley/

Thanks armenianmovieman! {[]

Welcome to the club armenianmovieman! Fantastic article! {[]
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    Some decent and affordable Skyfall islay alternatives, currently on offer http://www.shuperb.co.uk/mens-c5/boots-c29/baker-mens-leather-brogue-derby-boots-brown-p6644
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Nice cardigan canoe2, and a DC label.
    Just spotted these.

20161018_210856.jpg
    Not a bad morrocco alternative. And a good price. Still full price at some stores and available at Amazon UK and US with a decent size range.
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222240463794
    If anyone is considering these, I'd recommend sizing up, my normal size 45/ UK 11 was not in stock so I've taken a punt on size 12 and are only slightly big, a thick pair of socks would fill the space.
    Thanks for the info about the boots, Chriscoop! {[] I'm working an a ton of post updates right now so it helps a lot!

I going to keep trying this "Footwear Friday" thing with the new post. Alternatives for the Church's Chetwynds PB wears in Goldeneye:

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/10/21/goldeneye-brown-oxford-brogues/
    Oh no "footwear Friday" sounds expensive 8-)
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Oh no "footwear Friday" sounds expensive 8-)

Don't think price. Think "cost per wear" :))
    Oh I do..... That's half the problem...I've justified over 30 odd pairs of shoes that way :#
    Heads up: if any of you BIG guys are looking for a deal on a used TF Cardigan, check out the Real Real. They have one in XXL/US46/IT56 for $595 plus an extra 20% off if you use the code FALLFAVES. They say the color is Brown, but it sure as hell looks like black in the pic.

https://www.therealreal.com/products/men/mens-shirts/cardigans/tom-ford-wool-braid-knit-cardigan-1

TOM28754_1_enlarged.jpg

It also looks close to the QoS one but I can't be 100% sure.
  • niegoslavniegoslav Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Hello guys! Thats my first post :)
    i've purchased Massimo Dutti version of the Solden Jacket. I must admit, its great! The quality is there, wool is nice, and its not that expensive! However, its more like Moncler Cardigan (stiching around pockets). The wool is in navy, as well as the quilted part. Still, gave me that Bond feel when thrown over NPeal Charcoal Mock Turtleneck, with my Speedmaster Reduced on NATO! B-) I highly recommend this piece to anyone interested in Solden look.
    niegoslav wrote:
    i've purchased Massimo Dutti version of the Solden Jacket. I must admit, its great! The quality is there, wool is nice, and its not that expensive! However, its more like Moncler Cardigan (stiching around pockets). The wool is in navy, as well as the quilted part. Still, gave me that Bond feel when thrown over NPeal Charcoal Mock Turtleneck, with my Speedmaster Reduced on NATO! B-) I highly recommend this piece to anyone interested in Solden look.

Welcome niegoslav! Good to hear the MD jacket is working for you! I haven't had a chance to check it out in store yet, so thanks for the quality report. {[]

Speaking of the Solden: as I've mentioned before, I have absolutely no need for a warm weather jacket where I live. But the price on that Tricot St. Raphael that's been on the Solden jacket post forever dropped to $17. So I picked one up as a prop. It's actually a really nice piece! Especially for under $20! I got a medium and the fit is snug but not tight. Definitely better looking than on the Amazon product page! So, for the price, definitely recommended if you don't mind all black.

Played around with it today ....

Solden-Flatlay-small.jpg

Some fun facts:

1. Those are my old Ray-Ban glacier glasses from 1991
    2. And my old rock climbing pants from about 1990
    3. The shirt is an old Patagonia capilene zip-neck circa 1994
    4. And the socks are a pair of winter weight Wigwams from around 2000
    5. The gloves are some no-name leather ones I picked in Spain in 2008

I was going to stick my old mountaineering boots in the pick, but seeing as they're bright orange (and buried deep in storage), I went with some black running shoes instead.

Bit of personal history in that there photo! :D

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • goneontheroadgoneontheroad Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    I got totally swept away in the options for the rest brunello cucinelli blazer. Having learned we've learned, what is our best budget bet on that one? I'm finally ready to attempt the Morocco look.
    Has their been a definitive alternative to the skyfall lodge Henley?

I just received my donegal merino basket Aran sweater for the Thomas crown alternative. The knit is spot on. I wore it today in a windy, wet 50oF. With a t shirt under.
    I was half expecting it to be partially windproof. It is not.
    I haven't fallen in love with it yet but I love the look and the quality is definitely there. Maybe a more still evening would have been better.
    I got totally swept away in the options for the rest brunello cucinelli blazer. Having learned we've learned, what is our best budget bet on that one? I'm finally ready to attempt the Morocco look.
    Has their been a definitive alternative to the skyfall lodge Henley?

I just received my donegal merino basket Aran sweater for the Thomas crown alternative. The knit is spot on. I wore it today in a windy, wet 50oF. With a t shirt under.
    I was half expecting it to be partially windproof. It is not.
    I haven't fallen in love with it yet but I love the look and the quality is definitely there. Maybe a more still evening would have been better.

If you can give me a week on the BC blazer, I going to update that post. Most of the alternatives are sold out now and since it's out of season, new options may be hard to find.

If you are not in a rush, check out ebay. Since I wrote those ebay articles, I've been checking there more and more. And there are some real Cucinelli blazers in the same fabric and color that show up from time to time (some details are different). If you check past sales, most of them go for around $500. Which is steep, but alot cheaper than a new one!

Good to hear about the sweater! I've had mine for years and they just get better with age.
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    niegoslav wrote:

Welcome niegoslav! Good to hear the MD jacket is working for you! I haven't had a chance to check it out in store yet, so thanks for the quality report. {[]

Speaking of the Solden: as I've mentioned before, I have absolutely no need for a warm weather jacket where I live. But the price on that Tricot St. Raphael that's been on the Solden jacket post forever dropped to $17. So I picked one up as a prop. It's actually a really nice piece! Especially for under $20! I got a medium and the fit is snug but not tight. Definitely better looking than on the Amazon product page! So, for the price, definitely recommended if you don't mind all black.

Played around with it today ....

Solden-Flatlay-small.jpg

Some fun facts:

1. Those are my old Ray-Ban glacier glasses from 1991
    2. And my old rock climbing pants from about 1990
    3. The shirt is an old Patagonia capilene zip-neck circa 1994
    4. And the socks are a pair of winter weight Wigwams from around 2000
    5. The gloves are some no-name leather ones I picked in Spain in 2008

I was going to stick my old mountaineering boots in the pick, but seeing as they're bright orange (and buried deep in storage), I went with some black running shoes instead.

Bit of personal history in that there photo! :D

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi Canoe2 - sorry, personal question, whats your sizes, i might pick one of those Raphaels up, but no size chart on amazon!
    In U.S. brands, I'm a medium in almost everything. 38 reg suit jacket; 40 in a slim fit. In Euro brands I normally need a large. I got a medium in the Tricot; I think I could have squeezed into a small, but it would have been very tight. The medium is snug but still comfortable for me, but it won't be confused for the super fitted SA Tom Ford, if that makes sense. I think the model on the Amazon page is a size medium and it looks like he's wearing a large. Mine doesn't look anywhere near as loose and baggy. Quality is good! I can't imagine anyone being disappointed for the price. Hope that helps!
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    In U.S. brands, I'm a medium in almost everything. 38 reg suit jacket; 40 in a slim fit. In Euro brands I normally need a large. I got a medium in the Tricot; I think I could have squeezed into a small, but it would have been very tight. The medium is snug but still comfortable for me, but it won't be confused for the super fitted SA Tom Ford, if that makes sense. I think the model on the Amazon page is a size medium and it looks like he's wearing a large. Mine doesn't look anywhere near as loose and baggy. Quality is good! I can't imagine anyone being disappointed for the price. Hope that helps!

cheers mate, that helps loads
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    For those that have a uniqlo close by, I just picked these up yesterday. Great color in person (picture doesn't do it justice) and puppy tooth pattern...best part is the fit. It mimics the SA one fit extremely well! And at 50% off if you are putting together the SPECTRE Bridge outfit this is more than worth the $20 you will spend. The stretch material is forgiving but makes this a pant that you can actually move in.

IMG_8831.jpg
  • goneontheroadgoneontheroad Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    Mantis, do you mind if I ask what sizes you take? We seem to be similar builds, it would help knowing the sizes that you're reviewing.
    I'm constantly between a medium and a large. Every time I order a medium, I should have gotten a large and vice versa. I'll soon be selling a lot of budget bond stuff in those two sizes, subsequently.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    edited October 2016
    The Mantis wrote:
    For those that have a uniqlo close by, I just picked these up yesterday. Great color in person (picture doesn't do it justice) and puppy tooth pattern...best part is the fit. It mimics the SA one fit extremely well! And at 50% off if you are putting together the SPECTRE Bridge outfit this is more than worth the $20 you will spend. The stretch material is forgiving but makes this a pant that you can actually move in.

IMG_8831.jpg

I tried these jeans last year and this year and they just did not work for me. Be aware that skinny means skinny. I sized up a couple sizes and still found them too skinny. Great color, but it can look like you are wearing tights if you have hips or thighs. (I'm 6'4', 188 lbs, so I am rather thin, but my legs aren't twigs.)

The reviews on Uniqlo's website indicate that in years past they were available in a slim, not skinny, cut. If only they still were.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/mens-stretch-skinny-fit-colored-jeans-172733.html
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Don't know if this has been posted before, but Topman has a good budget alternative for the Mr White jacket for £80. I spotted it in the shop today, and can confirm that the shearling comes off. I tried on a small (my usual size) and it was really tight on me, so if purchasing I suggest sizing up..

image.jpg

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&langId=-1&productId=26468839&Ntt=Navy+Wool+Blend+Faux+Shearling+Collar+Flight+Jacket&pageSize=20&defaultGridLayout=3&Nty=1&CE3_ENDECA_PRODUCT_ROLLUP_ENABLED=N&productOnlyCount=1&catalogId=33056&Dy=1&pageNum=1&productIdentifierproduct=product&x=0&y=0&storeId=12555&qubitRefinements=siteId%3DTopManUK
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
  • Colonel PotterColonel Potter Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    I went to a wedding yesterday and tried my budget Spectre PTS outfit:

IMG_0743.jpg
    angelicbond: I completely missed that one! I'll add to the next update, with credit to you!

Colonel Potter: Looking good! Can I use it in the gallery? Do you mind sharing some details?